Ratings: Supernatural Is Halloween Night's Lone Gainer, Kimmel Hits a High With Letterman Visit

SupernaturalThis Halloween night, mostly tricks were being handed out to broadcast primetime, as Supernatural was the only show to enjoy a week-to-week gain.

The CW drama drew 2.1 million total viewers and a 0.9 rating, rising 13 and 29 percent. Leading into that, Arrow (3.35 mil/1.0) was steady in total audience but dipped a tenth to a ratings low to date.

RELATED | Felicia Day Books Supernatural Return

NBC’s 30 Rock, slipping in an election-themed outing on a special night, saw a season high in viewers (with 3.6 mil) and matched what Animal Practice last did in the Wednesdays-at-8 slot.

The X Factor kicked off its live shows with 7.4 mil and a 2.7 — down 23 percent from its last regularly scheduled Wednesday broadcast, but keep in mind, this installment was kinda thrown into Fox’s line-up without much notice (so some cable guides didn’t update, yada yada…).

UPDATE: In one late-night TV headline, David Letterman’s rare talk-show visit to Jimmy Kimmel Live gave the ABC show its largest Wednesday audience in its 10-year history (2.4 million total viewers) and its best demo rating in five years.

Elsewhere, going hour by hour….

8 pm | Survivor (9.8 mil/2.4) dropped 14 percent in the demo. The Great Pumpkin opened ABC’s night with 7.9 mil/2.7, though The Neighbors (5.8 mil/1.8) dropped the ball by shedding some 30 percent of that, down 17 and 10 percent week-to-week. Guys With Kids led out of 30 Rock with 3.8 mil/1.4, flat versus last Wednesday.

9 pm | Criminal Minds was Wednesday’s most watched program with 12 million total viewers, up a handful of eyeballs, while dipping two tenths in the demo (to 2.9). Modern Family (10.4 mil/4.1) drew the highest rating (though was down 16 percent), while Suburgatory (6.4 mil/2.4) slipped 13 and 11 percent. SVU (6.2 mil/1.7) was down 8 and 11 percent.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together… Until Next Week

10 pm | CSI dominated with 10.8 mil/2.3, up in audience week-to-week. Nashville placed second with 5.8 mil/1.8 (down 10 percent to series lows), while Chicago Fire matched all-time lows (5.5 mil/1.5).

What were you tuned into this Wednesday night, when you weren’t handing out fun-size Clark bars to the 38th PSY to knock at your door?

1. Mikaylah says:

It’s because Supernatural was MADE for Halloween night. Lol. Perfect thing to watch for people who couldn’t go out partying because of work Thursday. Hopefully people continue to watch so it gets renewed. I’m really loving this season.

2. Luke says:

Supernatural was excellent, excellent, last night.

3. eridapo says:

The CW was preempted in Chicago for basketball.

• Josh says:

yeah, I assumed that’s what caused that little dip in arrow.

• Percysowner says:

That depends on how Chicago feels about basket ball. The fast nationals only measure who was watching during the time shows are supposed to be broadcast. If Chicago is a big basket ball town the ratings may have gone up and the finals could adjust down. If Chicago is less interested in basketball the ratings may not be affected.

• rowan77 says:

The shows were pre-empted so anyone who would be watching in Chicago couldn’t. That does affect the ratings at least a little.

• Percysowner says:

Yes, but Fast Nationals don’t measure who is watching what show, they measure who is watching the time slot and they assume the regular shows are being shown in that time slot. So if people were watching basketball, they got counted as Arrow and Supernatural viewers. The finals look at the actual numbers for the shows, not just at time slot viewing. This doesn’t mean Arrow and Supernatural will drop significantly or at all. It just means that we don’t have reliable information on who watched them yet.

4. Sg.Grant says:

In case you missed it, Charlie Brown beat X Factor (before any adjustments in the final ratings). Cowell can’t be pleased.

5. Sherry says:

Awesome! Supernatural was great last night!!

6. Jared says:

Arrow was amazing last night. Its easily the best new show of the Fall on any network. Supernatural will definitely get renewed with the ratings its been getting this season. Wednesday is a solid night for the CW.

7. JoJo says:

Suburgatory was so funny last night. I can’t get enough. Glad it’s been holding steady for ABC. This is a series ABC will definitely keep to get into syndication.

8. Andie says:

Also, half the East Coast doesn’t have power…. this probably has something to do with the drop in ratings.

9. Crimson Tear says:

I would just wish that everyone wouldn’t jump over all the falling ratings from last night. Everyone was out, so I can see DVR recordings to fill the gaps in the coming days.

Great job for Supernatural though.

10. Lisa says:

Supernatural aired one of its best ever episodes last night. It deserves to be up – not just on super-appropriate Halloween – this season as it is experiencing a return to former glory. Great acting, directing and writing in this week’s episode!

11. Amy says:

I’m concerned about Nashville. I really hope they don’t pull the plug on it. It was so good last night.

12. wrstlgirl says:

Nashville is a total snooze-fest. So disappointed.

13. theresa says:

since Chicago isn’t getting to see the Supernatural ep until Saturday, and a lot of the East coast is having power issues, those ratings are *Very* impressive!

14. John says:

Supernatural’s ‘Blood Brother’ blew me away!! Frickin’ awesome episode!!
    Considering Arrow is still maintaining almost the same demo since premiering even with Sandy, that’s great.
    I hope Suburgatory picks up. The lead actress, Jane is amazing.

15. Holly says:

I generally watch The Middle, Modern Family, Suburgatory and whatever falls in between but my power went out about 8:00 pm and stayed out for almost 10 hours. The blackout affected the area where I live.

16. sarah says:

I hope more people tune into Chicago Fire!!!!! Such a great show!

17. ukchris says:

Supernatural is one of the best shows on TV at the moment.

18. rowan77 says:

Hey Matt, Thanks for pointing out that the ratings in the demo rose for Supernatural. I get the overnights from Mark Berman and he a) never mentioned that it was the only show last night to go up in ratings from the week before – nor did he mention that the Chicago area didn’t get to see the episode due to the game. His assessment of shows seems to be entirely based on Nielsons and the creative component (plus the overseas market) doesn’t seem to enter into his assessment. He called Supernatural “tired.” If anything, this season is breathing new life, creatively, into the series, and the fans are reaction is mostly positive.

The show is opposite major ratings powerhouses – Modern Family and Criminal Minds. Plus it’s a genre show. I hope the CW is happy with what they’re seeing.

Now, if we can just have a little more Castiel…

19. Christa says:

Are these numbers adjusted from week to week to account for a large amount of people ring without power?

20. Kiersten says:

Thrilled for Supernatural. And loving the fact that the two episodes Cas was in (yes I know the first one was because of Arrow) are the big ratings gainers this season.

21. Amy says:

Arrow totally hit it’s stride last night, so I’m glad the ratings were solid.

22. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Wow, Neighbors dropped the ball and lost viewers from its lead-in Charlie Brown? Shocking!! How can that be possible? Neighbors just got a full season order – what a great show!! Hopefully this is just a small rating blip and once the Emmy nominations come out next year, look out – Neighbors will sweep the nominations! Just keep cranking out that show ABC – good luck.

I did watch the Charlie Brown special on ABC- I can’t miss it – too much childhood nostalgia (along w/the Xmas show) for me not to watch each holiday season. Then I actually did force myself to watch CB’s lead-out show, Neighbors, once again, since I read these posts all the time and read how much better the show has gotten since the pilot. So I tried it again – I watched the first 10 minutes of Neighbors – I couldn’t take any more. I love Jami Gertz, but the rest of that cast. I’m sorry, the kids on that show are just so annoying. Maybe it’s the writing, maybe the acting, but boy are they downright awful.

So Charlie Brown beat out X-Factor. Nice work CB. Those holiday specials (Charlie Brown ’65/’66, Rankin/Bass Rudolph ’64/Frosty ’69, Grinch ’66) are timeless and unbeatable evergreen material. Talent. You can’t beat talent – it’s timeless.

23. b. says:

I can’t believe i missed the Great pumpkin Charlie Brown! Arhhhhh!… I tuned into NBA!, Asylum and alil of Stephen Kings It!