TVLine's Performer of the Week: Amy Poehler

Amy Poehler Parks and RecreationA new feature in which we spotlight the past week’s shining star

THE PERFORMER | Amy Poehler

THE SHOW | Parks and Recreation (NBC)

THE EPISODE | “Halloween Surprise”

THE AIRDATE | October 26, 2012

THE PERFORMANCE In the middle of Ben’s proposal, Leslie stopped him. Not because she was going to say no (God, no!). Not because she was shocked (although she was). But because, as she put it, she needed a minute “to remember every little thing about how perfect my life is right now, at this exact moment.”

We were grateful for that moment, too, because it allowed us to appreciate Poehler’s performance and how perfect every little thing about it was, not just right then but, frankly, most of the time. It’s no small feat to make a viewer laugh and cry at the same time (much less laugh while you’re crying!), but she pulled it off in this scene with the same sweet openness that has made Leslie such an embraceable heroine. For that, this week, she gets our vote.

Press PLAY below to experience (or re-experience) the magical moment. And then hit the comments and tell us whose performance knocked your socks off this past week.

Comments (45)

• This was SO out of the blue and it literally made my day. My face didn’t know what emotion to show because it was going back and forth between laughing and wanting to cry. It was pretty awesome. And unforgettable. :D

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – October 26, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this clip is on rewatch on my computer. this was the most honest, real heartfelt acting I have seen on TV this season. Amy Poehler for allllll the awards!

Comment by Rachel – October 26, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a sweet moment! This proposal was completely adorable.

Comment by Mikaylah – October 26, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler is a national treasure and this was such a great scene for many many reason. If this woman get’s passed over for an Emmy next year…

Comment by marge – October 26, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy and Adam were both fantastic in that scene. I loved it.

Comment by Sara – October 26, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was magical! Leslie (and Amy) is my lady hero! So happy that’s she’s so happy.

Comment by Hester – October 26, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler deserves more than a week!! she’s the best PERSON of all time! (too much?! but my love for knows no bounds…) but yes, that scene was incredible. she never fails to amaze me. hope you’re all aware of the Smart Girls At The Party youtube channel. you should especially check out “Ask Amy”.

Comment by noa – October 26, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i do and my life is better for it! smarts girls have more fun!

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 26, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Ask Amy!

Comment by Ari – October 26, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Ask Amy, Bodies” made me cry almost as much as last night’s episode did.

Comment by Valerie – October 26, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GIVE AMY AN EMMY!! She is the heart and soul of this wonderful show! She deserves all the accolades.

Comment by TVLineFan – October 26, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it so much. It really was out of nowhere. It was perfect. I love Amy and Adam together.

Comment by Sarah – October 26, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was fantastic…how she never won an emmy for her work is a tragedy, she’s so great. And this episode made me cry!!

Comment by Line – October 26, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t kind of a knock to pick a Performer of the Week before the week’s even over? No consideration for our Friday shows (i.e. Grimm & Nikita)?

Comment by Audrey E. – October 26, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not if they’re doing it on a Thursday to Thursday basis, meaning Nikita( a show I love) has it’s chance too. Plus I doubt anyone on Grimm could match Amy’s performance her and again while I love Nikita to death, I think it would take a real powerhouse moment to take this honor away from Amy.

Comment by Josh – October 26, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that we can go ahead and shut this feature down: Amy for the win, and Leslie + Ben FOREVER.

Comment by heather_kaye – October 26, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing performance. One of the best proposals I have ever seen on TV, and not only because of the great acting, but also because the proposal was perfect for the two character. Will be watchng on repeat

Comment by Rebecca – October 26, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes! a proposal that was beautiful not because of some over the top tv gimmick, but because of pure and simple acting. *swoon*

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 26, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the exact same thing – so perfect for the characters. I googled “parks & recreation marriage proposal so perfect” and found this page. Glad I wasn’t alone in my thoughts!

Comment by Paul Thomas – October 30, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could not have been a more perfect moment. Amy wins for life in my opinion. Ben and Leslie (Amy and Adam) are pure magic together.

Comment by KND – October 26, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just finished watching this. i cried!!! Ben’s proposal and Leslie’s reaction were so perfect, beautiful, and unexpected!!! it so well acted, it looked genuine. just amazing performances overall. omg, i felt all the emotions! Ben and Leslie are just perfect. i LOVE this show!!

Comment by rachelle – October 26, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Probably one of the best TV moments of the year. I hope folks remember it when the TV season ends in May. How does this show not have any Emmys yet?

Comment by LOL – October 26, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t have said it better, MA. It was an award-winning performance!

Comment by Pepper – October 26, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy is better than all of us. Emmys in the future? Because people need to understand how great it is, and how Modern Family is robbing them year after year.

Comment by Linda – October 26, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wonder if they improved that little line at the end, or if the writers are just that genius. either way, best scene ever!

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 26, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oy! I’m laughing, smiling, crying – all at the same time! BEST PROPOSAL EVER!!!

Comment by Pamela – October 26, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler is a fantastic actress, and she deserves much more acclaim than she gets. She deserves ALL the awards.

Comment by Chris – October 26, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That scene made me so happy. I was all ready for the usual sitcom proposal tropes- the planning, it goes awry, all of it. So happy that wasn’t what happened.

This was so sincere, and so honest, so sentimental- pure Knope. It was perfect. Adam was perfect too. The tone of his voice had me already starting to cry.

Comment by Alice – October 26, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is just :’) CREYING!!! STILL CREYING!!! :’)

Comment by Denise – October 26, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved, loved the proposal! It was absolutely perfect!! Reminds me why this is my favorite show!

Comment by Sarah – October 26, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this doesn’t get her the emmy idk what will!

Comment by vane – October 26, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy is perfection. I wish she received the credit she deserves.

Comment by Josh – October 26, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think what made me smile was that it was unexpected. I saw no ads that showed it and after his speech to that Florida politician, I thought Ben was going to stay.

Comment by Abe – October 26, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Flaw-free. I love this show so much.

Comment by Samantha – October 26, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler is the best comedy actress ever, she NEEDS TO WIN the Emmy next year, she should have won it this year………..
    My top person i would love to meet!

Comment by Tomás Abecasis – October 26, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy is pure awesomeness.

Comment by sara – October 26, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was absolute perfection!

Comment by Jared – October 26, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They were both amazing in that scene! Also people who gave up on this show in season 1 or have never seen it are really missing out.

Comment by Michelle – October 26, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, loved it. I cheered. I cried. I laughed. I cried some more. Leslie and Ben are awesomesauce. So are Amy Poehler and Adam Scott.

Comment by Amy – October 26, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best moment in TV history. I cried while laughing all through the scene. Amy Poelher deserves an Emmy! She killed it in that scene. It was so heart-warming and beautiful!
    I am glad that this amazing actress and scene is getting some recognition ! May Parks and Rec live for many more seasons!!

Comment by Hilla Osovsky – October 27, 2012 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this screams for an emmy nominain AND win!

Comment by Line – October 27, 2012 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve must have watched that clip like a zillion times, so so perfect, like the proposal actually completly suited the couple, and it was so perfect, I was both crying and laughing

Comment by Emily – October 27, 2012 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show and such a great moment!

Comment by Sara Wagganer – October 27, 2012 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post