First Look: New American Idol Season 12 Promo!

Get More: Previews, Video

It’s almost (but not quite) that time of year, America… and we’ve got something to keep you occupied while you wait for American Idol to start again in January.

RELATED | American Idol Producers Shrug Off Nicki/Mariah Feud, Defend ‘Passionate, Dynamic’ Judges Panel

Press PLAY on the video below to see a new Season 12 promo, complete with inspirational scenes of wannabe stars and glowing shots of judges Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban and Randy Jackson — as well as host Ryan Seacrest.

Then hit the comments with your thoughts about the upcoming season, the two-night premiere of which is slated for Wednesday, January 16, and Thursday, January 17 (Fox, 8/7c).

Comments (30)

• With that panel, the only thing they could do to entice me to watch it is if they limit the voting. I’ve watched every season, and I’m fed up with good singers being cut due to fanatic power texting.

Comment by Templar – October 27, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to say, The Idol’s promos are getting worse every year ><

Comment by Pearl – October 27, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After all, nothing says “American Idol” like running through a wheat field.

Comment by Robert Taylor – October 27, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s the song they used?

Comment by Zed – October 27, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this looks awful

Comment by Toms1€ – October 27, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the only part I liked was Ryan, actually smiled when I heard him say his catchphrase!

Comment by Jane – October 27, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You might want to redefine the definition of First Look.

Comment by JJ – October 27, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I usually like AI but I won’t be watching this season.

Comment by DC – October 27, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll Continue to watch Britney on X Factor and skip Idol all together this year.

Comment by Jared – October 27, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • X Factor > American Idol
      (at least this season)

Comment by Omar – October 27, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Idol is next year, ma’am/sir.

Comment by Clau – October 27, 2012 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Next year, but this season.

Comment by Aljosa – October 28, 2012 02:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh god! Randy Jackson again? Ugh!

Comment by Omar – October 27, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keith Urban. That is all.

Comment by karenb – October 27, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get ready for another predictable singer to win. Stop watching and don’t plan to watch again. I will be surprised if a girl ever wins this show again.

Comment by Allyson – October 27, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they going to overlap X Factor & Idol? Idol starts in mid-January, which is only 10 weeks away. X Factor still have 16 contestants left and only 10 weeks – two of which overlap Xmas and New Year, traditionally a time when no new programming is shown? They’ll have to drop at least 2 singers a week.

Comment by Rock Golf – October 27, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ll end before Christmas. They drop from 16 to 12 on the first live show, and there will be some double elimination weeks just like last year.

Comment by Tim – October 27, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With 10 contestants left, and the finals being on 12/19 and 12/20, I think they will eliminate 2 per show until 12/6. Then on 12/13 they wil either have a single eimination sand go into the finale with 3 contestants like last season, or they will switch it upand eliminate 2, leaving only 2 for the finale.

Comment by Peggy – November 16, 2012 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody currs American Idol – It obviously isn’t about the contestants or talent anymore ~ all about over priced judges and their drama and one judge that has over extended his stay a few seasons too many, and they could’ve had Adam Lambert! Mistake…really big mistake!! I’ve washed my hands of Idol.

Comment by Baubles – October 27, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the people who comment here are really negative, no?

Comment by Clau – October 27, 2012 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually quite liked this promo. It’s well done and it focuses on the hopefuls, and not on the famous people trying to upgrade their careers.

Comment by Felipe – October 28, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not watching this year. I cannot stand another season of Randy Jackson’s drivel. And, I will not watch Nicki Minaj. When they hired Minaj, and brought back Jackson, that was it for me. It’s obvious they’re catering to the teen audience and the brain-dead, and I am neither.

Comment by R Bilyou – October 28, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have 4 teens and not only are they not interested in Nicki Minaj, they and their friends aren’t interested in Idol. At all.

Comment by Tara – October 28, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awwww … Look at little pig faced Mariah

Comment by Sean – October 28, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really love the promo! What song is used in it?

Comment by Scott – October 28, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s Chances by Five For Fighting.

Comment by Templar – October 28, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I expected to see past contestants. Especially with 3 new judges it makes sense to advertise the show by showing clips from memorable moments from the series.

Comment by teatime – October 29, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is just the first promo. It figures they would show the judges and Ryan. I expect more promos featuring former Idol winners in promos to come. I just don’t get the scenes with random hopefuls and the fields.

Comment by Peggy – November 16, 2012 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no sound to accompany the video.This sucks!

Comment by torry – October 31, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We have watch American idol from the start but this season we can’t take Nicki Minaj another day she just can;t shut up.

Comment by Karen Davis – January 23, 2013 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post