Dancing With the Stars Week 5 Poll: Which Couple Is Most Likely to Mirrorball?

So much for progress! Just two weeks after a deliciously dramatic double-elimination, Week 5 of Dancing With The Stars’ All Star-themed 15th season pulled a complete U-Turn by sending no one home. (Yep, we can thank the final presidential debate for cutting an hour out of Monday night’s usual two-hour performance telecast.)

In addition, Tuesday’s festivities weren’t even live, but taped 24 hours earlier, alongside Monday’s performances. (Sacrilege!) Order will thankfully be restored next Tuesday with the spectacle of another sad, stunned star bidding a gracious adieu to his or her Mirrorball dreams.

In the meantime, let’s seize this results-free, mid-season occasion to pause, take a breath and review who’s rising and/or falling, who’s a lock to reach the finale, and who’s almost certain to skid to the sidelines.

The Sure Things: With nary a misstep all season, golden girl Shawn Johnson (despite Len and Carrie Ann’s cranky reactions to this week’s Titanic-inspired rumba), Gilles “Let the baby making begin!” Marini, and swaggering Emmitt Smith seem poised to hog all the glory and steal the spotlight in the All Stars season finale. If any one of em’ is poised for a shock boot, it could come at the hands of…

The Mid-Pack Players: They’ve had occasionally spectacular moments, so Sabrina Bryan, Apolo Anton Ohno, and Melissa Rycroft could easily spring a season-ending surprise. But is anyone really betting on it?

Teetering On The Brink: Virtually from Week 1, her fleet-footed All-Star rivals have made Kirstie Alley look wobblier than a pair of strapless stilettos, but will her self-described edge as an actress and entertainer eventually pay unexpected dividends? After outscoring multi-tasking (and thus, tired, distracted, and at-risk?) General Hospital star Kelly Monaco this week, it seems that anything — a quick elimination, calamitous wardrobe malfunction or even another berth in the finals seem within Kirstie’s realm of possibility.

Now it’s your turn. Which star do you think has to most Mirrorball momentum at this point in the show? Which star is on his/her way out, maybe as soon as next week? Can Carrie Ann actually stay upright in her chair next week? Sound off in the comments! –Mitch Rustad

Comments (40)

• …and they managed to turn a number into a plug for Disney’s “Cinderella”, just out on Blu-Ray.

Comment by DW – October 23, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Kelly to win!

Comment by gailer – October 23, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Kelly to win as well!!! :)

Comment by amylee – October 23, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want Kelly to win but I’m not confidant she will. My prediction is Kelly, Gilles and Shawn make it to the final three and Gilles wins.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – October 23, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Kelly to win it!!!

Comment by Mr. Practical – October 23, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelly needs to quit it with the Val romance stuff (it’s too much), Gilles has been super over-confident and down-right obnoxious about him being a dancer (the best one) as opposed to Shawn (the gymnast). Shawn was great on her season, but whether it’s being three years older, more competitive, or having Derek for a partner, she is above and away the most consistent and entertaining performer with the most nuanced choreography. For some reason, the judges inflate Emmitt’s scores (he’s not that good and moves slowly around the floor, see tonight’s group number). Apolo was great on his season but I actually agree (once tonight) with Carrie Ann: something is off with the chemistry between him and Karina and his dances have been sleepy. Sabrina and Melissa are very good but their fan bases are not huge enough to win.

Shawn as the all-star winner!

Comment by Jess – October 23, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like the judges over score Emmet as well. And I can’t believe the group number last night got 9′s! It was a mess!!! :) I really like Shawn and Derek. Sabrina as well. It is a good season for sure.

Comment by Kim R – October 24, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on my own tastes, my final 3 would be Shawn/Derek, Melissa/Tony & Apolo/Karina, with Shawn winning.
    Based on how everyone’s done so far, the final 3 should be Shawn/Derek, Gilles/Peta, & Sabrina/Louis, with Shawn winning (again)
    Needless to say, I really think Shawn should win & I really want Shawn to win [& not just because I'm a 19 year old guy who thinks that she's hot ;)]

Comment by Canadian-JBS – October 23, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Sabrina to win but I know it’s a long shot. Hopefully she’ll be in the final, though. Shawn will probably be the one to win which I like her but can’t stand Derek.

Comment by Linda – October 23, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both Shawn and Derek, all their dances so far have been amazing. Great chemistry and fantastic choreography every week

Comment by Bex – October 23, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Kelly or Sabrina.

Comment by lulu – October 23, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shawn and Derek was just absolutely sensational tonight. She has grown up into a beautiful young woman.

Comment by Jeanette – October 23, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shawn or Sabrina. Shawn is consistant each dance, Sabrina gives a darn great dance then a medium great dance.

Please NO GILLES! He and his partner are sickening this season. Just send him home already to his wife and kids.

Clear Gilles out next elimination and then re-poll. Gilles is distracting from allstars, makes DWTS look like a monkey zoo.

Comment by TheFactsR – October 23, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elimination map:

next: Gilles
    next: Kirstie
    next: Kelly
    next: Emmett
    next:Apolo or Melissa
    next: Apolo or Melissa
    Sabrina/Shawn final two

I believe the final 4 dances would be better danced by: Shawn Sabrina Apolo Melissa

Comment by TheFactsR – October 23, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want Apolo to win, but Shawn is absolutely flawless so it would kind of be horrible if she didn’t win. Not that Derek needs another Mirrorball trophy.

Comment by Jaime – October 23, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well this would be his last one, isn’t he leaving after this season?

Comment by Kim – October 23, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Alls-Star MirrorBall Trophy should look different from the rest in reality thinking.

Comment by TheFactsR – October 24, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Len likes Derek. And no matter how many times I watch it, he didn’t lift her, he caught her. Best dance of the night!!

Comment by GeeMa – October 23, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was Carrie Ann, Len agreed with Bruno that it was a catch

Comment by Kim – October 23, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, it was Carrie Ann, but I still don’t think Len likes Derek, who I think is an awesome choreographer.

Comment by GeeMa – October 23, 2012 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM GILLES ALL THE WAY! I love him and Peta together. I want them to win.

Comment by Amanda – October 23, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody but Gilles. :)

Comment by Brett – October 24, 2012 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Almost anybody but Gilles

Comment by TheFactsR – October 24, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was wayy annoyed that the judges didn’t knock gilles for lack of content, shawn & derek’s rumba tonight had a lot more content. also kudos to monday night’s team dance group for knowing that they needed to play to their strengths with the lifts & technical stuff bc tonight’s group dance was a hot mess.

Comment by Margaret – October 24, 2012 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IF only Shawn’s rumba had those rumba figure 8 steps in the dance they may have gotten a 29.5 all the points but for cai’s lift which was a catch.

Comment by TheFactsR – October 24, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Bruno said to Shawn on her first dance that at times the foxtrot looked like a cha-cha; but I hated that last night; no one said that Giles rumba was WAY TOO QUICK!

Comment by Debbie Schechter – October 24, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What rumba did Gilles do a rumba? HAHA

Comment by TheFactsR – October 24, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets go Kelly!!

Comment by Rebecca – October 24, 2012 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Shawn and Derek will take it this season and I’d love to see ANY other couple win!

Comment by Bobbi – October 24, 2012 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Kirstie goes and then Kelly. I’m so over the Kelly/Val showmance. They are gross and over the top. I didn’t like her the first season and I don’t like her now. She started out doing really well and now she’s just not up to par and her personality isn’t much better than Bristol’s was.

My votes are for Apollo and Karina but I think it’ll come down to Shawn (who deserves to be in the finals) and Emmitt (who shouldn’t have won the first time he did and doesn’t deserve to be in the finals now). I won’t be ticked at any of those left winning (except Kelly or Kirstie) but I would rather it be Apollo, Shawn, or Gilles.

Comment by GS – October 24, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree totally but for adding Gilles to the list of PLEASE LEAVE NOW: GILLES, KELLY, KIRSTIE! Gilles is vomit producing with Peta this season.

Comment by TheFactsR – October 24, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Shawn and Derek will win, although they are not my pick. In all fairness Kristie needs to leave, The group dance was a mess but truly I think if she was not in it, it would of been better. I will say I enjoyed watching the hot mess, it was fun. The judges are scoring so they can keep their favorite in it. I do not think Apollo or Emmit are doing as well as they did before. My top four would be Sabrina, Kelly, Melissa, Shawn.

Comment by Mary – October 24, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here is the top 3 that I would LOVE to see… Gillies, Sabrina and Melissa!
    However I know that Shawn will be in the Mix.
    I think it would be cool to see a Season 8 top 3… Shawn, Gillies and Melissa :)
    Emmitt, Kelly and Apollo are over rated and they can not dance like the rest of them. (Sure they have all had a good dance or 2, but they are not as consistant as the others)
    And Kirstie… She is sooo funny…. but she needs to go home next!
    My opinion :)

Comment by HEATHER – October 24, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you are correct with saying Shawn will be in the final 3 and deserves to be in the finals. I didn’t care much to watch Shawn dance her first season but this season she’s more mature and doing much better.

I think you will be fooled if you belive it will be another Season 8 top 3, Gilles won’t make it to top 3 too many people are sick of him as much as they were Bristol.

Comment by TheFactsR – October 24, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team shawn/Derek! they have amazing chemistry and she is just a beautiful dancer. my final 3 Giles, Shawn, Kelly or Melissa. I love all 4 so I wouldn’t be disappointed in any of those winning but shawn is definitely the best. and this is dereks last year. what a way to go out ya know

Comment by Nicole – October 24, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shawn/Derek have been absolutely amazing this year! When the pairings came out; there was only one person that I would accept her with and that would be Derek because of the fact he would bring something out of her that Mark started to tap into during Season 8 and I’ve been proven right.
    I don’t know what dance Len was watching but I agree with Bruno and Carrie Ann overall. But Carrie Ann’s dead wrong on about the “lift”. It was a complete catch.

I agree with something Mark Ballas said last week in post elimination interviews… my top four match his: Shawn/Derek; Sabrina/Louis; Gilles/Peta; and either Melissa/Tony or Kelly/Val.

But I’m Team Shawn/Derek all the way :)

Comment by dmschecht – October 24, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Gilles
    Kelly
    Kirstie

Should go then re-evaluate the rest of the dancers once the vomit is subsided.

Comment by TheFactsR – October 24, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait when this BS season’s over. All-Stars? Yeah, right… I want to see a new season with NEW people. Not the ones we already saw. And no more politicians (or their kids), football players, gymnasts or ringers (professional dancers who try to come off as amateurs). I want it to be fair and square. Oh, and please get new judges (preferably professional dancers with years of experience). One more thing, make the show one hour, two hours is too long. Make the new season absolutely FRESH. Please.

Comment by Jinjeon – October 24, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The judges continue to be a pathetic joke and suck the life out of this show. They need to go.

Comment by bobbye – October 24, 2012 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I love Kelly and Val, heck I love just watching Val. Like him loads better than Maks. Please send Kirstie home ASAP. Talk about a hot mess. I know Shawn will win, but I’d love to see either Apolo, Melissa, Kelly or Sabrina win. Something different. PLEASE send Gilles home. He is so full of himself. He made me sick watching him in rehearsals this week trying to tell the pros what to do! Yuck. And Carrie Ann is plain embarrassing herself acting like a dog in heat every time he dances. I laughed myself silly when she fell out of that chair. She deserved it.

Comment by wednesday – October 25, 2012 01:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post