NBC to Air Hurricane Sandy Telethon Friday; Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel Among Performers

The networks of NBC Universal — including NBC, Bravo, CNBC, USA, Syfy, etc — are joining forces Friday to air a live, hour-long telethon to support victims of Hurricane Sandy.

The Matt Lauer-hosted Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together will air from 8-9 pm and feature performances by Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Jon Bon Jovi and Christina Aguilera.

The telethon also will be live-streamed on NBC.com.

1. Not to sound cynical but they’re trying to boost Grimm.

• Dizzle says:

There’s nothing wrong with killing two birds with one stone…. Besides, telethons normally air on Fridays regardless to avoid disrupting the more profitable weekday lineups.

2. j says:

The fact that it’s NBC doing this reminds me of that 30 rock episode where Jack pre-tapes all disaster possibilities so that he can air a telethon before anyone else.

3. Jo says:

you may want to correct the headline – pretty sure the guy’s name is bruce :)

4. Trista says:

What time will Grimm air?

5. Jake says:

I was fine with all until I saw Matt Lauer is hosting..Not sure what everyone finds so fantastic about this man…other than his over inflated ego.

6. James Spraberry says:

What about the replay of Revolution that was scheduled?

7. wrstlgirl says:

8-9 pm What time zone? Eastern? Pacific?

8. Dom says:

Hell yeah Billy Joel. Hell yeah Bruce Springsteen. This then Fringe makes this Friday night super awesome.

9. Jellymoff says:

I hope Kanye West will appear.

• Jen says:

Lol. This made me laugh. Maybe he could tell everyone that Obama doesn’t like white people.

• Evan says:

Stop making jokes idiot. We lost our homes, our livelihoods and loved ones here on the jersey shore. We are still millions without power, heat and our gas supplies are dwindling. It’s approaching freezing every night. Think twice before you say something stupid, Obama is doing a lot for us. More than you. I expect you’ll be donating to the relief effort.

• Laurie Emerson says:

As someone who iives in Biloxi, MS where Hurricane Katrina made a direct hit, our thoughts and prayers go out to all those up North who lost so much. We had the opposite of the cold, with 100 degree plus inside and outside and no power for weeks. We have already sent power trucks up your way and are also as individuals are helping to collect to donate. We will never forget all those who came down here in our hour of need and just know that we are thinking of all of you everyday.

10. wmjindsm says:

Eastern Times: 8PM – Telethon, 9pm – Grimm, 10pm – Revolution

11. Irena Gallo says:

Do the people organizing this realize that many people who may want to watch this–and donate, still don’t have power? And that many of the people who could make big contributions…well, they don’t have power either (although if you have enough big money, you are certainly somewhere safe and with power and WiFi by now) so they can’t watch and contribute.

And if they do it, I hope this thing include links, etc. to LOCAL charities, etc. who can get money into the hands of “real” people who cannot afford food, their rent, gas, etc. because 1. they could not get to work and would not be paid for days they did not work and 2. The places they worked are either closed, destroyed or out of business due to Sandy and aftermath…so: No pay. No work.

There are tons of real people in NYC right now in this situation. Nobody talks about them on the coverage. Disaster comes in many forms. Red cross and FEMA don’t help folks who have homes/apartments but can’t get to work and aren’t getting paid or whose companies went under and / or will not open, if at all, for weeks. So they don’t have jobs (and no, they don’t qualify for unemployment either!) Real nightmare.

Big-shot execs can stay home, still get paid. Not working folks. (Heck, idiot mayor and all his staff didn’t even figure out that cabs and livery should be admitted without a minimum of three people this morning, which created a nightmare situation. And meant people who needed cabs couldn’t get them and effectively kept cabbies from making another day’s pay, even while spending HOURS in line and using costly gas (in short supply) up )

Yea, I’m skeptical how much help these “specials” actually provide.

• You’re right on many levels, but what right do we have to judge others. I say we watch the special and then message everyone we know the links, numbers and info etc. to help the East Coast. My family is from the east coast, except for my mom and my dad’s side, so I will be watching to see what I can do to help. How can we change the world, one act of random kindness at a time

• Templar says:

So, you’re saying they shouldn’t have the benefit? How would that help anyone? Your post doesn’t make sense in the context of this article. This will air nationwide giving the other 300 million folks across the US a chance to help. Maybe it won’t help all of those affected, but it will help a lot.

• tammy says:

Agree 100% with you! Where did all the money go for hurricane katrina? Praying for you!!

12. More power to NBC Universal, glad that they’re doing this. With that said, I am disappointed that some of us are asking “What about Grimm?!” Who cares?! I watch CBS on Mondays and didn’t find out about their decision to pull all of this week’s episodes due to Coverage and I didn’t cry about it. For one day, can’t y’all think about others for once instead of when your fave little show will air? Besides when Mt. Ranier goes and my area is in danger, I’d like to hope that most of you will forget about your life and shows for a moment to help us

• Sg.Grant says:

I don’t watch Grimm, but I think a lot of people in other parts of the world are a little tired of the storm coverage.

• Templar says:

Change the channel.

• sarcasticMi says:

Yeah I know, all this coverage of a huge devasation that destroyed parts of a couple states & ruined the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. I can’t believe thereis souch coverage on the news about it when Lindsey is probably getting a speeding ticket somewhere & Kim is somewhere else without underwear. How can no one be covering these important stories when there is real news happening? And I can’t believe I had to watch reruns this week & some of my favorite shows were bumped to a different day or time. It’s ruining my life! It’s not like I can go out & have a social life, or see a movie, or read a book, or even take a moment to be thankful I have a roof over my head, food to eat & my friends and family are all safe.Geesh, what is wrong with TV stations now-a-days? Where are their priorities?

• Sg.Grant says:

Overreact much? Damn. Don’t worry about me and my social life. I’ll have plenty of high school football to watch, and then a chili cook-off (which benefits firefighters and police) to prepare for.

• Evan says:

You’re insensitive to your fellow Americans. We are freezing, hungry and without basic essentials. You’d be singing a different tune had this been in your region. Stop being a douché bag.

• You know, it’s possible for people to show that they care without having to watch some crappy telethon. Because it’s not like there aren’t a dozen other ways to donate/support relief efforts. And with all the hurricane coverage being pushed on us at all other times of the day, what’s wrong with people wanting to unwind a bit with their favorite shows? No one even said that they didn’t want the telethon to air, they just wanted to make sure that the regularly scheduled episode of a show that they like is still coming on in addition to it.

• sarcasticMi says:

I understand how inconvenient it must be not knowing when your favorite show is going to be on but (1) age of the internet – there are simple & fast ways to find out without asking on a comments blog about a relief concert; (2) way too many people are complaining about too much storm coverage, especially when you consider all the other things they can do with their time, including change the channel to one of the many other channels that is not covering it; (3) – if your biggest complaint today is you are missing new eps of your favorite show, you really should count your blessings. I am actually in NY where the storm hit & I understand if you weren’t personally affected you don’t get it, but people died, many lost their cars, homes & everuthing they owned, including their TVs. Considering this is an article about relief efforts, show some respect & rant about your frustration over what is being broadcasted this week somewhere else. Maybe you will inderstand when something like this takes your home or child.

• Sg.Grant says:

For you to expect people to show respect, you should show some respect to them. You fail in the regard.

• (1) Yes it’s an article about a relief concert, but it’s still on a site about TV. And at the time the article was first posted NBC’s own website still hadn’t been updated to show that they’re airing this telethon, so it kinda was easier just to ask the question here (again, on a site about TV, especially one that has been keeping people up to date on TV schedule changes this week). (2) If that’s people’s opinions then so be it. I honestly don’t even think they’re completely without merit. When something like this happens in other areas of the country it doesn’t get covered nearly as much (on a national level) as this hurricane has been this week. And sure people can do other things with their time (which they’ve obviously had to when their shows didn’t come on), but does that mean they can’t also voice their frustration with not being able to see their favorite shows? (3) Chastising people by playing the tragedy card is kinda low, isn’t it? Everybody has gone through their own tragedies in life, so to say that people who weren’t personally affected by this specific one don’t get it is just ignorant. Everyone undoubtedly feels sorry for all of the victims of this hurricane as they would for the victims of any tragedy, but does this mean that every single person in this country needs to stop living their life normally? Most people do what they can how they can to help during these times, so being attacked under the pretense not caring just because they want to know about a TV show just diminishes the efforts those people have made.

• Ann says:

And, for crying out loud — it is possible to both care about those affected AND want to know when your TV show will air. It’s not an either/or thing.

13. Patrick says:

Operation Righteous Cowboy Lightening is a go.

Jack Donaghy, you wily genius.

14. Annie says:

Matt Lauer is the 1 tat went the bosses of NBC Universal. So why wouldn’t they give the hostin duties 2 him. Matt is a carin person. Some of U think he’s egotistical. Tat’s ur opinion! If U don’t like him don’t watch.

15. GS says:

I don’t see why all those who will be begging for money from those of us who are struggling to get by in a crappy economy can’t give a million or so a piece that won’t make a dent in their bank accounts and stop begging us to give! I’m sorry it happened and I’m praying for them but I took a major paycut after being out of work for a year. Bruce Springsteen could give a couple million and be just fine. I’m sick of this every time something happens. I also bet a lot of those folks have to be paid to participate which really shows how crappy and greedy this country is becoming!

• denny says:

Who says they aren’t giving money? Quite a few of these celebrities are known to donate heavily to charities. People would moan if the celebrities made a huge deal out of their giving, so they give and it usually goes unreported. Either way – a little money from everyone will surely help much more than (just) a lot of money from a few famous people.

• GS says:

Yeah I remember during some telethon Ellen made a big deal about giving $50,000. Really? she’s worth $100 million. “Normal” people are way more generous than rich people most of the time. That’s why the rich are rich you know.

• Jen says:

I don’t know for certain whether these celebrities are being paid to perform, but I would be pretty disgusted if they were. All of the celebrities that are scheduled to perform are from either New York or New Jersey, so it would really make sense for them to be doing it for charity and not expecting any compensation, but who knows.

• Templar says:

I’m pretty confident that Bon Jovi and Springsteen are not taking any payment. Jon Bon Jovi has been instrumental in building more than 260 houses for Habitat for Humanity, he funds a food pantry, a childhood AIDS foundation and has a farm devoted to raising honey bees because there is a world shortage of bees to pollinate crops. He’s been paying it forward for 30 years. Not as familiar with Springsteen’s philanthropy but I’m told he’s also very generous.

• Pokie says:

What I can’t understand is why every time we have a disaster we have to sing our way through it? I am from New York and I know what’s happening here. I don’t want to sound cynical. I am not in the mood to hear people entertain me while asking for donations to help these devastated people. I don’t feel comfortable with that.

16. af78 says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a number of the artists performing in the telethon not only don’t take a fee for it, but also donate millions of their own money. Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi are from New Jersey – where Bon Jovi grew up was totally flooded, and I’m pretty sure that Asbury Park (home of the Stone Pony, where Springsteen got his start) lost a good portion of its boardwalk and experienced major flooding. Both still have homes here, and I would be shocked if they themselves didn’t experience destruction of their homes on some level.

So sure, telethons may not be the most efficient way, but they deserve credit for doing this. Bruce Springsteen IS New Jersey, and lots of people across the U.S. know that. If you don’t want to watch it, don’t watch it. But don’t disparage it, either. People are trying to manage the best they can.

And yes, I am writing this from NJ, beyond grateful that my power and internet have been restored. The videos of the destruction have reduced me to tears. And for people who say it’s just a small portion of the country – about 20 states were affected by this storm. So have a little humanity.

17. Maria says:

Listen I live on Long Island and drive by the devastation every day. Schools have been closed all week, jobs closed, gas stations are tapped so the few that have power and gas have a line 7 hrs long to get gas. You ppl are worried about Grimm or that you missed your shows, how about us who don’t have homes or any belongings to come back to. We can’t even get cell service half the one cause the towers are outta wack. I have to try 10 times to make a call to check on my family in othe parts of the island. I appreciate the telethon and think its a great thing. Take the time and put donate a dollar to the Red Cross. If everyone did that it would be a huge help. I know people that houses burnt to the ground, were flooded, had trees smash thru their car or houses-besides the fact that over half of LI is still without power. Get your heads outta your butts people.

• Sara says:

And with all of that devastation you find time to visit an entertainment site? Strange priorities.

• Maria says:

Yes in downtime the one luxury I have is my iPhone and web in sitting down at night I go on the Internet while relaxing. Excuse me, who are you to even question it.

18. Kizzy says:

Wow! Some people are just so caught up on themselves that they can see pass their own lack of humanity. I am stuck in zone a in NYC with no power, heat, hot water or cell phone service. All our cars were destroyed and our house is severely damaged. We were asked to evacuate, but we have two golden retrievers, one with a large tumor, who couldn’t come t a shelter with us. In a time like this tv shows and grammar are your main concern, then you are the biggest thread to this country’s future. Where is the humanity????

• Sara says:

Then, how is it that you have internet service?

• Christine says:

You’re insanely obnoxious Sara.. Are you 12 or just incredibly rude and immature? I live on Long Island and thankfully my power has been turned back on at this point, and there was no permanent damage to my house. The cell service on the island has been ridiculous since the storm. Sometimes the internet works, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes you’re able to make a call or send a text message and some times you can’t. When peoples smart phones do work and they are able to get on the internet, there is only so much news you can read about the devastation that has occurring/is occuring all around you, so people look at entertainment websites to take their minds off the stresses of their every day lives.
        Please let me know where you live, so that the next time a natural disaster happens in your area I can call you a cry baby, and ask how you’ve spent every minute of every day afterwards.
        Grow up!!

• Maria says:

I’m with you Christine. In on Long Island too. This girl has no idea. Our phones when they have service is the one food thing we have to get our kids off the devastation. Good luck to you and your family.

19. Andrea Penaloza says:

How can my family get help from this telethon? I can’t go to work because there is no bus service were I am at and I ran out of money for food. We have no electricity either…. I never thought I would end up like this. I’m a single mother and have no family. I’m desperate.

20. Cherita says:

As a Floridian I don’t get it. Why are New Yorker’s so special? Florida telethons are no where to be found after each hurricane we suffer. Jokes are made by your news casters towards us. But after seeing the lack of humanity that New Yorker’s offer to each other, I’ll pick Florida any day. No fights at the pump for gas or yelling for camera time because one area is getting their electricity on faster than another Or just the fighting I’ve seen for simple supplies. It is soulless to see a mother not let into a neighbors house for safety; they would leave her on the porch in a storm/flood for her children to be swept away to their deaths. We help each other in need, in Florida we are all neighbors. We have patience and understanding and most importantly love for other humans, especially in their time of need. So raise your money with all your star power.. I’ll pick Florida in a storm any day.