Switched at Birth Finale Brings a 'Surprising' Cliffhanger! Plus, Is There Hope for Bay/Emmett?

Switched at Birth JUSTIN BRUENING, KATIE LECLERCAs Switched at Birth wraps up Season 1 on Monday (ABC Family, 8/7c), several relationships will be put to the test. Daphne faces the fallout from her new romance, while a glimmer of hope lingers for a reconciliation between Bay and Emmett — if she can avoid getting attacked by a violent street artist. Below, executive producer Lizzy Weiss previews the finale’s myriad entanglements, dangerous situations and shocking cliffhangers.

RELATED | ABC Family Orders More Bunheads, Renews Switched at Birth and 2 Others, Cancels Jane

THE KITCHEN HEATS UP | “Every relationship that Daphne’s ever had, she has been chased. She has been adored,” says Weiss. With Chef Jeff, “this is the first time that she has absolutely fallen head over heels and she has done the chasing.” But when Daphne put herself on the line like that with her boss, she also exposed her heart and risked getting hurt. As much as the two might like each other, they are only good together “when they’re absolutely alone in each other’s company,” points out the EP. “[But] you can’t exist in a relationship in a bubble. The real world and friends and family and work do have to enter into it.” As Daphne and Jeff’s romance reaches a boiling point, “we play it for real,” adds Weiss. “We play consequences. We play people being uncomfortable with it. We just play with Daphne out of her comfort zone and making choices that are not wise.”

ON THE STREETS | As you can see in our exclusive video preview, Bay and Zarra’s confrontation with street artist Smak will come back to haunt the girls. “There is still some looming danger with Smak, and Zarra did something not too wise by coming at that guy,” maintains Weiss. “We wanted to give Bay a friend who didn’t always make the wisest choices, but she’s sort of seduced by Zarra.” Meanwhile, the Kennishes will be dealing with the aftermath of their daughter’s decision to leave home and move in with her troublemaker pal. “Katherine just wants to get her home,” previews Weiss. “Her attempt to get her home is in that more maternal way whereas John is taking up the tougher parental stance of, ‘If you come back, you’re coming back on my terms.’”

RELATED | ABC Family’s Secret Life to End After Season 5

BAY AND EMMETT: TAKE TWO? | Should viewers interpret Emmett’s words in the last episode – “I don’t give up” – as a hint of things to come for him and his ex-girlfriend? “We keep that torch alive. Emmett adores Bay and feels like they’re meant to be,” says Weiss. But when it comes to a reunion, it’s not as simple as a sweeping declaration. “They have other issues besides just the Simone transgression. It’s not an easy return. But Emmett will always hold that torch for Bay.” And for fans of the couple who are still holding out hope, Weiss reveals that the exes will cross paths in a “really surprising, lovely way” in the season ender.

GOING OUT WITH A BANG | Make sure to add a buffer to your DVR’s recording because you don’t want to miss the episode’s final minutes. “It’s both a resolution and a new beginning and a cliffhanger all at once,” teases Weiss. “There is a verdict in the trial, and the verdict does shake some things up for the family. We have a surprising last moment.”

1. Omar says:

I really like this show, specially Emmett, Daphne and Regina

2. Shey says:

I love Emmett and Bay together!!!

3. sammy says:

Bay seems to be more into Zarra than she ever was with Emmett. I wish they would take Bays character in that direction and let her experiment.

• Danielle says:

I’d also like to see Emmett try something new before they get back together (because they should get back together eventually!) How about that cool biker girl??

4. Shaun says:

How is this still season 1?

5. Lena120 says:

Bay is extremely annoying to me this time around. She continues to make one dumb decision after another. She’s just a pain to watch. I’m not really interested in her story anymore.

6. Ana says:

I love this show and I think it is outstanding that they are bringing such attention to the deaf community. But I do find the relationship between Daphne and Chef to be deeply disturbing. She’s a minor. I keep waiting for this to be addressed in the show. Like someone is going to come to their senses and say, hey, this is illegal and we don’t condone it. But it looks like that’s not going to happen. So this is the message that ABC wants to put out? That it’s ok for older men to pursue underage girls? I am disturbed by this and I’m still hoping that they will do a course correction because I love the premise of this show and I want to continue watching. On another note, I don’t really like Bay with Emmett. His ‘slip up’ with Simone came too easily. Bay should be with someone that respects and values her and Emmett should be with someone that will help him grow up.

• Rissa says:

It’s the same thing with Aria and Ezra on PLL. Its the “forbidden love” aspect of it that makes it so exciting. Now that it’s publicly acceptable for Aria and Ezra to be together they’ve kind of dulled as a couple. But when the show was first introduced they were everyone’s favorite couple because it was exciting and exhilarating that it was “forbidden.” I think they are trying to do the same thing here to excite Daphne’s character because people were really starting to dislike her as a character last season. (Well partial season. Not season but you know what I mean,) I love Bay and Emmett together because of what it brought out in them as characters. Without each other they are kind of obnoxious as characters.

• Linda says:

I understand your concerns but the age of consent is 16. She may not be old enough to drink, but Daphne is old enough to have sex as an adult with an adult.

• tp says:

Age of consent is different in every state. For instance out here in California it’s 18. In Idaho it’s 14. In this case it’s 17. Basically she’s still a consenting “adult”. It’s wrong but legal.*shrug*

7. anna says:

First of all bay and emmett belong together, they are todays modern version of romeo and juliet or elizabeth and mr darcy(pridr and prejudice), theyre amazing together. I love daphne and jeff together, yes hes older but theyre good together and for eachother..and katherine ..well what about that unexplored connection with her lawyer? And id like to see angelo with regina or even katherine. Also toby with the new blonde girl, her name escapes me at the moment…and bring wilke back! A good couple might be travis and simone. Theyre total opposites but hey opposites attract lol.

8. Lindsay says:

I think the verdict is going to “unswitch” the girls and legal rights will revert to the biological parent.

9. Helen says:

i wonder who that pregnant lady looking for Angelo is?? I guess trouble LOL

10. Ricky says:

Angelo is going to be splitting his 5 million dollars everywhere he turns with this new lady and the baby if it is his. Bay should let emmett go she don’t need him. And daphne ( my favorite character ) is a good girl turning bad.

11. Gaya says:

Ugh I want Bay and Emmett to have sex.

12. Michaela says:

Ok, I want Angelo to leave!!! I hate him and he’s worthless (go raise that other baby)! Regina needs to find somone else (not the one she dated before Angelo)! Angelo is not cable to wipe her feet on! He will end up messing Bay and Daphne lives up again. Sure, I loved Regina marrying him to help Bay (it showed her motherly love for Bay) but, he will not end up helping her in the long run! Ok, to get to Toby. Why did he take advice from Emmett to do with Nikki?!?! Emmett’s one to be talking about not worrying about cheating! I would love for Bay and Emmett to get back together but I have liked the fact that she’s made him work for it. I have read on several different websites that they will get back together on the first episode of season 2 (can’t wait)! Daphne, oh that poor confused girl! I was sorry to watch her heartbreak but goodness sake she had in coming with Jeff. She NEEDS Travis!!! Now, Simone just make her dissapear. And break Wilke back!!!!!!:) I LOVE SWITCHED AT BIRTH!!!!! :):)

13. Anna Mladentseva says:

OMG I just heard that Regina switched Bay and Daphne on purpose so Bay will grow up in a wealthy family?!? And OMG plsssss bay and emmett get together again I beg u for Christ sake! But I think they will in season 2 and I just can’t wait! I’m from Russia and this show doesn’t run in here so I have to watch everything in Internet and it’s driving me crazy when will I see season 2 T.T. ?!!?! Alex just go away! And I feel bad for Simone….Jeff seems too light about Daphne…but they are still so sexy together! And poor Travis!!! Maybe he could be together with that Biker Girl Emmett and Daphne met?