Blue Bloods' Jennifer Esposito Departs Show, Slams CBS For Its 'Shameful Behavior'

Jennifer Esposito Leaving Blue BloodsJennifer Esposito is temporarily turning in her badge on Blue Bloods amid a contentious behind-the-scenes dispute with CBS.

On Saturday, CBS released a statement to our sister site Deadline saying the actress, who plays Det. Jackie Curatola on the Friday night procedural, “informed us that she is only available to work on a very limited part-time schedule. As a result, she’s unable to perform the demands of her role and we regretfully had to put her character on a leave of absence.”

RELATED | Community Controversy: Chevy Chase Drops the N-Word on Set, Issues Apology

Esposito, who has been very public about her battle with Celiac Disease, quickly shot back on Twitter that “CBS put me on unpaid leave and has blocked me from working anywhere else after my doctor said you needed a reduced schedule due to Celiac. CBS didn’t listen to my doc and I collapsed on set. Which everyone saw! After a week off my doc said I could return to work but CBS implied that I was not truly ill and this was a scheme to get a raise! It’s been almost two months without bringing me back to work + keeping Me from working anywhere else!… Absolutely shameful behavior.”

Esposito’s “final” Blue Bloods episode will air Nov. 2. In the meantime, Deadline reports that the show will bring in guest stars to fill the void. First up: Relative newcomer Megan Ketch, who will serve as Danny’s temporary partner in at least four episodes.

1. Elizabeth says:

what else can we expect from cbs!! jennifer owns that charactor and every wk we look for her back. Maybe we just quite watching?

2. Elaine says:

I looked forward to seeing the two detectives working together each week. I love the show and Jennifer is one of my favorite characters. Please write to CBS and ask for her to be brought back. I did.

3. crisper12 says:

racism or sexism? is that all anyone can see these days? i think cbs is just highly inconsiderate. they’re willing to work w/ a pregnant amanda righetti over there on the mentalist, but not w/ jennifer esposito & her illness. WHY???! is unpaid leave just a legal formallity to get rid of somebody or might cbs actually have a heart{doubtful}?

4. I just found out that Jackie won’t be in season three. First I’m pissed about it and very disappointed in CBS period. I’m taking Blue Bloods off my DVR record setting now until Jackie returns! Bring back Jackie!!!!!!!!

5. SLM says:

Terrible. Makes me not want to watch the show in protest. To Jennifer: I hope you find a way to manage your Celiac. I know how life-disrupting it can be. I’m the type to say FIGHT CBS but at same time, the ‘fight’ and all the physical and emotional toll it takes on you certainly won’t help your condition. It’s absolutely ridiculous that CBS won’t accommodate your alternate work arrangements on the advice of your doctor this is especially true considering your role on the show. Danny and Jackie are integral to the show. As a pair. Removing the character of Jackie totally disrupts the flow and quality if the show. And to prevent u from working elsewhere? get a good lawyer! What the he*l is going on over at CBS?! Unfortunately, it goes on EVERYWHRE. Sometimes you need to take a stance. Good for you to go public. People need to know. Again, good luck with your health. Hope to see you back on the show but regardless, hope to see you back on the screen soon: you’re an excellent actress!! Good luck.

6. Dick Farrel says:

Esposito was the last of many “Danny Partnesr” if you recall, he was going through one a week in Season 1. Jackie Curatola seemed to stick. She was very “New YawK” definatley a HOTTIE, and easily to identify with. She was a definate assett to this show. It will be weaker show without her . And the way the freaks at CBS treated her is abominable. “No you can’t get paid, and you can’t work elsewhere” WTF is that? Primaitve, jejune, immature, ugly and distasteful. I may even lose interest in the show…And to add insult to injury, they pull this week’s episode for some DUMB special. Specials pretty much tell your loyal viewers ‘get lost, we don’t need you tonight’ I HATE THAT…never happens on Cable…and Cable will show episodes over and over…no ONE SHOT and it’s ALL you got…THIS IS WHY traditional Tv is dying…CBS and their buddies are killing it..LONG LIVE CABLE…AMC NEVER PRE-EMPTS Walking Dead TNT would never cancel an episode of Falling Skies for some DUMB-feel good waste of time for a drugged out,hedonist “celeb performer”…hey CBS/NBC/ABC take a hint, you are going away unless you adapt

7. GF says:

HUGE MISTAKE, CBS. I wonder how many viewers you will lose because of your decision to remove Jennifer Esposito from Blue Bloods. BRING HER BACK…SOON!!

8. Arlene says:

Jennifer was on HNN the other day, explaining to Dr Drew that she’d originally taken the role of Jackie because a role in the family would have required still longer hours. Jackie’s character had more flexible shooting hours.
    To people with this disease who do manage to stick to their work schedules because their diets are controlled, that’s great, good for you, but your disease is not her disease, just like my multiple sclerosis is not Teri Garr’s or Richard Pryor’s or Annette Funicello’s.
    No one can replace this actor on this show. I’m glad they at least gave the character a chance to say goodbye.

• chris says:

couldn’t agree w/ ya more arlene. bout time some1 said it. every1’s affected on an individual basis. btw, that wasn’t much of a chance… i thought it was cold.
      prayers be w/ ya jennifer

9. Jo says:

You should have stayed with Jennifer Esposito. She truly was a great fit with Donnie Wahlberg. Once fans are so used to a character, unless they literally DIE, anyone else is sub-standard.

10. deb says:

In my opinion the show went from a 10 to a 5 since jackie left, the replacement is lousey better get her back CBS or loose ratings !!

11. Ali says:

Why can’t the show write the disease into the show. Please bring Jackie back. Danny deserves the best partner out there and that is Jackie(Jennifer).
    The fans have spoken. CBS, are you listening? Well, what do you plan to do?

12. Jan Wilson says:

Please bring Jennifer Esposito back as Danny’s partner. She was perfect for the part. I could really see her as a detective. It doesn’t seem right for CBS to hold an illness against her. If CBS does not believe her illness, have an independent doctor check her out. Pls come back Jennifer. Many of my friends feel the same as I do about Jennifer’s part on Blue Bloods.

• cathy carroll says:

Its disgraceful the way Jennifer has been treated by CBS because she has an illness. They should have found a way to make it work with her. She has helped to make this show the huge hit it is. I think CBS could regret their decision in the end, this could damage Blue Bloods.

13. james says:

jennifer we love your character in blue bloods i’m in two minds not to watch any more sorry about your illness we were wondering where you where please c.b.s do the right thing and bring her back everybody can be replaced but not your character your irish fans

14. Fil Marchese says:

Jennifer Esposito is too important an actor lo lose from the series. We need our “Jackie” back. She has such good instincts. She knows when not to crowd her partner Danny. She knows he’s a married man and supports her partner without emphasizing the man-woman thing. And Danny respects her in the work place. She is excellent on research and Donnie counts on her good ideas. Please bring Jennifer Esposito back. She’s such a good actor for he part.

15. Maria says:

Bring back Jennifer Esposito! Blue Bloods is nothing without her. I want to see the great reunion with her partner, Donnie. Watch your ratings jump when you decide to promote this episode to past and current viewer fans.

16. Jojo says:

I love Blue Bloods my favorite show I enjoy the Reagan family it is nice to see that family values are still around. I love Jackie in the show her and Danny are great together. So she has a health problem she is not running off to a foreign country. Bring her back people chose to watch the show and hurting the people we enjoy watching well we have the option not to watch. You should really be ashamed of yourselves.

17. Sharon Jones says:

Jennifer was great for the show, I was really sorry she isn’t on Hope she comes back

18. Maria says:

What is it going to take to get Jennifer Esposito back on the show? This is one great actress. I miss watching her on Blue Bloods. Please bring her back ASAP! The department even seems dull without the role of Jackie. Jackie and her partner, Danny, have the police team chemistry. They represent how one partner supports and backs up the other partner. This Friday evening show needs her – her shoes are definitely hard to fill as you already are aware of or have heard from her viewing fans. Please reconvene and permit her to come back adhering to doctor’s orders. You will not regret your reevaluated decision.

19. Anita Rivera says:

Bring Jennifer Esposito back. She works well with Walberg. The characters blend well.CBS execs would certainly be given time needed. I agree with all of the comments in Esposito’s favor. I will only say that rather than repeating prior comments. BRING BACK ESPOSITO AND HER CHARACTER…PLEASE.

20. Squibbit says:

Shame on CBS…it is one thing to procastinate…but Celiac Dse is not fun to have and it is a REAL disease!!! I know because I took care of a relative with mild Celiac Disease and once it advances to a more moderate one, it isn’t fun. And the fact that she collapsed on set should have sent the “red flags up…SHAME SHAME SHAME CBS…I hope you get what you all deserve!! Especially those making these horrid and terrible decisions!

21. Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get
    home. I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I’m not even
    using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, superb blog!

22. Genial ! Je partage ca sur facebook. Je dois dire que je ne regrette en rien de m’être abonné à votre weblog. Bonne journée

23. Carla Stefani says:

Jennifer, you are missed, CBS cannot replace what you brought to the show.

24. Matthew says:

She should sue, so should viewers of the show. It sounds as if the people who are working for CBS are horrible people.

25. Bexx says:

Glad i’m not the only one that think all Danny Reagan’s other partners he’s had are pathetic, the working relationship between Danny & Jackie is what made me keep watching the show

26. Franklin says:

If you do not know or you think that you do not need an eye exam, ask this question to
    you: when is the last time did I check my eye. There are
    also many special discounts and offers that can
    be availed for Las Vegas Magic Show, if tickets are booked through internet.
    $23,090 – The Elegant Affair Ceremony at the Wynn Hotel & Casino.

27. Don says:

Typical big company money comes first before human health .

28. Carol Trow says:

Celiac’s Disease is REAL. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. It is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people worldwide. 2.5 million Americans are undiagnosed and are at risk for long-term health complications.

My next door neighbor has suffered from this debiliating disesase all of her life. CBS’s legal team needs to research this disease and re-evaluate their stand with regard to Jennifer Esposito’s role on Blue Bloods. B.B. has a gigantic fan base that CBS is thumbing their nose at by treating Jennifer with such heartless actions. CBS, check your own cupboards and refrigerators and see how many products you have with Wheat Gluten in them. If this happened to one of your own family members, would you treat them this way? Ketchup is a widely used product with a high content of vinegar made with Wheat Gluten!

29. Maria says:

Skip this show. Watch Jennifer now on Taxi Brooklyn. Their loss.