Up All Night Will Switch to Traditional Multi-Cam Sitcom After Extended Winter Hiatus

Up All Night a multi-cam sitcomNBC’s Up All Night is shifting comedic gears, converting from a single-camera comedy (à la Modern Family) to a traditional multi-cam sitcom (in the style of The Big Bang Theory) come spring 2013.

RELATED | Up All Night Casts Alphas Beauty as Ava’s New BFF

Per our sister site Deadline, the sophomore series starring Christina Applegate, Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph will air the last of its single-cam installments aka Episode 11 sometime in December. The show will then go on an extended three-month winter hiatus as its sets are reconfigured to accommodate the multi-cam set-up.

Production will resume in February on five multi-camera episodes — to be taped in front of a live studio audience — boosting the Season 2 total to 16 half-hours.

Deadline says the idea for the switch came from Up All Night exec producer/Saturday Night Live overlord Lorne Michaels, “who was looking for a way to infuse the show with more energy” and got the idea after seeing both Applegate and Rudolph’s most recent SNL hosting appearances.

1. YowzaPowza says:

This is literally the worst idea I’ve heard in months. This show isn’t awful, but it’s not great either, which is why I stopped watching. I just don’t care. I was planning on watching a marathon someday midseason, but with this latest news, they’ve basically just sealed the nail in the coffin. Officially deleting this from my DVR. Horrible horrible idea.

2. chelsea says:

WHAT THE HELL?!?! I will NOT watch this show with laugh track. gross.

3. JB Smooove says:

Love this show, don’t think think this will help.

4. I have never commented on a story before but this is a HORRIBLE idea. I HATE multi-camera shows! I do not watch any that are on TV today. PLEASE CANCEL THIS IDEA!

5. Emilia says:

The cast in this show is amazing and it’s sad that they have to be on such a BORING show.

6. Mely says:

NBC sold their souls for Friends and haven’t had a hit since. NBC:hit shows as Cubs:WorldSeries

7. Mike says:

This doesn’t sound like good news to me, at all. I love Up All Night – and I’m not happy about these ‘changes’.

8. Fan X says:

UP ALL NIGHT is in dire need for a revamp. Ever since they started to write around Maya Rudolph instead of Applegate and Arnett, the show went downhill. It was way funnier when they had a TV show to produce rather than just hang out. The new addition of the brother as a roommate adds nothing. NOT A THING. He’s not exactly easy on the eyes, either.

Give AVA a new show! 86 the brother! Make it a show-within-a-show, that’s way funnier than whatever you’re trying to do right now. I used to really like it and think Arnett is great in this.

9. Adea says:

I think the show went downhill as soon as they introduced the brother…. Does he have to be in every episode?

10. Alex says:

I actually think Up All Night is very funny. I’m a bit fan of single camera sitcoms, so this announcement is extremely disappointing.