Exclusive Grey's Anatomy First Look: Meredith and Cristina Get Their Very Own Episode!

Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Ellen Pompeo Meredith and Cristina, the spotlight is yours.

As we previously reported, Grey’s Anatomy will center the Nov. 8 episode almost entirely on the longtime BFFs — but there’s a catch: As the following exclusive images from the change-of-pace outing make abundantly clear, the two characters barely interact during the hour.

RELATED | Check Out Grey’s Anatomy‘s Season 9 Cast Portraits!

As Ellen Pompeo recently explained to TVLine, the installment takes on a parallel structure in that it will split its time between Mer at Seattle Grace and Cristina (Sandra Oh) at the Mayo Clinic. “They’re individual storylines,” the actress points out, “but in our own storylines it’s sort of all us.”

In Pompeo’s half of the episode, Derek is out of town and [Mer] is forced to juggle taking care of Zola with a super-critical patient. “The underlying subtext of my case is dealing with issues of [Lexie]‘s death,” explains Pompeo. “Emotionally, things that I haven’t dealt with, I sort of play out through taking care of this patient.”

Cristina, meanwhile, assists Dr. Thomas (William Daniels) on a challenging heart surgery.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Boss Reveals: Why I Killed McSteamy

Scroll through the “Beautiful Doom” gallery below and then hit the comments with your hopes/predictions for the anticipated episode.

Comments (63)

• distracted by how CUUUTE zola is. Her little afro puffs are so great!!!

Comment by Sam – October 19, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She (seriously!) is the cutest kid on television.

Comment by DarkDefender – October 19, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else absolutely adore Dr. Thomas? I know it’s just cause of my love for Boy Meets World but still.

Comment by Mark – October 19, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you! I kept thinking “Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeny! Paging Dr. Feeeeny!” every time he was on screen!

Comment by JKR – October 19, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Feeny! Mister Feeneh! Fee-hee-hee-heeny!

Comment by Meg – October 19, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 1st thing I thought too lol

Comment by Angel Henderson – October 19, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you only think of him as the teacher from BMW, then you’re young! First thing I said when I saw him was “Dr. Craig!!!” Anyone else remember St. Elsewhere? HA!

Comment by LC – October 19, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha. I also remember him as the voice of KITT.

Comment by JKR – October 19, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I remember him as Dr. Mark Craig from St. Elsewhere – a fabulous medical show based at St. Elegius Hospital based in Boston in the 80′s. Cristina Yang’s bedside manner gets a 5 star rating as compared to Mark Craig. OMG he was so brutal to people …. but I loved him then & I love him even more now playing opposite Sandra Oh!!! So happy he came into S9 – probably not for much longer but I’m thrilled for as long as he has been on last season as Cristina’s proctor & now that they are paired up together at Mayo …. it is so much fun watching the two of them in motion – especially in the operating room & then outside the hospital in last night’s episode. They so do mirror each other as doctors! And then I know him as the voice of KITT ….

Comment by soxfan – October 19, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve never seen St. Elsewhere but I became aware of it when a lot of the doctors guest starred as doctors on Scrubs in one episode.

Comment by Mark – October 19, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My favorite movie that William daniels play in was 1776 as john adams. He did an amazing job in that musical.

Comment by sarah – October 20, 2012 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES!!! That was the first thing I thought of as well!! Loved him on St. Elsewhere!!

Comment by JM – October 20, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I remember him from St Elsewhere. I have the first season on DVD actually. I loved that show. My favorite episode was when a head accidentally got shipped to his mother in law instead of a lamp shade and the show kept showing the box throughout the episode with it ending up a little soggy. It was touching in this last weeks episode how he and Christina finally connected when he shared his story about the plane crash he was in. I do hope that by the end of the season she returns to Seattle. I think she will come back because she still loves Owen.

Comment by Kimski – October 21, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those pics are precious! Can’t wait for this episode.

Comment by Jessica – October 19, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zola is adorable. That Mer/Zo pic is perfect.

Comment by Tia – October 19, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zola is so freaking cute!
    Anyone know if there’s no new ep on Nov. 1?

Comment by marge – October 19, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is no new episode on November 1 because of the Country Music Awards on that day.

Comment by cc – October 19, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How cute is Owen with Zola? HINT??????? I want Yang to return after this epi….its time. Owen is her destiny. you cant escape your destiny. why cristina? Why? You know you love and need him. Forgive each other….god this is killing me.

Comment by Nina – October 19, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do not understand why everyone wants them together. They have zero chemistry. I don’t want to see them make her have a kid when she’s made it clear she doesn’t want one. Some women don’t want to be mothers and that’s ok! They need to move on. Never thought I’d say this ever but I miss her with Burke.

Comment by GS – October 19, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same here. I don’t get why some still want Owen and Cristina together after everything. The Teddy stuff in s6, the abortion, Owen’s cheating and now Cristina’s affair. Not to mention he wants to be a father and she doesn’t. They are not good for each other. And when Shonda will put them together, if it won’t be another Slexie situation, it’s gonna be forced and unbelievable.
        Anyway Zola is a cutie, and can’t wait for this episode!

Comment by Lea – October 19, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Lea, Cristina is not having an affair. She had the decency of breaking and leaving him before she started something with another man. Decency he hadn’t with her among others. Her husband cheated on her, she has the right to move on with her life.

Comment by Ninna – October 19, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree. They want different things. You can’t compromise on kids, and neither should have to. Having Cristina suddenly decide she wants a kid would be ludicrous even for Grey’s. Hate this couple.

Comment by mat – October 19, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The only show that did the compromise well was Private Practice, Cooper found out he had a kid from a previous relationship, Charlotte was comfortable being a step-mother. Of course, they’ve now added unneeded drama by knocking Charlotte up, but for a time it was handled very well.

Comment by madhatter360 – October 19, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • True! But i also think there was a big difference in the way they didn’t want to be mohers. Charlotte didn’t want to be a mom because of past experince with her own mom and because she didn’t want to be a mom! Cristina just dosen’t want children

Comment by Sof – October 19, 2012 01:27 PM PDT
      • Neither do I understand why this sick relationship still matters to anyone. There are people who simply live in the city of the dreams. There’s nothing there anymore. How attractive can be you to be bullied for your partner to conceive and fulfill his own dreams. A relationship of dream, indeed!

Comment by Ninna – October 19, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • he didn’t bully her into concieving!!! come on, you have to undertand how hard it must have been for him too. what because he’s a man he doesn’t have feelings?? they had never spoken about children before so how was he supposed to know that she didn’t want them until it happened!! the cheting was wrong!!! but it takes two to push someone to that extreme!

Comment by gem – October 20, 2012 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • gem, I’m not saying he doesn’t have feelings. He is entitled to have feelings as he is entitled to be a father. The problem is that he dealt with the whole thing in a way that exceeded the reasonable and touched the abusive.
            If you see the show faithfully you know that he knew she didn’t want kids because:

1) She told it in S6 plain and simple in a OR, where he was and, in front of Callie and Teddy. When Teddy and Owen heard Cris saying that no way she didn’t want them, Teddy and Owen looked at each other with eyes wide open and with concern because they knew he wanted a family. He chose to overlook that bc he was very in love and was expecting she changed her mind for him. He was expecting to change her.
            2) The proof he knew is that in S7 when the subject came up again he told her that she didn’t want kids in that moment because she was still studying and in that moment was not timely AND because she was childish. When she could overcome that childishness she would want them.
            So, he KNEW!!! And married her anyway. After trying bent her in the way it was better TO HIM and was not successful, punished her for her to be the woman he married.
            Believe that there are man that push themselves to that extreme by themselves and without any help very easily. He as it in him. His pain and anger didn’t led him to do some good for humanity….please…plain abusive. The excuse of having a ‘bad wife’ has done wonders for sexual life of married men all over the world. Women should stop to excusing them!

Comment by Ninna – October 20, 2012 11:02 AM PDT
      • I totally miss Cristina and Burke. They had chemistry!

Comment by CJ – October 20, 2012 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Owen holding Zola just breaks my heart as i want to see him as a father but then that means he wont be with Cristina…

Comment by sarah – October 19, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sarah, probably with a child of the bar slut. It was a well deserved punishment for him. Living the rest of his life looking at the face of his lovechild and at the face of the woman who ruined his marriage, with his help of course. A woman that for him was nothing more than a sewer pipe.

Comment by Ninna – October 19, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Zola!! Xristina needs to come home and make a baby with Owen! Not because she has to but because she wants to! Bada** she is and can have it all! COFOREVER!

Comment by Lisa – October 19, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember Dr. Thomas from St. Elsewhere…and that is sooo dating me.

Comment by Missy – October 19, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not the only one. I laughed at all these young’uns who only remember him from Boy Meets World! LOL!

Comment by LC – October 19, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe we young’uns have never seen St. Elsewhere…

Comment by Meg – October 19, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Expand your horizons, kiddie. Watch a classic.

Comment by Chris – October 19, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well, I also remember him as the voice of Kit on Knight Rider. I am a youngun who is educated in classics.

Comment by Kristi – October 19, 2012 07:25 PM PDT
          • shows that old usually don’t age well.

Comment by Shaun – October 19, 2012 11:10 PM PDT
    • Meh. I know and love him as John Adams on 1776… I think that dates me too ;)

Comment by JalaHyacinth – October 20, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lmao Zola and Ellen’s daughter Stella, have the same hair. Soooo cute.

Comment by Annie – October 19, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still think this is a perfect season to bring back Preston Burke. Now that Teddy is gone the show needs a head of cardiac surgery

Comment by gary – October 19, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But that doesn’t leave an opening for Christina to come back. She’ll be the new Cardio-god. No?

Comment by LC – October 19, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • she would need a cardio god to return and learn from. Mayo has one that why she want there she said it in last night episode. She wouldnt be the head of cardiac surgery is she return anyways so they still need a head

Comment by gary – October 19, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cristina & Owen are awful. They are horrible for each other. IF they get back together, it will be so forced & ridiculous. It’s like basically they’re only together to appease their fans as any real life couple would’ve been DONE. They want different things. They weren’t even in a good emotional place to be married. Cris was suffering from ptsd at the time. This ship is a joke.

Zola and Meredith are so adorable together.

Comment by Maura O'Henry – October 19, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds promising. I like that Mere finally deals with Lexie’s death and Cristina’s scene on tonight’s episode with Dr. Thomas made me want to see them more, so the focus on them in another episode sounds great.

Comment by Ethan – October 19, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember when William Daniels was on St Elsewhere his character won the HARPER AVERY award…it carried over to Greys
    ….Wonderful inside joke!

Comment by janet p – October 19, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was ALSO awarded to Christine Lahti’s character on Chicago Hope (The Harper Avery Award is a great fictional link to med-shows it seems!)

Comment by janet p – October 19, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my big thoughts this entire season so far is who is doing cardio surgeries at SGMW? We’ve heard of Arizona’s replacement but nothing about the cardio replacement. I know it’s waiting for Cristina but still. It’s bugging me a little bit.

Comment by Toni – October 19, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So in other words this is just another episode of Grey’s, except Meredith doesn’t have Derek…

Comment by kavyn – October 19, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zola looks pissy. She misses her daddy. Looking forward to this episode because Mer deals with Lexie’s death.

Comment by Emily – October 19, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s the point of this? Are they trying to get ratings proof that no one cares about Meredith or Christina? How about an episode following Avery around with about fifty takes of him changing his scrubs? Rant over

Comment by Amanda – October 19, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why does he have to have on scrubs? I like the idea of him being somewhere hot so he is barely clothed and sweaty….Miss the Plastics Posse….

Comment by Kristi – October 19, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, the all-Mer episode of S7, The Golden Hour, ushered in a ratings dip. I get it. This is GREY’S Anatomy, but really, do we need an hour of just Mer and Cristina? I love Cristina but Mer I can take in small doses. Besides, what I love about this show is the ensemble. If this was just about Mer, I wouldn’t be watching. I guess this epi will go straight to DVR. At least Glee should be back on by then. Shonda hates to be told what to do and she refuses to accept when she’s wrong. Every time that they try something gimmicky like this it backfires. Like the ‘all men’ episode from last season which also dipped the ratings. So far, I’m loving this season because they have gone full-on cable-dark with Cristina drinking her urine and the animals fighting for Lexie’s body and Arizona losing a leg AND sitting in her own urine. That’s risky writing and I think it’s awesome. But what I’m enjoying the most is seeing the cast actually acting like a cohesive unit. Like seeing Callie at the settlement table and calling Meredith ‘Mer’. And April peeking over Mer’s shoulder to say hi to Cristina. That’s what I love about this show. The group/family dynamic. And I hope it stays that way.

Comment by Ana – October 19, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mer and Cris centric doesn’t mean its only about them. The others will be there but in the background a little for this episode. I loved Golden Hour last season because it had great patients and story lines that I actually cared out. Plus we got some rare scenes of Lexie and Meredith interacting professionally and personally and for the first time I began to actually like Teddy when she worked with Mer to save the patient. Bonus was Alex being awesome peds surgeon.

Comment by Steph – October 20, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Golden hour was one of the best episodes of a crappy season. Everything about it was perfect. The leading lady deserves some good focus. Sure Grey’s is ensemble but Meredith is the lead, and Cristina is a main too. There’s a reason 3 of the actors are paid the highest from the cast.

Comment by Lea – October 20, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cristina’s dark blue outfit (instead of dark green from Mayo) may suggest that she will return to Seattle later in season.

Comment by Agnes – October 19, 2012 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to know when will Greys season 9 start In South Africa?

Comment by Charmaine Kriedemann – October 20, 2012 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mmmm Derek is out of town, wonder where he has gone? Los Angeles maybe?

Comment by Auzzigrey (@auzzigrey) – October 20, 2012 03:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the Meredith part of the episode! Don’t really care about Cristina.

Comment by Sara – October 20, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When wil grey reach nigeria,i cannt wait

Comment by Baby – October 21, 2012 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just have to say that Sandra Oh (Christina) finally got her just recognition as a superlative actress on the show!! Astounding range of deep emotions convincingly portrayed! Talented, and it does not hurt to be exotically beautiful to boot!! LOL

Comment by Z Wayne Johnson – October 21, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want cristina backs very soon miss her to her to be in Seattle I really think cristina (sandra oh)should take Emmy award becouse she is the best and I miss cristina & owen together they actully love each other but they cant say that to each other I love them together and I waite for cristina.

Comment by cristinas lover – October 22, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope there will be some callie/arizona in episode 5 even though it is “the twisted sisters” episode..

Comment by johanna – October 23, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t u think that if Cristina had a child she would be like Ellis Grey was to Meredith? Sometimes I think if that were to happen Owen would still stay with her.

Comment by sandra – March 10, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post