ABC's Scandal, The Neighbors Get Full Seasons

The good news: Scandal received a full season pick-up from ABC Monday.

The… interesting news: The Neighbors did, as well.

Shonda Rhimes‘ sophomore political drama Scandal received an additional nine episodes, bringing it to its first full, 22-epiosde season.

RELATED | New Spoiler Alert!: Debating Polarizing Twists on Good WifeRevengeScandal and More!

And though TVLine viewers weren’t huge fans of The Neighbors‘ premiere — you all gave it an average grade of D — ABC likely responded to the aliens-in-the-suburbs sitcom’s strong debut ratings (9.3 million viewers and a 3.3 rating) and its steady performance in its Wednesday-night timeslot.

1. omabin says:

SCANDAL! so happy about it!

2. How in the hell did The Neighbors get a full season? Does ABC even watch their own shows?

• Joe says:

Do you? It’s such a fun show! The pilot is bad but it’s gotten better as time passes.

• prish says:

The Neighbors has genuine heart. There is something touching about the struggling relationships, even though it should come off as goofy. Kudos to the actors’ work.

• I’m with you. I almost gave up on this show after the pilot, but I stuck around and it keeps getting better as the characters get established. I’m especially a fan of Reggie Jackson.

I also like the fact that I just laughed out lound at the name when I re-read what I just wrote there.

• KC says:

I’ve watched most of a few episodes. It’s mildly amusing, but not that great and it if left the air waves I wouldn’t notice it gone. It does “well” because of its time slot. Put out there on its own, ala Caroline in the City, and watch it tank.

3. Love the Neighbors is quirky and weird. Love aliens as humans.

4. Shari says:

YES! POPUS FTW!

5. Rrrrrr says:

Scandal! Best. News. Ever. I was behind the 12-episode format Shonda said Scandal was going for but honestly Scandal is just so good that it deserve the extra hours.

6. Elyse says:

ew the Neighbors? how?

7. Toms1€ says:

ugh… I don’t know which one is worse

8. CJ says:

….The Neighbors? How? Why? I have so many questions.

9. NCSouthernBelle says:

Yay for The Neighbors! It’s a cute show.

10. I’m happy for Scandal and The Neighbors.

11. leelee says:

Finally my prayers have been answered for a full season of Sandal!!! 😍😃

12. Nabil Mazidi says:

Can someone please explain to me what on earth ABC is thinking by Renewing the Neighbors and Scandal at the same time (let alone renewing The neighbors AT ALL- it’s such a HORRIBLE show) Scandal should NOT be associated with that show EVER! Scandal is WAY too good!

• Mike says:

They get around the same ratings every week, they both seem to get a 2.0 rating every week that’s may be why try we’re renewed at the same time.

• Gem says:

Let’s be clear that they are NOT renewing The Neighbors but are giving it a full season pick up versus, its original, abbreviated episode order for a freshman comedy. It remains to be seen whether the show will be renewed in the spring but I find it highly unlikely although I may over estimate the average TV viewer with this statement.

13. Darth Pablo says:

The Neighbors is an awesome show!!! Love it sooooo much!!!

14. marge says:

YAY Scandal! I didn’t realize that season 2 wasn’t a full season order from the start.
    Neighbors, on the other hand…. eesh.

15. GeoDiva says:

Wahoo for Scandal! It keeps me on the edge of my couch every week!

16. tp says:

I only watched the first few episodes of The Neighbors but it was cute family fun. I still don’t see how it got renewed. Scandal on the other hand…WOOT!

17. Lorie says:

Scandal…WOO HOO!!!

18. Emma says:

Are they trying to distract from the absurdity of extending Neighbors by announcing the extension of Scandal which although different genre is a far superior show?
    Delighted by Scandal’s full pick up!

19. NBC says:

Didn’t Shonda Rimes say she would prefer to do just short seasons (13 eps) of Scandal?

• martina says:

Shonda may want to keep it short, but ultimately is up to the network if they want more episodes or not. It’s all about the money, honey.

• whatever says:

That was her spin when ABC only picked up the first 13 episodes. Now its all, acording to her twitter, “GLADIATORS: I must say that I feel like our getting a back 9 order is ALL BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR SUPPORT! Thank you!!!”, her new spin. Game face on before and now happy dance. Spin it as it comes.

• Keren says:

That’s what I heard too, that 13 episodes gave her the opportunity to tell a tighter story.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I have a feeling she’ll tell her 13 episode story still, and the back 9 will have a different “main” storyline set up at the end of this 13.

20. Jennifer says:

They gave The Neighbors and full season because people are watching it! It has decent rating! I’m happy because I enjoy the show!!

21. Sean says:

do yo guys realize neighbors pulls the same rating and more total viewers than scandal

• JC says:

Do you realize that more people watch TV in the 8:00 hour (when The Neighbors is on) than in the 10:00 hour (when Scandal is on)?

22. So absolutely elated about Scandal. I’m just praying Shonda doesn’t mess it up.

23. Monique says:

So so happy about Scandal! Kerry and the rest of the cast do such a great job!

24. Mike says:

Too bad they will both be cancelled by May, if they can’t sustain above a 2.0 in the Fall, they will inevitably fall to 1.4-7 in the Spring. Good for the fans, I hate the neighbors and Scandal is ok.

25. MGL says:

Love Scandal. Very Happy!

26. Ram510 says:

SCANDAL!!!!!! YEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!! I’m so happy right now!!!!
    As for Neighbors it’ll be this years Better With You, it gets the full season pick up to leter drop in ratings and be a one and done show but with even lower ratings

• cjeffery7 says:

i would 100% agree with neighbors’ likelihood of a second seasons except for the fact that its more family friendly, thus ratings friendly, in a way BWU was not. they might have a SLIGHT chance of renewal. i was so disappointed BWU was cancelled, and poor joanna garcia was forced into animal practice… the whole BWU cast was pretty baller and now are left out in the cold =(

27. fiona says:

The neighbours may not be intellectually great as a show. It’s still a quirky show reminiscent of the 90s lol. And definitely better than reality tv right now (real housewives? jersey shore? now those are ughh)

28. shalomo says:

I actually quite like Neighbors, and I’m quite snobby about tv and about being better than you. The episode where the alien wife became a real housewife was great. And I’m still better than you.

29. clarevoyent says:

Scandal for the win! Hope more folks start watching this underappreciated gem. Fun story, great acting and one of the best romances on TV right now!

30. K says:

I may be in the minority, but I think The Neighbors is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Very happy it got the pick-up. If you have only watched the pilot, watch more. Every episode it gets funnier and the cast is really great.

31. Nick says:

The way to enjoy The Neighbors is to accept that it’s a ridiculous show with a premise that goes beyond silly. And then you kick back, relax and enjoy a raucous 21 minutes of sheer lunacy. I never thought I’d be waiting for more episodes of this show, but dammit, I am!!! So happy it’s been given a full season!

• cjeffery7 says:

right?! it’s so stupid and cliche but it makes me giggle and laugh all the time! prime example of great casting serving a ridiculous premise.

• Sarah says:

Someone made the connection that it reminds them of “Third Rock from the Sun” and I have to say it kind of reminds me of the good old days with Alf when I was growing up!
        I like this little show. The little alien kid dressing up as the next door neighbor for Halloween…Ha!
        This is campy fun and it is good TV for families. ABC used to have TGIF when I was growing up, now they have another night that families can sit down and watch tv together and not feel bad about doing it.

32. Tedi says:

Completely over the moon that Scandal got renewed :D it’s very well deserved

33. Dina says:

I watched The Neighbors by default (is it after The Middle? I honestly can’t remember) when the TV was left on and I actually found it funny. Happy it is getting a full season. Scandal–no comment.

34. Eric says:

Um.. well, I have been watching The Neighbors since the beginning, but it must say: it’s mostly out of habit at this point. It’s okay, and has its moments, but I would have been fine with it being cancelled. I wouldn’t have missed it, but I guess this isn’t terrible news. I hope it continues to get better.

35. Jk says:

The neighbours It’s not rude and crude so people don’t like it.

36. Liam says:

The Halloween episode of The Neighbors actually made me laugh out loud a few times. That is progress!

• leah says:

Jackie dressed up as effie from hunger games cracked me up, but how did she know about the hunger games, I bet they’ve never gone to a movie

37. Yes congrats Scandal, its very well deserved.

38. Ana says:

Incredibly happy about Scandal. It is an extraordinary show and it deserves a full season. The Neighbors is not a masterpiece but quite unexpectedly is good fun. It’s not sophisticated, just silly fun and I quite enjoy it. And I’m a big Jami Gertz fan so, good for them. I think 2.0 is becoming a new normal for ABC.

39. Christina says:

Woohoo!!! I am so excited about Scandal!!! I was worried that it didn’t get a full season pick up. It is in my top five of shows that I watch!

40. cjeffery7 says:

the neighbors is so stupid but i’ll be damned if it doesn’t make me laugh every week. it’s complete lunacy. it’s so bizarre. its NOT intellectual in the slightest. but it’s not negative or dramatic either. the characters are endearing. it’s pure ridiculous fun reminiscent of family sitcoms from the 90s. full house, cosby show, boy meets world, family matters (are we sure steve urkel wasn’t an alien? maybe he was the one who originally scoped out the planet for larry bird and the gang!)

41. Keren says:

I’m so glad for Scandal!! I only started watching this season and it’s going sooo good!! Commendations to the actresses and actors, particularly Kerry Washington, who used social media to promote the show

42. Diz says:

Good for those who watch the Neighbors. I gave it 3 episodes and thought it was horrible.

43. Ranna says:

So happy, amout The Neighbors! Was worried people were not tuning in, due to false, bad hype. It is very funny. If you only tried the first p, delve a few eps further, on hulu.

44. Lana says:

I was hoping Scandal would have 13-15 episode seasons. It moves so fast I would hate for them to have to drag things out for 22 episodes. Hope they can keep up the pace.

45. Jake says:

Yeay for both shows! The Neighbors didn’t start off very well, but it’s a funny show! The Halloweenween (no, not a typo) episode was hi-la-ri-ous! And for Scandal: well done. The scandal is getting juicier and juicier! Love it!

46. fmhvf says:

Add me to the “The Neighbors is fun and I like it” column.

47. Annika says:

I love Scandal but I’m conflicted: I hope they can keep up the pace and quality!

48. Amilah says:

I love the neighbors, there is not much diversity on tv still and I love the color-blind casting. The show is pretty funny and I can’t wait to see where the story goes.

49. Susan says:

Glad to hear that The Neighbors got picked up for more episodes. We didn’t like the pilot, but gave it another shot. It does have heart, as someone mentioned above.

50. leah says:

I love the neighbors. It’s really funny (except for the oldest daughter) I don’t know why everyone is hating on it so much, it’s just a fun, silly show. Everyone wants everything to be so serious.