Nashville Recap: We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together... Until Next Week

Juliette got caught, Deacon got dumped (again? probably?) and Gunnar got some in this week’s Nashville. Let’s review the sweet harmonies and dissonant chords of “We Live in Two Different Worlds.”

THE RIGHT CHOICE | The episode opens with Rayna and Deacon in bed, but it’s just Rayna dreaming: In her waking life, she’s still the vow-keeping, guitar-player-lusting-after politician’s wife we’ve come to know. When Rayna asks Tandy for an accurate assessment of Teddy’s mayoral campaign, her sister tells her what her husband won’t: He’s down 12 points in the polls, and things aren’t looking good. But maybe if Rayna would play his country club fundraiser… She agrees, even though that rarefied crowd is basically the mean girls she knew in high school, only now with Pilates bodies and more expensive shoes. Deacon agrees to do the gig with her, even though he’s supporting Teddy’s opponent, Coleman – who also happens to be his substance-abuse sponsor. (Side note: Did that blip of a revelation moment feel shoehorned in to you, too?)

ANOTHER WOMAN? | At a planning meeting before the event, Rayna comes face-to-face with Peggy, a former paramour of Teddy’s. (Bonus points to guest-star Kimberly Williams-Paisley for Peggy’s near-turnaround when she realized the famous redhead was in the room and for the least convincing casual “Heeeeeey!” to Teddy when he approached. Heh.) The seemingly polite way Peggy and Rayna interact, even though it’s clear they have no desire to breathe the same air, supports my belief that I wouldn’t last a minute in Nashville’s upper social circle. Those women would eat me alive, saying “Bless her heart” all the while. Know who else isn’t cut out for that company? Deacon, who shows up late-ish for the $1,400-a-plate fundraiser (watching Rayna’s nervous skittering around the dressing room, however, was worth it) and then gets into a pissing match with Teddy. Deacon (kinda creepily) stares at Teddy throughout the first song, but he’s not the only one: Peggy’s trying to catch the candidate’s eye from across the room. He shakes his head at her – perhaps to indicate that now is not the time? – but we’ll deal with that in a minute. After the performance, Rayna and Deacon have another one of their incredibly vague, double-meaning-stuffed conversations. She says she can’t believe he “put us in this position,” to which he responds, “Which ‘us’?” Time out for a minute: I get that now Teddy and Deacon are hating each other out in the open rather than behind each other’s backs, but that doesn’t feel like enough of a change in the status quo to warrant the break-up scene that follows. (Also, Rayna and Deacon had a similar scene in last week’s episode and they still performed together in this week’s, so…) I come close to forgiving any discrepancies, though, when Rayna insists to Deacon, “I do need you,” and Connie Britton’s throat closes on the words. It’s heartbreaking, y’all. Later, Raya tells an angry Teddy she’s going to fire Deacon. She doesn’t know, though, about her hubby’s secret meeting with Peggy. During the exchange, they both vaguely refer to their predicament as “this,” which might mean an affair or their mutual involvement in his shady financial deal or a little of both. She suggests coming clean, he says no. Dollars to doughnuts, Lamar already knows everything and is waiting for the right moment to crack that illicit little egg wide open.

BEEN CAUGHT STEALING | The smartphone video of Juliette pilfering a bottle of nail polish has gone viral, leading the Nashville police to put out a warrant for her arrest (which she laughs off as she shuts the door in the officers’ faces) and her publicist to swoop in for some damage control. Ms. Barnes, however, doesn’t think she needs any help. “I have a tour to prepare for, and that’s exactly what I’mma do,” she brattily informs her entourage as she engages in some yoga poses on her patio. “Namaste.” (Heh.) But when the CMA Awards boot her from the presenters’ list, she starts to realize that stuff is getting real. So she agrees to a satellite interview with Good Morning America‘s Robin Roberts (aw, hi Robin! Get well soon!). The opportunity to salvage her image turns into a publicist’s nightmare when a prim and de-cleavaged Juliette refuses to admit any wrongdoing during the piece. “Actually, there’s a very simple explanation for it. Everybody wants to be young and famous and rich, and I am. And people are very jealous,” she tells Roberts, who’s taken aback and then goes for the big guns: a question about Juliette’s mom Jolene and her arrest for drug possession. “This interview is over,” Juju says, ripping the microphone off and getting up from the chair. Not smart, little blonde one: Glenn informs her that her sponsors are dropping her left and right, and that the tour probably won’t happen. Jolene tries to perk up her daughter with some “pink macaroni” as she sadly scrolls through her Twitter feed. (Side note: I love that her account is @JulietteBarnes2. In real life, the @JulietteBarnes account is a parody feed; on the show, though, I like to imagine that Juju threw a chair-tossing fit when she realized her people hadn’t acted fast enough to secure the handle.) (Another side note: I, like Juliette, want to pretend that I’d never eat macaroni mixed with cream cheese and ketchup. And I, like Juliette, would probably plow through that casserole dish during a low moment.) Juliette unleashes on her mother, accusing her of casing the house for stuff she can sell. She even dumps the contents of Jolene’s backpack on the floor, where she finds a crumpled old photo of the two of them, taken when Juliette was a baby. It reduces both of them to angry sobs. Later, Glenn tries to disengage himself from Juliette’s employ, but she promises to be a good girl if he’ll stay. He agrees, and she calls Deacon to see if he wants to have sad sex hang out.

IN WHICH AVERY CONTINUES TO MAKE ME HATE HIM | Scarlett and Gunnar get a music-writing deal – yay! – and start their job at the publishing house, where they meet Hailey, assistant to their boss Jeanne. Gunnar and Hailey flirt it up, and at a group dinner that night – are music industry assistants routinely invited out to fancy dinners? – everyone pays close attention to Scarlett as she talks about her lyric-writing process. Everyone, that is, except for her boyfriend. Noticing that Avery’s chafing at the lack of attention, Scar generously throws a few bouquets at his feet by mentioning his band’s regular gig at The Five Spot. He then picks up those bouquets and verbally thrashes her with them, shrugging off the kudos and then exploding at her in the parking lot. There are few things more agonizing/angering than listening to Scarlett call him “baby” in that situation: Half of me wants to hug her, half of me wants to tell her to man up and kick him to the Music City curb. Also, I covet her pretty, lacy dress. Gunnar and Hailey skip the drama and go get a drink, ending the evening (and next morning) in his bed. She tells him that it’s a one-time thing and he replies, “If I didn’t have firsthand proof to the contrary, I’d accuse you of being a dude.” Oof – Sam Palladio is pretty and talented, but even he couldn’t save that clunky line. Outside, Scarlett pulls up in front of the apartment just in time to see him and Hailey walk out together. Ouch. It’s okay, honey. Go write a song about it.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? How about “Changing Ground,” the song Rayna and Deacon performed at the country club? And what are your theories on Teddy’s involvement with Peggy? Sound off in the comments!

1. Marcie says:

I just love hearing Scarlett sing, but she breaks my heart.

2. wrstlgirl says:

I was bored, again. Maybe my expectations were to high after all the hype over Nashville all summer. It’s a bit of a letdown for me.

3. Forwarddad says:

I thought the ep. Was pretty good. I love Connie but I feel she is being portrayed as a little weak. I wish they would “man” her up.

4. CarolH says:

Thank you Kimberly for recapping this great show.

5. Miffy says:

zzzzzzzz. They should fire everyone but Connie and Hayden, and put them in a more interesting show.

6. Jared says:

I had high hopes for Nashville and like the show..but wish there was a little more drama or something. Its becoming boring to me and every episode seems the same since the premiere. I’ll stick with it for a little while longer but it needs to pick up to keep me fully invested. Love Hayden and her character though. That’s the storyline that’s keeping me coming back.

7. nate says:

Nashville needs more SEX..LIES and BETRAYAL..the storyline is becoming weak.

• Gina says:

On the contrary, last night was too much sex and not enough singing! I think the show’s strongest when it focuses on the musical storylines. (With the exception of this little secret of Teddy’s, which looks intriguing.)

8. bettyd says:

Ted and Peggy are about the financial stuff. They are trying to be cute in redirecting, but I don’t think it is working. Also thought the “dude” line was stupid.

9. jcr says:

I honestly don’t get the critical hype. I’m just finding this show a little boring to be honest, and I want to like it, but I’m quickly losing interest.

10. dmac says:

I keep reading the reviews about how great this show is and I have tried every week to like it or to understand the hype, but I can’t find any characters to root for. I loath Rayna, I know she is the one I am suppose to be pulling for and I just cant. She is a spoiled, self-indulgent has-been that wants it all and can’t understand why can’t have it. Deacon has gone way beyond likeable to stalker status and basically pathetic and Juliette is cartoon character. I have officially given up on this show.

• wrstlgirl says:

I haven’t quite given up yet but I agree with everything you’ve said. Deacon’s a total perv and I could honestly care less about Juliette. The only reason why I’m holding out any hope is because I love Connie Britton and Jonathan Jackson. But both their characters are awful.

• Andrea says:

If Rayna were written as the declining star not handling the demise of her career well, Connie would be nailing it because that’s who Rayna is on-screen. Yet, I’m supposed to root for her and somehow feel that she’s been wronged. As has been mentioned, I find her to be petulant and entitled. Her label and her father both presented her with options, but she doesn’t like them. Boo-freakin’ hoo! She’s not in a financial position to have the luxury of liking them at the moment.

11. Juan says:

I like this show a lot, maybe people had too many high expectations

12. jcr says:

I agree with dmac above about Rayna. I’m just not liking her character for the reasons you say. I’m actually finding myself empathising a lot more with Juliette, even if she is a little OTT “villanous”

13. Caro says:

Too soapy, which is sad.

14. E. says:

Surprised to see so many are a bit bored by the show… I think it’s the perfect balance of soapy drama and a more subtle, realistic take. Loving Connie Britton in this role, but that was a given. I’m finding each week I care more and more about the other characters too, and really hope it stays on for a long time.

15. Tom says:

Interesting feedback on this series. Given all the hype it seemed like this show was a guaranteed winner. But I feel pretty much the same as other posts. The show is boring and each episode seems the same. It sounded like a good premise for a show, but it feels like there should be a bigger story being told. I can’t say i care about any the characters or the plot lines in this show. It’s just a grand ole yawn.

16. GS says:

I agree with the other commenters and I’ll throw in that Connie is not that good of a singer. I just can’t buy that she would ever have had Faith or Shania success. Juliette is good and I can total buy that she’d be selling like Taylor Swift but the show is just grating. I DVR’ed Chicago Fire and I’m going to try that.

• mady says:

I agree about the Connie thing. Great actress yes, but singer, no. I just don’t buy it that Rayna is this huge country music superstar. That’s one of my biggest gripes. At least on a show like Smash or with Rachel on Glee, I can see the characters as potential Broadway stars. I’m also just a little bored already, like other posters have said.

• wrstlgirl says:

You should try to find the past episodes of CF if you do’t have them. There is a short back story. I love the show, it’s much, much better than Nashville IMO. Started out slow but has really built into a great new show.

• mady says:

I might give CF another go. Hot men in uniform at least, although I found the pilot a little sleepy. I think I’ll leave my soapy musical fun for when Smash comes back. What’s good is great and what’s bad is at least WTF entertaining, lol!

• CJ says:

Chicago Fire has upped the stakes considerably over the past three weeks, and aside from Arrow, it is my favorite new show of the fall. I like Nashville, but it isn’t as good (yet?) as it was hyped up to be. Chicago Fire, on the other hand, I had low expectations for, and have been pleasantly surprised by how great it is. And the hot men in uniform don’t hurt either ;-)

• Alex says:

Nah, Chicago Fire stinks. At least Nashville is trying to tell some real stories. Chicago Fire is an ultra-generic stinker full of lousy actors and unmemorable plots. It’s like a fourth-rate version of Third Watch.

17. Julio says:

Speaking as someone with music industry experience, it’s not uncommon for an assistant to be at a dinner like this one. Hell, half the time, the bosses would probably pawn off people as low-level as Gunnar and Scarlett are at this point ON the assistant.

18. TJ says:

I actually think this show gets stronger each week. I thought Hayden P NAILED it tonight when she broke down seeing the pic of her as a baby being held by her mom. Everything that is happening in this show is very real….maybe to an extreme, but real.

• Francesca says:

The show is fantastic. Singing better than I anticipated. I love the Rayna/Deacon scenes. I don’t get the negativity about him. Stalker? No. Don’t see that at all. Sad, yes.

19. Joann says:

I hope that ABC On Demand has posted this episode — sounds like a missed a lot — considering the news broke in with more Sandy news!

20. stef says:

I like the show…and I don’t care that Connie’s singing isn’t that strong. I can see her being a once great country star. What I don’t like is the chemistry between her and her husband and the inevitable relationship she is going to have with Deacon again. I know we are supposed to like the star-crossed lovers and hope they eventually get together…but at what expense? No matter what there is going to be a scandal and her two daughters are going to get hurt. I wish she loved her husband more but Teddy just seems kinda slimy.

21. This is an amazing show! It’s a perfect mix of characters, storylines and song!
    May it have at least 5 season !

22. cjeffery7 says:

i am really starting to love this show. while essentially a melodrama, it doesn’t lose itself in that cliche. it’s not DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA SWOON all the time and i really like that. it’s focused on the characters and subtlety and i LOVE LOVE LOVE that it’s not like the real housewives of Nashville cause lord knows we dont need any more “real” “housewives.”

23. holly says:

I really want to like the show. I like pretty much all of the people. They all have potential to be great characters. But I just don’t like it that much. It’s the same with Smash. They have the people that are the good guys and the people that are bad guys but its too cardboard. FNL was great because it was a community living their lives. I would love Nashville if it was trying to show these people in the business trying to survive it, without all the melodrama – shady deals, cheating scussy boyfriends, ambitious blondes. Well of course Juliette steals and is a slut and not as talented – her mom’s a druggie and abandoned her! Of course!

24. Amy says:

I’m conflicted about this show, but overall the good outweighs the bad. There’s a lot of angst going on in just about everyone.
    Rayna and Deacon: I see a lot of codependency between Rayna and Deacon. Neither one of them wants to let go, and whether he knows it consciously or not, instead of turning to alcohol when he and Rayna have a fight, Deacon turns to Juliette as his form of revenge/anger/frustration. I would like to see/hear more backstory on these two. Why would both of them torture each other by this “unrequited love” all these years or is there some more recent trigger? I don’t see any chemistry between Rayna and her husband though shes always telling him she loves him — methinks thou does protest too much. I wish the tipping point of all this hadn’t come so soon.
    Scarlett and Gunnar: First you see Gunnar attracted to Scarlett whose attention is fixed totally on self-absorbed Avery. Last episode you start to see Scarlett maybe having some attachment to Gunnar when she sees him with the assistant.
    Juliette & Teddy & Rayna’s father: Hopefully not turning into typical soap characters. Juliette: Too much fame too soon. Sees something (like Deacon) and wants it. Teddy: Bad deed comes to light. Father: Dastardly dad with maybe a heart somewhere underneath it all.
    Music has been great so far. I agree with the person who said it’s not that important that Connie’s voice isn’t that strong. The emotion is there.

25. Martin says:

I think that Raynas husband and the other woman have a secret child together. Also, the Juliette storyline is my favourite.

26. MrsB918 says:

I too really want to love this show. I’m a huge Connie Britton fan (clear eyes, full hearts can’t lose!) But the writers need to move the stories along. It’s too slow to keep me hooked. And get Hayden and Connie in a few scenes together! They were so good in the pilot – I want to see more Southern catfights – all the sweet but bitchy banter is the best!

27. deemarie says:

I’ll definitely keep watching, but I do feel less pulled in by each episode. I adore Connie Britton so I’ll keep in it. I don’t see Deacon as a stalker…pathetic, a little, and weak, yes, but if anything, Juliette is doing all the initiating!

Am I imagining things or did Rayna’s dad once hint that Maddie, Rayna’s older daughter, might be Deacon’s child? I swear I thought I heard him say that but then they never mentioned it again. Maybe they’re building up to it.

Also I was not pleased with the Connecticut snide joke in there…I’m proud to be a CT girl, and anyone who thinks our whole state is comprised of Country Club Stepford families is very misinformed. But there are lots of us country-music-loving, down-to-earth folks who like to tease or own faults but I was kinda annoyed to hear that joke that Rayna thought playing a gig in CT would be worse than hell. Yeesh.

28. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I think most agree that Connie [& to a lesser extent perhaps, Hayden] is the reason we’re all hanging on and watching the show. The show is slick [in a good way], well produced and moves along well, and one can see the talent all there behind the scenes and in front of the camera.

But with all that, it is still a soap opera and the ratings continue to fall; maybe this week due to east coast storm. However, sooner or later the ratings need to level out and start to climb a bit… a pattern Revenge took last year. Soaps need to retain their audience levels – very hard to build up those numbers once the audience starts to tune out.

I’m still not convinced the show needs that ‘third-wheel’ storyline of Gunner-Scarlett-Avery, by far the weak link in the show. We’ll see how the ratings look in another few episodes – if they continue to fall, bad news either way. Too bad, but the audience is declining – people tuning out as noted by some of the posts above.

29. J says:

Am really liking the show but thought Ep 4 was weakest so far. Slow, repetitive and not enough music. Too many enigmatic Rayna/Deacon conversations. Too many angry conversations with her dad that result in them still seeing each other constantly.
    That said, Connie’s acting takes my breath away sometimes. She carries it. Hayden’s singing is very good, but the character seems not formed yet. I like the Bluebird Cafe scenes and vibe. Loved “Fade into You.” Love the daughters too! And, Kimberlee Williams is good so I hope they give her more to do than just seethe in the corners at Teddy.
    I think the danger is that Rayna’s husband is not likeable or compelling. If right from the start we hope she goes with Deacon, where does the show go from here? I think some storylines are a little formulaic – hopefully they’ll figure it out when they see which types of lines/characters really jump off the screen.

30. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Nashville fans – Help! I can’t get that actress who played Hailey [Jeannie's publishing assistant] out of my head. Who is she?? I’ve watched the show over again on ABC.com, and checked out the final credits, but couldn’t find her name. I did find Tiffany Morgan’s name, who plays Jeanne, but no Hailey. Even the guys who played the cops (at Juliette’s door) are listed in the closing credits, but no Hailey.

I searched all over the web this evening, going around and around to find anything about her…and finally I may have found her name – Chloe Bennet (?) Nothing on imdb, nothing on Google/Bing/Yahoo images, searches, no facebook, no twitter, no linkedIn …nothing.

Help? I gotta give up on this – need to get to work tomorrow morning so need to hit the sack and get some sleep. Anyone with any idea where to find more info on Chloe? I’m counting on you guys!

31. kamotion says:

I keep coming back for Chip Esten (Deacon). He was so talented on “Whose Line” and now he shines every week on “Nashville.” I think Hayden is doing a great job (way better than I expected). I’m sorry, pink macaroni? WTH? I almost vomited when I heard that that even exists.

32. Maggie Ames says:

I LOVE this show…I love Connie and Hayden. I also love Deacon. I’m hoping it stays on for a long while.

33. Lisa says:

LOVE this show! Also love Jonathan Jackson and wish he was in a more prominent, likable role!

34. Rain says:

I’m really loving the show so far. Hayden is doing great and I love the Deacon character – not sure why anyone would consider him stalkerish. I’m a Connie fan from FNL and AHS but not loving her in this, Rayna is just such a spoiled brat of a character. And Connie really needs to stick to acting because her singing is awful! I actually love Avery – but that’s probably from my Lucky love from years ago! Plus, bad boys are always just more fun to watch. I find Gunnar insanely boring (and honestly, kinda unattractive). Love listening to Scarlett sing but wish she’d baby talk a lot less!

• Amy says:

I love the Deacon character too. I just found this week’s episode slow in comparison to the other 3 — though I do admit I Tivo’d the first 3 and watched them all in one sitting. I heard that hint about Maddie too. Seems kind of crazy though that Deacon wouldn’t have figured it out. Definitely need more backstory.

35. Rebecca says:

I LOVE this show!!!! I think the singing is good! It’s still just finding its groove but I really do enjoy it!!!

36. Chili says:

Well for some reason I always find myself drawn to the trouble-making characters… that’s why I like Avery and Lamar best on this show. Lamar’s just a devil, but with a sore spot. I think he’s a really interesting character, one that’s probably hard to write.
    And Avery’s just got problems with himself, I love that sorta character, he’s jealous and a little deceitful and just generally problematic, but I’m still waiting for him to get a little more three-dimensional. So far we haven’t seen a lot of him so I can only hope his character will get a little more depth, like some sort of background or history. There’s gotta be some sorta explanation for why Scarlet is convinced he’s “the one”. She’s much too nice to him, it’s aggravating.
    I wonder what Gunnar sleeping with Hailey triggered in Scarlet though. Will it throw her back in Avery’s arms or will she think about it and notice she’s jealous and wants Gunnar all of a sudden?
    I think it’d be hilarious if Scarlet and Gunnar did end up together, and Avery eventually bumped into Juliette “a little slower”. That scene in the pilot musta been good for something, right?