Up All Night Will Switch to Traditional Multi-Cam Sitcom After Extended Winter Hiatus

Get More: News, Spring TV Preview

Up All Night a multi-cam sitcomNBC’s Up All Night is shifting comedic gears, converting from a single-camera comedy (à la Modern Family) to a traditional multi-cam sitcom (in the style of The Big Bang Theory) come spring 2013.

RELATED | Up All Night Casts Alphas Beauty as Ava’s New BFF

Per our sister site Deadline, the sophomore series starring Christina Applegate, Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph will air the last of its single-cam installments aka Episode 11 sometime in December. The show will then go on an extended three-month winter hiatus as its sets are reconfigured to accommodate the multi-cam set-up.

Production will resume in February on five multi-camera episodes — to be taped in front of a live studio audience — boosting the Season 2 total to 16 half-hours.

Deadline says the idea for the switch came from Up All Night exec producer/Saturday Night Live overlord Lorne Michaels, “who was looking for a way to infuse the show with more energy” and got the idea after seeing both Applegate and Rudolph’s most recent SNL hosting appearances.

Tags: ,

Comments (105)

• This is literally the worst idea I’ve heard in months. This show isn’t awful, but it’s not great either, which is why I stopped watching. I just don’t care. I was planning on watching a marathon someday midseason, but with this latest news, they’ve basically just sealed the nail in the coffin. Officially deleting this from my DVR. Horrible horrible idea.

Comment by YowzaPowza – October 29, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT THE HELL?!?! I will NOT watch this show with laugh track. gross.

Comment by chelsea – October 29, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show, don’t think think this will help.

Comment by JB Smooove – October 29, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never commented on a story before but this is a HORRIBLE idea. I HATE multi-camera shows! I do not watch any that are on TV today. PLEASE CANCEL THIS IDEA!

Comment by Chris Wieneke – October 29, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The cast in this show is amazing and it’s sad that they have to be on such a BORING show.

Comment by Emilia – October 30, 2012 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC sold their souls for Friends and haven’t had a hit since. NBC:hit shows as Cubs:WorldSeries

Comment by Mely – October 30, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This doesn’t sound like good news to me, at all. I love Up All Night – and I’m not happy about these ‘changes’.

Comment by Mike – October 30, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UP ALL NIGHT is in dire need for a revamp. Ever since they started to write around Maya Rudolph instead of Applegate and Arnett, the show went downhill. It was way funnier when they had a TV show to produce rather than just hang out. The new addition of the brother as a roommate adds nothing. NOT A THING. He’s not exactly easy on the eyes, either.

Give AVA a new show! 86 the brother! Make it a show-within-a-show, that’s way funnier than whatever you’re trying to do right now. I used to really like it and think Arnett is great in this.

Comment by Fan X – October 31, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the show went downhill as soon as they introduced the brother…. Does he have to be in every episode?

Comment by Adea – December 14, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think Up All Night is very funny. I’m a bit fan of single camera sitcoms, so this announcement is extremely disappointing.

Comment by Alex – January 6, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post