Political Animals Exclusive: No Season 2 For Greg Berlanti's Acclaimed USA Network Miniseries

USA Network has opted not to order additional episodes of Political Animals, its acclaimed-yet-ratings-challenged drama from Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and starring Sigourney Weaver.

Although billed as a “limited series event,” Berlanti told TVLine over the summer that there was potential to spin more stories about the Barrish family (fronted by Weaver) and intrepid journo Susan Berg (Carla Gugino).

RELATED | USA Cancels Two Series, Including Fairly Legal

But the ratings never matched the universal raves it garnered; the Washington D.C.-set saga averaged roughly 3.2 million viewers during its run. Still, there was hope that the undeniable cachet it brought to USA would lead to a Season 2 order.

“We are proud of Political Animals, our miniseries that attracted critical acclaim and impacted the cultural conversation this summer,” the network said in a statement. “It was a pleasure to work with Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and a powerful cast led by Sigourney Weaver. We look forward to collaborating again with these immensely talented creatives.”

In a statement released via Twitter on Friday, Berlanti called the project “one of the best and most rewarding experiences of my life,” adding, “The cast, the crew, writers, studio and USA were all a dream to work with. We all got to make what we set out to. Couldn’t be more proud!”

1. King says:

USA is cleaning the house.

2. Elyse says:

i don’t feel as bad about Common Law being cancelled since USA seems to be cleaning house.

3. Artemis says:

Boo. Hiss. The end.

4. Kath says:

I’m very disappointed. That show was miles better and much more intelligent than Berlanti’s current one, Arrow.

I guess US audiences get what they deserve

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

You should go post this on TVbythenumbers so the site owners can mock your idiotic comment that “the show is too smart” for American audiences.

5. Ryan says:

Psych’s schedule has been pretty strange. First a summer show, then late fall, and now late winter/ almost spring.

6. Marz says:

Gah, USA! FIrst you order pilots of reality shows, now you’re axing most of your bubble shows! What’s becoming of you!?

7. Dede says:

Loved the show…want to use every nasty word at USA — dumb, dumb move. Just maybe, some other network with an intelligent President will pick it up. Has been done before with other great shows that were cancelled. Dishnetwork did it with Friday Night Lights

8. Sarah says:

Poor decision. This was one of the best new shows I’ve seen in years.

9. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    This was the best show ever!!! How disappointing :[

10. Deborah Ann says:

How disappointing, Fabulous cast, wonderful writing, The “mini-series” was great, left me wanting more. What is it about intelligent, well written programs the networks cannot appreciate ?????

11. Mike says:

Sad, but expected, we all knew there was little hope of seeing a second. On the brightside, I’m guessing Sebastian Stan will be recurring on ONCE for a little bit longer, and hopefully James Wolk will either return to Happy Endong or finally et casted on a successful show.

12. Valerie says:

just terrible

13. whatthefolk says:

Very disappointed by this news. I loved all the shows that were axed. Then I heard last night that they’re possibly greenlighting a lawyer reality show? Eff that!

14. Jeffery says:

Well USA, I was a brief viewer of your network when you broadcasted a show with substance. Unfrotunately, the masses appear to rule with their desire for rehashed nonsense.

15. Kel C. says:

SCREW YOU USA!!! Three great shows cancelled in one day and LEFT WITHOUT AN ENDING! I am not watching this channel ever again!!!! I’M PISSED! Extremely disappointed. GOOD BUY USA and your lack of consideration towards your audience!

16. tiffany says:

What?!?!?! This ruined my day!!!! I hate when good shows end :( Huge disappointment

17. Dalway says:

PA was an awesome show! Really wanna see season 2!!!!!! Come on USA!!!!!!

18. AT says:

Oh well. I felt very ‘meh’ about this one. It seemed too cliched and underwhelming. Sebastian Stan was the only reason I watched through the end. I didn’t even watch each episode until it was under threat of expiring on Hulu. If this means more Mad Hatter on OUAT, I’m happy.

19. Cat says:

This news blows! Wouldn’t that network want something with some critical acclaim? Most of their shows are fun, but sort of silly. Strange TV world that we’re living in when a cable network axes a show that pulled in 3.2 million viewers an episode because it’s not successful enough.

20. Kristyn says:

What the frack… Seriously? I’m so upset now. Thanks USA network.

21. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

It was presented as a “limited mini-series event”. People that are upset that it wasn’t picked up to series don’t really have a complaint. You weren’t promised anything more than what you got. It sucks they ended on a bit of a cliffhanger but other than that you shouldn’t have gotten your hopes up.

22. Liliana Sa says:

this sucks!!!!…..i really enjoyed the whole drama!!!….Sebastian stan was hoooot!!!!

23. tahina says:

Maybe now USA ca fill in with other shows cancelled by the networks..^_^

24. Political Animals is the only show worth rushing home for.

25. Dom P says:

WTF USA. Just working its way down the totem pole with the other crappy Networks.

26. Katie says:

Very disappointed by this was looking forward to a second maybe even longer season. Great show! Now White Collar is all I have left for USA. :(

27. Gina says:

I am so bummed they cancelled this show. It had a fantastic cast (especially Ms. Weaver!!) and great writing. Why wouldn’t USA give it at least one more season to finish the storyline? Really disappointed in USA. They probably didn’t deserve this series anyway by the way they put it on a really competitive night for its run and how they just dropped it now. So sad… :(

28. Melissa says:

This is HORRIBLE! Loved this show!

29. Newmy says:

There are still a few of us intelligent enough to get shows like this. What dribble the ‘reality shows’ offer.

30. I’m so disappointed! Political Animals was a great show. USA you are wrong to not order more episodes. Is it possible for another network to pick it up? I need to know what happens!!!! FYI, I watched every week but was never counted. I’m not part of the Nielsen ratings. How many of you are not counted???

31. Steve says:

Hey, stay classy, USA. Adios.

32. Randall Ross says:

That is a terrible decision NOT to have a season 2!!! I’m very disappointed because it was one of my favorite shows this year!! I loved Political Animals and there was so much potential for the series to continue!! I loved all the cast especially Sigourney Weaver as the Secretary of State and potential president. Greg Belanti should try to sell it to HBO or Showtime because those channels are NOT afraid to commit to full seasons with their series and their commitment to excellence brings them more Emmys and Golden Globes by far than other networks. USA Network doesn’t know a great thing when they see it and expecting a show to have stellar rating in the 1st 6 shows is unrealistic. Seinfeld didn’t get the high ratings they enjoyed until after a full 25 episodes and into their 2nd season and NBC almost canceled it the first year and now it’s lauded as one of the all time best sitcoms. WAKE UP USA NETWORK!!!

33. Maria says:

What they cancel the only two shows that I watch on USA beside reruns. Love Political Animals and fairly legal. They where fun shows that made it fun to watch tv! You suck USA!

34. Dissapointed Political Animals Fan says:

Very sad! Was hoping this show would come back for a second season. USA you are making a mistake!

35. Anita says:

Thank God, I taped the whole series.

36. Such a shame. This was a fun show, and I liked the whole political wonk aspect to it. I enjoyed it more than The Good Wife.

37. Shari says:

As far as I’m concerned this was one of the best new shows on television!! I couldn’t wait for a new season to start! Really USA? What were you thinking?! You didn’t even give it time to build ratings. No advertising to speak of. Greatest cast assembled anywhere!! I am totally disappointed!!

38. Gilda says:

Can Sebastian Stan be a regular on Once now?

39. AJ says:

This show was one of the most entertaining of the summer. The cast was absolutely superb and the finale left me wanting more. I really wanted to see what was next for the entire Barrish family. I am truely sad and disappointed this show has been cancelled. If another network like TNT or TBS were smart they would snatch this show right up.

40. So sorry and so disappointed. We loved it
    and watched each episode. Maybe TNT or LMN will pick itup??? Let’s petition them???

41. Rob says:

VERY DISAPPOINTED!! Maybe if this show was on a different cable network it would have done better. Someone else pick it up!!

42. Sean says:

I LOVED this show! Maybe another network can save it… Hello, Showtime…

43. Loved this show so much, huge disappointment :(
    Any chance of another network picking it up ? Pleeeeaaasee…
    I want to know what’s going to happen to Eileen, Susan, Doug, Anne,TJ etc !!!

44. Anna says:

Yes, it figures! This is why USA network is becoming a rerun station as any new interesting TV Shows are not pursued! Political Animals was a great series, it had it all: Drama, Comedy, Politics, Morals and Ethics. I thought the show did a great job of showcasing current issues with family, politics and culture in America. A show that wasn’t afraid to tackle ethical and moral issue, showing the citizens the tough decisions that our politicians must contend with on a daily basis. This show would have done wonders to repair the horrible reputation of politicians, even though it was well earned by many crooked elected officials of yore. If we keep emphasizing the terrible aspects of politicians we do so at the cost of our democracy. The show would have shined a brilliant light on the other 10% of politicians that dedicate their lives, sometimes detrimentally to their family. And personally, having Sigourney Weaver and Ciarán Hinds portray two very distinctive and totally different politician types, each with redeeming qualities added the right spice that may have help change the current stigmatism of American politics. So, go ahead USA network executives keep your current line-up of crap TV (Suits) we don’t want you competing with other networks that have the fortitude to tackle controversial real American issues.

My 2 cents, for what its worth.

ps: Not saying that Suits or my favorite White Collar shouldn’t have a place in the line-up but they are like potato chips or candy!? A continuous diet of junk food is not healthy, so please USA rethink your decision to cancel “Political Animals”! As this viewer needs at least 1 healthy well-fortified meal a week.

pss: Also, like the way the press was portrayed in this mini-series.

LET’S START A CRUSADE TO SAVE: POLITICAL ANIMALS
    OR SELL TO ANOTHER NETWORK! ~~**Hint, Hint–Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark!?!~~Thank you for a great show that is well worth fight to keep.

45. Ana says:

I watched and enjoyed it but really, this was far from compelling tv other than the acting which was brilliant. It was written like a really bad soap and all the characters were different degrees of reprehensible and you didn’t know whether to root for them or throw a shoe at the tv. There wasn’t that Clintonesque quality where you know they did wrong but you can’t help but like them anyway. It was, IMO, a mess and a wasted opportunity. Besides, with the intensity of this 2012 campaign maybe people were just fed up with politics.

46. Christina Sipes says:

Was in such a good mood, until I read this article. USA, step it up! And renew this wonderfully addictive show.

47. Mark says:

I wouldn’t have watched a season two anyway. I couldn’t stand any of the characters. They were also so self-centered while pretending to care about those around them it drove me crazy. I made it through season one because it was so short, but I’m not sorry to see it gone.

The rest of the USA Network’s shows may have a similar feeling, but I love it, so I’m there for Burn Notice and White Collar and Royal Pains and psych and Suits.

48. Kevin says:

It’s too bad- I learned about this show Political Animals a little late but we watched all the episodes one day-I was impressed with the writing, scripts, and actors.