Reality Check: Questionable Calls, Righteous Steals and a Runaway Moustache on The Voice

With rain-delayed baseball games wreaking havoc on The X Factor‘s Top 16 announcement episode, NBC’s The Voice had to do most of the heavy lifting in the reality singing competition category last week. Thankfully, there was more than enough talent and discord in Week 2 of the show’s Battle Rounds to fuel an entire episode of Reality Check.

My cohost Pia Toscano (pinch-hitting for a vacationing Melinda Doolittle) and I dive into several instances where the show’s mentors made the wrong call in declaring a Battle Round winner, leaving competing judges to turn to The Save to remedy the injustice. We also identify two vocalists who are building enough momentum to look like potential threats for the Season 3 crown, and tackle the important question of how disheveled a male contestant’s facial hair can be before it dissuades viewers from voting for him.

Plus, Pia fills us in on what she’s been up to in the studio — and with whom — and how you can expect the finished product to sound.

So press play below for this week’s Reality Check, and for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Mitch says:

WHERE IS MELINDA!!!!!!!!

2. Blinged Up says:

I don’t watch The Voice. Just tuned in because I love Reality Check and wanted to see what you had to say about the Fox mess-up with X-Factor.

But to comment on what I just saw, I hate to be shallow but……that guy’s mustache grosses me out.

3. bjp says:

Thank you SO much for mentioning the ungodly mustache! I thought it was just me — watching the performance was actually painful — I couldn’t get passed it. It’s on his teeth!!! Let’s hope he hear our cries!

4. Karen says:

Pia’s nice, but I really miss the mini fro-yo aka Melinda Doolittle.

5. Scott says:

Not digging Pia, and I think the problem is the lighting. The rapport between Slezak and Doolittle is so good, that Pia’s really at a disadvantage when you compare them. Nice to hear what she’s doing, however, even though I didn’t really like her on Idol.

6. Lili An-noln says:

Exactly the feelings I had while watching Ratatouille!

7. Rob says:

Love Pia! She and Haley were my faves from their season. I wanted to hear what you had to say about this week’s 1 3/4 episodes of X-Factor.

• FreeHaley says:

+1 Haley + Pia finale woulda been sweet, if only, if only (Haley FTW of course though, sorry Pia hah).
      Not sure anyone like them will ever have a prayer to win AI with the way the demo on that show has gone though. Haley’s first album was really awesome, it’s a crime it’s not getting the press it should (although she has gotten noticed by individuals as she got invited to Carnegie Hall after her crazy awesome jazz performance). Hope Pia’s turns out too.

• FreeHaley says:

Instead you got the morons at TMZ laughing at her for flubbing some lyric and not showing or mentioning her stunning, blew everyone in the joint away, jazz performance.

8. Danny says:

I thought Pia did a pretty good job as a fill in. Because of her connection w/ one of the contestants, she might have been a bettter choice for this week. I still like Melinda though.

Off the subject here, but a computer/video question. I can watch the video from start to finish, but there’s no way to pause it (like if I get a phone call) or reweind it any. So that means I’ve gotta watch the whole thing again from start to finish. Is there a way to correct that?

• aravis says:

With YouTube videos you can just click where you want to start hearing and it starts streaming at that point. At least in my experience.

9. Jill says:

Nicholas lives in suburbia, just south of Minneapolis/St. Paul. If that doesn’t mess with your perception of him, I don’t know what will.

PS If you can’t get Melinda, get Matt Girard!!!

10. Tiff says:

I’m still shocked that no one stole Benji. That guy was in the top 3 for me, and I thought he killed it. SO annoyed.

BTW, I really liked seeing Pia – I wasn’t her biggest fan on AI, but she’s definitely someone who can speak to strong voices and good singing.

11. jsnj says:

Pia’s beautiful. I miss Melinda though. This felt very much like a fill-in.

12. Mari says:

I don’t watch the Voice. I just tuned in to see what’s going on with Pia these days (and btw she looks really pretty) and if you were going to say something about the acts in the group category on x-factor. I guess not.

13. Luiz says:

Thanks, Michael, for bringing Pia in! I love her, and I’m so happy because I loved Alessandra, and I also loved Xtina’s steal (I stood up from the chair when it happened, couldn’t stay sitted!!!).

It’s good to see someone talk so nicely about Ale. Most people think I’m crazy because she’s one of my favorites instead of Melanie or Bryan Keith, for instance.

I love Melinda too, though. So I think they should take turns in Reality Check! What about that? Pia, please don’t leave us! =)

14. Markus says:

Those three girls in the video cover art all look like the exact same person. Was that intentional?

15. FreeHaley says:

Still think you are being too hard on the Christina duo although at least you are softening up on your stance on Joselyn.