Community Gets Return Date! Plus: Smash Moves to Tuesdays, Revolution Takes a Break & More!

Good news, Human Beings: Community at long last has a return date!

NBC unveiled its midseason game plan on Tuesday and the big news is that the underdog comedy will reclaim its Thursday at 8/7c time slot beginning Feb. 7, replacing 30 Rock (which will have wrapped its 13-episode final season by then).

Community‘s fourth season was initially supposed to launch on Friday, Oct. 19 along with Whitney, but NBC (wisely) scrapped that plan at the last minute. (As previously reported, Whitney returns Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 8/7c, replacing the cancelled Animal Practice.)

RELATED | Community Spoiler: The Season of Jeff/Britta?

Other highlights from NBC’s winter/spring scheduling announcement:

* The new drama Deception (formerly Infamous) will premiere Monday, Jan. 7 at 10/9c, replacing hiatus-bound Revolution (which will resume its freshman run on Monday, March 25).

* The Biggest Loser returns with a two-night premiere on Sunday, Jan. 6 (9-11 pm) and Monday, Jan. 7 (8-10 pm), and will continue to air Mondays until The Voice returns on March 25.

* Smash will relocate to Tuesdays at 10/9c, kicking off its second season with a two-hour episode on Feb. 5. (Parenthood completes its fourth season in January.)

RELATED | Smash Scoop: Rescue Me Alum to Woo [Spoiler] in Season 2!

* The first of two 30-minute episodes of Betty White’s Off Their Rockers will air Tuesdays at 8/7c beginning Jan. 8.

* New comedy 1600 Penn will air Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c beginning January 10. Parks and Recreation, meanwhile, shifts to 8:30/7:30c after Community. What about Up All Night? As we reported on Monday, the sophomore comedy is taking a little break to tinker with its format.

The Celebrity Apprentice returns Sunday, March 3 and will air two-hour editions for four straight weeks before (thankfully) slimming down to one-hour installments beginning March 31. Meanwhile, the Eva Longoria-produced reality series Ready For Love, bows on March 31 at 8/7c.

RELATED | Celebrity Apprentice All-Star Cast Announced!

1. TV Gord says:

My goodness, the whiners are out in full force on the blogosphere today! I guess the cheerful people are waterlogged with no power in the northeast. Meanwhile, the rest of us are having such a tough day…

2. Rrrrrr says:

Way to kill the only scripte show that’s actually doing well, NBC. Give it a 4 month break. Nice job.

3. Little Scarf Girl says:

D: February?! And against The Big Bang Theory AGAIN? This isn’t really looking too good for any future seasons. :\

4. Larc says:

Good way to kill Revolution!

5. Yeah says:

Very happy with this scheduling. Revolution will only take one huge hiatus, Community is back, and Deception starts.

6. David4 says:

I rather have it on Fridays.

Let’s be honest, the ratings are going to suck, they always suck. At least on Friday everyone expects TV show ratings to suck.

It’s clear that NBC is just burning the show off now.

7. George says:

What I find most odd about all this is the Parenthood news. I know it’s only a 15 episode season, but still. It’s not on tonight or next Tuesday because of the elections. Is NBC planning or running the rest of this season’s episodes consecutively (sans Xmas and New Years, which fall on Tuesdays)? That’s what this schedule seems to indicate.

8. Canadian-JBS says:

NBC is screwed on Thursday nights. Considering that their precious comedy block is going up against The Big Bang Theory, 2&1/2 Men, Person of Interest, Grey’s Anatomy & Glee, the ratings are going to freefall for ALL their comedies. This may be too radical, but what if NBC moves their entire comedy block to Monday night or Tuesday night. The ratings would most likely still be garbage, but I can’t see them being any worse than what they’re going to be.

9. Drewer says:

Um like no wonder NBC canceled that Dane Cook show before it aired and decided not to go through with “The Farm” for next year. Their comedy total will be ELEVEN by the end of this year, and that’s not even counting the SNL prime time specials. That is a lot of half-hours. Meanwhile I’m starting to worry if “The Goodwin Games” will ever premier on FOX.

10. Sooooo, when are they going give up on comedy Thursday and just put The Voice there? It easily beat X Factor earlier this year. Don’t ask me where to put the comedies, though. Every other day is occupado.

11. beej says:

That photo of Revolution’s Tracy Spiridakos is classic. That is about the total range of her acting ability right there. She’s either as bland as Kristen Stewart or she’s making that face right there. That’s it. That face is mad, annoyed, panic, love, hurt, crying, and whatever else the writers throw at her.

The main reason I stopped watching that show was her. I know I’m not alone.

• Whoa, didn’t notice that photo before. She looks like Gollum. She looks like she’s halfway to vampire teeth and forehead ridges. She is pretty terrible. But for me, the worst thing about the show isn’t her, it’s FREAKING EVERYTHING.

12. Eric says:

Well, this confirms that the thirteen episode order will no get extended.

13. Renee says:

Hiatus-bound Revolution? WTF? If I had known NBC was go to do something this stupid then I wouldn’t have watched any of it until after season 1 was completed. I don’t like being jerked around and have a tendency to drop shows when they do that.

14. raymon211 says:

you guys must be joking seriously no episodes until March 25th? Makes no sense bring it back a month earlier way to break up the momentum hopefully people will be as interested three months from now. If this is their gameplan for subsequent seasons then they should go with just airing it like LOST did with season 4 on.

15. Guy says:

Should have moved TNN to Thursdays to die (still don’t get the full season pickup) and paired Community with Go On to see if it could survive.

16. Truth says:

Oh, nice, right back up against the big bang theory where it will get killed every week in the BS ratings the go by. Just cancel it and tell us to go screw ourselves NBC, cause thats what you want to do anyway.

17. sarah says:

I am looking forward to Smash But honestly I would rather have 8 more episodes of Parenthood as I think it will have just 16. I guess there will be no repeats for Phood, except the week of xmas! As they have to fit it the rest of the episodes by Jan!

18. shippersgonnaship says:

Ew. Did you have to use that Jeff/Britta picture. I almost bought up my lunch.

So happy COMMUNITY is back. Shame it’s in February and on Thursdays because that’s killed it for good now but it’s coming back. Let’s sing.

19. Britta Unfiltered says:

Is it really better for it to air against Big Bang Theory than to be on Fridays? I’m not sure about that. I guess NBC doesn’t really care where they stick it, as it’s just their “filler” show anyway. Good news, bad situation here. Good news: it’s coming back! Bad news: It’s in a death slot and the long wait means there no chance of getting the back 9 picked up or even another season.
    I hate that picture of Britta and Jeff together in this article. I know it’s just a flashback, but still…this better be the season of Britta and Troy. If I have to see Britta and Jeff back in a relationship, I’m going to start a riot in the streets.

• Karen says:

Fully agreed with everything you said. It’s great but also very sad because it shows NBC just don’t care and wants it over with already. Also, if J/B are getting together in a proper relationship, I’m glad it’s the last season because that’s just completely boring and devoid of any chemistry to me. Not something I want to endure for a full season. I’d much rather see T/B. They were such a pleasant surprise last season. I love them.

• LOL says:

Frankenstorm already beat ya too it my friend ;)

20. Shifty says:

Ah, the perfect marriage of funny and funny: a whole hour of Community and Parks and Recreation. Can’t wait!

21. Tom Charles says:

What the frak? You can tell they really want to just get rid of Community. The last of the 13 will no doubt end up being the series finale

22. Jenny says:

Blah! This bums me out!! I have to wait til February to see more Community?!!! UGH! Oh well, I guess that hilarious one minute preview will have to do for now. February 7th is the new Oct 19th! lol

23. Brandy says:

Excited for Smash

24. Robin says:

Networks never, ever, EVER learn. Revolution gets good ratings now. So this is what we do. We take it off the air for 2 MONTHS. Brilliant NBC, absolutely brilliant. WTF!

25. Rick Katze says:

Addings to the comments about the STUPIDITY of NBC, they finally have a show like “Revolution” which has momentum and is drawing reasonable numbers in a difficult time slot and what do they do, why postpone it until March.

Is there anybody left at NBC with even a modicum of intelligence? I’m sure CBS and ABC are celebrating this ****-***** decision.

26. Danielle H. says:

Omg almost had a heart attack when I saw smash moved to Tues but luckily they put it at the one time I won’t have a dVR conflict. Can’t wait!

27. bobbie says:

ah, if winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Looking out my window for February!
    Psych, Community, Smash
    Although it’s community’s last :(

28. KC says:

Putting up against Big Bang is beyond stupid, but that’s what they’ve done with this show in the last season as well. NBC, wasn’t it the head of programming when the Olympics were on and NBC had to pretend that it was “LIVE” and skipped a tribute to the people of London that were killed by terrorists and instead had flippin’ Ryan Seacrest interview Michael Phelps during the Opening Ceremony! These guys wouldn’t know a hit if it smacked them upside the head (which is something I would truly love to do). NBC big wigs- you don’t know what America likes, wants to watch..you have no clue.

• Not that I’m defending NBC, but the truth is that Community was on Thursdays at 8 a month into the first season and CBS put Big Bang Theory into that slot the following year, not the other way around. The problem is that no show would do better in that slot (except maybe The Voice) and Community gets the blame and the shoddy scheduling treatment.

29. Bob says:

Don’t complain about February for Community. At least you’ll be able to watch it. NBC decided to squeeze TWO sweeps periods (Feb and May) out of Community in what will probably be its last season.

30. Lena says:

While 8:30 is a fantastic timeslot for Parks and Rec, my favorite comedy, it clashes with my other tv commitment Thursday night :( I’ll have to watch it the next day

31. Kristina says:

Why do networks not get that putting new shows on hiatus for months, especially in their first year, is a BAD idea? Glad Community is coming back, although I hate it’s so far away.

32. Titina says:

Yay! We have a sate for Smash finally! I cannot wait for season 2! I am dying for new episodes..

33. Sesalie says:

Smash has been moved to tuesdays now. Well unfortunetely nbc lost me im done with smash. First how do u go from October to FEBRUARY sounds like we dont know which direction to take the show. Second Im already committed to my Tuesday shows. Smash on Mondays at 9pm was perfect now NBC has screwed it all up. Lastly not feeling bringing in Jennifer Hudson nope gotta say that was my first indication of a wack season

34. Phil says:

Smash is fantastic !!!
    Best show on tv ever!!
    Great cast , songs & high drama !!!
    Try showing episodes several times a week to create a following & stop airing it up against blockbuster tv shows!!
    I loved season 1 & season 2 premiere ! I saw nothing fr season 1 that needed changing !!
    Would live to see the castes off characters briefly return to final up storylines. A and Dev as a regular appearing tension interst for Katen & Ivy!!!
    A 2 hour special episode of Bombshrll musical in its entirety seems mandatory ! We’ve see snips & pieces – a wonderful song filled show – shoe the whole musical !!!!
    U the live interst between Derrick & Karen is captivating !love live Smash for a season 3 & 4!!!
    This show will live on forever in DVD . Please let it play

35. Phil says:

Smash is the best!!!!
    Please NBC
    Give it longevity as u did with a season. 2!!
    A better timeslot seems mandatory!!!
    Highly promt the show – show several times a week even late night untill we have a faithfull following it deserves !!
    Encore performances seem fitting !
    Can crapy shows and rebroadcast episodes a Lot
    That cast is Fantasic as ate the songs & storylines !!!
    Really this is the best show a network cam make !! So classy & different from the crap on tv I the last 10+ years !!!
    Longsy it lve! Thank you thank you! I finally turn my
    Tv on again for this