Exclusive: Disney Channel Eyes Boy Meets World Sequel Series, Ben Savage In Early Talks

Get More: Exclusive, News, Pilots

Boy Meets World SequelThe world has met Cory Matthews — is it time now to meet his daughter?

The Disney Channel is in the early stages of developing a Boy Meets World sequel series called Girl Meets World, TVLine has learned exclusively.

UPDATE | ‘Girl Meets World’ — Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel Officially Sign On

Sources say that the cable network is trying to land original series stars Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel to revisit their roles of sweethearts Cory and Topanga, who married before their ABC sitcom ended its seven-season run. The new series would center on their preteen daughter.

Since wrapping Boy, Savage’s TV guest-star gigs have included BonesChuck and Without a Trace. Fishel’s post-Boy work includes National Lampoon Presents Dorm Daze and hosting Style Network’s The Dish

Comments (245)

• I literally have a Boy Meets World poster on my wall and all the seasons by my books. The potential is so great. I can’t. But they are messing with one of my favourite shows here. I hope it’s on ABC and not Disney Channel. If it has the same quality and hopefully same writers as the original show, I’m in.

Comment by Mary – November 3, 2012 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please make it so!

Comment by Sims – November 3, 2012 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really understand why Disney is gonna do the sequel being that all the young kids that watch Disney channel probably never heard of Boy meets world…

Comment by Billy bob – November 3, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes please!!!! New episodes would save my DVDs the wear and tear!

Comment by Tonya (@TonyaBeans) – November 3, 2012 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWFUL IDEA. I really hope Ben and Danielle say ‘no’, and this series doesn’t get made. Disney channel doesn’t do shows like Boy Meets World anymore, so it may have this name on it but it will be so much worse. Just leave the show what it was, and make another show about a preteen girl if that’s what ya want.

Comment by Courtney – November 3, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t ABC involved with Disney still… ABC aired Boy Meets World in the first place. SO if the sequel makes it to air. It could always be punted over to ABC Family. Or to broadcast network. It might not stay on the Disney channel. It’s still in the early stages, so anything can happen. As much as I like it on ABC Family. ABC Family has been gearing towards more adult oriented teen shows like Secret Life, Pretty Little Liars. Baby Daddy. But it might be a new brand for younger. Who knows.

Comment by Stacey – November 3, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here I though I was the only one who would love this! Glad to know I am not the only BMW junkie. If they stay true to the original I will so watch this!

Comment by kel – November 3, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well the original creator, Michael Jacobs would be involved. So he knows the original. So I would think they will try to make it as true to the original as possible but updating it for todays. World. Young Ms. Matthews now would exist in a world of twitter, computers, facebook, cell phones. Very different from what her parents faced.

Comment by Stacey – November 3, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, there was a running gag where Eric would always mix up the words “niche” and “neice” it wasn’t just in the future episode

Comment by Goku – November 3, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m an older demographic, but my kids and I watched the original and lived it. I would totally watch this show if they brought some of the original cast back!!

Comment by Janice – November 3, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the amount of comments this piece of news is getting I really hope Disney can make it happen. I think BMW is one of the only few shows on TV that didn’t totally jump the shark even after so many seasons.

Comment by Sprinkle – November 3, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also hate that it’s on whether Ben&Danielle will come back… what about the others? As it went on BMW turned into Cory&Topangas story but that wasn’t all that it was for me, so without Shawn&Eric too, I just wouldn’t be interested. They would be great, fun uncles, no = )?

Comment by Courtney – November 3, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love reading all these posts. Just another testiment that the 90s had great shows! Those who watched BMW are all now early to late 20s so that would be a great demographic to capture. However, I hope its not on the Disney channel. That would not be a good market..on account that we dont watch that channel anymore( well we dont tell people we do anyway haha)

Also I really think I would be happy just making it a movie on Disney. There movies arent bad and it would be great to have just one more thing to get ALL the characters to come back just one time. I even hope Cory’s parents are there!

Comment by Antonia – November 3, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes. Just Yes

Comment by Bree – November 3, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG..I need this to happen!

Comment by nate – November 3, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great idea. I wouldn’t mind it being on Disney Channel..but it could be a great pairing with Melissa and Joey or Baby Daddy on Disney owned ABCFAMILY.

Comment by Jared – November 3, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be perfect!

Comment by Rachel – November 3, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I grew up with BMW and I’m in my late 20s. And yes..some of my guilty pleasures all air on Disney Channel. I faithfully watch Good Luck Charlie and Shake it Up and I’m well outta there target demographic.

Comment by Jared – November 3, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ME TOO! Charlie, shake it up and Jessie! I thought I was the only 20-something to watch these shows!

Comment by Bridget – November 3, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Rider Strong!

Comment by Gino – November 3, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. Also, MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE UNCLE ERIC. Disney don’t SCREW THIS UP!

Comment by bigbangtheoryfan – November 3, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg so excited!!! I hope cory and shawn end up as next door neighbors. And I can totally imagine angela kicking shawn out of the house for a night and shawn having to sleep on the matthews couch! i so hope disney doesn’t mess this up!

Comment by Aly – November 3, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! This is amazing news! Had the worst day ever until my mother texted me this link. BMW was my show growing up. Can’t wait for (me) and my daughter to see the sequel series! Wahoo!

Comment by Bridget – November 3, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be very interesting to see what the tone of the show would be, should it happen. Boy Meets World, for all the real life issues it tackled, was still a very optimistic, idealistic and occasionally naive show, and that’s what it was loved for. However the entire tone of television, even that aimed at children (you could say especially the shows aimed at children) is much more cynical and sarcastic. The original has reruns on ABC family does it not? Were it to air on that network today it would be in the same category as shows like ‘Pretty Little Liars’, “Secret Life of the American Teenager” and the like. If it aired on ABC it would be going up with mostly scripted dramas and reality television. And the less said about Disney Channel the better. So it would be very interesting to see what direction they decide to take this new show in.

Comment by Alice – November 3, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m afraid of how Disney would treat this. They haven’t really made a good live-action series since the days Lizze McGuire and Even Stevens. Plus, the original show was on ABC, so Disney would have a lot less leeway when it came to adult-themed material.

Comment by Fabe – November 3, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS SHOW MUST HAPPEN’ IT MUST!!!

Comment by Playswithsquirrls – November 3, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So here it is- Eric should live above the garage of Cory and Topanga’s house. Mr. Turner should live next door and follow the daughter up through school like Feeny did. Feeny should be principal at John Adams High. Frankie and his dad should be the wrestling coaches that pick on Shawn’s son. Minkus could be another teacher that the daughter has and gets in trouble with resulting in a parent teacher conference between Minkus and Topanga……….so many possibilities!

Comment by Randi – November 3, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one that thinks this is a terrible idea!? UGH, PLEASE, NO!!

Comment by Megan – November 3, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMO, there are some things that would be necessary for this to work:

1. Rider Strong and Will Friedle
    2. Hire the old writers
    3. The storyline needs to focus at least some on Cory as a father, not just an accessory
    4. A stellar not-future-disney-channel-pop-star actress. A C T R E S S.
    5. But no really, hire the old writers.

Please, Disney Channel, trust it. Boy Meets World was loved for years after it’s 7-year run. It did something right. Don’t ruin it’s charm by trying to update it with flash and cliches to keep the attention of youth. They’re smarter than you think. It worked before. (Also, if you get a cameo by Mr. Feeny, you’ll win the approval of a generation.)

Comment by Brad – November 3, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree, if they do all that the show is bound to be great.

Comment by Asia – November 3, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they honor the heart that made the show great, this cannot go wrong.

Comment by Rachel – November 3, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need Mr. Feeny. He can be their daughter’s Principal.

Comment by Ben – November 3, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this!!! Lee Norris is done with One Tree Hill now, so they gotta get Minkus back! Love Mouth! Can’t wait to see if this works out!!!

Comment by Heather – November 3, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’d still want Ben Savage to be the star. I loved this show as a kid. Don’t think I’d need to see Topanga again, though.

Comment by c0rinne – November 3, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • absolutly amazing!!!! I would love this!!!! Made my bad week, turn around with the hopes of this!!!

Comment by KateLynn – November 3, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES. Please. This would be awesome! :)

Comment by Paige – November 3, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes !!! Exclent. Idea.

Comment by Eduardo Rebollo – November 3, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My biggest hesitation is that it will be on the Disney Channel. It won’t even be able to touch half the things they did before and I’m not looking forward to another Hannah Montana/ typical Disney-esque sitcom. The series is going to be most attractive to people who grew up with Boy Meets World, people who are likely in their mid-late 20s now. I’m worried about who they’re trying to target this to.

Comment by Brittany – November 3, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m only okay with this if it’s as well written as the original. That’s the one kid’s show I can still go back and rewatch and get caught up in. If they turn it into another piece of dribble, absolutely do not remake it.

Comment by wooster182 – November 3, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show doesn’t need to be aired on a channel where 99% of its viewers weren’t even ALIVE or CONCEIVED to know what Boy Meets World is. Seriously. Put it on ABC or some other channel that’s more deserving. It should be for the REAL 90s kids.

Comment by Nora – November 3, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have preferred a reunion movie

Comment by benny martinez – November 3, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would make my life EXCEPT it can’t be made my Disney Channel. They’ve gone so down hill that they would ruin it like they ruin everything else.

Comment by LOwens – November 3, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was having a CRAPPY day & let me tell you, THIS RIGHT HERE made it seem like apple pie “) I LOVE BOY MEETS WORLD!! It helped me through a lot all while keeping me laughing. I would love to see Cory & Topanga back at it and most definitely my favorite couple, Angela & Shawn. Those two right there have given me more than enough inspiration and faith. Ahhhh!! I want to see Eric, Feeny, Alan, Amy, Morgan, Rachel, Jack, Mr. Turner, EVERYBODY lol. At least once : ) #BMW

Comment by Alexz – November 3, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how I feel it being with Disney Channel. I would be fine with ABC family, ABC, or even ABC family but not Disney. I feel like it would be ruined for me.

Comment by Chrissy Kiewkajee – November 4, 2012 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all for this idea. I miss tv shows from the 90′s. I thoroughly enjoy Melissa and Joey now because of that nostalgia factor.

Comment by 90's – November 4, 2012 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is what America needs! Vote Corry!

Comment by A-willy – November 4, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s up, its pleasant post on the topic of media print, we all be familiar with media is a enormous source of facts.

Comment by Fatima – November 4, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As amazing as this news sounds. I think that if Disney wants to do a sequel show they should air it on ABC or ABC Family. When the Disney Channel used to show reruns of the original Boy Meets World, parts were cut out of the original episodes. If they can’t even show the original content in its entirety how are they going to be able to pull off a sequel which can live up to even being half as good as the original.

However, being a fan of BMW, I will ONLY watch if they have the original cast return. Danielle Fishel and Ben Savage are essential to success, and I even believe that Rider Strong (Shawn) and Will Friedle (Eric) need to be at least recurring roles. They did move to NYC with Cory and Topanga in the finale. It’d even be interesting for them to incorporate some of the other original series’ characters into the show for guest roles including William Daniels (Mr. Feeny) and the rest of Cory’s family (William Russ, Betsy Randle, and Lindsay Ridgeway).

If Disney does move forward with this, they better do it right!

Comment by TM – November 4, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Carpe Diem, Flores. and commented:
    Are they serious? Um.. please say so. I have been such a hug fan of Boy Meets World when I was little. In fact, I learned some of my morals on this show. I cannot believe this is in the talks. While others might be not so excited about this transition but me, I think you know where I stand.

Comment by carpediemflores – November 4, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please make this happen. Pleeeeeaaaaaasse!!!!!

Comment by Love this – November 4, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would the cast really consider this? How many years were they on the show only to go right back to it? I’d give it a shot, but I don’t know.

Comment by Amy – November 4, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 29 single, without kids, and suddenly feel the need to get the Disney Channel.

Comment by Hannah – November 4, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I feel old, but long live TGIF!

Comment by Amy – November 4, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d freak if Feeee he heeeeeenay was her principal. Her version of Corey, or ever Shawn, needs to be Minkus’ kid.

Comment by Topo GiGi – November 4, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we need to blow up Ben Savage’s twitter.

Comment by Eac1995 – November 4, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post