Scoop: Veep Elects Kevin Dunn as New Chief of Staff – But There's a Catch

Get More: Casting News

Kevin Dunn VeepVeep is staffing up ahead of Season 2.

TVLine has learned that Kevin Dunn (Luck, Samantha Who?) is joining the HBO comedy in the recurring role of Ben, the president‘s new chief of staff (not to be confused with Vice President Meyer’s chief of staff, Amy, played by Anna Chlumsky).

Dunn’s credits also including playing Sawyer’s pre-island partner Gordy on Lost.

Little is known about Veep‘s second season, except that production is slated to begin this month and we’ll “meet some political people from Denmark,” the show’s Emmy-winning leading lady, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, recently told TVLine, before adding with a laugh, “which is on the cutting edge of the political universe where all global decisions are made… No offense to Denmark!”

Comments (14)

• If production is just starting, I’m guessing no show ’til March/April. Sigh.

Comment by aleksa – October 18, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you are right. Girls is coming back this winter (January, I think?) and will be paired with Enlightened. They probably wouldn’t start Veep until after those shows finished their runs. I liked Veep being paired with Girls, so I’m kind of bummed about it. But I’m guessing HBO is doing this because Girls is such a buzzy show and they’re hoping it will bring in more viewers for Enlightened. I still wouldn’t watch it. Not a Laura Dern fan. Never have been.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 18, 2012 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And let’s hope next season is longer than eight episodes!

Comment by David – October 18, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this new person with the president isn’t replacing Jonah, maybe my favorite character.

Comment by bigperm33 – October 18, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s the liaison, though, so I’m pretty sure he’s staying. Just another member of the staff we haven’t seen before.

Comment by Niko Batallones – October 18, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds like this new character is going to play a role similar to Malcolm Tucker, the Prime Minister’s enforcer on The Thick of It. The Thick of It is an earlier British show created by Armando Iannucci, the creator of Veep. Veep is quite similar to The Thick of It, which is about British Members of Parliament and their staffs. Malcolm is its best character, and I’d welcome a similar addition to Veep.

Comment by ATC – October 18, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In what way does it sound like that? All it says is that he plays the chief of staff – doesn’t give any indication of the nature or personality of the character. Tucker’s specific personality is what makes the role so entertaining and pivotal – we’ve no indication form this at all that the character will be anything like Tucker at all.

Comment by Licy – November 3, 2012 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I also love Malcolm Tucker, I don’t think that a character like him would work in Veep. But, we’ll see. As far as I’m concerned, every episode of Veep that’s aired so far has been worthy of an Emmy, so I’m more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Comment by Dubya M Deez – October 18, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jonah is not the president’s chief of staff…he is a liaison. This is a totally NEW character…not a replacement. : )

Comment by Christine – October 18, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want Jerry Seinfeld to play the President. Cameo in the finale since he’s supposed to be never seen.

Comment by Mark – October 18, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG I had the exact same thought: Jerry Seinfeld or Larry David!

Comment by michelle – January 2, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I am in the mood to go back and watch episodes of Samantha Who. I like this actor. And I’m glad to hear from other people commenting that he’s probably not replacing Jonah. Phew.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 18, 2012 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Veep should give Peter Capaldi a cameo in this series, just as a wink to transatlantic fans.

Comment by Lucy – November 3, 2012 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show just kept getting better as the season went on. Excited to see if it keeps up

Comment by abe – January 5, 2013 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post