Reality Check: Questionable Calls, Righteous Steals and a Runaway Moustache on The Voice

Get More: Reality TV, The Voice, Video

With rain-delayed baseball games wreaking havoc on The X Factor‘s Top 16 announcement episode, NBC’s The Voice had to do most of the heavy lifting in the reality singing competition category last week. Thankfully, there was more than enough talent and discord in Week 2 of the show’s Battle Rounds to fuel an entire episode of Reality Check.

My cohost Pia Toscano (pinch-hitting for a vacationing Melinda Doolittle) and I dive into several instances where the show’s mentors made the wrong call in declaring a Battle Round winner, leaving competing judges to turn to The Save to remedy the injustice. We also identify two vocalists who are building enough momentum to look like potential threats for the Season 3 crown, and tackle the important question of how disheveled a male contestant’s facial hair can be before it dissuades viewers from voting for him.

Plus, Pia fills us in on what she’s been up to in the studio — and with whom — and how you can expect the finished product to sound.

So press play below for this week’s Reality Check, and for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (20)

• WHERE IS MELINDA!!!!!!!!

Comment by Mitch – October 22, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! I miss Melinda, these recaps are not the same.

Comment by Lyn – October 22, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch The Voice. Just tuned in because I love Reality Check and wanted to see what you had to say about the Fox mess-up with X-Factor.

But to comment on what I just saw, I hate to be shallow but……that guy’s mustache grosses me out.

Comment by Blinged Up – October 22, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you SO much for mentioning the ungodly mustache! I thought it was just me — watching the performance was actually painful — I couldn’t get passed it. It’s on his teeth!!! Let’s hope he hear our cries!

Comment by bjp – October 22, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pia’s nice, but I really miss the mini fro-yo aka Melinda Doolittle.

Comment by Karen – October 22, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not digging Pia, and I think the problem is the lighting. The rapport between Slezak and Doolittle is so good, that Pia’s really at a disadvantage when you compare them. Nice to hear what she’s doing, however, even though I didn’t really like her on Idol.

Comment by Scott – October 22, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exactly the feelings I had while watching Ratatouille!

Comment by Lili An-noln – October 22, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really don’t understand the rat reaction of people, they’re lovely (and mine bite)

Comment by STM – October 23, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Pia! She and Haley were my faves from their season. I wanted to hear what you had to say about this week’s 1 3/4 episodes of X-Factor.

Comment by Rob – October 22, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1 Haley + Pia finale woulda been sweet, if only, if only (Haley FTW of course though, sorry Pia hah).
      Not sure anyone like them will ever have a prayer to win AI with the way the demo on that show has gone though. Haley’s first album was really awesome, it’s a crime it’s not getting the press it should (although she has gotten noticed by individuals as she got invited to Carnegie Hall after her crazy awesome jazz performance). Hope Pia’s turns out too.

Comment by FreeHaley – October 24, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Instead you got the morons at TMZ laughing at her for flubbing some lyric and not showing or mentioning her stunning, blew everyone in the joint away, jazz performance.

Comment by FreeHaley – October 24, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Pia did a pretty good job as a fill in. Because of her connection w/ one of the contestants, she might have been a bettter choice for this week. I still like Melinda though.

Off the subject here, but a computer/video question. I can watch the video from start to finish, but there’s no way to pause it (like if I get a phone call) or reweind it any. So that means I’ve gotta watch the whole thing again from start to finish. Is there a way to correct that?

Comment by Danny – October 22, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With YouTube videos you can just click where you want to start hearing and it starts streaming at that point. At least in my experience.

Comment by aravis – October 24, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicholas lives in suburbia, just south of Minneapolis/St. Paul. If that doesn’t mess with your perception of him, I don’t know what will.

PS If you can’t get Melinda, get Matt Girard!!!

Comment by Jill – October 22, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still shocked that no one stole Benji. That guy was in the top 3 for me, and I thought he killed it. SO annoyed.

BTW, I really liked seeing Pia – I wasn’t her biggest fan on AI, but she’s definitely someone who can speak to strong voices and good singing.

Comment by Tiff – October 22, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pia’s beautiful. I miss Melinda though. This felt very much like a fill-in.

Comment by jsnj – October 22, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch the Voice. I just tuned in to see what’s going on with Pia these days (and btw she looks really pretty) and if you were going to say something about the acts in the group category on x-factor. I guess not.

Comment by Mari – October 22, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks, Michael, for bringing Pia in! I love her, and I’m so happy because I loved Alessandra, and I also loved Xtina’s steal (I stood up from the chair when it happened, couldn’t stay sitted!!!).

It’s good to see someone talk so nicely about Ale. Most people think I’m crazy because she’s one of my favorites instead of Melanie or Bryan Keith, for instance.

I love Melinda too, though. So I think they should take turns in Reality Check! What about that? Pia, please don’t leave us! =)

Comment by Luiz – October 22, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those three girls in the video cover art all look like the exact same person. Was that intentional?

Comment by Markus – October 22, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still think you are being too hard on the Christina duo although at least you are softening up on your stance on Joselyn.

Comment by FreeHaley – October 24, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post