TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Castle, Supernatural, Revenge, Covert Affairs and More!

Who rocks more than TVLiners? Nobody! And you proved that by responding to our first TVLine Mixtape post with an overwhelmingly enthusiastic request for more TV tunes.

You ask, we deliver. Or, to paraphrase Elton John: Our mixtape is our song, and this one’s for you.

Here are some more great songs from recent TV episodes, complete with artist and album information in case you want to add them to your permanent collection.

You know the drill, but just in case, a reminder: Spoilers abound, and we chose songs we liked – but we always want to hear your thoughts and suggestions. So peruse our TVLine Mixtape playlist, and then hit the comments with your favorite TV jams!

SERIES AND EPISODE | Supernatural, “We Need to Talk About Kevin”
TITLE | “Man in the Wilderness”
ARTIST | Styx
ALBUM | The Grand Illusion (1977)
WHY IT ROCKED | We might’ve gone with Rush’s “Roll the Bones” (get it?!) for Dean’s road trip/Benny-re-embodiment excursion, but this Styx classic was a worthy choice, too.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Revenge, “Resurrection”
TITLE | “Never Tear Us Apart”
ARTIST | INXS
ALBUM | Kick (1987)
WHY IT ROCKED | In a flashback, Kara Clarke rocks out to the instrumental breaks while her towheaded daughter – already suspicious, even back then — wonders why Daddy isn’t accompanying them on “vacation.”

SERIES AND EPISODE | Chicago Fire, “Pilot”
TITLE | “Blood Brothers”
ARTIST | Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
ALBUM | Blood Brothers EP (1996); also available on Bruce Springsteen: Greatest Hits (1995)
WHY IT ROCKED | The members of Firehouse 51 don’t say much as they sit vigil at the hospital for the wounded Herrmann, but they don’t have to. This quiet song – as well as the quarter-inch guy nods that Severide and Casey exchange — speak volumes.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Nashville, “Pilot”
TITLE | “If I Didn’t Know Better”
ARTIST | Scarlett and Gunnar (aka Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio)
ALBUM | N/A, though the single is available via iTunes
WHY IT ROCKED | We wore out the rewind button on our DVR remotes listening as so much stuff – Juliette’s dismissal of one guy for another who might help her climb higher, Scarlett and Gunnar’s first collaboration, Rayna’s possible career revival – was summed up in the hauntingly simple melody.
LINER NOTES | As much as we want to give ScarGun their due, in real life, the song was written by The Civil Wars’ John Paul White and Arum Rae.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Covert Affairs, “Glass Spider”
TITLE | “The Blower’s Daughter”
ARTIST | Scala & Kolacny Brothers
ALBUM | One Winged Angel (2007)
WHY IT ROCKED | Everything in Annie’s life is even more topsy-turvy than usual – and that’s really saying something – but when Simon arrives at her home and asks her to leave with him, this song plays in the few quiet moments she spends packing her things. Then Lena shows up and, well, you know the rest. Sniff.
LINER NOTES | This version of the song is a cover; the original was written and recorded by Damien Rice.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Castle, “Murder, He Wrote”
TITLE | “Longing to Belong”
ARTIST | Eddie Vedder
ALBUM | Ukelele Songs (2011)
WHY IT ROCKED | Once that giant screensaver clock ticks 5 pm, Beckett and Castle are off to the Hamptons for what they think is going to be a weekend of uninterrupted nookie. A while before the dead guy in the pool and the inept local police gum up the works, this lovely tune provides the soundtrack to the secret couple’s road trip and arrival at Castle’s palatial vacation home.

SERIES AND EPISODE | American Horror Story: Asylum, “Welcome to Briarcliff”
TITLE | “There Goes My Baby”
ARTIST | The Drifters
ALBUM | Up On The Roof: The Best of the Drifters (1963)
WHY IT ROCKED | Oh Bloody Face Kit, your afterhours singalong at the garage and your sweet pre-dinner appetizer with Alma may be the only good things that happen to you this season.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Switched at Birth, “The Trial”
TITLE | “Re-Arrange Again”
ARTIST | Erin McCarley
ALBUM | My Stadium Electric (2012)
WHY IT ROCKED | Bay’s big fight with her parents sends her to Zarra’s trailer, with this mournful tune streaming along in her wake. It’ll be OK, Bay!
LINER NOTES | The video clip below is of a live version of the song; the studio version is available on the album.

1. Baz says:

christian thinking about you leverage season 3 episode 6, Awesome!!!

2. MLO says:

Without a doubt, Supernatural has the best music of any TV show. Buffy used to be right up there, too.

• heather_kaye says:

I’m oh-so-very glad they’re returning to using “real” music – when I watched the first three seasons (late to the party) that was what kept me watching. I knew that if they were licensing the good stuff, there must be something to it!

(And before that offends anyone, know that I think the early seasons are particularly well-written, and that both of the leads are fine and more-than-capable actors.)

3. filipe says:

i think that seven devils from “reckoning”, revenge, should be on the next one

4. Juan says:

Thank you for putting that Invreadible song from Nashville, I’ve been listening to it ever since I heard it, also love Erin mccarley, very talented

5. I was wondering about a tune in Supernatural. There’s a music in the second episode of this season, when they pull up next to the pawn shop (with the sweet red car). Is it a song or an original score for the show?

• Alan says:

that stock music which is supposed to sound like rock music if i remember the scene correctly, that music has been in use since very early season 1. it was composed to fill in the sections where music was needed but it would cost too much because it would be only a few seconds of airtime

6. Rita says:

“If I Didn’t Know Better” was by The Civil Wars.

• ktbanks says:

Yep! I caught myself singing along during my first viewing of the pilot, and then it dawned on me where I knew it from. Gotta love the “Live from Eddie’s Attic” album!

7. omabin says:

guys thanks so much for doing this. i love it. please keep on doing it.

8. Becks says:

I’ve been listening to the Eddie Vedder one all week. Great song, and perfect choice for that scene!

9. Jane says:

The use of “Man in the Wilderness” over Dean’s journey to Benny’s grave made the scene one of my favourite music moments on Supernatural to date. Such a great song used so well. I swear over the past seven seasons Supernatural has made the best use of music on television.

10. JKR says:

If I Didn’t Know Better by the Civil Wars is available from their website as part of the Live at Eddie’s Attic free download.

11. mdaily says:

Thanks for this great column. Your description and identification of the soundtrack evoked again that powerful scene from Covert Affairs (one of the better CA episodes thus far), so I went ahead and purchased the song from iTunes.

12. Pocki says:

Bruce Springsteen is my very favourite artist and I was so surprised when Blood Brothers started playing at the end of that Chicago Fire pilot. Such a good and moving song. So incredibly fitting. For me it lifted that pilot, and it was a great way to set the tone in a way.

13. GKguy says:

How can this be the best without Revolution’s ‘I Heard It Through The Grapevine’ by Marvin Gaye!!! Like seriously!! That is the best of the entire season till now!
    Supernatural is finally going back to the music that defines the show. I’d have picked the Dean-Benny awesome song ‘Roll the Bones’ for this list.
    Nashville, AHS: Asylum and Castle all used good music as well.

14. maryploppins says:

NICE my suggestion made it in! (Covert Affairs “Glass Spider”). Great episode, great scene and they are having a great season too (season 3).

15. Krithika says:

Thanks so much for including Castle!

16. Linda says:

Renegade, Carry On Wayward Son, Don’t Fear the Reaper, Back In Black, [ASIA]…plus many, many more, Supernatural has the best overall music (there were some iffy seasons but it looks like it’s back). These are songs now that everytime I hear them, I think of Supernatural.

17. Ben says:

I think Sons of Anarchy has one of the best ongoing soundtracks on television.

18. RGNYC says:

Thank you for posting this fantastic mixtape! Blood brothers was a pleasant suprise for sure. While I did not see Nashville that song is awesome. Glad to have rock music back on Supernatural–the best show on tv!

19. Jason says:

Nothing gives me chills like a Supernatural montage cut to “Carry on my wayward son, there’ll be peace when you are done. Lay your weary head to rest…don’t you cry no more……..AOUUUUU!!”

20. Emgee says:

In this past Sunday’s “Revenge” I loved hearing Damien Jurado’s “Everything Trying” which I first heard in the “House” season 7 episode “Recession Proof.”

21. EC says:

I much prefer the Damien Rice version of Blower’s Daughter

22. GeeMa says:

Love the songs from Supernatural. Tops are Carry on Wayward Son and You Shook Me all Night Long. Always think of the show when I hear them.

23. Miranda says:

You made a mistake, name-wise, on Revenge’s song. It’s Kara Clarke, or at least was. She’s Amanda’s mother, not the identity Amanda took over as Emily Thorne.