Wilfred Renewed for Season 3

Dog might be man’s best friend, but today, FX is one pup’s closest pal.

Wilfred has been picked up for a 13-episode Season 3, the cabler announced Wednesday.

The dark comedy’s third cycle will find writer/producers Reed Agnew and Eli Jorné taking the helm as co-showrunners, replacing former Wilfred boss David Zuckerman, who will remain on board as an executive producer.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy‘s Kurt Sutter on Gemma’s ‘Deep Bond’ With Clay, SAMCRO’s Rising Death Toll

“David Zuckerman has done an amazing job adapting and reconceiving Wilfred for FX,” Executive Vice President of Original Programming Nick Grad said in a statement. “It was his decision to step down from the [showrunner's] post, but we’re very happy he is going to stay involved with the show. Both we and David have great faith in the ability of Reed and Eli to seamlessly step up and take over the reins. I have no doubt they’ll do a great job.”

Production on Wilfred‘s third season is slated to begin next spring, with new episodes bowing in June 2013.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Renewals

1. :-) says:

I find it hard to believe that Wilfred is a comedy.

2. Jrs says:

Love this show. Great news!

3. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Good news, this show is hilarious.

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

Hmm. I won’t lie, I’m a little surprised. The show has never been as funny or good as the pilot was. There was a huge decline after that point. People sometimes ask me if I recommend it because they know I watch it, and usually I just say, “Umm, well, I think you would love Louie!” Speaking of which, I am curious what they will air Wilfred with since Louie is on such a long hiatus. [Sigh]. Now why did I have to go and think about that??

• Doug-H says:

I too wonder about losing its companion show though to be honest this last summer, I looked forward more to Wilfred than Louie though I did enjoy the Louie Arc about maybe getting Letterman.. I can see why CK is taking some time off to recharge since he’s almost a one man show on that TV show… It would be interesting to see how CK would handle Sandy…

5. jojo says:

I’m actually surprised by this renewal after last seasons ratings.

• gary says:

The ratings where excellent. There was no doubt it was gonna be renewed. FX and most Cable next just dont go by overnights. They take in account all the replays

6. Jellymoff says:

I thought Season 2 was an improvement on Season 1. Very funny and weird. Just how I like it.

7. desi says:

I really enjoy this show and find it hilarious… I was skeptical at first because I wasn’t sure how entertaining Elijah Wood would be, but this role is perfect for him! I have watched a few episodes of the orginal show from Australia, which has the same actor for the dog, and it had a much darker/creepier feel to it… It is a one of kind show that uses a very dark and twisted humor and I am so happy to hear it has been renewed!

• Matthew says:

They are really different shows, the Australian and American versions and I enjoy them thoroughly. Great news on renewal.

8. Nat says:

I’m so happy to hear that there’s going to be a season 3 for Wilfred:) Thank god!! And for all you that are just commenting negative about Wilfred that you don’t even think its funny etc. then why are you looking up Wilfred? Get OUT OF HERE!! Wilfred is rather for people that get high and understand the trip about it. I personally, Love Wilfred it’s my favorite show and i thank Jason Gann for such amazing thoughts!!

9. CW says:

I’m really happy Wilfred got renewed. It’s probably my favorite show on TV right now.

10. Wilfredfan says:

Thrilled about the renewal. Enjoyed Season 2 very much. Will admit, I was let down by the season closing without introducing Ryan’s father, but now they can bring him in next season. Cannot wait.