Storm Und Drang: 10 Great TV Weather Events

When TV shows need a quick hit of heightened drama, they tend to call in Mother Nature. But in real life — more specifically, in real life right now on the East Coast, where Hurricane Sandy is headed straight for TVLine’s Times Square offices — storms tend to be more about filling sandbags and boarding up windows and less about dramatic revelations and passionate declarations of love. Sigh.

Anyway, in between stocking up on milk and bread and making sure we had batteries in the flashlight, we compiled a list of our favorite TV meteorological events. Hurricanes, rain deluges, blizzards, tornados — we didn’t discriminate. After all, if you’re stuck in the house all day Monday, you’re going to need something to keep you occupied, no?

So click through the gallery below, then fill the comments with the fictional weather catastrophes that would make your list! Stay safe, everyone!

1. WayneInNYC says:

It hasn’t aired yet, but I hear there’s a Nor’easter headed towards Briarcliff Asylum for the Criminally Insane this week. (American Horror Story: Asylum)

2. Allison says:

The Desperate Housewives tornado was in Season 4.

3. Mindy says:

The 1994 Tornado on “All My Children” was fantastic. I loved every bit of it. It was like a force of nature coming to punish Adam for his transgressions. Loved seeing the Chandler mansion as a total wreck. The story about Tad was wonderful. Sad that Jesse being alive really drains those 1994 scenes of their power. The later AMC tornado was a pale imitation of that classic 1994 one.

• Angela says:

Well said. God, I completely forgot about the tornadoes on the show. Speaking as someone who lives in Tornado Alley, though, I always find it amusing when TV shows (or movies) have episodes where tornadoes hit, because they’re often not entirely accurate with how the storm actually occurs, but eh, that’s a small nitpick on my part. The stories and shows are often still thrilling and interesting, so I usually can overlook it.
      Hope everyone on the East Coast stays safe with the coming storm and everything!

4. what about FRIENDS??? with Paolo and his cat…

• Tine says:

I don’t know if it actually was weather-related, but it was a black-out. And I absolutely loved Chandler being stuck in the ATM vestibule with that model. Matthew Perry is awesome.

• Elizabeth says:

It wasn’t. It was caused by Ira and Jamie on Mad About You (it stretched into every NBC Thursday show). They were trying to steal cable for Jamie and Paul and things just didn’t go as planned.

• Emily says:

“I’m trapped in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre!”

• Babybop says:

Bahahaha. I love that show. “New York City has no power, and the milk is getting sour. But for me it is not scary, ’cause I stay away from dairy…”
      No to mention that “gum is perfection”.

5. Drewer says:

“There Goes the Neighborhood” was so good. And I love how many of these episodes feature someone giving birth. And that season 3 episode of Dawson’s Creek, where the True Love sinks is pretty good. But the best natural disaster episode is the Earth quake episode of The O.C. (not a storm, but still really good).

6. Carrie #2 says:

I must have blocked FNL season 2 out of my head because that’s my favorite show of all time, but I totally don’t remember that episode! Yikes!

• Kathie says:

It was more about the other team having to come to the school due to the storm than about the storm itself. FNL’s scene with Tim/Lyla in the pouring rain was the weather scene I remember most.

• dude says:

The storm was like one scene and then they moved on. It wasn’t really a central plot point.

• spc6620 says:

I, too, love FNL… but I pretty much erased season 2 from my memory.

7. isee says:

I know its been a while and not everyone was a fan, but the Smallville season 1 finale/season 2 premiere with the tornadoes was pretty awesome, not to mention it was the first time Clark Kent sorta kinda “flew”. And also, I guess the season 4 finale meteor shower can also count as some kind of storm, right?

8. Babybop says:

Not to mention the Hurricane episode of How I Met Your Mother, where they dropped the Robin/Barney hookup bomb!

9. Jessie says:

ER – Hell and High Water!!

10. Courtney says:

“Keys” from Season 1 of “The Pretender”. :)

11. pilo says:

I liked the season 1 finale of smallville.

12. madbengalsfan85 says:

Loved “Blackout in the Blizzard”, one of my favorite episodes

13. Sally says:

The OC’s rainy episode of S2 was the best of the series!

14. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Don’t forget the hurricane that went through Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and American Dad that had to be cut and re-aired at a different date due to fears it may come across uncaring towards victims of the tornadoes in the South.

15. ToZiKa says:

What about the Blizzard on HIMYM? That was a pretty important episode.
    Or the storm in Always (Castle)? There is a reason 5×1 was called After The Storm.

16. Jon says:

I loved the blizzard episode on HIMYM and the tornado on the season one finale/season two premiere of Smallville.

17. Gerald says:

Thanks for including Falcon Crest, why didn’t you also include the earthquake episode from S5 though as well? That was such a great cliffhanger and they killed off so many characters.

18. Cruciatus says:

Unfortunately I can’t see the gallery–it might be blocked since I’m at work right now. Does it mention the Roseanne episode where the tornado visits Lanford? I always loved that episode.

19. dude says:

That episode of One Tree Hill is my favourite natural disaster episode ever. Some of the best pacing I’ve ever seen in an episode and one of the all-time best One Tree Hill episodes.

20. Gilda says:

I also quite like all the natural and not-so-natural disasters on Smallville.

21. Chance says:

You left out the season two finale of The West Wing “Two Cathedrals” and the season 3 premiere “Manchester Part 1″…..oh and Smallville!

22. Lily says:

The earthquake episode of the OC. Most people don’t like the final season but I LOVED that episode!

• Annie-C says:

I absolutely love that episode! It’s like my favorite natural disaster episode. I don’t understand why it wasn’t in the list or even mentioned more in the comments. And you know what? Where I live they didn’t ever air the last season even tough it’s so good. A lot of people around me thonk the series ended with Marissa dying just like that, what a bad ending.

23. Edlweiss1 says:

Also love the Quantum Leap hurricane episode!

24. Swift says:

Damages season 5 episode 7, “The Storm’s Moving In.” Patty and Ellen stuck in an airport because of a blizzard. The episode itself wasn’t all that great but then there is an extended scene between the two which is AMAZING.

25. Me34 says:

The episode “Torando!” from United States of Tara was really good. Toni Collette played most of the alters in that episode alone.

26. Carda says:

O.C.’s “The night moves”!! Awesome episode, awesome Bob Seger music, awesome awesomeness!!! :D