Community Crisis: Chevy Chase Drops N-Word On Set, Production Halted as He Issues Apology

Another controversy is rocking Community.

Multiple sources confirm to TVLine that Chevy Chase dropped the N-word on the set of the NBC comedy Friday afternoon in the presence of his African-American co-stars Yvette Nicole Brown and Donald Glover. According to an insider, the acting vet was struggling with his character’s dialogue and, in a moment of frustration, uttered the racial epithet.

The slur was not directed at Brown and Glover specifically, maintains another source close to the production, who adds that Chase has grown increasingly unhappy with the dark direction of his character, the bigoted Pierce Hawthorne. But it nonetheless caused enough of a stir to briefly interrupt production. Chase eventually summoned the cast and crew together to issue a formal apology.

An NBC spokesperson and reps for Chase declined to comment. Emails to Sony, which produces Community, were not returned.

This is the second Community-related controversy that Chase has found himself at the center of. At the end of last season, he was embroiled in a rather public showdown with series creator Dan Harmon, prompting many to wonder if Chase’s days at Greendale were numbered. Ultimately, it was Harmon who was ousted (but allegedly not due to his feud with Chase).

Coincidentally, the incident took place on the same day NBC originally planned to premiere the show’s fourth season. Earlier this month, the network announced that it was delaying the show’s return for scheduling reasons.

1. Agent P says:

The N-word is ‘unacceptable’ – to whom…? Are you holding candlelight vigils in front of major record label houses, whose star ‘rap artists’ are calling each other ‘Nigga’ in damned near every line…? You are the same people who are mouthing these very same lyrics in your car while driving… Get a grip on reality.

2. charlie says:

where would blacks be today absent the gains achieved through slavery?

3. Mister says:

reggiN? It’s my constitutional right to say it WHENEVER I WANT…Go to heII s’reggiN. Go smoke your crack and kill your babies and steal, shoplift, sell drugs and NEVER TIP like always…

4. Whenever a liberal utters the “N” word, somewhere a fairy dies…….

5. Mustafa G. Goldstein Jr says:

I heard he said….you two N$%$s stop laughing at me just because I a F^^&% up my lines,

6. Mustafa G. Goldstein Jr says:

Ni@@er is the new term of endearment if you believe what ni@@ers like snoop dog and other ignorant Ni@@ers like them say. Most respectable blacks don’t agree with such fools.

7. edward says:

So a white man utters the “N” word and it is considered offensive, however a RAP groups use the “N” word incessantly and it is considered “art”. PLEASE!

8. Alex says:

This is a fundamentally flawed and fundamentally RIDICULOUS article.

Biased.

Innaccurate.

Spins the truth.

******************

TRUTH: Chevy was protesting AGAINST THE INCREASINGLY EXTREME BIGOTRY of his character and as part of this protest said (AND I QUOTE FROM DEADLINE.COM)…

…”After getting fed more lines he found offensive during a scene yesterday, I hear he snapped and launched the tirade, airing his frustration and suggesting that the way things with Pierce are going, he may next be asked to call Troy (Glover) or Shirley (Brown) the N-Word. I hear the outburst upset the cast. Chase later apologized.”…

– NOTHING RACIST
    – NOTHING BIGOTTED
    – Actually ANTI-racist (protesting his character’s bigotry/racism)
    – Absolutely no mention of production being halted.
    – By saying “in a moment of frustration, [he] uttered the racial epithet” you PURPOSELY insinuate that his true racist nature BURST FORTH at a moment of weakness, rather than what actually happened – THE EXACT OPPOSITE! – His true ANTI-RACIST nature bursting forth to protest at the ridiculous extremes to which is characters bigotry was being taken.

In actuality, he was right to protest the extreme, non-realistic bigotry of his character, since portrayals of such characters allow media like TVline to continue to run the HORRIBLE RACIST WHITE RACIST HETEROSEUXAL WHITE RACIST HORRIBLE OMG RACIST WHITE OLD MAN WHITE HETEROSEXUAL WHITE MAN OLD WHITE MAN RACIST narrative in ridiculous articles like this one, unchecked.
    Reprehensible.

You’ve lost one daily visitor as a result of revealing your anti-white, anti-straight-man bias.

Sincerely,

Person for truth and fairness in media.

9. I am constantly hearing the problem with the so called n word and am sick of it. there is no such thing as a black only work and as i as a white person have to endure disparaging slurs all the time but if i say anything i am a racist. so to hell with them all and chevy chase is stupid for saying he is sorry. until the scum rappers and all others regardless of color stop using it as an exclusive word i will continue top use it without apology to anybody. people need to get a life…..

10. Rich says:

That show would be a waste of time without Chevy Chase. Chevy is the best thing about that show.

11. joe35 says:

This show is still on the air? Wow. I couldn’t make it past the first two episodes, and I’ve heard nobody talk about it since the first season. I thought it was long gone.

12. all non-Black people still think they’re better than Black folks, he no different.

13. Chevy Chase knows better. He knows better than to make such a scurrilous comment about Jews, Hispanics, Asians, or Italians. Why is it that anything goes with Black Americans; anything can be said or sterotyped against them through all forms of media. Commericals on TV make us look like idiots (adults hyper-excited over a McDonalds, or Burger King sandwich – jumping and dancing around like fools), Black men in all media, even catalogs, never seen embracing a Black Women, or children who do not look Black, but Latino, Asian or Bi-racial. These things are insulting to Blacks, while the other groups mentioned, are paired with like races in family “portraits.” The media is always trying to either insult us by attacking our self esteem, making us look like bafoons as Black Americans, unlike other ethnic groups, or trying to split us up as a Black ethnic group, as though Black people are not together on any level. Fire Chevy Chase and others like him that INSULT Black Americans, who are more American that most Americans from other places living in America today. Don’t give those Bigots a platform to insult Blacks!

14. hydee says:

I always imagined him using that word, so I’m not surprised, I am surprised that it took him so long.

15. linda329 says:

I’ve made $64,000 so far this year working online and I’m a full time student. Im using an online business opportunity I heard about and I’ve made such great money. It’s really user friendly and I’m just so happy that I what I found out about it. Heres do, Be84.comCHECK IT OUT

16. Caligula says:

Seriously? Over one stupid word? Haven’t we “evolved” past the ability of “words” supposedly causing SOOOOOOOOOOOO much hurt??? Give me a break already and get over stupid little words being so important. Actions speak WAY louder than words.

• rylandstewart says:

These “stupid words” as you put it are only stupid because they are not being directed at you. You wouldn’t be so casual if you were a person of color and that “N” word was said around you or directed at you. I hate it when people like you try to reduce others feelings or hurts to nothing because you weren’t hurt by these words. As far as action speaking louder than words, using this word has caused many a white person to go into action and kill black people just for being black. Is that the kind of action you were speaking of?

17. Ohio Ani says:

I do not like any nasty slurs about anyones ethnictisity. However this is the real word and everyone sometimes inb their life has slipped, made a joke or has said something to offend someone else. Is its life. Although we all (Or most..I sure hope) try not to behave in this kind of matter, it does happen. People, wake up. We are of just one race….HUMAN. I am of light skin and people should not be judged be the tint of the skin. PERIOD. No ifs ands or buts.

18. Jay Poynte says:

If Chevy’s job on the show is “bigoted Pierce Hawthorne” and he was working ‘in character’ then it’s understandable how he would be in the prejudiced mindset which would easily use the N word, and often. He’s paid to do that. It’s called acting. To portray a true bigot one would have to cross the hatred line with not just actions but language. That’s how we know who they are. If it was said within that context…then those offended are unprofessional and immature. Chevy is old school and been around a long time. He’s a pro and a very smart guy…smart enough to not be a REAL bigot.

19. tw says:

Hey, “Homeboy”, “HomeSlice” “WhiteBread” and “HonkyMoFo” are still okay though right ? How about dumpin’ this “PC” bull sh%t !!! Thank you, thank you very much !!!

20. rylandstewart says:

Don’t use frustration as an excuse to use the “N” word or to cast slurs on gays. If these thoughts weren’t already in you, you wouldn’t utter them outloud. These commediens and others think they can just say anything and then hide behind an apology. NOT. Maybe it’s time to put this idiot out to pasture.

21. story says:

There was a commotion on the set of NBC comedy Community yesterday. I hear hot-tempered co-star Chevy Chase had another outburst, this time featuring the N-word. It appears that the tirade was not addressed at Black cast members Donald Glover or Yvette Nicole Brown. People close to the situation say that Chase had been increasingly frustrated and uncomfortable with the direction of his character, Pierce, who is a bigot. After getting fed more lines he found offensive during a scene yesterday, I hear he snapped and launched the tirade, airing his frustration and suggesting that the way things with Pierce are going, he may next be asked to call Troy (Glover) or Shirley (Brown) the N-Word. I hear the outburst upset the cast. Chase later apologized. The racial content of his tirade does appear out of character for Chase, who once marched in the civil rights movement, but the blowup itself is not. Chase is known for having a short fuse and storming off the set of Community in the middle of a scene if he is not happy with the script. His feud with show’s creator/former showrunner Dan Harmon last year escalated into a profanity-laced message Chase left on Harmon’s voice mail.

22. mia says:

Chase is bitter because no one finds him interesting or funny.He is a waste of space and is probably a biggot since he can slip out that n-word so unnecessarily .

23. Canadian-JBS says:

Who the hell cares? It’s just a word; people say it all the time.
    This is a non-story about a pointless television that should’ve been cancelled already.

24. Seven Brown says:

It has gotten to the point to have to apologize to use the “N” word has gone too far, what about all the terms that have been used for years openly against every race there is. Not only that, but, blacks use that term more than anyone else.

25. Nadja says:

Chevy Chase is a liberal Democrat; it isn’t like he is some racist Republican. Everyone should know that.

26. Bruce says:

Pretty scary that most of these posts I’m reading don’t even remember Chevy as one of SNL’s original Not Ready For Prime Time Players. But most importantly….the use of that word is NOT okay, and it never will be. It was the last word spoken to murder victims they were excuted by lynchings, gunshots, baseball bats, and fists. It wasn’t okay then, and it’s not certainly not okay now with the hip-hop community and others of color who use it as some crazy badge of identity. There is no place in this world for cruel and vicious slurs against anyone’s ethnicity, religion, & sexual orientation. There can never be any excuse for using those hate-filled, derogatory terms under any circumstance, and there should never be any tolerance or acceptance of their use. We are a very sad society to still be having these types of debates and misunderstandings in the year 2012.

27. Robby says:

Yep, that’s a Liberal for you. Racist to the core, but what else is new?

28. tvdiva says:

This article differs from the ones written on other entertainment web sites. Other articles state that Chevy Chase was upset with his continuing racist dialogue and said it would not be long before they would ask him to say the ‘n’ word – NOT that he said the ‘n’ word in disgust or anger. So I am curious as to what really happened – what is reported here, or what has been reported on all the other entertainment sites.

29. No one cares people are just saying what they have wanted to say since Obongo lied his way into the Presidency.

30. HKM says:

DR sPLEEN, REPLY, SAYS IT THE RIGHT WAY. THATS IT. READ IT, ITS CLOSE TO THE START OF THIS.. H K M

31. Joe Drager says:

Stop eating gluten and go back to work.

32. Seeder says:

Jeez, it always astounds me when people I think would know better do something stupid as this. I understand frustration, but of all the words that suggest themselves to me in the moment of blowing up, the n-word has never been anywhere among them. I don’t understand how it would be among the words to suggest themselves to Chase, ho has been in the business for 40 years. I always knew he was a jerk, this is just another confirmation.

33. Bob says:

Oh, suuurrrre, Chase wasn’t responsible for getting Harmon ousted. Suuurrrre, Chase just happened to shout out the ‘N’ word in front of his African-American co-stars and it wasn’t directed towards them. It was just the first word he thought of in his frustration with his character. I know that’s ALWAYS the first word that pops into my head when I’m frustrated. It’s Obama’s fault.

34. pierre says:

America need to really take a good look at actors and actresses that we support on T.V. We really do not know their “true beliefs and hatrages”! If America would have known that Chevy Chase is a racist, who hide those beliefs for so long without being detected his whole career, he would have been outcasted then. Unfortunately, this racist made millions of dollars carrying the title of “americas favorite family” (Dad). Kramer, Kelsey Grammer, Mel Gipson, Chase, David Duke, KKK, Republicans, Tea Party, Hitler, etc. Thank God their days have been and are numbered !!

35. Josh says:

I’ve listened to a few of Donald Glover’s rap songs and I was completely disappointed. He drops the N word several times. Standard gangsta tough-talk. I expected more out of him, based on his non-stereotypical character roles. The double standard ridiculous. I get it, there’s context, but it’s as if there’s only context when a black person says it.

36. tchris says:

After all these years we still can’t get called black PEOPLE. I’m so sick of reading blacks

37. Orange Jones says:

its sad that this story -the full story, isn’t being told. He was using the word in the context of a hypo-as in “what is next for my character, how far are you gong to let him go in being a racist”-and so in that hypothetical situation, he was lamenting having to say the word.

How this is at all a controversy-and to be clear, I’m Black-but how this is a controversial statement, I’m totally unsure

38. Asashii says:

everyone knows chevy chase and his name i cant name one other person on that show, nobody knows their names, and freedom of speech is dead for white folks be carefull what you say or the negros’ will come and get you !!!

39. TPETERSON says:

All infidels must DIE!

40. Mandy says:

I hope they are sorry they got rid of Dan Harmon, instead of Chevy Chase.
    I don’t even like Pierce and his character is rarely funny.
    He is going to cause this show to get cancelled. He is ungrateful and not funny. Cut him loose.

41. victor vivid says:

To be honest I like chevy, and his character appeals to my grandmother when its our comedy night.. as far as the word choice goes, I have a question.. would anyone find it racist if Donald Glover used the word…? most I’m sure said no others were silent lol.. how about another scenario.. would anyone take offence if Chase were to say honky?.. I’m sure the results were the same as my previous question… well to answer for those who were silent.. no! i myself highly doubt it, and why? i believe thats due to the fact that blacks associate them selves with such a derogatory term, which is quite shameful not as a human though as a man, and or woman, who claims to have respect for ones self.. i am black, i also have heard the term, though to be honest i laugh and say it back, because most people who use it are in fact uneducated… the word was used by ignorant people to bring down those who were illiterate lol.. seriously you cant help but laugh at the impact this word has today, i myself am watching the group play a video game for Pierce’s inheritance against his black brother, who was fathered by the very racist Hawthorne SR. lol.. one character can not kill a show, so laugh more and for the love of any and all that is holy, stop letting the use of a word define you as a person… I myself would take more offense to…. lets say an alien calling me “an poor excuse for carbon based life form” lol

42. Bailey Babbs says:

Dump Chevy, bring back Dan Harmon.

43. michael says:

wow,bunch of haters,love chevy,people make mistakes,hes only reason i watch the community,what the worlds coming to bunch of hate mongering going on,everybody gets there chance to be haters,internet making me sick,all i see is hate,anger,smut,these articles come out people comment and comes off as cyber bullying to me,get a life people,