Exclusive

Exclusive Castle Video: Killer Twist Threatens to Derail Rick and Kate's Romance

Is it the beginning of the end for Castle and Beckett?

In Monday’s Castle (ABC, 10/9c), the duo’s romance is dealt a potentially devastating blow when Castle emerges as a suspect in a gristly ritualistic killing — forcing Beckett to wonder how well she really knows her partner in crime and passion.

RELATED | Castle‘s First Christmas — Exclusive New Details!

Press PLAY below and watch Esposito interrupt a super-cute “Caskett” moment to drop the bomb on Kate’s lap.

Loading video...

1. Mikaylah says:

This makes me sad, because you know no matter the evidence Castle would always believe Kate was innocent.

• eridapo says:

For those who fear Kate wouldn’t believe Castle, the 4th sneak is out and you’ll have your answer. Neither her nor the team (even Gates) believes Castle is capable of the crime.

Sorry doubters.

• april-ann says:

It makes me sad too, because I think we all know that Matt W. M. does alot of work to get us news for this show, so why is this article not appearing under his name.

2. David says:

Oh please. This stupid ploy? If Kate is honestly going to believe for a second that Castle killed someone, then they don’t deserve to be together and this show is really going downhill.

• Naazneen says:

ITA. The fact that Ryan, Esposito and Kate all seem to BELIEVE and then ARREST Castle is absolute and utter rubbish. Its the most unbelievable thing ever. I would assume the first thing they jump to is to try and explain why evidence is conveniently being planted in all the right places. The minute i heard about this SL i was like BLEH

• Annie says:

Um, how ’bout we wait to see what the case actually entails before we decide it makes no sense, hm?

• Kvivik says:

Sorry, but the first thing I think when they arrest castle is ‘they’re trying to flush out the murderer’.
        Get a grip people!

• t says:

Then you apparently haven’t seen the part where he’s being interrogated and asks for his lawyer. And if they were trying to flush out the killer, wouldn’t they let him in on the con?

• salma says:

of course you will think BLEH, since i don’t even think you are a fan.

• Becks says:

To be fair, Castle and the guys seemed pretty worried that Beckett was about to kill the Senator in the premiere. So it’s not that unbelievable that Beckett and the guys would think that Castle could kill someone under the right circumstances.

• Kelly says:

seriously?, those of you who venture onto spoiler sites apparently don’t read them. They will be together in the next episode(s) so clearly she doesn’t believe, for long, that he is the killer. I would even venture to guess she NEVER believes it. Her facial expression clearly says to me ‘I’m perplexed’ not ‘oh my gosh I’m dating a killer’ to me.

• Alan says:

you do realise that trailers always lie, right? do you seriously believe they are an accurate representation of whats going on?

• David says:

You do know the definition of the word “ploy,” right? Obviously they don’t believe that Castle is a killer–it’s just a cheap trick by the writers to garner an emotional response without actually writing a story.

• Amy says:

Exactly. Hopefully this is false advertising and this will bring them closer together. Seriously, Beckett isn’t who we thought she was if she even for a minute believes Castle would do something like that. Maybe someone is out to get Castle. Maybe it has something to do with his dad.

• salma says:

i think Kate wont believe he killed someone what she will really be worried about is that he might have cheated on her.

• eridapo says:

Just watch the fourth sneak peek before you are ready to cast stones….

3. Samantha says:

There just so adorable! She holds out her hand for the coffee and he takes her hands to wrap it around the cup.
    1… 2… 3…. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

• Katherine215 says:

So glad you pointed that out, I missed it on first view! SO CUTE.

I’m actually really looking forward to this episode, I think it will bring them even closer together.

• Samantha says:

Im 1000% sure that their not breaking up and, agreed, that all this will actually bring them closer together.

• JAA says:

of course they’re not breaking up :), as Marlowe said once they got them together they were in it for real. I’m looking forward to this episode, Penny described this episode as “stand by your man” and I’m sure Beckett will be by his side once the initial shock fades out

• Dark Defender says:

AND then the cup switches position in her hand.. bad editing/continuity.

But still a cute moment. :D

• Ali, Sr. says:

Samantha – adorable & cheeky…she holds out her hand for the coffee & he “strokes” her palm before briefly “holding” it ….then he takes her hand to wrap it around the cup…thank you for pointing it out…otherwise I would not have seen it….Awwwwwwwww!!! Awwwwwwwww!!!!

4. mary says:

Come on guys, we all know they are not breaking up. And we should stop judging characters based on one sneak peek.

5. martina says:

I just wanna punch Esposito in the face right now…

6. Daniel says:

ha ha Kate surely has to laugh that off…i mean doesn’t she know that he’s with her all the time? she’s so insecure this season, ugh!! yeah like he’ll sleep with you and while you’re sleeping he’ll run out and kill someone, can’t believe they would think that! like seriously!! she’s his alibi.

• Katherine215 says:

Um, I don’t think they spend every single night together. They don’t live together, and it’s still pretty early in the relationship to be joined at the hip.

My guess is Castle is being framed by 3XK.

• Becca says:

I very much agree with your postulating Katherine! 3XK has yet to be figured out. Perhaps Ryan will be the one to make the leap given that it was his gun the last time 3XK showed up. If that the case, its as if 3XK is really enjoying the slow seep into Kate’s head by putting the people closest to her in these positions that call for intense examination and retrospection.

As a sidenote: This reminds me slightly of when Tony DiNozzo was framed by Abby’s lab assistant. Having the knowledge and skill to plant that much evidence suggests both intelligence and malice (I’m assuming 3XK has both).

7. Jenna says:

Yeah what’s up with Esposito? Is it because of actor or is he supposed to act like it’s no big deal.

• Donna says:

i assume he thinks castle slept with the vic and that’s why his prints are there, not that castle actually killed her. i mean, espo doesn’t know castle is with beckett now after all.

8. C says:

Can you just wait to watch the actual episode before judging?
    People have no patience, just sit relax and watch it, You can’t figure out a plot in one minute preview why call it stupid and “BLEH”.
    The writer are not stupid, they know what they are doing.
    Detectives detect, they have to do their job, of course they are going to investigate him, they have to follow the evidence, trust is another issue, of course important, but they are still cop they HAVE to follow the rules of the job.

• Kelly says:

Exactly an “I trust him” won’t clear him of charges. Plus not taking evidence seriously can get them all fired. In order to clear him, they have to investigate him.

9. gossip2010 says:

Caskett so cute !!! as always ! Can’t wait for this episode (like every week), castle being framed for murder is gonna be great and I want to see Kate supporting him
    She can doubt about his culpability for a few minutes but then she has to be there for him
    Come on it’s caskett, they’ve got to stick together

10. Andrea says:

I’m personally really excited for this episode! I love the dramatic ones and Andrew wrote this one so it has to be even better. I would prefer that Kate, Ryan and Espo are the ones on the case, they know him better than anyone and will figure out that he did not do it really quickly. I also think this will bring Castle and Beckett closer together in the end. Sneak peeks don’t give everyhing away!

11. Robert says:

12. daviduter says:

Oh noes!

13. Kira says:

This s/l is ridiculous!!! If they don’t know him well enough by now then they’re crappy detectives. Castle would never believe any of them did it if the evidence was piling up against them. Just like in OUAT when David doubted MM. If you don’t have faith in your partner you shouldn’t be with them.

• Joana says:

I’m sorry, but that is such a flawed logic. Castle also believed that his old childhood friend was not a murderer and trusted him until the end to the point of ignoring concrete and hard to refute evidence. And he turned out he was wrong. So they would be crappy detectives if they ignored all evidence and just trusted Castle. That’s now how you argue and prove a case in court. Their trust means nothing in the eyes of the law. And also, they’re all detectives and were trained to follow evidence. Just because they trust Castle does not mean they will not consider every option.

And how much faith can you have when you have a picture of your loved one that connects him to the victim and he did not tell you about? Where do you cross the line between “having faith” and just being “irrational” when faced with concrete evidence? All criminals have wives or families and I’m sure they were all shocked when they found out that they were criminals. Real life is not that black and white and these are issues that this episode will dwell on.

Now, obviously we all know Castle did not do it, because we are sitting at home in our couches watching our favorite show. But it’s realistic of them to have a moment of doubt and wonder what is going on, especially as trained detectives who are not supposed to judge a person based on personal feelings. They cannot do that. It does not mean they are going to turn against him, suddenly, it just means they are going to be thorough, as all detectives should be and everything will obviously turn out fine.

How can people even judge an episode and a story line based on a sneak peek is something I’ll never understand.

I for one cannot wait for this episode. It has substance. And I love angst with a happy ending. :)

• Robert says:

If the roles was reversed, I don’t think castle will get a pass (from the fans) for doubting beckett.

• Joana says:

Probably not from the same fans that are freaking out and going nuts about this sneak peak, but he definitely would from me and other similar fans. Hey, he actually thought Kate had killed or was going to kill Senator Bracken in 5×01. Understandable and justified? Of course. Just like it is understandable that Kate will might wonder if he could have done it. We all have moments of doubt. It makes us human.

• Robert says:

“Hey, he actually thought Kate had killed or was going to kill Senator Bracken in 5×01″ Totally diferent thing and I understand all that you pointed out in your 1st comment.

• Robert says:

“Probably not from the same fans that are freaking out and going nuts about this sneak peak,” well I speak from the mayority of fans, that feel insulted when someone pointed out a beckett flaw, but are the first ones to go and insult castle when he does something wrong, I’m not saying you are one of those, I’m just saying.

• taran63 says:

That’s not the same thing at all. Castle thinking that Beckett might kill an evil man who murdered her mother and others and who was going to get away with it is very different from Beckett thinking that Castle would kill an innocent woman just for kicks, or because he wanted to try something he plotted out for his stories. The two instances are not similar at all.

Now that being said, I have yet to see any proof that Beckett ever does believe Castle is guilty, just brief scenes taken out of context. I’ll give Beckett the benefit of the doubt until I see the episode, especially since I like the show and there are few episodes that I haven’t enjoyed.

I have to admit, though, that Esposito is starting to tick me off. Maybe he’s just playing bad cop; if so, he’s pretty good at it.

• Katherine215 says:

@Robert, you don’t speak for the majority. You speak for yourself. I personally don’t see how the two scenarios are that different. Having seen up close the motivation (or lack thereof) of murderers on a daily basis, both wonder if the other crossed that line. And @taran63 – we don’t have any idea what Beckett is thinking about Castle’s supposed motivations from a < 2 minute clip.

• Robert says:

@Katherine215 Go to castletv.net, this comments, tvovermind comments, etc, I am not making this out.

• C says:

What about when Castle believed in 5×01 that she was going to kill the Senator? He said “she’s going to kill him” Even Ryan was going to call the cops to stop her…. same thing, but at the end she didn’t do it, but he still doubted her, so really it did happen and he didn’t believed her, so really, same thing reversed.

• Robert says:

well, since season 1 we know how beckett acts with her mother’s case, is in character that she could have been thinking in killing bracken, now explain to me how in character is in castle to kill a woman?

• CarlagUK says:

Very well said Joana. Totally agree with you. I was just so moved by Beckett’s sad face in the promo that I couldnt bring myself to watch it again. I agree though that this is a real test for both of them in what is still early days in their relationship. If AWM has written it as well, then we are in for a treat.

• Joana says:

@CarlagUK thanks. Beckett’s face killed me too. Just like Castle’s face when he’s asking for a lawyer in the promo. This episode will be amazing and they’ll come out stronger than ever, I’m sure.

• Kelly says:

again, an “I trust him” won’t clear him of charges. The evidence points to him and not taking evidence seriously can get them all fired. In order to clear him, they have to investigate him.

14. Robert says:

I know he is just the actor, but I really would like to hear what thinks Fillion about this kind of episodes

15. tjdchill says:

My guess: 3XK. He’s back

16. Lori says:

Can’t see video!!!!!!!! Can someone please upload to YouTube??????

17. L.M. says:

I think a lot of you are missing the point of this episode. What would you do if all the evidence points to your partner being the murder? They are trained as detectives to follow leads, and remain to a certain extent, detached. How detached can they remain? This is the catch 22 that Kate, Espo and Ryan will be caught in. What I’m interested in is how they prove him innocent with evidence piling up against him, how do they find out who is framing him. Can’t wait to see this- angst and all.

18. Robert says:

If the roles was reversed, I don’t think castle will get a pass for doubting beckett.

19. Kristina says:

It seems like we’ve seen this storyline before…

• Alan says:

wow original comment, i havent seen this before. seriously you whine about a plot being reused in a detective show, all plots are reused in detective shows, they stopped comming up with new ways to kill people long ago

20. Katie says:

Stana herself said that Kate never doubts that Castle isn’t the killer, her doubts lie with the fact that it seems Castle has bought jewellery for this woman, and what that jewellery means. And when it comes to arresting Castle for murder, you’re forgetting who’s Captain at the minute. Gates isn’t one to let her detectives trust in someone from ordering them from arresting him, and I doubt Beckett, Esposito or Ryan actually had much of a say in the matter. I don’t believe Castle has murdered, or cheated, and we know that all ends happily because hell, episode after is Christmas and everything’s fine again.

Give the writiers some credit, and give Richard Castle credit too. They’re not going to suddenly back track on four years of character development, and he’s not going to throw away everything that him and Kate have been working towards.

21. Mari says:

OMG all this angst… IDK if I feel happy or sad.

22. James says:

Wow why would anybody think they’d break up when Marlowe himself said he wouldn’t do it so quickly. this episode looks amazing, I’m one of the few I think that enjoys it when castle takes a serious turn. I do have a quarrell with mr Esposito though. he seems all too eager to blame Castle, What the heck dude i thought he was your bro. my oppinion it’s 3XK.

23. Linderella says:

Glad I DVR…will be fast forwarding through the “angsty” parts! Yikes!

24. Castle police helped a lot, now it’s time to join forces and police show that trusts him and go after the real killer!

25. Glinda says:

Together they’re like a Martini garnish, he’s the stuffed olive and she’s the toothpick.

26. Sky Lark says:

For pete’s sake, if they think they need angst, at least, make it believable. Kate will never not trust Castle and just before Christmas, no way.

• Meghan says:

It is believable actually. These clips and sneak peeks are taken completely out of context. Stana Katic has already said, several weeks ago, that Beckett never doubts Castle’s involvement in the murder. What she’s not sure about is why Castle appears to be in a surveillance video buying the victim jewelry. She has perfectly believable doubts (based on Castle’s past history) about Castle’s relationship with the vic.

• Robert says:

His past will ALWAYS be part of his life, so she need to make peace with it and move on, or just let him go, period.

• Joana says:

Exactly. And that’s what they’re trying to do in this episode. Her trying to deal with it. But fans just want to complain. What did you want? Everything to suddenly be perfect and them to get married and have triplets? That’s not how real life is and for once a show is willing to portray all phases of a relationship and all the insecurities that naturally come with it, without jumping straight to the end. You say that you want her to accept his past, but yet you’re complaining that they’re showing her trying to do that.

• Robert says:

“You say that you want her to accept his past, but yet you’re complaining that they’re showing her trying to do that.” @Joana please tell me where I wrote that she can’t have doubts? I am not complaining about any doubts that she can have, I just point out the kind of double standard that fans have.

• Joana says:

I think your first post showed that you were not happy with this SL and with what they were doing with Beckett’s character in this episode: “They really need to make castle an idiot to prove a point in the story? come on! and beckett, well I really don’t know what to think about what they doing with that character…”.

About the double standard I totally agree with you, if it truly does exist. Everything I said here, I would have said if the situation was reversed. I actually disliked when people bash or judge either Castle or Beckett, when all mistakes they’ve made are just mistakes any other human would make and nothing has been made on purpose to hurt the other.

• Robert says:

yeah I was wrong in my first comment… and the double standard exist, of course folks will say thats not true, but well…

• Robert says:

“They really need to make castle an idiot to prove a point in the story? come on!” and this plot has been already used in the show.

27. They only way this is not a let down episode is if Castle is in a 3XK frame.

28. Teri says:

Sneek peeks are rigged. They play with your mind. No way Castle’s groupies let his case go. They will do whatever they need to to prove his innocence, especially Kate.

29. Viv says:

Also looks like Castle and Beckett might go rogue on this one TOGETHER, looks like it from the promo pictures. I can`t wait for this episode, I love Castle angst

30. Lilu says:

#IBelieveInRichardCastle #Always ;P

31. Castanati says:

On the eve of …. “Probable Cause” – 5 x 5 (11/29/2012 airing)

We have all been wonder when 3xk would reappear this my be pay back for Castle… the story line fits this episode considering 3xk made it clear he had in the pass changed his face, he could and would be able to get access to parts of castle’s life as well. Kate has a hard choice to make, to trust her heart, or the evidence that makes it seem like Castle’s a murderer. Who will Kate turn to, too help her determine where her true loyalties lie… will it be Martha, Castle’s daughter or Lanie, maybe even Ryan since he knows about their relationship. Kate’s world is on the line… her emotions will be turned upside down (not great territory for Kate, even though she’s in a relationship with Castle) this episode will test and establish the foundation for future episodes and their relationship.
    Can Wait _CASTLE!

32. Ali, Sr. says:

Tonight’s the night – “Probable Cause” – Will they elope? – Brake up? – Have a baby?… Changing gears from starting a fire in the Hamptons (and I don’t mean with the candles ;) ) to this episode is like going from BECKETT hanging from the edge of a roof top to hanging on to CASTLE after SHUTTING THE FRONT DOOR…seriously. Therefore “I WILL KEEP SHOWING UP.” (Capt.Montgomery) though “I HAVE NO IDEA” because “EVEN ON THE WORST OF DAYS…THERE IS ALWAYS THE POSSIBILITY OF MAGIC.” ….ALWAYS ;)