25 Actors We Want Back on TV Right Now

Get More: Photo Gallery

Temperatures may be dropping across the nation, but pilot season is heating up. And that got us thinking about some of our favorite actors and actresses who’ve gone too long without juicy series-regular roles.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Gossip Girl, Private Practice, Last Resort, Broke Girls and More

A few of ‘em have only been MIA for a season or so. Some have been relegated to years of guesting gigs. Others have IMDb pages with less activity than Rick Santorum’s Presidential campaign site. But today, we advocate for an end to their collective dry season. Behold: The 25 Actors We Want Back on TV Right Now!

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Glee, Psych, Fringe, Nikita, Dexter, Grey’s, Once, P’hood and More!

Click through our photo gallery below, then hit the comments to tell us which picks we got right, which ones made you say “Huh?” and who you’d add to this Pilot Season wish list!

Tags:

Comments (387)

• Lauren Ambrose. Yes thank you! Cameron Richardson. Yes thank you! Rachel Griffiths. Yes thank you! Matthew St. Patrick. Yes thank you! Merrin Dungey. Yes thank you! I don’t know if it’s because I watch all of them die on their respective shows, but these people I would LOVE to see back!

I thought I was the only person in the whole wide world who still remembered Cameron Richardson. She was a m a z i n g in Harper’s Island, especially in her and Cal’s death scene. She showed so much promise. Hopefully someone sees this article, and casts Cameron for something!

Lauren Ambrose and Rachel Griffiths, are also amazing!

Comment by MIk – October 29, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait! What about Ryan Devlin? I loved him on Cougartown and Brothers and Sisters!

Comment by Cynthia – October 29, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree for all of them (and so mucho more! Andreap Parker!), especially Nicholas Brendon!!!

Comment by Antoine – October 29, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if you’re thinking andrea parker from “the pretender”… then YES! times infinity.

Comment by keeper – October 29, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the Jay Harrington love?! Better Off Ted was fantastic!!!

Comment by Alyssa – October 29, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This list is missing Paget Brewster. Granted, it hasn’t been that long since she was on TV, but she should be back on screen – sooner rather than later. Otherwise a very good list.

Comment by Calanthe – October 29, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree. I need Paget back on my TV screen every week. I know she wants a comedy, but I’ll take her back any way I can get her.

Comment by EmPress – October 29, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^THIS!!!^

Comment by Tiff – October 30, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree on Tom Welling. I keep hoping that we’ll hear he’s been cast in Once Upon A Time.
    I also miss Jennifer Garner, Sarah Michelle Gellar (already!), Adam Brody, and there’s probably more. I really hope that Bunheads also bringing in a ton of more Gilmore Girls character actors!

Comment by Liz – October 29, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could do without most of them.

Comment by Joe – October 29, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TOM WELLING!!!! Yes

Comment by Barbara Rasch – October 29, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Richard Burgi

Comment by Kat (@starg8r) – October 29, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABSOLUTELY Yes to these 3:

Jason Dohring
    Nicholas Brendon
    Cynthia Nixon

BUT If Jason Dohring came back to TV, I could live without the other 2. Lol. I’m content seeing Nicholas Brendon semi-guest star on Criminal Minds for now.

Comment by Sara – October 29, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Err, Cynthia Nixon is currently on TV. Granted, her role sucks, but she is currently in the miniseries World Without End. Catch it on the Reelz channel.

Comment by HanLin – October 29, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see CoreyReynolds from “The Closer”,really miss him on the screen.

Comment by Denise – October 29, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MISHA BARTON/ THE OC

Comment by Shannon – October 29, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Sarah Michelle Geller back on TV. I don’t think Ringer was given a fair shot.

Comment by Michelle – October 29, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tracie Ellis Ross is on Reed Between the Lines, so she’s sorta back on television.

Comment by lll – October 29, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww Bebe Neuwirth! Would be fun if she guest-starred on Boss lol

Comment by Christine – October 29, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More David Hewlett

Comment by Katy – October 29, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Were is Tom Welling??

He needs to come back!

Comment by Pao – October 29, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GALE HAROLD HOW I MISS BRIAN KINNEY… GALE HAROLD MUST COME BACK TO TV ASAP..

Comment by love tv – October 29, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Opps…..

*Where

Comment by Pao – October 29, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You hit almost all of mine…only one missing is Jorge Garcia (Lost, Alcatraz).

Comment by MaryMc – October 29, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhhh Merrin Dungey is far more popular for her near decade-long recurring stint on The King of Queens, rather than on Alias. Even moreso for Summerland and the one-time guest stint on the PP back-door pilot on Grey’s.

Comment by Anthony – October 29, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A big YES to Nicholas Brendon. Josh Holloway definitely. I agree with whoever said Adam brody. Bebe Neuwirth is awesome. David Hyde Pierce is a definitely too.

Comment by Jennifer – October 29, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Ellie Kemper WAS Sabrina Lloyd. :)
    Seriously, David Hyde Piece is great, but itt would take the right show for him to shine, likewise Bebe N.

There are too many great talents out there…and a lack of decent shows to put them in.

I’d like to see Bonnie Hunt, but her past efforts haven’t been that great (her first two sitcoms were pretty much interchangeable), likewise I’d like to see Dennis Miller as a snarky boss or grumpy neighbor in a show.
    Likewise, I’d like to see more of Cynthia Stevenson.

Comment by JB – October 29, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fred Weller
    Sarah Paulson

Comment by mary harris – October 29, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel Griffiths, Merrin Dungey, Jay Harrington,
    would add Chad Michael Murray & Rose McGowan
    All Together in One Super Mystery Show!

Comment by KennyA – October 29, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alexis Denisof PLLEEEEEASE

Comment by kgt0413 – October 29, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lizzy Caplan, and pretty much everyone on Dead Like Me (I was SO happy to see Jasmine Guy as Bonnie’s grandma on TVD!).

Comment by Babybop – October 29, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicholas Brendan!! YUM!

Comment by Brenda – October 29, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dennis Franz, please……………………and of course, Kyle Chandler

Comment by Apolonia – October 29, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Dohring, Alessandra Torresani, Kyle Chandler

Comment by bobbie – October 29, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Dorhing 100% and also James Masters!!! :-) love them

Comment by Kim – October 29, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Dohring number 1? Wasn’t he in Ringer just earlier this year?

Pretty good list. Nicholas Brendon is sorely missing from TV. Only real omission I can think of is Jonathan Taylor Thomas. I never adored him or anything, but a lot of people did and I’m pretty surprised he wasn’t high up there!

Comment by John – October 29, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And to echo a few above posts, Rose McGowan and James Marsters are missed as well.

Comment by John – October 29, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone from the prematurely cancelled human target and CHAOS.

Comment by Msi – October 29, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Human Target and Lie to Me. I miss both of those shows.

Comment by tp – October 29, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree about both of these programs. Loved them both.

Comment by chistosa – November 6, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicholas Brendan has has a recurring role on Criminal Minds,

Comment by Rissa – October 29, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh—and friggin donal logue-canceling terriers was criminal

Comment by Msi – October 29, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Dohring MUST return to my tv-screen soon! (on a related note, I wouldn’t mind a ‘Veronica Mars’ return ala Arrested Development).
    Would also love Kyle Chandler, David Hyde-Pierce, Cynthia and Nicholas Brendon back on tv, from your list.
    Would also love Jennifer Aniston back on tv. With the right show (preferably a comedy), she could rule the tv-screen yet again.
    I also really miss Zachary Levi, Felicity Huffman, Gregory Smith and Milo Ventimiglia

Comment by Karen – October 29, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Milo Ventimiglia
    Topher Grace
    Jonathan Groff
    Taylor Kitsch
    Kristopher Palaha

Comment by lissab99 – October 29, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Taylor Kitsch was so good in FNLs and The Bang Bang Club. He needs a good show, good role.

Comment by dolphinlights – October 29, 2012 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about James Marsters ?

Comment by mac – October 29, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is James Marsters on this list??

Comment by Isis Nocturne – October 29, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought was Josh Holloway, so I totally agree with that one!

Comment by Katie – October 29, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes to David Hyde Pierce, Bebe Neuwirth, Josh Holloway, and Kyle Chandler. But no love for Linda Cardellini?

Comment by wingster55 – October 29, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeing Michael Goorjian on this list just made me insanely happy. I miss that man.

Comment by cinephilesandra – October 29, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Allison Janney!

Comment by KJS – October 29, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robin Weigert.

She was flippin brilliant on Deadwood and I loved her on Life (still pissed that was canceled) and she needs to be back on my screen.

Put her in a series with Jason Dohring!

Comment by aunt_deen – October 29, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JOSH HOLLOWAY!!!! I need some Sawyer in my life again!!!!!

Comment by stellalunaa – October 29, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Comment by seeingdouble – October 29, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cynthia Nixon recently had a recurring role on The Big C. But I’ll agree–we need to see more of her.

Comment by Holly – October 29, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Colin Ferguson please. I miss him soooo much.

Comment by not my jeep! – October 29, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded! He’s such a wonderful actor, he needs a show NOW.

Comment by Linda F – November 24, 2012 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post