Dancing With the Stars Week 5 Poll: Which Couple Is Most Likely to Mirrorball?

So much for progress! Just two weeks after a deliciously dramatic double-elimination, Week 5 of Dancing With The Stars’ All Star-themed 15th season pulled a complete U-Turn by sending no one home. (Yep, we can thank the final presidential debate for cutting an hour out of Monday night’s usual two-hour performance telecast.)

In addition, Tuesday’s festivities weren’t even live, but taped 24 hours earlier, alongside Monday’s performances. (Sacrilege!) Order will thankfully be restored next Tuesday with the spectacle of another sad, stunned star bidding a gracious adieu to his or her Mirrorball dreams.

In the meantime, let’s seize this results-free, mid-season occasion to pause, take a breath and review who’s rising and/or falling, who’s a lock to reach the finale, and who’s almost certain to skid to the sidelines.

The Sure Things: With nary a misstep all season, golden girl Shawn Johnson (despite Len and Carrie Ann’s cranky reactions to this week’s Titanic-inspired rumba), Gilles “Let the baby making begin!” Marini, and swaggering Emmitt Smith seem poised to hog all the glory and steal the spotlight in the All Stars season finale. If any one of em’ is poised for a shock boot, it could come at the hands of…

The Mid-Pack Players: They’ve had occasionally spectacular moments, so Sabrina Bryan, Apolo Anton Ohno, and Melissa Rycroft could easily spring a season-ending surprise. But is anyone really betting on it?

Teetering On The Brink: Virtually from Week 1, her fleet-footed All-Star rivals have made Kirstie Alley look wobblier than a pair of strapless stilettos, but will her self-described edge as an actress and entertainer eventually pay unexpected dividends? After outscoring multi-tasking (and thus, tired, distracted, and at-risk?) General Hospital star Kelly Monaco this week, it seems that anything — a quick elimination, calamitous wardrobe malfunction or even another berth in the finals seem within Kirstie’s realm of possibility.

Now it’s your turn. Which star do you think has to most Mirrorball momentum at this point in the show? Which star is on his/her way out, maybe as soon as next week? Can Carrie Ann actually stay upright in her chair next week? Sound off in the comments! –Mitch Rustad

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Dancing With The Stars, Reality TV, Recaps

1. DW says:

…and they managed to turn a number into a plug for Disney’s “Cinderella”, just out on Blu-Ray.

2. gailer says:

I want Kelly to win!

3. amylee says:

I want Kelly to win as well!!! :)

4. I really want Kelly to win but I’m not confidant she will. My prediction is Kelly, Gilles and Shawn make it to the final three and Gilles wins.

5. Mr. Practical says:

I want Kelly to win it!!!

6. Jess says:

Kelly needs to quit it with the Val romance stuff (it’s too much), Gilles has been super over-confident and down-right obnoxious about him being a dancer (the best one) as opposed to Shawn (the gymnast). Shawn was great on her season, but whether it’s being three years older, more competitive, or having Derek for a partner, she is above and away the most consistent and entertaining performer with the most nuanced choreography. For some reason, the judges inflate Emmitt’s scores (he’s not that good and moves slowly around the floor, see tonight’s group number). Apolo was great on his season but I actually agree (once tonight) with Carrie Ann: something is off with the chemistry between him and Karina and his dances have been sleepy. Sabrina and Melissa are very good but their fan bases are not huge enough to win.

Shawn as the all-star winner!

• Kim R says:

I feel like the judges over score Emmet as well. And I can’t believe the group number last night got 9′s! It was a mess!!! :) I really like Shawn and Derek. Sabrina as well. It is a good season for sure.

7. Canadian-JBS says:

Based on my own tastes, my final 3 would be Shawn/Derek, Melissa/Tony & Apolo/Karina, with Shawn winning.
    Based on how everyone’s done so far, the final 3 should be Shawn/Derek, Gilles/Peta, & Sabrina/Louis, with Shawn winning (again)
    Needless to say, I really think Shawn should win & I really want Shawn to win [& not just because I'm a 19 year old guy who thinks that she's hot ;)]

8. Linda says:

I want Sabrina to win but I know it’s a long shot. Hopefully she’ll be in the final, though. Shawn will probably be the one to win which I like her but can’t stand Derek.

9. Bex says:

I love both Shawn and Derek, all their dances so far have been amazing. Great chemistry and fantastic choreography every week

10. lulu says:

I love Kelly or Sabrina.

11. Jeanette says:

Shawn and Derek was just absolutely sensational tonight. She has grown up into a beautiful young woman.

12. TheFactsR says:

Shawn or Sabrina. Shawn is consistant each dance, Sabrina gives a darn great dance then a medium great dance.

Please NO GILLES! He and his partner are sickening this season. Just send him home already to his wife and kids.

Clear Gilles out next elimination and then re-poll. Gilles is distracting from allstars, makes DWTS look like a monkey zoo.

13. TheFactsR says:

Elimination map:

next: Gilles
    next: Kirstie
    next: Kelly
    next: Emmett
    next:Apolo or Melissa
    next: Apolo or Melissa
    Sabrina/Shawn final two

I believe the final 4 dances would be better danced by: Shawn Sabrina Apolo Melissa

14. Jaime says:

I really want Apolo to win, but Shawn is absolutely flawless so it would kind of be horrible if she didn’t win. Not that Derek needs another Mirrorball trophy.

15. GeeMa says:

I don’t think Len likes Derek. And no matter how many times I watch it, he didn’t lift her, he caught her. Best dance of the night!!

16. Amanda says:

TEAM GILLES ALL THE WAY! I love him and Peta together. I want them to win.

17. Brett says:

Anybody but Gilles. :)

18. Margaret says:

i was wayy annoyed that the judges didn’t knock gilles for lack of content, shawn & derek’s rumba tonight had a lot more content. also kudos to monday night’s team dance group for knowing that they needed to play to their strengths with the lifts & technical stuff bc tonight’s group dance was a hot mess.

19. Rebecca says:

Lets go Kelly!!

20. Bobbi says:

I think Shawn and Derek will take it this season and I’d love to see ANY other couple win!

21. GS says:

I really hope Kirstie goes and then Kelly. I’m so over the Kelly/Val showmance. They are gross and over the top. I didn’t like her the first season and I don’t like her now. She started out doing really well and now she’s just not up to par and her personality isn’t much better than Bristol’s was.

My votes are for Apollo and Karina but I think it’ll come down to Shawn (who deserves to be in the finals) and Emmitt (who shouldn’t have won the first time he did and doesn’t deserve to be in the finals now). I won’t be ticked at any of those left winning (except Kelly or Kirstie) but I would rather it be Apollo, Shawn, or Gilles.

• TheFactsR says:

I agree totally but for adding Gilles to the list of PLEASE LEAVE NOW: GILLES, KELLY, KIRSTIE! Gilles is vomit producing with Peta this season.

22. Mary says:

I think Shawn and Derek will win, although they are not my pick. In all fairness Kristie needs to leave, The group dance was a mess but truly I think if she was not in it, it would of been better. I will say I enjoyed watching the hot mess, it was fun. The judges are scoring so they can keep their favorite in it. I do not think Apollo or Emmit are doing as well as they did before. My top four would be Sabrina, Kelly, Melissa, Shawn.

23. HEATHER says:

Here is the top 3 that I would LOVE to see… Gillies, Sabrina and Melissa!
    However I know that Shawn will be in the Mix.
    I think it would be cool to see a Season 8 top 3… Shawn, Gillies and Melissa :)
    Emmitt, Kelly and Apollo are over rated and they can not dance like the rest of them. (Sure they have all had a good dance or 2, but they are not as consistant as the others)
    And Kirstie… She is sooo funny…. but she needs to go home next!
    My opinion :)

• TheFactsR says:

I think you are correct with saying Shawn will be in the final 3 and deserves to be in the finals. I didn’t care much to watch Shawn dance her first season but this season she’s more mature and doing much better.

I think you will be fooled if you belive it will be another Season 8 top 3, Gilles won’t make it to top 3 too many people are sick of him as much as they were Bristol.

24. Nicole says:

Team shawn/Derek! they have amazing chemistry and she is just a beautiful dancer. my final 3 Giles, Shawn, Kelly or Melissa. I love all 4 so I wouldn’t be disappointed in any of those winning but shawn is definitely the best. and this is dereks last year. what a way to go out ya know

25. dmschecht says:

Shawn/Derek have been absolutely amazing this year! When the pairings came out; there was only one person that I would accept her with and that would be Derek because of the fact he would bring something out of her that Mark started to tap into during Season 8 and I’ve been proven right.
    I don’t know what dance Len was watching but I agree with Bruno and Carrie Ann overall. But Carrie Ann’s dead wrong on about the “lift”. It was a complete catch.

I agree with something Mark Ballas said last week in post elimination interviews… my top four match his: Shawn/Derek; Sabrina/Louis; Gilles/Peta; and either Melissa/Tony or Kelly/Val.

But I’m Team Shawn/Derek all the way :)

26. TheFactsR says:

Gilles is way past the most viewers stay welcome, Kelly is vomit producing also Emmett is low key and that’s sort of ok for the fact their are plenty producing vomit this season.

Gilles
    Kelly
    Kirstie

Should go then re-evaluate the rest of the dancers once the vomit is subsided.

27. Jinjeon says:

I cannot wait when this BS season’s over. All-Stars? Yeah, right… I want to see a new season with NEW people. Not the ones we already saw. And no more politicians (or their kids), football players, gymnasts or ringers (professional dancers who try to come off as amateurs). I want it to be fair and square. Oh, and please get new judges (preferably professional dancers with years of experience). One more thing, make the show one hour, two hours is too long. Make the new season absolutely FRESH. Please.

28. wednesday says:

Well, I love Kelly and Val, heck I love just watching Val. Like him loads better than Maks. Please send Kirstie home ASAP. Talk about a hot mess. I know Shawn will win, but I’d love to see either Apolo, Melissa, Kelly or Sabrina win. Something different. PLEASE send Gilles home. He is so full of himself. He made me sick watching him in rehearsals this week trying to tell the pros what to do! Yuck. And Carrie Ann is plain embarrassing herself acting like a dog in heat every time he dances. I laughed myself silly when she fell out of that chair. She deserved it.