Shonda Rhimes Announces Private Practice End Date, Calls Decision 'Heartbreaking'

The doctors are out.

Ending five months of speculation, ever since ABC renewed Private Practice for just a 13-episode Season 6, Shonda Rhimes on Friday evening announced online that the show will not continue beyond that point.

Traditionally, the 13th episode of any Private Practice season airs during the first week of February. This season’s Episode 13 was also to mark series lead Kate Walsh’s exit from the Grey’s Anatomy spin-off.

RELATED | A ‘Happy Ending’ for Private Practice‘s Addison! But Will the Show Go On Without Her?

Rhimes’ full statement is below:

I’m sad to say that Private Practice‘s run will end after episode 613 this season. There was a lot of discussion and debate but, in the end, the guys at the network and the studio and I all decided that Private Practice was reaching its finish line.

Creatively, we are all extremely proud of the show and especially proud of this season — which you will all soon discover is a creative renaissance. I can’t wait for you to see it.

It’s heartbreaking to end. Truly. I feel so lucky to write for these characters and tell these stories and I truly feel this show has taught me so much as a writer. And there’s a family here, of crew and cast, people who have bonded over these past five-and-a-half seasons. It’s rare for a show to go for more than 100 episodes and we are incredibly proud to have been such a show. And we’re grateful to all of you for spending time with us for an hour every week for the last six years. It’s meant the world.

On the heels of recently marking its 100th episode, Private Practice will use much of its remaining run to present character-centric episodes told from the specific POV of, say, Sam, or Addison (tentatively set to air Nov. 13).

Private Practice‘s end frees up room on ABC’s slate for any of its midseason hour-longs, including Body of Proof Season 3 and the new dramas Mistresses, Red Widow and Zero Hour.

1. Joe says:

And pp was a time slot hit the moved it from behind greys to tues and ratings fell

2. Erin says:

I am so disappointed that private practice is ending I dedicate every Tuesday night to this show it really tells stories about what life is really about and my favorite characters are Charlotte and Cooper there is so many reality shows on now a days and it disgusts me private practice should have not been cancelled

3. Nancy says:

Heartbreaking? Really Shonda? You seem to have given up on PP years ago. And she all but admitted that Scandal is all she cares about so whatever.

4. SheenA says:

OMG i cant believe it ! say it ain’T SO ! I feel like am going through a break up right now, PP IS AWESOME !!! there’s so much more that could be explored within the show, shonda if u need more creative input , call m e ,lol am soo hurt right now, i do agree with some of the other posts i sometimes look foward to PP INSTEAD of grey’s ,sigh soo hurt right now smh

5. broken hearted says:

Im upset because I saw one episode by mistake and it happened to be a rerun of the spin show from Grey’s Anatomy. that was about 3 weeks ago. So I decided to give it a try 2 weeks ago on Netflix. I watched the 1st and half the second seasons on 1 Saturday alone!! I fell in love, only to get my heart broken and see a commercial saying the last episode was Tuesday!!! I loved the way it ended, but I actually cried that it did!! Im so heart broken….

6. *Happy4Happy* says:

I’m just glad Amelia finally got some good news. She was becoming too hard to watch. Dying bestfriend, alcoholic turned oxy-abuser, dead lover, brainless baby…no one can have that much bad luck! The Cooplets was an ok twist. Pete dying not surprised he was a douche, it was time…his relationship with Charlotte couldn’t take more. Addison and Sam breaking up…best thing for the show…too much drama. Still hate Dell died, thought he had promise. Never really liked Sheldon, too preachy. Addison was due for a good relationship too. How long were we to believe she only had a few good eggs left before she’d be sterile? Everything is finally how it should be…Private Practice will live in our imaginations with everyone doing alright.

7. Bunnie says:

ABC Last Resort was and would be a good show for another network to pick up…..Not reality if I wanted to see reality I would look around me….

8. Julia says:

I loved pp and all the characters, so sorry it’s leaving!! Seeing the last 2 shows felt as a new beginning. Sorry A ddison decided to leave. I feel the show should have remained on Thursday nights. Will miss pp so much Shondra; great ending though.

9. Diane says:

I am sooo sorry to hear this sad news. I was watching all of the seasons on Netflix off of our TV from the Netflix menu. It only went up through five seasons. I’ll have to get the sixth season sent to me in the mail. I watched all of the seasons in three months’ time. I;m sure that anything that Shonda Rhimes writes will be as GREAT as Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice. Thank you Shonda Rhimes for your beautiful work!