Exclusive

Exclusive: Disney Channel Eyes Boy Meets World Sequel Series, Ben Savage In Early Talks

Boy Meets World SequelThe world has met Cory Matthews — is it time now to meet his daughter?

The Disney Channel is in the early stages of developing a Boy Meets World sequel series called Girl Meets World, TVLine has learned exclusively.

UPDATE | ‘Girl Meets World’ — Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel Officially Sign On

Sources say that the cable network is trying to land original series stars Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel to revisit their roles of sweethearts Cory and Topanga, who married before their ABC sitcom ended its seven-season run. The new series would center on their preteen daughter.

Since wrapping Boy, Savage’s TV guest-star gigs have included BonesChuck and Without a Trace. Fishel’s post-Boy work includes National Lampoon Presents Dorm Daze and hosting Style Network’s The Dish

1. Mary says:

I literally have a Boy Meets World poster on my wall and all the seasons by my books. The potential is so great. I can’t. But they are messing with one of my favourite shows here. I hope it’s on ABC and not Disney Channel. If it has the same quality and hopefully same writers as the original show, I’m in.

2. Sims says:

Please make it so!

3. Billy bob says:

I don’t really understand why Disney is gonna do the sequel being that all the young kids that watch Disney channel probably never heard of Boy meets world…

4. Yes please!!!! New episodes would save my DVDs the wear and tear!

5. Courtney says:

AWFUL IDEA. I really hope Ben and Danielle say ‘no’, and this series doesn’t get made. Disney channel doesn’t do shows like Boy Meets World anymore, so it may have this name on it but it will be so much worse. Just leave the show what it was, and make another show about a preteen girl if that’s what ya want.

• Stacey says:

Isn’t ABC involved with Disney still… ABC aired Boy Meets World in the first place. SO if the sequel makes it to air. It could always be punted over to ABC Family. Or to broadcast network. It might not stay on the Disney channel. It’s still in the early stages, so anything can happen. As much as I like it on ABC Family. ABC Family has been gearing towards more adult oriented teen shows like Secret Life, Pretty Little Liars. Baby Daddy. But it might be a new brand for younger. Who knows.

6. kel says:

Here I though I was the only one who would love this! Glad to know I am not the only BMW junkie. If they stay true to the original I will so watch this!

• Stacey says:

Well the original creator, Michael Jacobs would be involved. So he knows the original. So I would think they will try to make it as true to the original as possible but updating it for todays. World. Young Ms. Matthews now would exist in a world of twitter, computers, facebook, cell phones. Very different from what her parents faced.

7. Goku says:

Actually, there was a running gag where Eric would always mix up the words “niche” and “neice” it wasn’t just in the future episode

8. Janice says:

I’m an older demographic, but my kids and I watched the original and lived it. I would totally watch this show if they brought some of the original cast back!!

9. Sprinkle says:

With the amount of comments this piece of news is getting I really hope Disney can make it happen. I think BMW is one of the only few shows on TV that didn’t totally jump the shark even after so many seasons.

10. Courtney says:

I also hate that it’s on whether Ben&Danielle will come back… what about the others? As it went on BMW turned into Cory&Topangas story but that wasn’t all that it was for me, so without Shawn&Eric too, I just wouldn’t be interested. They would be great, fun uncles, no = )?

11. Antonia says:

I love reading all these posts. Just another testiment that the 90s had great shows! Those who watched BMW are all now early to late 20s so that would be a great demographic to capture. However, I hope its not on the Disney channel. That would not be a good market..on account that we dont watch that channel anymore( well we dont tell people we do anyway haha)

Also I really think I would be happy just making it a movie on Disney. There movies arent bad and it would be great to have just one more thing to get ALL the characters to come back just one time. I even hope Cory’s parents are there!

12. Bree says:

Yes. Just Yes

13. nate says:

OMG..I need this to happen!

14. Jared says:

This is a great idea. I wouldn’t mind it being on Disney Channel..but it could be a great pairing with Melissa and Joey or Baby Daddy on Disney owned ABCFAMILY.

15. Jared says:

I grew up with BMW and I’m in my late 20s. And yes..some of my guilty pleasures all air on Disney Channel. I faithfully watch Good Luck Charlie and Shake it Up and I’m well outta there target demographic.

16. Gino says:

Bring back Rider Strong!

17. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. Also, MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE UNCLE ERIC. Disney don’t SCREW THIS UP!

18. Aly says:

omg so excited!!! I hope cory and shawn end up as next door neighbors. And I can totally imagine angela kicking shawn out of the house for a night and shawn having to sleep on the matthews couch! i so hope disney doesn’t mess this up!

19. Bridget says:

OMG! This is amazing news! Had the worst day ever until my mother texted me this link. BMW was my show growing up. Can’t wait for (me) and my daughter to see the sequel series! Wahoo!

20. Alice says:

It would be very interesting to see what the tone of the show would be, should it happen. Boy Meets World, for all the real life issues it tackled, was still a very optimistic, idealistic and occasionally naive show, and that’s what it was loved for. However the entire tone of television, even that aimed at children (you could say especially the shows aimed at children) is much more cynical and sarcastic. The original has reruns on ABC family does it not? Were it to air on that network today it would be in the same category as shows like ‘Pretty Little Liars’, “Secret Life of the American Teenager” and the like. If it aired on ABC it would be going up with mostly scripted dramas and reality television. And the less said about Disney Channel the better. So it would be very interesting to see what direction they decide to take this new show in.

21. Fabe says:

I’m afraid of how Disney would treat this. They haven’t really made a good live-action series since the days Lizze McGuire and Even Stevens. Plus, the original show was on ABC, so Disney would have a lot less leeway when it came to adult-themed material.

22. Playswithsquirrls says:

THIS SHOW MUST HAPPEN’ IT MUST!!!

23. Randi says:

So here it is- Eric should live above the garage of Cory and Topanga’s house. Mr. Turner should live next door and follow the daughter up through school like Feeny did. Feeny should be principal at John Adams High. Frankie and his dad should be the wrestling coaches that pick on Shawn’s son. Minkus could be another teacher that the daughter has and gets in trouble with resulting in a parent teacher conference between Minkus and Topanga……….so many possibilities!

24. Megan says:

Am I the only one that thinks this is a terrible idea!? UGH, PLEASE, NO!!

25. Brad says:

IMO, there are some things that would be necessary for this to work:

1. Rider Strong and Will Friedle
    2. Hire the old writers
    3. The storyline needs to focus at least some on Cory as a father, not just an accessory
    4. A stellar not-future-disney-channel-pop-star actress. A C T R E S S.
    5. But no really, hire the old writers.

Please, Disney Channel, trust it. Boy Meets World was loved for years after it’s 7-year run. It did something right. Don’t ruin it’s charm by trying to update it with flash and cliches to keep the attention of youth. They’re smarter than you think. It worked before. (Also, if you get a cameo by Mr. Feeny, you’ll win the approval of a generation.)

26. Rachel says:

If they honor the heart that made the show great, this cannot go wrong.

27. Ben says:

They need Mr. Feeny. He can be their daughter’s Principal.

28. Heather says:

I LOVE this!!! Lee Norris is done with One Tree Hill now, so they gotta get Minkus back! Love Mouth! Can’t wait to see if this works out!!!

29. c0rinne says:

I think I’d still want Ben Savage to be the star. I loved this show as a kid. Don’t think I’d need to see Topanga again, though.

30. KateLynn says:

absolutly amazing!!!! I would love this!!!! Made my bad week, turn around with the hopes of this!!!

31. Paige says:

YES. Please. This would be awesome! :)

32. Eduardo Rebollo says:

Yes !!! Exclent. Idea.

33. Brittany says:

My biggest hesitation is that it will be on the Disney Channel. It won’t even be able to touch half the things they did before and I’m not looking forward to another Hannah Montana/ typical Disney-esque sitcom. The series is going to be most attractive to people who grew up with Boy Meets World, people who are likely in their mid-late 20s now. I’m worried about who they’re trying to target this to.

34. wooster182 says:

I’m only okay with this if it’s as well written as the original. That’s the one kid’s show I can still go back and rewatch and get caught up in. If they turn it into another piece of dribble, absolutely do not remake it.

35. Nora says:

This show doesn’t need to be aired on a channel where 99% of its viewers weren’t even ALIVE or CONCEIVED to know what Boy Meets World is. Seriously. Put it on ABC or some other channel that’s more deserving. It should be for the REAL 90s kids.

36. benny martinez says:

I would have preferred a reunion movie

37. LOwens says:

This would make my life EXCEPT it can’t be made my Disney Channel. They’ve gone so down hill that they would ruin it like they ruin everything else.

38. Alexz says:

I was having a CRAPPY day & let me tell you, THIS RIGHT HERE made it seem like apple pie “) I LOVE BOY MEETS WORLD!! It helped me through a lot all while keeping me laughing. I would love to see Cory & Topanga back at it and most definitely my favorite couple, Angela & Shawn. Those two right there have given me more than enough inspiration and faith. Ahhhh!! I want to see Eric, Feeny, Alan, Amy, Morgan, Rachel, Jack, Mr. Turner, EVERYBODY lol. At least once : ) #BMW

39. I don’t know how I feel it being with Disney Channel. I would be fine with ABC family, ABC, or even ABC family but not Disney. I feel like it would be ruined for me.

40. 90's says:

I’m all for this idea. I miss tv shows from the 90’s. I thoroughly enjoy Melissa and Joey now because of that nostalgia factor.

41. A-willy says:

This is what America needs! Vote Corry!

42. Fatima says:

What’s up, its pleasant post on the topic of media print, we all be familiar with media is a enormous source of facts.

43. TM says:

As amazing as this news sounds. I think that if Disney wants to do a sequel show they should air it on ABC or ABC Family. When the Disney Channel used to show reruns of the original Boy Meets World, parts were cut out of the original episodes. If they can’t even show the original content in its entirety how are they going to be able to pull off a sequel which can live up to even being half as good as the original.

However, being a fan of BMW, I will ONLY watch if they have the original cast return. Danielle Fishel and Ben Savage are essential to success, and I even believe that Rider Strong (Shawn) and Will Friedle (Eric) need to be at least recurring roles. They did move to NYC with Cory and Topanga in the finale. It’d even be interesting for them to incorporate some of the other original series’ characters into the show for guest roles including William Daniels (Mr. Feeny) and the rest of Cory’s family (William Russ, Betsy Randle, and Lindsay Ridgeway).

If Disney does move forward with this, they better do it right!

44. Reblogged this on Carpe Diem, Flores. and commented:
    Are they serious? Um.. please say so. I have been such a hug fan of Boy Meets World when I was little. In fact, I learned some of my morals on this show. I cannot believe this is in the talks. While others might be not so excited about this transition but me, I think you know where I stand.

45. Love this says:

Please make this happen. Pleeeeeaaaaaasse!!!!!

46. Amy says:

Would the cast really consider this? How many years were they on the show only to go right back to it? I’d give it a shot, but I don’t know.

47. Hannah says:

I am 29 single, without kids, and suddenly feel the need to get the Disney Channel.

48. Amy says:

Wow, I feel old, but long live TGIF!

49. Topo GiGi says:

I’d freak if Feeee he heeeeeenay was her principal. Her version of Corey, or ever Shawn, needs to be Minkus’ kid.

50. Eac1995 says:

I think we need to blow up Ben Savage’s twitter.