Storm Und Drang: 10 Great TV Weather Events

Get More: Lists, Photo Gallery

When TV shows need a quick hit of heightened drama, they tend to call in Mother Nature. But in real life — more specifically, in real life right now on the East Coast, where Hurricane Sandy is headed straight for TVLine’s Times Square offices — storms tend to be more about filling sandbags and boarding up windows and less about dramatic revelations and passionate declarations of love. Sigh.

Anyway, in between stocking up on milk and bread and making sure we had batteries in the flashlight, we compiled a list of our favorite TV meteorological events. Hurricanes, rain deluges, blizzards, tornados — we didn’t discriminate. After all, if you’re stuck in the house all day Monday, you’re going to need something to keep you occupied, no?

So click through the gallery below, then fill the comments with the fictional weather catastrophes that would make your list! Stay safe, everyone!

Comments (47)

• It hasn’t aired yet, but I hear there’s a Nor’easter headed towards Briarcliff Asylum for the Criminally Insane this week. (American Horror Story: Asylum)

Comment by WayneInNYC – October 28, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope the network doesn’t get squeamish and yank the episode.

Comment by Simon Jester – October 29, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Desperate Housewives tornado was in Season 4.

Comment by Allison – October 28, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The 1994 Tornado on “All My Children” was fantastic. I loved every bit of it. It was like a force of nature coming to punish Adam for his transgressions. Loved seeing the Chandler mansion as a total wreck. The story about Tad was wonderful. Sad that Jesse being alive really drains those 1994 scenes of their power. The later AMC tornado was a pale imitation of that classic 1994 one.

Comment by Mindy – October 28, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said. God, I completely forgot about the tornadoes on the show. Speaking as someone who lives in Tornado Alley, though, I always find it amusing when TV shows (or movies) have episodes where tornadoes hit, because they’re often not entirely accurate with how the storm actually occurs, but eh, that’s a small nitpick on my part. The stories and shows are often still thrilling and interesting, so I usually can overlook it.
      Hope everyone on the East Coast stays safe with the coming storm and everything!

Comment by Angela – October 29, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about FRIENDS??? with Paolo and his cat…

Comment by Javiera Herrera (@Javi4Real) – October 28, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know if it actually was weather-related, but it was a black-out. And I absolutely loved Chandler being stuck in the ATM vestibule with that model. Matthew Perry is awesome.

Comment by Tine – October 28, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It wasn’t. It was caused by Ira and Jamie on Mad About You (it stretched into every NBC Thursday show). They were trying to steal cable for Jamie and Paul and things just didn’t go as planned.

Comment by Elizabeth – October 28, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “I’m trapped in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre!”

Comment by Emily – October 28, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bahahaha. I love that show. “New York City has no power, and the milk is getting sour. But for me it is not scary, ’cause I stay away from dairy…”
      No to mention that “gum is perfection”.

Comment by Babybop – October 28, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awesome episode!

Comment by Ayla – October 29, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “There Goes the Neighborhood” was so good. And I love how many of these episodes feature someone giving birth. And that season 3 episode of Dawson’s Creek, where the True Love sinks is pretty good. But the best natural disaster episode is the Earth quake episode of The O.C. (not a storm, but still really good).

Comment by Drewer – October 28, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Season 4 Episode of Dawson. “The Two Gentlemen of Capeside”

Comment by Tom – October 28, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is the one I was thinking of too!! Dawson’s Creek had some good storm episodes!!

Comment by Heather – October 28, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must have blocked FNL season 2 out of my head because that’s my favorite show of all time, but I totally don’t remember that episode! Yikes!

Comment by Carrie #2 – October 28, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was more about the other team having to come to the school due to the storm than about the storm itself. FNL’s scene with Tim/Lyla in the pouring rain was the weather scene I remember most.

Comment by Kathie – October 28, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The storm was like one scene and then they moved on. It wasn’t really a central plot point.

Comment by dude – October 28, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I, too, love FNL… but I pretty much erased season 2 from my memory.

Comment by spc6620 – October 28, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know its been a while and not everyone was a fan, but the Smallville season 1 finale/season 2 premiere with the tornadoes was pretty awesome, not to mention it was the first time Clark Kent sorta kinda “flew”. And also, I guess the season 4 finale meteor shower can also count as some kind of storm, right?

Comment by isee – October 28, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, good ones! How could this list not include the “Smallville” Season 1 finale tornadoes?

Comment by Carrie – October 28, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not to mention the Hurricane episode of How I Met Your Mother, where they dropped the Robin/Barney hookup bomb!

Comment by Babybop – October 28, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ER – Hell and High Water!!

Comment by Jessie – October 28, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh hell yeah! Good call!

Comment by lariet50 – October 28, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely. Should be at the top of the list.

Comment by Matt – October 28, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I’m very shocked that ep didn’t make the list.

Comment by Edlweiss1 – October 29, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Keys” from Season 1 of “The Pretender”. :)

Comment by Courtney – October 28, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the season 1 finale of smallville.

Comment by pilo – October 28, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved “Blackout in the Blizzard”, one of my favorite episodes

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – October 28, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The OC’s rainy episode of S2 was the best of the series!

Comment by Sally – October 28, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t forget the hurricane that went through Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and American Dad that had to be cut and re-aired at a different date due to fears it may come across uncaring towards victims of the tornadoes in the South.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 28, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the Blizzard on HIMYM? That was a pretty important episode.
    Or the storm in Always (Castle)? There is a reason 5×1 was called After The Storm.

Comment by ToZiKa – October 28, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the blizzard episode on HIMYM and the tornado on the season one finale/season two premiere of Smallville.

Comment by Jon – October 28, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for including Falcon Crest, why didn’t you also include the earthquake episode from S5 though as well? That was such a great cliffhanger and they killed off so many characters.

Comment by Gerald – October 28, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfortunately I can’t see the gallery–it might be blocked since I’m at work right now. Does it mention the Roseanne episode where the tornado visits Lanford? I always loved that episode.

Comment by Cruciatus – October 28, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is one of my top 10 Roseanne episodes of all tim

Comment by jason328 – October 28, 2012 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That episode of One Tree Hill is my favourite natural disaster episode ever. Some of the best pacing I’ve ever seen in an episode and one of the all-time best One Tree Hill episodes.

Comment by dude – October 28, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also quite like all the natural and not-so-natural disasters on Smallville.

Comment by Gilda – October 28, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You left out the season two finale of The West Wing “Two Cathedrals” and the season 3 premiere “Manchester Part 1″…..oh and Smallville!

Comment by Chance – October 29, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yeah, “Two Cathedrals” – one of the finest episodes of television, bar none.

Comment by lariet50 – October 29, 2012 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely! I was just scrolling through to see if anyone mentioned that. Two Cathedrals is one of the most beautifully written episodes of tv.

Comment by kjess – October 29, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The earthquake episode of the OC. Most people don’t like the final season but I LOVED that episode!

Comment by Lily – October 29, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely love that episode! It’s like my favorite natural disaster episode. I don’t understand why it wasn’t in the list or even mentioned more in the comments. And you know what? Where I live they didn’t ever air the last season even tough it’s so good. A lot of people around me thonk the series ended with Marissa dying just like that, what a bad ending.

Comment by Annie-C – October 29, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also love the Quantum Leap hurricane episode!

Comment by Edlweiss1 – October 29, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damages season 5 episode 7, “The Storm’s Moving In.” Patty and Ellen stuck in an airport because of a blizzard. The episode itself wasn’t all that great but then there is an extended scene between the two which is AMAZING.

Comment by Swift – October 29, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode “Torando!” from United States of Tara was really good. Toni Collette played most of the alters in that episode alone.

Comment by Me34 – October 29, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • O.C.’s “The night moves”!! Awesome episode, awesome Bob Seger music, awesome awesomeness!!! :D

Comment by Carda – October 30, 2012 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post