Anderson Cooper's Talk Show Canceled

Looks like it’s back to hard news — or an unexpected revival of ABC’s The Mole – for Anderson Cooper. Warner Brothers will pull the plug on the silver-haired anchor’s daily talker Anderson at the end of its current second season, according to the New York Times. The show’s final episode is expected to air in summer 2013.

After struggling in the ratings during its first season, Anderson changed its format — adding a rotating roster of cohosts and taping live — for Season 2. Those tweaks were not enough to make the show a hit in an increasingly crowded talk-show field.

“I am very proud of the work that our terrific staff has put into launching and sustaining our show for two seasons,” said Cooper, in a statement. “I am also grateful to Telepictures for giving me the opportunity, and indebted to viewers, who have responded so positively. I look forward to doing more great shows this season, and though I’m sorry we won’t be continuing, I have truly enjoyed it.”

1. TV Gord says:

Not a surprise. It was a two-year deal and he really just limped into this season. Oh well… next?

2. jake says:

Bring back The Mole!

3. Amanda says:

I actually liked his show and thought it was much better then the group of new stuff out this year

4. Chris says:

I’m okay with The Mole coming back, but he needs to take over at Live with Kelly & Michael. Michael is horrible and I think we all know that Anderson would have been hired had he not had his own show in development.

• Pat Graney says:

Agree 100%

• TV Gord says:

I think Michael’s doing a great job!

• LMSO says:

While I agree that Anderson would have been a top contender had he been available, I also agree that Michael Strahan is doing a wonderful job on Live with Kelly and Michael. I’m Team Strahan all the way.

• Kevin says:

This!

My thoughts exactly. It would appear the two front-runners to take over for Regis, Jeff Probst and Anderson, jumped the gun and are now both struggling. Poor timing!

I think Michael is fine, and can be fun at times. I just think Anderson would have brought more weight to the show. But I think Kelly and Michael are doing fine in the ratings, so what do I know.

• TV Gord says:

I’m cynical enough to believe Cooper and Probst were offered their shows so they wouldn’t become Kelly’s co-host. Competing production companies didn’t want that show to become even more of a success than it already is.

• Kim R says:

Could not agree with this more. I can’t watch Live anymore. It is such a bad mix and truly does not work. I can’t believe they did this to a pretty solid morning show. Anderson would be excellent and has a chemistry with Kelly that is genuine, not forced. :)

5. Megan says:

You can’t just make jokes about The Mole coming back…it’s not nice to those of us who really miss it!

6. brandon says:

It’s too bad the timing didn’t work out for him to be Kelly Ripa’s cohost. They basically just turned his show into a bad imitation of Live, except with a Jerry Springer set. The 1st season of the show was much better.

7. Susan^ says:

I quite enjoyed the first half of the first season then things started to feel like they were headed toward the skevy Jerry Springer realm and I watched a lot less. I really don’t like anything about the new live format for season 2. It’s too bad the show didn’t work out because I like Anderson himself.

Don’t think the Jeff Probst show is going to last either. I find the Ambush adventure very uncomfortable to watch and wish they would ditch it. JMO

8. Eric says:

I love my Anderson on a daily basis, he gets to be more himself on his talk show than he does on CNN. I hope the people at over at Live with Kelly see this as a huge opportunity!!! Love you Anderson! I will miss your show!!!

9. frontin says:

I used to love him, but stopped watching when he was biased towards certain guests. Not disappointed really.

10. Lana says:

I enjoyed the show last year, and watched it nearly every day. I do not like the changes they made this year and have pretty much given it up. Sad that it’ll be gone though, it’s smarter than most of the crap on daytime tv.

• BTM says:

I really wanted to like Anderson Live, but it went off the rails pretty quickly. The Honey Boo Boo episode just … No. Sorry, Anderson, but your talk show just wasn’t your best effort.

11. vdofan says:

Live With Michael and Anderson!

12. hopeful says:

best news I’ve heard all day

13. Sean says:

He should have done the show w/ Kelly, they seem to mix well. I don’t enjoy his solo show & I can’t watch her show any longer – just not the right mix of hosts. At least there is plenty of other talk shows to pick from at this point!

14. Mara says:

Anderson should stick to news and serious matters. I cringe when I see him discussing honey boo boo and the lohans.I want to see him in the middle of hurricanes, wars, and talking about political matters.
    Degrading himself down to Kelly/ The View like levels just doesn’t work for Anderson, who is clearly an intellectual.

15. Fan X says:

That’s too bad, I like to have a different Talk-Voice and one that actually makes sense and respects women. That’s both rare. I agree that rotating co-hosts – at least the ones they’ve got thus far – doesn’t work. Some of them just can’t shut up and need to be the center of attention. Or they are dumb and it’s embarrassing.

I’d prefer it to be just Anderson without a co-host. Right now it oftentimes seems so hurried, there’s no time to get into any topic at all. 86 audience questions, too. Give the man some space to create. He’s worth watching.

16. Carole says:

Anderson Cooper is smart, funny, and honest. He doesn’t need co-hosts. His shows are interesting and topical, and I enjoyed both formats. I don’t want to watch TV that is dumb-downed, and so shows like Anderson Live should not be cancelled.