Did Mockingbird Lane Scare Up Your Interest?

Now that you’ve trick-or-treated on Mockingbird Lane, would you consider a longer visit?

NBC’s long-time-in-the-works Munsters reboot aired Friday night as a standalone Halloween special instead of as the series pilot it was intended to be. And we want to know what you thought: Was it scary good or frightfully bad?

First, a brief recap: Pushing DaisiesBryan Fuller was behind the hour-long drama, which introduced us to a modernized Munster family: Herman (The DefendersJerry O’Connell) and his wife Lily (Arrested Development‘s Portia de Rossi), their son Eddie (Spy Kids: All The Time in the World 4D‘s Mason Cook), cousin Marilyn (British actress Charity Wakefield) and Grandpa (The Riches‘ Eddie Izzard).

Mockingbird sure looked spiffy – we particularly liked Grandpa forming himself out of a swarm of rats and Lily’s smoky way of getting around – but we’re not sure that the ’60s-era comedy translates well to a 2012 drama. After all, part of the campy fun of the original was its schlock factor.

Enough about what we thought. NBC, Fuller and director Bryan Singer (X-Men) reportedly had different expectations for the project – but depending on how viewers respond, there’s a chance the network will move forward with the series. So grade Mockingbird Lane via the poll below, then hit the comments: Would you tune in to the new Munster family every week?

1. Kristopher says:

I almost didn’t DVR it but am glad I did. I really enjoyed it… I thought the look of the show was amazing. Gave me flashbacks to Pushing Daisies. Hope NBC gets smart and decides to pick this up.

2. Tone LG says:

It’s to the original series what Parenthood is to the much different-yet-similar Ron Howard film. I would absolutely be tuning in weekly if they gave us more!

3. Stacie says:

I think it might have been interesting to see this show as a half hour comedy. I think the actors were good in their parts, but I think that they should have done like what the “Brady Bunch Movie” was about. Take a 60s show and place the cast in present time but they themselves are still back in the 60s thinking. I think that would have been a funny concept. Obviously this show wasn’t gonna be a super serious drama, but I think it might have been cool as a full on comedy. I think Portia DeRossi and Jerry O’Connell are good enough actors that might have been able to handle it. They both haven’t had hits in a really long time, so it’s too bad it looks like this way won’t work out for them either.

4. I loved it. I think it has a ton potential to be a very entertaining show.

5. Mark says:

I knew it was going to be more of a dark-comedy/drama, and it wasn’t exactly what I expected, but I really enjoyed it. The only con I have is making Herman more “normal” looking but that’s a minor issue. I wish NBC would reconsider bringing it to series. With their (NBC’s) ratings share they ought to stick with something good like this show.

6. Heather Hall says:

This blew away all of my expectations! Eddie Izzard is a longtime favorite, regardless, and was amazing tonight! I also always enjoy Jerry O’Connell and Portia de Rossi. And did anyone else catch the cameo by John Kassir as the blood slave neighbor? :D (The crypt keeper voice and also on Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical.) The effects were fantastic, the sets beautiful, I just loved everything about it! Please please please make this a full blown series!!!!!!!!!!

7. Temperence says:

I was surprised, but I loved it. Seriously. It was gorgeous to watch, and pretty fun. Like most pilots, the tone wasn’t completely there yet, but it was clearly going to work. The really aggrevating thing was that my local TV affiliate didn’t air it! I had to go hunting. Grrrr.

8. ady says:

What a puke of a show. Seriously, are you Americans that dumb? Do you gobble every piece of crap an unimaginative hack puts on your TV? But, hey, Revolution is also a hit, right?

• Mimi says:

This show isn’t bad, Animal Practice was a REALLY BAD show. MBL was funny, a little dark and with amazing actors. It’s your opinion, and I respect it, but for me this is the only pilot I liked so far this season….

• VAL says:

I AGREE ! Even the premise ( moving into a house where murdered homeless people were found ‘in the walls’) … Why set us up to compare this ghastly remake to the quirkiness and humor of the original Munsters? Even fake graphic violence makes people less sympathetic to real suffering. Clinical closeups of organs – entertainment? Aside from being weird and in poor taste (if that concept has any meaning any more…) it was not good theatre.

9. Melody Paris says:

I enjoyed it and I’d check out more.

10. Pocki says:

I absolutely loved it. I haven’t seen the original Munsters (I know, shame on me), so went into it with an open mind and was very very pleased with what was shown to me. But I doubt much could’ve failed in my eyes with both Eddie Izzard and Portia di Rossi in it. So yeah, loved it, would definitely watch it every week. It’s something different from the rest on tv right now, and it is great fun.

11. zoot says:

I know I am in the minority but I thought it was dumb. I can’t imagine that people would actually tune in week after week to watch this. To say you “loved it”? Nah … I think running it once was enough. I don’t think it would have a regular audience. Just my opinion.

12. Me says:

So good. I actually think it was a great pilot. Better than a lot I can think of. I could watch this show, probably forever.

13. Amanda says:

I love the idea and Fuller can do no wrong. I really wanted more from de Rossi and O’Connell. They are both awesome and I felt we didn’t really get to see all they could do with these characters.

14. Cassy says:

It was lovely! I like a bit of escapism once in a while and this fit the bill. If it were picked up I would watch it without a doubt. I’ts nice to have something a bit kooky and fun in the midst of all these procedurals, dramas and reality shows. More please!

15. Tyler says:

I loved it! I hope it gets picked up as a series.

16. Gabe G. says:

I WANT TO SEE MORE!!!!! Love the reboot!!! I hope NBC will pick up the show!!!!

17. mike melt says:

it was ok. i laughed a few times. the ongoing baby bear attack joke was funny. i say give it a chance.

18. Sarahthebaker says:

IMO, I think the cost of producing such a visually amazing show is what NBC’s balking at. Remember Terra Nova? Too expensive for the returns. Of course, I say chop your bottom 2 shows to pay for Mockingbird. The pilot/special I saw was worth every penny. We’ll have to wait and see.

• Lucy says:

I think MBL would have better ratings than Terra Nova ( not that TN wasn’t good) so maybe they get picked up as a series.

19. ncmacasl says:

So hilarious and original (even thought it was loosely derived from the old sitcom). NBC really needs to find room on its schedule for this hilarious “dramedy” — I laughted harder than have have for many sitcoms!!

20. Evan says:

I loved it. Hope NBC decides to do more. Hopefully the ratings (Live and DVR) turn out to be huge.

21. Ace says:

I loved Pushing Daisies and have no real sentimental attachment to the original Munsters show, so I decided to give Mockingbird Lane a shot. I liked it. I particularly enjoyed Jerry O’Connell’s characterization of Herman and the oh-so-Bryan-Fuller look and feel of the show. I’d like to see where they could take this thing.

22. Quinn Mallory says:

Definitely deserve to be a miniseries imho. Not sure how it would work as a regular series, but as a miniseries, it could be pretty good. Too bad it likely won’t happen.

• Steph says:

I agree that it should be a miniseries, or at least have shortened seasons. TV shows only falter when they drag out a story for 24 episodes. It would give us something to look forward to.

23. robinepowell says:

I PVR’d it, only to find Global had taken over NBC and put Hell’s Kitchen on in its place. So now, I missed out on the pilot, thank you very much Global.

24. kevin says:

i liked it. one of the better pilots i’ve seen. quite different than the original series but good.

25. Laney Cornell says:

Totally impressed. It was nice to be pleasantly surprised by the way the pilot unfolded.

26. TC says:

I thought it sucked. Very depressing… I watched the whole episode hoping something would happen to change my mind. I can understand why it wasn’t given a green light.

27. John says:

I loved Eddie Izzard, even though he is nothing like the original Grandpa. Still amazing and just like Pushing Daisies, visually gorgeous

28. Jinjeon says:

It was absolutely fabulous. I want more episodes. Please, NBC, pick it up to series.

29. Let’s put it this way, it’s the first thing I’ve watched on NBC since they canceled Harry’s Law. It was a decent script, the special fx were well done, I preferred it over The Munsters, and would love the opportunity to see it be given the opportunity to develop.

30. Polly says:

really promising!
    hope that NBC doesn’t screw this up.

31. Amber says:

I watched on hulu, after hearing about how great it was from my cousin. We watched the original when we were kids and felt that this was a great update to the show’s look without disrespecting the original. I really enjoyed watching it and appreciated the darker humour (LOVE “grandpa”!) immensely! I sure hope something turns things around and the show gets picked up by ANY TV Network!

32. Dave Fulton says:

NBC please make more. I’d actually watch this show and not much else on your network

33. Draven says:

liked it needs a few tweeks but was good

34. Liz says:

I clicked on it on Hulu this morning because it was the first I’d heard of it and I was excited. Jerry O’Connell and Munsters! Yay!

But no, it was awful. It had a few good moments, but it was far too gross and definitely too scary for the kids (yes, I do know my kids very well and they’d be terrified. And I watched it with my oldest who is 11 and she didn’t like it either.) What’s the point of having a Munsters reboot if it is going to be too disgusting and disturbing to watch with the children?

I watched the whole thing too. All that time wasted….

35. Eleni says:

I loved the pilot and I am sure I will get hooked to it once NBC picks it up. It will be awesome and I am looking forward to the new episodes :)

36. Kevin & Karl says:

I think this show worked really well. I’m glad they decide to finally air it been wanting to see it ever since I heard they were doing it. A huge well done to the cast and crew ,they did a marvellous job, so kudos to all the team invovled for working hard. Here’s hoping the network takes notice and orders it to series and finally we’ll have another good show on tv rather than the pointless reality garbage all the networks seem to think the audience wants. Speaking for myself tv nowadays it’s just plain awful..

37. A.R.Hutchings says:

I think they should have Grimm lead it in that way it will pick up the Grimm viewers

38. Amanda s says:

Definitely liked it… Great casting and beautiful set. There aren’t any other shows that quite fit this right now… I hope they go forward with it!

39. Steph says:

I really loved it! It had the Bryan Fuller feeling to it: quirky (not obnoxiously so), funny, and slightly morbid and dark. Plus the visuals of the whole thing were fantastic, like the fantastical reality we come to expect from Bryan Fuller. The highlights for me were Grandpa and Marilyn; every time they came onscreen they made me laugh and they had a great dynamic with a lot of potential for character development. Herman is earnest and has a lot of heart (pun not intended), and was it just me or was Jerry O’Connell looking super fine, even in those dorky clothes? ;)

I loved it and I really hope NBC gets it together and gives it another shot! I would say a 10-12 episode season would really benefit it; an event to look forward to and an even easier form to write for to get quality.

NBC, bring it on!!!

40. Danielle H. says:

Please pick this up, NBC! It was rather good!

41. Sheldon W. says:

Mockingbird Lane was good – not great – and distinctive in the way that Bryan Fuller’s shows tend to be distinctive. Although the show’s humour was great, there was far too little of it and the horror seemed both overdone and undercooked.

I expect that if the show had gone to series (the ratings for it as a Halloween special were good, but probably not good enough for NBC to pick it up) the various elements of humor, horror and melodrama would have found their balance, but I don’t think director Bryan Singer really knew what to do with Fuller’s script (a definite disappointment).

Eddie Izzard did stand out as Grandpa (“You can call me D”), and Jerry O’Connell made a sympathetic Herman. Portia de Rossi was suitably imperious as Lily and Charity Wakefiel was adequate as Marilyn, but Mason Cook was oddly charisma free as Eddie.

I’d have given Mockingbird Lane a B- and given it two more eps to impress me, had it gone to series. As a standalone entity, the pilot has me vacillating between that B- and a C+ – but I’m hoping that NBC picks it up so we can see if it can live up to the vast potential that’s somewhat buried in the pilot.

42. Dee says:

Great visually. It really wasn’t what I was expecting at all. Never came close to even one chuckle though. I think this would be one of those cult shows that had many die-hard fans on the internet but a fairly weak showing in the ratings overall.

43. DG Wiggins says:

My wife and I watched Mockingbird lane, and really liked it. So I wanted to record the series. The only other NBC series we dvr is Chicago Fire. I was really pissed to not find more episodes of it. But, they still air tea voice, and guys with kids. I think Anthony Anderson is a funny guy, but that show is terrible.

44. Babybop says:

Bryan Fuller is a genius. I now need to rewatch Dead Like Me and Pushing Daises…

45. Alex says:

I thought Bryan Fuller and Singer did a great job with this! I wasn’t expecting the original by any means, camp played in 64-66, not 12, but initally winced to hear it was a drama. I now realize it’s a drama in the same way that Beverly Hills Cop was, 1st draft(s) are serious and then develop the humor from the situations. A bit dark, well worth it and approriately rated MA-14, but that was a very smart move for an “update”, after all even Batman cartoons are darker now than the 60’s show was. I would watch this in a heartbeat if NBC took it to series, but alas, the peacock has been making stupid moves for years now, (Conan anyone?), so I won’t hold my breath

46. A says:

That was a great episode I want more please.

47. CYNTHIA DRAN says:

I would watch ‘Mocking Bird Lane’ every week, it’s such a fun show, NBC should have it as a regular series!! They should give Bryan Fuller and the whole cast more time with the Munsters!! Jerry O’Connell is soo funny and alot of fun as Herman, I would like to see him do more of that character, and how Herman gets through in life, trying to be a regular human being!!

48. jasmine says:

I loved it! Can’t wait to see more. A fresh new show. All were good but Eddie Izzard shines. Dying to know more about Marilyn…is she normal or secretly a seriel killer. PLEASE PICK THIS UP!!!!!!!!

49. Dominic says:

I watched this with my brother and cousins we all loved it! I really hope this becomes a tv series!

50. Catherine Echevarria says:

At first I wasnt so sure but, after the first 10 minutes, I loved it! Its different than what we have on air right now with most shows and could almost be a family friendly show just like The Munsters! I was not born during the time of the Munsters but my mom and I loved to watch it together when I was young and this shows brings back great memories! I hope NBC makes its a series!