When It Poured, They Reigned: Our Five Favorite Hurricane Sandy Stars

The damage Hurricane Sandy wrought along the East Coast Monday and Tuesday merited hours and hours of news coverage – and if you’re anything like us, you watched it all.

Along those lines, you too might be looking for a little levity to balance the terrible images and stories the storm left in its aftermath. So we’d like to present some breakout stars from the past two days – chosen because they made us laugh, or because they were quick with a camera or just because they did a yeoman’s job in incredibly uncomfortable circumstances.

Go ahead and read through our list of breakout storm stars. Then, when you’re done, make sure to hit the comments to mention the ones we missed!

RELATED | Storm Und Drang: 10 Great TV Weather-Related Events

MAYOR BLOOMBERG’S ASL INTERPRETER | Lydia Callis, who interpreted New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s briefings for the deaf and hard of hearing, made the best. faces. ever. Kudos to you, Ms. Callis, because there’s not much that can perk up the Big Apple head honcho’s acerbic press briefings. Not much, that is, except for…

EL BLOOMBERG | … Bloomie’s Spanish summations at the end of every press conference, related in pretty much the worst Spanish accent we’ve ever heard. He’s been doing the Spancaps for a while now — would it kill the guy to throw in a rolled “r” here and there? [Skip ahead to 15:00 mark in the video below.]

NEW JERSEY GOVERNOR CHRIS CHRISTIE | He fielded calls from President Obama in his sleep! He said Election Day “doesn’t matter a lick to me” compared to the well-being of his constituents! He didn’t mince words about the stupidity of sticking around low-lying areas! He filled out that fleece! No matter what you think of the man’s politics, the Garden State gov was large and in charge during and after Sandy’s visit. The Boss would be proud.

QUICK-THINKING AMATEUR VIDEOGRAPHERS | What did the world do before smartphones? If it weren’t for the self-censoring guy who captured the apartment façade collapse (we wonder if his avoidance of the F-word was because he knew the clip would go viral) and the person whose crane-collapse video ruled the news, we might not have seen these crazy images as they happened.

THAT GUY | You know him. He’s surfing in the background of a live shot from an evacuated seaside neighborhood. He’s going for a stroll as the gusts reach 65 mph. He’s refusing to evacuate his home, despite the fact that water is lapping at his ankles. He’s likely to need the help of emergency personnel at some point. Plus side? He makes us feel really, really smart and responsible.

1. Ann VerWiebe says:

God bless Chris Christie! I may not always agree with him, but he is as straightforward as they come. In a crisis, I want him to have my back.

2. Carrie says:

I will give Christie his due. He’s a blowhard, but not a fool. More politicians need to learn I put their constituents before their politics.

• april-ann says:

Agree. Now I just might have to forgive him for having gone AWOL during the worst snowstorm of that brutal winter of 2011. NJ was hit hard by that too.

3. Mnun says:

Deaf and hard of hearing, please don’t use hearing impaired as this is an out dated and not nice a word. Thanks

• Ana says:

Agreed. But in all honesty, unless you are somehow connected with the deaf/hard of hearing community, chances are you are not aware of it. Unfortunately, this community doesn’t get nearly as much attention as it deserves. Maybe more people should watch Switched at Birth.

• Sg.Grant says:

Really? Get over your politically correctness.

• David4 says:

How is hearing impaired bad and outdated? I think we are really going off the deep end with the political correctness.

• sara says:

I have a hearing aid in one ear and no hearing in my other ear, hearing impaired is what I am. It’s not offensive

• tp says:

Hearing impaired is not nice? Why? No snark I would like to understand.

• Amelia says:

Hearing impaired implies that there is something wrong with a person, that they are somehow broken and in need of repair. That is part of why the term is considered to be offensive.
        Also, like a previous poster (Mnun) pointed out, the term “hearing impaired” is out of date, the word deaf is sufficient.

4. Ana says:

First, the interpreter’s name is Calas, not Callis. Love seeing that the deaf/hard of hearing community is not being neglected. And as adorkable as her expressions are, the truth is that expressions are an integral part of ASL communication. They convey meaning and intensity. And kudos to Gov. Christie. He did not mince words at all. He was in charge and he was very clear on his directives.

• ohlala says:

this has been driving me nuts, thank you for pointing it out! yeah let’s all laugh at the lady doing deaf language cuz her face is funny! except not. it is like you said integral, and she does an amazing job, and i’m not sure why hearing people give a crap all the sudden. and as for the conversation above about hearing impaired not being offensive, people are effing stupid. just plain old dumb and mean and stupid. smh

• Boomer says:

Who’s laughing at her? I don’t see this new attention as laughing at her.
        And, yes the expressions are important in ASL but she seems to put a little extra into them. I don’t see that with other translators…
        I am entertained and fascinated by her but I am not laughing at her.

• Amelia says:

Apparently she became the butt of jokes on several talk-shows because, like has been previously mentioned, the beautiful language and culture of our country’s Deaf is not usually brought to the attention of the Hearing as much as it has been in the last week.

5. Kerry says:

How about @DonnieWahlberg and the vids he tweeted of his flooded place?

6. Jenn says:

I live in the pacific northwest so I am unaware of names of weather people in the New York area (maybe an NBC affiliate?). However, I was watching coverage last evening and there was one meterologist in particular, a lovely woman wearing a little black dress. who gave an over six minute long update of all sorts of things and never missed a single beat. She never stumbled over any words, pronounciations of cities, and didn’t utter a single “um” or “uh.” She hardly paused to take a breath, but everything she said was perfect. I could tell towards the end she had a cold and probably needed to blow her nose, but she kept on going (not even sniffing). She was a superstar! I wish I could remember her name. Stay safe out there east coasters!

7. David4 says:

The governor of CT came out and said that if the people on the coast stayed and wanted to be rescued at 11pm at night with water rising into their homes that too bad, no one was coming to help them until morning. That they need to go to a higher floor, and if it was a ranch then to get on the roof because it was a Katrina like situation. He was mad people didn’t take his warnings seriously.

8. CJ says:

I live in NJ, and regardless of what people think of Gov. Christie’s politics, most would agree that he is an absolute rock star during natural disasters. He is straightforward, sensible, and does a good job of regularly updating New Jerseyans on the situation. After every serious snow storm we’ve had, as well as Hurricane Irene (and now Hurricane Sandy) I am always impressed with Gov. Christie’s handling of each event.

On another note, when I saw that Bloomberg press conference yesterday, I could not stop watching Lydia Calas. She is so, so awesome. Clearly, lots of people agree as she is the star of the internet today, it seems.

9. Amy says:

That apartment collapse was insane, I saw a picture of it out of context last night and I honestly thought it was photoshopped. I’m glad no one was hurt there

10. KM says:

That Guy, also known as natural selection at work. Also ties in with what Governor Christie said, if it looks stupid, its probably stupid.

11. I know it’s not funny and that it’s a serious natural disaster and everything but that ASL interpreter had me hating myself for wanting to laugh so hard.

• Amelia says:

I had a much different reaction; Ms. Calas makes me proud to be in the same program that she graduated from. She is truly one of the best interpreters I have ever seen, I can only hope that when I graduated I can be able to utilize my interpreting skills as well as she can.

12. Alex says:

Wow. Bloomberg makes the effort to communicate in Spanish, and all you can do is complain about his accent?

13. lariet50 says:

That Guy is eternal. Anyone remember the dude who flashed American during Hurricane Irene last year? Eric Fisher from the Weather Channel was piiiiissssed.

14. Ali says:

Seeing Christie talking the talk AND walking the walk made me sad that he didn’t run against Obama. I have to vote for Romney, just to get Obama out, but I’m not happy about it. Christie would have blown up my skirt a lot more. It’s true, he’s large and in charge and we need a President like that, not this socialist guy who is really nice but jut not working for our country.

15. Destiny says:

The Deaf Dream (https://www.facebook.com/TheDeafDream) wrote to Chelsea Handler to express our disapproval of how our language and cultural has been addressed in the last few days. Take a look at our letter on our page to see why we have such strong feelings about this issue!

We support Lydia Callis. She did an excellent job interpreting, using ASL the way it is supposed to be used=expressive and visual. We stand by her despite the remarks that have been made across the nation. Our language represents our culture, community, and history of oppression and we stand up when it is mocked and not respected.

16. Brad says:

What about Staten Island??? Bloomberg failed miserably an now it’s being let a secret. People are stranded there and in the Rockaways. No one is helping them!!