Nikita's Lyndsy Fonseca on Alex's Relapse Woes, 'Salex' Love and - Possible Romance With Owen?

Nikita Season 3 SpoilersWhether you know her as Division mainstay Alex or Russian socialite Alexandra Udinov, one thing is certain: Life dealt a difficult hand to Lyndsy Fonseca‘s Nikita alter ego. And to hear the actress tell it, things aren’t going to get any easier — at least not during the first half of the CW saga’s current third season.

Here, Fonseca chats with TVLine about this week’s installment, which showcases the calm before Alex’s impending storm. She also reveals the twist ahead that drives the once drug-addled agent to relapse, the truth about what’s really going on between ‘Salex’ and more.

TVLINE | Talk a little about this week’s episode, “Innocence,” and why this case — which centers on a young girl abducted and forced into a Division lifestyle — means so much to Alex.
Initially, Alex is hesitant to deal with this. It’s so close to her own life, so she wants to handle the parents, not the kid. And what ends up happening is that she really connects with the mother in a way that reminds her of her own mother, because [neither woman knows that her child] is alive and out there in the world. There’s some sort of closure that Alex has through being able to bring this little girl back to her mother. There’s so much similarity with this girl between both Alex and Nikita; it’s really cool.

RELATED | Nikita First Look: Owen and Amanda Return!

TVLINE | It also sets the scene for a very sweet moment between Nikita and Alex.
You know, what I really loved about that scene is the ending. I love that Nikita ends up letting Alex bring the little girl to her parents. It’s a really big deal because Alex never knew her mom was alive. This is such a meaningful thing to do, and a gift that Nikita gives her.

TVLINE | Recent episodic photos show Alex rocking an arm brace. What can you reveal about her impending injury?
Alex is, in an attempt to [push] Nikita out of the way, going to end up getting shot in the shoulder. The injury itself ends up being a bigger deal throughout the beginning of the season because the only thing keeping her going is the fact that she’s got this purpose in life; she’s with her “family,” they’re trying to clean up Division and they’re fighting for good and taking down evil. And when she’s injured, she can’t go out in the field. It forces her to stop and sit and wonder why she feels so anxious, why she feels like she can’t just be. Most people would be stoked to sit and chill out, watch Netflix all day. [Laughs] But that’s not how she survives. It’s going to end up with Alex [battling] her addiction again and bringing up a lot of the things that she’d thought she dealt with before.

TVLINE | That must be the “darker path” ahead for Alex that Craig Silverstein recently told us about.
What’s important for Alex and what the writers have done, which is great, is that… you can be clean, but you’re still an addict. That idea was always very important to me, because I didn’t want her to be on the street doing drugs and then saved and all better. No, if she has one glass of wine, she’s f–ed. So, there’s this bullet wound and the pain and the fact that she can’t get out there in the field; all she wants to do is get better. At first she thinks she’ll just take a pain pill and be fine; with an addict’s mentality, you start rationalizing and making excuses, and eventually it gets worse and worse and worse. So, we’re going to deal with that.

RELATED | Nikita Boss On That Major ‘Mikita’ Surprise! Plus Scoop On Alex, Sean, Owen, Ryan and Division

TVLINE | I imagine that might create some common ground between Alex and fellow addict Owen.
It’s definitely something that they have in common, but we haven’t shot anything that deals with that yet.

TVLINE | What exactly is the dynamic between the two once they finally meet?
When Owen is reintroduced this season, we don’t really know what he’s been doing. He comes out of prison and Alex is actually the one that interrogates him, since they’ve never met and she can get close to him. They have not written a romantic storyline between Alex and Owen yet, and I don’t know if it’s going to happen, but there is definitely a connection. There’s this weird spark and they just click. It’s not going to be obvious, it’s an under-the-surface thing. But there’s something there.

TVLINE | We’ve yet to learn the status of Alex and Sean’s relationship, other than to say that he’s still helping Division when he definitely doesn’t have to be. What’s ahead for this possible twosome?
I think Sean is there only because of Alex. Nothing’s keeping him there except for her. His love for her is very deep and for all of the right reasons, and he feels very protective of her. He doesn’t want her to keep getting hurt. It’s like, ‘This place is killing you. Look around you! There are dead bodies around and you’re in a f–ing sling. What are we doing? Let’s go!’ And that’s not where she is right now. This is where she wants to be. So, he’s going to make some ultimatums and it’s not going to go well. Eventually, they’re going to talk through it, but it’s going to take time. There’s still that love between them, but it’s going to go up and down until they can figure out where they stand in this world.

TVLINE | Anything else coming up for Alex that you’re particularly excited about?
I always like Alex when she shows her vulnerability, and when she does, it makes her strength out in the field so much stronger. There are going to be missions with her kicking ass, but there’s also going to be stuff that she’s dealing with on her own before people find out what she’s going through. And then I’m really looking forward to working with Melinda Clarke again. I know that’s in the future this season. I don’t know how it’s going to play out, but I’m looking forward to seeing that dynamic again. I always had a lot of fun with Alex and Amanda, and also as Lyndsy with Melinda.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Scoop

1. Lena120 says:

I don’t know where this Alex/Owen thing came from. Owen has insane chemistry with Nikita. I’m way more interested in the interaction between him and her, especially after discovering the engagement.

• Angel says:

I can’t agree more. Nikita and Owen have amazing chemistry. Owen is too mature for Alex. I think Sean and Alex make a really nice couple.

• Patricia says:

Yeah I don’t know where the Alex Owen idea came from either, I read an article last week and it mentioned but I think Alex is fine with Sean. I wanna see how Owen is going to react to the engagement

• Michelle says:

Yes, this! I’m excited about his reaction as well, I just hope there IS going to be a reaction. If they completely ignore Owen’s obvious feelings for Niki just to force his chemistry with Alex, I am honestly going to be pissed.

• Abby88 says:

I think Ur totally right.Owen and Nikita are way better suited for each other.They are both mature and they have more in common than Alex has with Owen.Alex would be like…too young for Owen.I dont like the Olex idea at all.And I think the producers should stop doing everything the fans say if they really want 2 make the show more succesful than it already is.We already saw how Owen n Nikita would be like.If they eventually knew that they’d go ahead with the Olex jazz,they shouldnt have given us a taste of Owkita’s chemistry at all.

• Rachael099 says:

you know what i want!? i want nathan to come back!! i would really like to see where he went and how alex would react to his return. I loved alex and nathan together mostly because of their chemistry from the young and restless, but i think nathans return would really stir things up.

2. Jon says:

Ok I like that they’re not ignoring the fact that Alex is an addict and continuing with that arc for her character. Hopefully they pull it off in a way that’s compelling and not repetitive. Also even though I think Alex and Owen could have an interesting dynamic I REALLY hope they don’t make it into sone stupid Alex/Sean/Owen love triangle.

3. Marc says:

I would have liked to have known if Lyndsy was open to a flashforward episode of How I Met Your Mother in about a year and a half.

4. llws88 says:

I also like that they are dealing with her addiction because I was convinced that she was just better…just like that

5. TheLonelyPlace says:

I would however ship the hell out of Ryan and Alex if that ever happens.

6. Jaan says:

I love sean and alex! I hope they develop their relationship more. they did a great job setting it up in season 2. thanks for the interview!

7. Abby88 says:

I wish she would have talked about the Nikita and Alex dynamic.I’ve always admired their relationship and I really wanna know if it’ll change at some point.What effect her relapse would have on Nikita, how she reacts to Nikita’s engagement…all that Alkita stuff.

8. Abby88 says:

Oh and btw, i think Alex and Sean are perfect for each other.Owen would be too old for her.He’d be totally hot with Nikita though.

9. Kimberly says:

No, no, nooo. I have been waiting for Alex and Sean getting together as a romantic couple for so long. I hope Owen and her just remain good partners in crime or something like that, Not another love triangle please!

10. Dominique says:

Sounds like Alex/Lyndsy’s got a lot of amazing stuff coming up, I cna’t wait! :D
    Also; can we stop this whole ship war thing? Where it’s ‘coming from’, is that people see potential. Telling us that Olex doesn’t make any sense because they’ve never met, or because he’s too old for her, or whatnot is not going to stop people from shipping them. You love Salex, we love Olex. Why does it have to resort to name calling and everything?

• Kat says:

I do agree people can ship who they want to ship and no amount of “logical reasons” will dissuade them. People do have a right to express, though, why they *don’t* like a pairing, especially since the writers have made it clear they’re paying attention to how fans react. For the record, while it’s not every shipper, it may not even be most shippers, there are *plenty* of Alex/Owen shippers who have routinely insulted Sean and Sean/Alex over the last year, and some of us Alex/Sean shippers are rather sick of it. People can ship fanon ships all they want, more power to them, but Alex also, for now at least, has another ship that’s actually canon. Not being able to mention them anywhere without some Alex/Owen shipper chiming in about how Sean is just soooooo boring and Alex/Owen are *clearly* endgame anyone can see that, is exceedingly irritating. That constant barrage is another reason I don’t feel guilty in the slightest for listing off the reasons I don’t care for the potential of an Owen/Alex romance (notice I said romance – friends? Oh yeah, that I want to see). But you are correct that personal insults aren’t necessary. I don’t agree that Owen/Alex would make a good romance, and I don’t particularly understand it’s supposed popularity (it seemed very much like a case of ‘pair the spares’ when it first showed up). But calling Owen/Alex shippers delusional is also not necessary, and rude.

• Dominique says:

Well at least you seem to understand, and I also pretty much agree with you in terms of how not every fan should be seen as the entire fandom. Don’t get me wrong, my intention here wasn’t to call out the entire Salex fanbase. I know plenty Salex shippers who are really cool and just mature about it, and same goes for Owkita shippers out there. The name calling is just something that happens a lot lately, and I wonder why that is, when we’re all just trying to enjoy the same show here. :)

11. liliana says:

I love Alex and Sean, they have an incredible chemestry! I hope they will continue together!! I don’t like the idea of Owen and Alex, not sure why this pair exists but.. i hope the writers won’t make a love triangles! That is so boring and will be forced like in the other shows…

12. Rachel says:

I love Sean and Alex, they are my favorite pairing in the show. I hope the writers don’t ruin their relationship with a stupid triangle.

13. Anastasia says:

Aex & Sean all the way, I believe the show is getting better & better with their relationship development, so please don’t try to push this “Olex” thing over because it’ll never be existed.

14. Sara says:

Owen should be off, I see nothing in him!

15. Rachael099 says:

I want nathan to come back!!! i loved nathan and alex together! i would love to see the reaction from sean and alex of his return. also alex and nathan had chemistry from the young and restless! Please bring nathan back!