Homeland Recap: With Friends Like You, Who Needs Enemies of the State?

The following recap contains a major spoiler from this Sunday’s episode of Showtime’s Homeland.

This week on Homeland, Brody packed a bag, Jessica got a surprise visitor and Carrie made a new friend as she reunited with an old one. Here now, our debrief on Season 2, Episode 4.

Saul has seen the video of Brody’s confession. Carrie has seen it. Now it is Estes’ turn, and the way he reacts makes me inclined to think he isn’t the mole, though I’m by no means ruling it out. He and Saul plot their next move — to not bring in Brody yet but let him lead them to Nazir’s master plan — then debate over looping in vice president Walden. And here we have to take a tiny leap. Because I would think that as bad as it would be for the CIA to let Walden know that a terrorist come thisclose to blowing up him and his team, letting him “pal around with a jihadist” is just as gnarly. But, true, if they ultimately thwart the next terror plot, Estes looks like a hero. And it makes for a better Season 2 storyline. So they agree to put a team on Brody, including a guy Estes insists be a part of the op.

Meeting up in an off-campus space tricked out with tech, Estes eats a bit of crow as he congrats Carrie on being right all along, then introduces her to crack analyst Peter Quinn. The two circle each other throughout much of the episode, as Carrie angles to vet his credentials. Quinn meanwhile is admittedly a huge fan of Carrie’s work, and soon enough gets to see her to do some of it, when they set up a sitch where Brody sees Carrie exiting the CIA building. As hoped, Brody is visibly thrown, and it is he who makes the first move to reconnect. There is a cute moment where, at first, Carrie reminds that she is to stay away from him. Carrie then plays coy, allowing that she is “in a way” working on something, but “I have good boundaries now!” They shake hands and declare “peace,” theoretically putting those wacky crazy times behind them.

The team keeps tabs on Brody, even as he checks into a hotel. Keeping watch at night, Carrie and Quinn are mulling their next play  when barfly Brody goes to make a call — and Carrie’s cell rings. He invites her for a drink, and she seizes the opportunity to oblige. At the bar, they hint at old times — how sharing a drink together never leads anywhere good — and she “lets slip” that her new CIA gig is in the name of taking down Abu Nazir himself aka the man who “stole” eight years of Brody’s life. Brody asks Carrie about her ECT treatments, leading to an awkward bit about how honky dory such therapy is. (“Mondays and Thursday, for six weeks” — like it’s hot yoga.) When Brody calls it a night and heads to his room, Carrie fears she has been made. What to do…?

Answer: Head right upstairs after him, under the premise that Brody, that horndog, purposely blurted his room number to the barkeep. They do that flirty dance for only a half-second, though, until Carrie shocks, Quinn, Saul and I’m thinking most every viewer at home with this info dump:

CARRIE | It reeks, you know, your bulls–t…. Do I want to be friends with a demented ex-soldier who hates America, who decided that strapping on a bomb was what the answer to what ailed him, despite his daughter, his son, people who loved him in real life and not in the mind-f–k world of Abu Nazir? Who in the end didn’t have the stones to go through with it but had no problem sending me to the nuthouse? Yeah… no thanks. I don’t think I need a friend like that.

BRODY | OK. Not friends. [As everyone at home's blood turns to ice.]

CARRIE | So what are you going to do now, you going to kill me? Blame it on rough sex, maybe? How long can you get away with something like that?

BRODY | I’ve had a pretty good run so far…. I seem to be good at this, if nothing else.

CARRIE | You’re special.

BRODY | I liked you, Carrie.

CARRIE | I loved you!

And boom. A team storms the room to pin down Brody, throw a hood over his head and….?

Elsewhere in the hour:

* Jessica admits to a repentant Brody that she doesn’t trust him anymore, and if he doesn’t have anything true to say to her, he should pack a bag. As noted above, he did just that, later eliciting from Dana an eye roll and this choice snark: “Well that‘s a good sign.”

* Speaking of the Brody daughter, she finds herself (slightly) torn between not getting stoned with Zander and getting romantic VIP tours of the Washington Monument from Finn Walden.

* A liquored-up Lauder shows up at the Brody house determined to “get to the bottom of this murky s–t” surrounding Walker’s sniper gig and subsequent death. After Mike picks him up, the former unit members compare notes and conclude that Brody is possibly working for… the CIA. Sigh. But at least they’re trying, right? Plus, now that Brody’s been nabbed, what does Mike and Lauder’s storyline become? Unless, of course, Brody’s traitor status is kept on the QT as the CIA tries to retain his cover with Nazir.

What did you think of this week’s episode of Homeland? Where do you think the show goes from here, with Brody in custody?

1. K says:

For once, Carrie wasn’t on the verge of tears 24/7 lol.

2. Alichat says:

HEILIGE SCHEIßE!!!!! Where in the world do they go from here??? That is not at all what I expected. And, honestly, a part of me is annoyed with Carrie (and the writers) for going there so quickly. I mean, the op had only been going on for what….8-10 hours?? I was thinking….well rather hoping….that one of them would be able to read lips, and would translate Roya’s side of the conversation with Brody. Then there would be a takedown. Now, they’ve lost the element of surprise with Nazir. So, while I enjoyed the twist, I’m concerned this will just put the Nazir hunt back 5 steps.

But…in all fairness, I’m glad Carrie could be the one to bring Brody down and blindside him. Although, I did feel really bad for Brody throughout this ep.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

They are going to try to turn him into a double agent against Nazir. That is were it goes next I would think.

• TheBeach says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one to say out loud “Where are the CIA lip readers”? Plus they mention there were 40+ people who interacted with Brody that day, with Saul expressly endorsing racial profiling, and yet no mention of the first person he talks with at some length after his meeting who happens to be Middle-Eastern. That just didn’t appear realistic.

• Alichat says:

I also found it bothersome that Roya wasn’t listed as the potential contact. Just from her facial expressions and body language alone, they should at least check her out. But I think they were looking at people in non-government, non-high profile jobs. The three top ones they picked were a car wash attendant, cab driver, and student/blogger. I imagine they put Roya at a lower priority because of her press clearances. Still…..bad decision.

3. whoa says:

Wow at that episode!! It was totally unexpected, but amazing. I am definitely excited to see where they go from here, especially since I thought what happened tonight would take all season.

4. Liz says:

So glad they didn’t drag this out. I love that they got down and dirty from the get go. If this would have been a season of them trying to nail Brody I would have tuned out instead they made it into a season of wtf is going to happen now. Good job & nice job Carrie for holding her own against Brody and not looking week

5. Sky Lark says:

Unbelievable, I am still reeling. This is what network tv needs to give us, shorten the season and give us quality 15 ep seasons., If cable can do it why cant network tv?

• Jessie says:

Amen to this!

• Doug-H says:

The thing is, commercial TV can’t really do it the same for a couple of reasons.. Commercial breaks and standards that Premiums can ignore.. Now through 4 episodes, I haven’t seen anything that couldn’t appear on network TV on this show.. no nudity and the language has been pretty soft.. It’s companion show, Dexter, is quite the opposite.. It needs the Premium model to let Deb’s F-words fly and the topless bar nightclub ( though as proved with the A&E version of The Sopranos, that can be re-shot with bikini’s)… language on cable can be certainly saltier esp FX and AMC shows… USA dramas tend to be pretty mild in that area.. Homeland also benefits from its platform where Showtime subscribers are not locked into watching or recording it’s one airing.. I would guess that anyone who gets Showtime either on purpose or part of a multi-Premium pack that the cable companies offer will eventually watch Homeland especially since it was considered the #1 show last year…

6. DarkDefender says:

I believe the main objective will now be to get Brody to turn double.. And share intel with the CIA on Nazir.. It would also allow him to continue on with season 3.. It’s the only viable alternative to him dying or being incarcerated in the near future. They can make a deal to “out” the VP on the bombing that killed Issa (which has always been Brody’s personal agenda).. And make it known to the press when the VP doesn’t get elected as president.. That’s how I’d write it.

7. JuniorTV says:

To think that this is just the fourth episode of a twelve-episode season is incredible. I can’t imagine what happens next, but I’m dying to find out! Finally, some well deserved payback to Brody from Carrie! “You’re a traitor, and a terrorist and a disgrace.” I was clapping until my arms got tired! MAN THAT WAS GOOD!

8. Patricia says:

This is show is amazing I can’t even imagine where it will go from here they caught the bad guy already and it’s only episode four. I love it that you really have no idea where it all is heading towards

9. Holy Cow! I haven’t watched the episode, but I read recaps, and I’m already open mouthed! Can’t imagine when I actually watch it.

10. A says:

Sh*t just got real.

11. Kevin H. says:

GREAT episode! Claire Danes is an effing badass!

12. Midori004 says:

I find it amazing that the writers are moving so quickly along. However good writers ca do that I guess.

13. Cody says:

That final scene is what network shows do for season finales, I’m still shocked at how amazing this show is

14. Agone says:

I think Quinn is the mole. The voice matches the one who alerted the woman for the Arab professor to “take the beltway….”

• Samantha says:

well that can’t be true because I’m fairly certain Rupert hadn’t been cast when that was shot.

• Agone says:

Go back and listen to the voice, the voice is a close match, this guy close to Estes would also know the combination to the safe in Estes’ office and its contents…l.

• Alichat says:

They probably got someone with a pretty common sounding voice to do that call. As Samantha said, Rupert Friend had not been cast during the filming of season 1, so he couldn’t have done the voice. Plus if it was Quinn, I would be disappointed. A mole given this much screen mention should be someone we’ve seen since season 1.

• Agone says:

The first bit of the voice sounds like a robotic Siri type male voice, or Hal 9000, then it’s more human, the actor wouldnt need to be the same cast member, look at the long glances Quinn makes, he’s Estes secret spook, I’m sticking with this guess

• Samantha says:

@agone I understand, I just don’t think he’s going to be much more than a badass and a love interest for Carrie but that’s just me!

15. Stacie says:

The fact that we are only 1/4 of the way through Season 2 is astonishing. There are still so many episodes left and so much has already happened. I rarely to never watch shows Live anymore but had to watch this one as soon as it came on. Claire Danes deserves all and any awards that she could possibly be up for.
    -“I Loved You”….I mean c’mon. What a line, a what a way for them to have it come a second before the team takes him away. Really astonishing stuff. Truly the best show on TV.

16. BL says:

The only thing that I hate about Homeland is when the credits roll. Seriously, this show is nothing short of 50 minutes of pure awesomness!!! I marathoned Season 1 in like three nights right as season 2 premiered and it is so hard having to wait a week between episodes. I can’t believe that Brody was taken down so quickly. I like Quinn but I am super suspicious. Also Virgil!!! Love that guy!

• Stacie says:

Haha, I did the exact same thing. I watched all of Season 1 in the weekend prior to the premiere. But I’m so glad I caught up before this episode because Season 1 really leads right into this episode. It’s gonna be almost like a new season starting next week.

17. tvdiva says:

There is no place to go for Brody but to turn double agent. That really ratchets up the stakes for his life on the line. This show is just awesome!

18. EC says:

The best thing about this show is that things never seem to drag out just for the sake of it like so many other shows. I’m constantly thinking where will they go from here and the writers keep bringing it!

19. Jenny says:

This could one of two ways… Brody will die. Or he decides to help the CIA bring down Abu Nazir in exchange of a pardon of some sort.

I hope it’s the second one… Brody is so damn like able and him and Carrie are great!

20. Lia says:

mind blown that last scene, holy cow!

21. Polly says:

holy guacamole!
    what an ending!
    i was laughing so hard when the new guy tells her that “she’s wrong, she hasn’t been made”, because you know, she were so wrong the first time :D

22. K. says:

This show is awesome – the last scene was amazing. Claire Danes and Damian Lewis are lock for the next year’s Emmy. His expression when she said I loved you was dead on – makes you wonder what would have happened if the team had not gone in.

Also – I was glad to see Virgil because he can bring levity to the show to break up the drama.

• TLO says:

Did anyone watch the Showtime debrief after the episode? There’s a very quick clip that was not shown during the episode where it looks like Brody was slowly reaching out to caress Carrie’s face and kiss her after she told him she loved him. But Carrie angrily slapped his hand away with a vengeance before he could touch her face! This must have happened in the nanosecond after she said “I loved you” but before the CIA team closed in. I really think Brody wanted to kiss her, not kill her! Don’t know why they deleted this very powerful scene from the episode but showed it during the debrief? Talk about WTF.

23. Kim R says:

Holy Moley! (moley…get it?? :) ) What a great episode. The writers are so good on this show that I’m excited to see how they play out the rest of the season. They haven’t let us down yet! :)

24. Whatever says:

Looks like Brody will be a Double Agent after a well deserved beat down from Carrie & the CIA.
    Estes & Saul know about VP Walden’s involvement in the drone attack that killed 83 children , so they pretty much own him if need be.
    He couldn’t run for office if that little tid bit ever surfaced.
    Carrie eventually running Brody as a Double Agent will be fun to watch. Karma is a b*tch.

25. Jenn says:

LOVED this episode, but I have one question…I re-watched the episode where Brody records that video from start to finish. Not once does he mention strapping on a bomb and blowing up the vice-president. So how did Saul know that’s what Brody was referring to in the video?

26. Gustan96 says:

Question: how does the video card end up in beruit anyway ? In the S1 finale, Brody makes it and drops it off in the stone wall. When he goes to retrieve it later, it’s gone, picked up by whomever left mark 2 (presumably walker). So if it’s on Walker’s person then, how does it end up in Beruit in possession of Carrie’s contact ???

27. Britta Unfiltered says:

Great episode, but like many others, I wonder where it can go from here. The kind of stuff they are doing is series finale stuff. But I trust them. I’m sure the rest of the season will be great. Things will sure be complicated for Brody to be a double agent. I am bothered though because I think it is moving a bit too quickly. I would like to have seen Carrie and Brody play cat and mouse for a couple more episodes, and I would like to have seen Carrie go through a battle with herself of fighting her feelings for him and knowing the right thing to do is take him down.
    I wonder if this was the episode they teased as being similar to The Weekend? I hope not, because it really wasn’t that similar.

28. Samantha says:

Am I the only person picking up weird vibes between Walden and his son?

• Bethany says:

No! The shoulder rubbing was giving me and it appeared Finn the icks. He seemed very uncomfortable around his dad.

• Samantha says:

Glad I’m not alone. He didn’t seem to want to be touched by him so it made me think something deeper was going on. I’m surprised we seem to be the only two who picked up on it because I’m usually pretty clueless haha!

29. kayla says:

homeland just gets better and better.. But i really do wonder where they are going with the story..i hope they keep us interested ! because it is a really good show and i dont want it to lose its viewers :(

30. Q says:

Brody will say he was forced to make that video when he was first captured

• Midori004 says:

Problem is in the video he says why he is doing it, for the drone attack that killed 83 people. That didn’t happen until years after he was captured. But it would be smart if he tried that as an excuse.

31. In our review, we honestly couldn’t believe that they went through with it. Every single episode feels like a season finale because they keep pulling out all the stops!

Love the chemistry between Brody and Carrie, but also intrigued by new CIA Analyst Quinn, who we guess we may not see again since the op is dunso.

32. JJ says:

Carrie is dreaming whilst still in electroconvulsive therapy………….the writers have duped us! She’ll wake up to find Brody has been elected as a Congressman and all her fears will be realised….then teh wrires will take us through the rollercoaster again!

33. Beth says:

This reminded me of the weekend ep last season. Carrie laid all her cards on the table and the show got so much more intense after! I almost saw a tinge of relief in Brody’s face when she confronted him. I agree that he will be a double agent and the trade will be taking the veep down for the drone attack.

34. TLO says:

35. Jason says:

Quinn is the mole. Loves Indian food. Hesitated when he saw Brody praying. He’s good at infiltrating the CIA, acting the part. Got everyone fooled… Hope to see how this plays out in Season 3…