Exclusive

Fringe Exclusive: The New Trailer Will Blow You -- Or At Least Peter! -- Away

Fringe‘s final season may have hit the pause button this week, but you’re going to want to hit the play button on the video TVLine can exclusively share here.

Most simply summarized: Based on this dynamic, haunting and wonderfully scored trailer, It appears the fight to liberate Earth is about to heat up, starting with the Oct. 26 episode “The Bullet That Saved the World.”

You can also glean that we’ll be getting this season’s first appearance by future Broyles, who alas is under the thumb of Observers overlord Captain Windmark. Or is he…?

Once again, Fox’s Fringe resumes its farewell run, with Episode 4 out of 13, next Friday at 9/8c.

1. Lambsilencer says:

Beautifully done! Looks like we get to see Broyles again after all.

2. Hana says:

I thought the title of the Oct 26 episode was “The Bullet That Saved the World”?

3. Sandy says:

Peter gets blown into another timeline. Come on showrunners. More Olivia in this final season

• Hana says:

We get plenty of Olivia. I want to see some more of Walter and Peter’s relationship again.

• Sandy says:

Walter and Peter are great. He’s great when he’s interacting with other characters but Peter on his own is boring. He’s just not an intriguing or interesting enough character to me.

• Hana says:

Funny, that’s how I feel about Olivia most of the time.

• Sandy says:

Olivia is the driving force of the Fringe team.

• Hana says:

Olivia may be a tough, emotionally stunted woman with a gun and some superpowers, but nothing she has ever done has driven the plot of Fringe. Her character responds/fixes/deals with the stuff that other characters do (William Bell, Walter Bishop). She’s brought in to “save the day” because of her “specialness” but she never makes the decisions (good or bad) that cause things to happen in the first place. That’s not a “driving” character at all. I mean, the last time the world got saved, it happened because Walter shot her in the head. How did she actually DO anything to drive the action that time?

Why is it so hard for some fans of this show to admit that, each in their own ways, the action pivots around all three of the main characters? Why the fanatical insistence that Olivia is the “main character”? I mean, it’s OK if she’s your favorite, but why the crying need to insist that the show is all about her? I don’t get it.

• Alichat says:

Thank you Hana. Well said.

• MA says:

I’m guessing that the answer to Hana’s question is…because Olivia is the show’s protagonist. The protagonist isn’t necessarily the one who drives all the action; he or she is the one that all the characters and the action propel forward. I don’t understand why people have such a hard time accepting that. Who cares? Walter and Peter are important too, though I totally agree with Sandy: Peter on his own is flat, and I’d always like there to be more Olivia (and Walter…and now Etta).

• Paul says:

I don’t feel that any of the three primary parts (Olivia, Peter and Walter) by themselves, come close to the whole they create together. Each brings out the best in the other characters, whether it’s Olivia’s tormented self-deprecation, Peter’s gentle understanding, or Walter’s confused brilliance. I love them all and can’t imagine one without the others.

• Sam says:

There isn’t a flatter character than Olivia on this show and there isn’t a flatter main character/heroine than her on any other show out there. She is the main character, but I don’t want to get bored more than I already am by her. She already hogs enough screentime.

• MA says:

I have to say…all the talk about Olivia being flat and boring kind of cracks me up. She’s such a typical reluctant superhero: internal, introspective, lost, hesitant, etc. I mean…sure, I guess you can say she’s boring; she’s about as boring as Batman or Spider Man. To each his own, y’all.

• tina says:

i agree MA

• Paul says:

There are some things that I admire about Olivia and I know that she’s been through a lot, but I have mixed feelings about her. Peter clearly is trying his best to put their family back together under the circumstances, but it seems obvious that Olivia is not in love with him now and doesn’t know what she wants. Not only is she treating him like a stranger and won’t let him touch her, but she has taken her wedding ring off and probably thrown it away. And this after he crossed universes and altered timelines for her and relented when she came begging him that they belong together. Does he get angry about it? No, he remains calm and understanding while trying to comfort and reassure her. Not only is he a better man than his father, he’s a better man than most people.

• MA says:

Gotta say, I don’t see Olivia that way at all. I see a woman who has been paralyzed by grief and guilt. When someone’s child goes missing, I tend not to judge how they react because the grief would be so overwhelming that however they react, that’s what the person needs at the time. Peter chose to keep looking; Olivia thought the kid was dead. Based on that, they both did what they needed to do to not dissolve into a puddle of misery on the floor. As far as their history goes, Olivia also crossed universes for Peter and managed to basically love him back into being, so I don’t know how anyone can say she doesn’t love him. The fact that people are so staunchly Team Olivia or Team Peter is also extremely weird since they’re both on the same team. All that said, though, it really doesn’t matter. They’re fictional characters on a fictional TV show, and it’s pretty disturbing how viciously angry people have gotten about one poster who basically just said she liked Olivia and thought Peter was boring. So what if he is? He’s not going to care because he’s not a real guy.

• Paul says:

I can understand what you are saying and we don’t yet know much about the details of the time between the invasion and when they separated. Perhaps she does still love him in her own insecure way, but her aloofness is still hard to understand, particularly in light of his outpouring of compassion for her. And the missing wedding ring? This from someone who was committed to love him unconditionally even when he wasn’t sure she was his Olivia. I know what it’s like to lose a child in real life and she isn’t the only one who went through the ordeal.

• MA says:

Paul: I’m not much for wedding rings, so that doesn’t bother me at all, but I don’t see how you can say she’s aloof. In the first episode of this season, she basically clung to Peter when she came out of the amber. In the second, she clutched his hand against her body when he woke her up from that dream. And in the last episode, she poured out her heart to him and confessed something that any mother would consider pretty awful (that she gave up on her kid) and that she clearly felt horribly guilty about. Then she listened to what Peter said about it, took his words to heart, and reached out to her daughter as a result. Olivia’s not girly. She’s never been effusive. She’s not showy or lovey dovey or overtly emotional. She rarely cries and rarely smiles. She’s not traditionally feminine at all, and more than once, she’s said she feels inadequate because of that. But she’s very loving and affectionate when she relaxes, and it just seems so obvious to me that she adores Peter and Etta (and Walter and Astrid) but is very lost and uncomfortable in this new space. I think seeing someone figure out how to navigate that is interesting. Others don’t. That’s OK. And of course, she wasn’t the only one who lost her child. We got Peter’s story in the first episode, and he was also wracked with guilt. I don’t see that the depth of his sorrow was any more or less than Olivia’s. The story’s point, I think, is that they were two parents who adored their daughter and then lost her. How they reacted and how they coped were different and incompatible at the time. That doesn’t mean they didn’t or don’t love each other. By all accounts, it looks to me like they love each other very much.

• pik says:

You’re right, Paul. I’m also getting the impression Olivia doesn’t care about Peter anymore. She avoids speaking to and being around him. It’s so painful to see him clinging to his ring, while hers is nowhere to be seen! She has given up on him.

• Anon1 says:

Olivia and Peter may be bent but not broken.Everything happens for a reason.They will live happily ever after because they truly love each other.

• Sys says:

“How they reacted and how they coped were different and incompatible at the time. That doesn’t mean they didn’t or don’t love each other. By all accounts, it looks to me like they love each other very much.”

I so agree MA.

• ACL says:

Peter is my absolute favorite and the heart of the show. He has changed and matured the most over the course of the show. He’s smart, kind, and inventive. He has his own humor, that is not as childish as Walter’s. He always has hope, no matter what.

But I love all 3 main characters, and I am sick of you Olivia nuts griping every time someone awesome gets the spotlight. They are all wonderful characters.

Guess what? Peter fans are not going to sit and let you hog every article comment any more. We’re all tired of it.

• Devynn says:

Plus, if you think about it, Peter is technically the only character who is still the same person from the beginning of the show. All the other characters are from the reset timeline (where seasons 1-3 don’t matter), but Peter is still from the original one.

• pik says:

He is the most evolved character while still staying true to himself. Looking back to the first few episodes of the series, I can hardly recognize that con man with a huge chip on his shoulder, who claimed to not care about anyone. He is amazing!

• tvlover says:

ACL — I like your comment. I feel the same way. I think the Peter character has shown the most growth, as funny as that sounds, since he was given the least to work with. Maybe it’s because his character didn’t have the benefit of an alternate version, so Peter had to more visibly mature. With that said, I think Olivia has grown in terms of being more emotionally expressive–compliments of her Amber version. :)

In any event, all three characters, as well as the supporting caste make the show what it is. It would not be the same without the total package. The Etta character is a terrific addition.

• naty. says:

I agree. he is completely one-note and lacks any complexity. Her facial expressions are all the same.

• Chris says:

I want to see all of them.

• newton says:

I like the three characters, but I have preference for Walter and Olivia by the brilliant acting of Anna Torv and John Noble

• September says:

Why do you all have to be so nasty? I can be, too. Blow Olivia to another timeline. I was perfectly happy to see her missing for once….

• Day Light says:

Agh some Olivia fans are really annoying. Why do you have to say negative things about Peter’s character in every post??? does it make you feel better?? Yes we get it, all chars are boring except Olivia, but don’t you see that that’s just YOU forcing YOUR opinion on other people? do you think everyone will hate Peter now that you called him boring? Grow up already, or buy a collection of Anna Torv movies and series and watch it after cutting off scenes where she doesn’t ‘appear’.

• Link says:

Who’s boring, who’s not, who cares? We are all entitled to our own opinions but there is no need to be nasty about it. I can totally understand how Olivia can be a bit aloof to Peter, that’s her personality! Didn’t you notice her reaction when Peter got her out of amber? But they were stuck with their conflicts for 20 years. Peter was rather insensitive to insist on extracting random trivia fr Olivia when she obviously doesnt want to talk about it. Olivia then showed us how she still feels that closeness with Peter by opening up to him. Peter then showed his usual caring and patient Peter to Olivia which just means that they have another chance. These two are meant to be together. The right moment will come. Hopefully for good but it’s not gonna be easy because they have to save the world as well again.

4. Lore says:

Please, do not harm my Peter, i didn like he was in floor and Wyndam was standing next to him

• Alichat says:

Peter was lying outside on the ground, not the floor of the warehouse, which is where Windmark was in the shot we see. I think that shot of Peter on the ground is of him after that explosion at the end of the trailer.

• MA says:

Yeah, I kind of think Windmark is after Etta, but can’t be sure.

• Alichat says:

Yeah….there’s more going on here than we have been told. Windmark wants Etta, and possibly the others, alive. Why send Loyalists to capture them in PA (aka the land of the bark-skinned people) and not Observers? Especially if the Observers can just appear…or teleport….to where ever they need to be?

5. Sam says:

Etta looks so badass!

6. Chris says:

I’m afraid that Etta is going to die.

• Sandy says:

I think she may die as well. But you know Fringe. Doesn’t mean she has to stay dead. I dont’ think Wyman would do that to Peter and Olivia

7. FringeFiles says:

I am just happy to have the whole FRINGE team back together…you can’t have one without the other! FRINGE is a FAMILY!

8. Paul says:

Don’t know if it means anything, but Etta isn’t in the imdb cast listings after “The Bullet That Saved the World”. I also read somewhere else that she was spotted back in Australia.

• Thomas says:

Oops……she dies then.

• Kristina says:

Or she’s not the real Etta. Or they switch timelines. This is Fringe, anything can happen.

• tina says:

seems like etta bites the dust

• Paul says:

It could just be an oversight, or perhaps it’s something else. Her “dying” would be so devastating to the already fragile relationship of Peter and Olivia and I can’t believe the writers would go there. Perhaps it has to do with an altered timeline, or as someone else mentioned, Etta and/or this particular reality is not what she/it seems. Stranger things have happened.

• Sam says:

No! That can’t be! She’s the highlight of this season!

• ohlala says:

they’re being weird about the titles this season, so she might not be listed because they just haven’t updated it yet. calm down, she’s not gonna die. peter and olivia get a happy ending, this isn’t a mystery. and we all know a happy ending isn’t possible with a dead baby you just met when she was 20 years old. chill the F out guys

9. Liana in San Diego says:

When even the trailers are brilliantly executed, you know you’re dealing with a class act show. Too bad more people didn’t like it, “get” it, or stick with it. I think it’s been one of the best things on tv in eons…. excellent acting, thought provoking, suspenseful, dynamic, fabulous characters that I actually care about deeply. So sorry to see it end.

• chiana says:

Me too. Especially when you see some of the horrible new shows the networks have been trying out this season. I so wish we had a full season if it had to be the final one!

• Paul says:

I was a big “Lost” fan, but my emotional investment in that series pales in comparison to this one. Speaking of Lost, I’m afraid that I will be when this series ends. Shows like this are few and far between.

On another note, I have ever been a big baseball fan and I like it even less now that tonight’s show was preempted by a playoff game.

10. Hm the word I want to use to describe would get sensored!

11. MA says:

Really, really cool trailer. Very classy and scary. Can’t wait for this episode!

12. Emily says:

Oh, my God. Such a beautiful and haunting promo. I have never said this before: Can we please get all of these as extras on the DVDs?

13. cjeffery7 says:

OH MY GOD I CANNOT TAKE ALL OF THIS IT IS TOO GOOD

14. EE says:

Wow,amazing,amazing trailer-just like the show-this will sure be a great episode.
    Also,can we all just enjoy the remaining of the series without hating on any character. Just love them while you still can!

15. Dwayne says:

AMazing can’t wait to the box set for all seasons is put out with extras. Will purchase and watch over and over. It has and is one of the most amazing television series but FOx does it again. Hey how about a Fringe Movie in a year after the series end.

16. Fringe under 3M viewers and peeps always posting,a shame and when the why?

17. Paul says:

Speaking of bullets …After seeing the first three episodes of season 5, I went back and re-watched “Letters Of Transit” tonight. Having a better understanding of what Peter went through and the sacrifices he made to find his little girl, the final scene of LOT where he realizes she is his daughter had a much more profound impact on me than the first time I saw it. Powerful stuff.

18. panda says:

Amazing.

19. she’s in the episode An Origin Story which comes after the bullet that saved the world.. but an origin story is her final one .. my guess is that the timeline that they’re in at the moment never happens and they return back to the timeline just before the whole war started with the observers …. thats my guess anyway but who really knows we’ll have to watch and find out haha

20. jade86 says:

What’s funny is that someone says peter is boring when he gets stuff of his hown when he NEVER did this until now, or at least 1 time in “reciprocity” and josh was great for me.
    That said i too think that while Olivia is the hero and i like her character, the show doesn’t revolve around her but Walter and Peter. There are so many tv shows where the “lead” is not the heart of the whole story. And please, don’t say peter is not interesting because then you prove to not understand the story at all. Did you ever asked yourself why Peter has always been in the corner and at the same time there have been hints about his being special since the first season? Why (until now) they never showed us why the observers call Peter “the boy” and say he is important? Did you ever asked yourself if the famous “war” between the universes was actually against the bad observers and that peter has a crucial role in this?The writers don’t do things without reasons. So, i suggest to wait before saying peter is not intriguing because you did not see nothing.

21. I can not understand some people above who say that Olivia no longer love Peter: why? Why we have not seen a kiss? As soon as she came out dal’ambra, she embraced him happy, they talked several times with an open heart. Wyman said that their relationship is maturing, reaching new heights on the couple’s relationship and you for the lack of a kiss or a wedding ring speak to me of a lack of love? Congratulations this is really watch the show with depth. Not to mention the usual insults to Peter the alleged fan of Olivia, yes suspected: I will never understand how one can love the one and hate the other, to love him and hate her. And I should mention that Wyman said that this season, the next episode forward, we understand the importance of Peter for the Observers and September, but instead there are people who still consider it a little mysterious character. I laugh a lot when many of my theories confirmed I will especially against some alleged fans who feel unimportant a character that is defined by the four seasons by Observers.

22. I forgot. In the first season to kill the bad guy was Peter, Olivia was taken prisoner in the second, the third Peter saved the two universes creating the bridge and sacrificing his entire life, in the fourth shot Walter to Olivia stopping the destruction, but no, Peter and Walter are not important.

23. CC says:

Was there no Fringe episode on October 19th? I was out of town and my DVR didn’t record it.

24. Russelll says:

the new season started so so it has gained momentim walter drives the show but all the cast provide a great blend of support i would have thought that there dauther would have a special power as does her mother and then some now does the other universe still exist and will they help or are they tost is there a move back in time toright the rong and where is septembere i can relate to the theme one can travel out of boby in dream state this is very real to me time in a quite mind can take you far in nano sec Russell

25. Katerina says: