Big Bang Theory Casts Alphas Star as Penny's New [Spoiler] - Should Leonard Be Worried?

The Big Bang Theory Season 6 CastThe Big Bang Theory is getting chummy with an Alphas star.

Ryan Cartwright is headed to the CBS sitcom this fall as Penny’s new pal, per The Hollywood Reporter.

RELATED | Exclusive Video: Watch The Big Bang Theory’s Incredible Halloween Smurftacular!

Turns out, the aspiring actress will go back to school this season (Thursdays, 8/7c) and will befriend a few of her classmates — including Cartwright’s character — along the way. Leonard, however, won’t be too fond of his girlfriend’s new guy friend.

In addition to his current role on Alphas, Cartwright has enjoyed lengthy arcs on both Bones and Mad Men.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News

1. Hayden says:

Shipping already. Everyone else > Leonard

• luli says:

hating already…

• Ella says:

This comment is made of WIN. Seriously, I do not understand why they keep shovelling Leonard/Penny down our throats. Zero spark, zero chemistry, zero interest. Not that I don’t love Leonard, I actually think Penny is the one who isn’t good to or for him but I have been shipping Sheldon/Penny since the pilot. Still, either of them paired with ANYONE else is better than them paired with each other.

• Better Sundays says:

Oh, great deity whose existence Sheldon doubts! I second this with every fiber of my being. Anyone else > Leonard. Even when Leonard and Penny make out, their chemistry does nothing below the waist. Dear writers, STOP DREAMING OF A ROSS AND RACHEL ROMANCE HERE. Hella exhausting. Speaking of anyone else for Penny, I didn’t used to see it — not even with that titillating rack grab (yes, pun intended) of 2009 — but Penny having her way with Sheldon last week? Both hilarious AND oddly exciting. Now, THERE’S your earthquake below the waist.

2. Babybop says:

I miss him on Bones!! I wish he would come on BBT and just spout off random facts.

3. All I know is, if Penny isn’t going to ever really fall for Leonard, then she needs to walk away soon, whether it’s for another man or not. It’s six seasons in. If it’s not going to happen, move on. The guy deserves better than getting his chain yanked by a girl who’s never going to be as interested in him as he is in her – not that I don’t love Penny, but this is getting ridiculous.

• DL says:

I completely agree with you. And to be honest I already like Sheldon’s assistant for Leonard after just one episode more than I like Penny for him.

• JP says:

Yes, this! They’re not Ross & Rachel, for pity’s sake. The BBT writers should be better than all that annoying back-and-forth stuff.

• Josh says:

Yeah… I don’t get if we’re supposed to root for Penny and Leonard anymore. I love Penny, I love Leonard but when we had a whole episode about Penny wanting to break up with him because she didn’t love him, it’s impossible to root for them.

4. Jack Wahl says:

Ahh…unrequited love what makes a great sitcom….

5. Sean says:

No worries here, Penny says I Love You to leonard in the episode.

6. Tom Charles says:

It’s going to be so weird seeing him play a non autistic character. He plays Gary so well though.

• Snsetblaze says:

I had never seen the actor in Bones. But when I heard him speak in his normal voice with his regular accent instead of as Gary, I was startled. (I had no idea he was English.)

7. mia says:

He’s AMAZING on Alphas….like my god, he’s so good. Such an accurate and honest representation of autistic people.

8. tp says:

Hopefully he’ll have his original accent. I love him as an actor. He’s believable in every role I’ve seen.

9. suzi says:

I loved him on Bones, and I will keep trying to become a full-fledged Alphas fan. I’m sure he’ll be wonderful here, but no real threat to Penny and Leonard. I think she has already fallen for him, however she still can’t bring herself to admit and commit. Their smart and beautiful babies are inevitable.

10. Bonnie says:

I still can’t get over Alphas season finale cliff hanger.

• Linda says:

Me neither! I actually wasn’t sure if it was a cliffhanger or not. I do hope Alphas comes back for another season. I love all the characters!!

11. heather_kaye says:

Please be a short arc – I HAVE to have Alphas back next season!

12. Kay says:

I’m tired of Leonard and Penny. Nothing ever happens in their relationship and I actually think she’s really mean to lead him on when she clearly has reservations about moving on with their relationship. The whole thing could still be funny if they end the will-they-won’t-they between them and have them get married or move in together but TPTB won’t do that and it’s boring. I’m almost wishing Leonard moves on and Penny pines for him. Oh wait. They did that last season, which is why this season makes no sense.

• Better Sundays says:

Hooold on. How about Leonard being a whiny, passive-aggressive d-bag who wants a commitment yet has a long list of Penny’s flaws? Not to mention dropping her like a hot spud for the first attractive female who pays him any mind? How many times has THAT happened? He needs someone he can care about genuinely for her mind, and not for her looks — not a trophy he can flaunt in order to be the Alpha Nerd he claims to be.

13. Jay says:

While I absolutely adore Ryan, I am so over this back & forth between Penny & Leonard. I liked the “Sheldon’s assistant” episode b/c I enjoy seeing jealous Penny since I feel Leonard has proved himself many times over. But if she didn’t remember what it felt like when he was with Priya (omg, hated herrrrrr) then I agree with another post that she needs to let him go. Hopefully this (and Sheldon’s assistant) is just a fun little stunt casting and not a recurring theme of the season.

14. Laurag says:

Leonard deserves better. I hope he dumps her and dates Sheldons assistant.

15. Ace says:

Love Ryan Cartwright… do NOT love this pic of him. TV|Line, y’all usually have relatively flattering pictures of the subjects of your articles. What gives?

• Snsetblaze says:

Yes. I agree. I was like “What’s up with his hair? Does he have a comb-over?” when I saw that picture.

• Rain says:

Thank you! I watch both Bones and Alphas and had to click on the article to see who they were talking about because I didn’t recognize him from the pic!

16. Rachel says:

Loved him way back when he was even on Hardware. So happy. Hopefully he’ll be on for several episodes.

17. Ethel says:

Big Ryan Cartwright fan. I hope he can mix some of both his Bones character and Alpha character in this role. I miss him as a “squint” but he is oh so good on Alphas. Welcome to the BBT,Ryan, Wonder how long it will be before he learns rock, paper, scissors, Spock

18. jefecito says:

vincent nigel-murray!

19. GoGiants says:

Leonard is smart with a career–what interest would he have in a waitress who seems to have little motivation in her life to improve herself? Finally, she is going back to school? Sorry, but the character of Penny is a waste of time and space.

20. NunyaBiz says:

Official Penny + Leonard Care Meter:
    ]–|——————————–[

21. PB says:

This dude is greatness on Alphas. Gary may actually be the funniest character on TV, followed closely by Schmidt.

22. don says:

The show should be cancled the life went out of it along time ago.

23. GoGiants says:

After last week’s episode, I hope Leonard dumps Penny in a loud, embarrassing fashion. She’s nothing and doesn’t deserve him–he was attempting to help her and she knows she needs the help but she treats him like garbage. Penny is low-rent and childish.

24. Observertherealone says:

It’s jumped the shark.

End it, already.

25. He can so transform himself in his roles. The Bones character is nothing like the Alpha character. And, this time, I see him as a much sexier character.