TVLine's Performer of the Week: Amy Poehler

Amy Poehler Parks and RecreationA new feature in which we spotlight the past week’s shining star

THE PERFORMER | Amy Poehler

THE SHOW | Parks and Recreation (NBC)

THE EPISODE | “Halloween Surprise”

THE AIRDATE | October 26, 2012

THE PERFORMANCE In the middle of Ben’s proposal, Leslie stopped him. Not because she was going to say no (God, no!). Not because she was shocked (although she was). But because, as she put it, she needed a minute “to remember every little thing about how perfect my life is right now, at this exact moment.”

We were grateful for that moment, too, because it allowed us to appreciate Poehler’s performance and how perfect every little thing about it was, not just right then but, frankly, most of the time. It’s no small feat to make a viewer laugh and cry at the same time (much less laugh while you’re crying!), but she pulled it off in this scene with the same sweet openness that has made Leslie such an embraceable heroine. For that, this week, she gets our vote.

Press PLAY below to experience (or re-experience) the magical moment. And then hit the comments and tell us whose performance knocked your socks off this past week.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Performer of the Week

1. This was SO out of the blue and it literally made my day. My face didn’t know what emotion to show because it was going back and forth between laughing and wanting to cry. It was pretty awesome. And unforgettable. :D

2. Rachel says:

this clip is on rewatch on my computer. this was the most honest, real heartfelt acting I have seen on TV this season. Amy Poehler for allllll the awards!

3. Mikaylah says:

Such a sweet moment! This proposal was completely adorable.

4. marge says:

Amy Poehler is a national treasure and this was such a great scene for many many reason. If this woman get’s passed over for an Emmy next year…

5. Sara says:

Amy and Adam were both fantastic in that scene. I loved it.

6. Hester says:

This was magical! Leslie (and Amy) is my lady hero! So happy that’s she’s so happy.

7. noa says:

Amy Poehler deserves more than a week!! she’s the best PERSON of all time! (too much?! but my love for knows no bounds…) but yes, that scene was incredible. she never fails to amaze me. hope you’re all aware of the Smart Girls At The Party youtube channel. you should especially check out “Ask Amy”.

8. TVLineFan says:

GIVE AMY AN EMMY!! She is the heart and soul of this wonderful show! She deserves all the accolades.

9. Sarah says:

I loved it so much. It really was out of nowhere. It was perfect. I love Amy and Adam together.

10. Line says:

it was fantastic…how she never won an emmy for her work is a tragedy, she’s so great. And this episode made me cry!!

11. Audrey E. says:

Isn’t kind of a knock to pick a Performer of the Week before the week’s even over? No consideration for our Friday shows (i.e. Grimm & Nikita)?

• Josh says:

Not if they’re doing it on a Thursday to Thursday basis, meaning Nikita( a show I love) has it’s chance too. Plus I doubt anyone on Grimm could match Amy’s performance her and again while I love Nikita to death, I think it would take a real powerhouse moment to take this honor away from Amy.

12. heather_kaye says:

I think that we can go ahead and shut this feature down: Amy for the win, and Leslie + Ben FOREVER.

13. Rebecca says:

Amazing performance. One of the best proposals I have ever seen on TV, and not only because of the great acting, but also because the proposal was perfect for the two character. Will be watchng on repeat

• cjeffery7 says:

yes! a proposal that was beautiful not because of some over the top tv gimmick, but because of pure and simple acting. *swoon*

• Paul Thomas says:

I thought the exact same thing – so perfect for the characters. I googled “parks & recreation marriage proposal so perfect” and found this page. Glad I wasn’t alone in my thoughts!

14. KND says:

It could not have been a more perfect moment. Amy wins for life in my opinion. Ben and Leslie (Amy and Adam) are pure magic together.

15. rachelle says:

just finished watching this. i cried!!! Ben’s proposal and Leslie’s reaction were so perfect, beautiful, and unexpected!!! it so well acted, it looked genuine. just amazing performances overall. omg, i felt all the emotions! Ben and Leslie are just perfect. i LOVE this show!!

16. LOL says:

Probably one of the best TV moments of the year. I hope folks remember it when the TV season ends in May. How does this show not have any Emmys yet?

17. Pepper says:

I couldn’t have said it better, MA. It was an award-winning performance!

18. Linda says:

Amy is better than all of us. Emmys in the future? Because people need to understand how great it is, and how Modern Family is robbing them year after year.

19. cjeffery7 says:

i wonder if they improved that little line at the end, or if the writers are just that genius. either way, best scene ever!

20. Pamela says:

Oy! I’m laughing, smiling, crying – all at the same time! BEST PROPOSAL EVER!!!

21. Chris says:

Amy Poehler is a fantastic actress, and she deserves much more acclaim than she gets. She deserves ALL the awards.

22. Alice says:

That scene made me so happy. I was all ready for the usual sitcom proposal tropes- the planning, it goes awry, all of it. So happy that wasn’t what happened.

This was so sincere, and so honest, so sentimental- pure Knope. It was perfect. Adam was perfect too. The tone of his voice had me already starting to cry.

23. Denise says:

This is just :’) CREYING!!! STILL CREYING!!! :’)

24. Sarah says:

I loved, loved the proposal! It was absolutely perfect!! Reminds me why this is my favorite show!

25. vane says:

If this doesn’t get her the emmy idk what will!

26. Josh says:

Amy is perfection. I wish she received the credit she deserves.

27. Abe says:

I think what made me smile was that it was unexpected. I saw no ads that showed it and after his speech to that Florida politician, I thought Ben was going to stay.

28. Samantha says:

Flaw-free. I love this show so much.

29. Tomás Abecasis says:

Amy Poehler is the best comedy actress ever, she NEEDS TO WIN the Emmy next year, she should have won it this year………..
    My top person i would love to meet!

30. sara says:

Amy is pure awesomeness.

31. Jared says:

It was absolute perfection!

32. Michelle says:

They were both amazing in that scene! Also people who gave up on this show in season 1 or have never seen it are really missing out.

33. Amy says:

Love, love, loved it. I cheered. I cried. I laughed. I cried some more. Leslie and Ben are awesomesauce. So are Amy Poehler and Adam Scott.

34. Best moment in TV history. I cried while laughing all through the scene. Amy Poelher deserves an Emmy! She killed it in that scene. It was so heart-warming and beautiful!
    I am glad that this amazing actress and scene is getting some recognition ! May Parks and Rec live for many more seasons!!

35. Line says:

this screams for an emmy nominain AND win!

36. Emily says:

I’ve must have watched that clip like a zillion times, so so perfect, like the proposal actually completly suited the couple, and it was so perfect, I was both crying and laughing

37. Sara Wagganer says:

Love this show and such a great moment!

38. Paul Thomas says: