Scoop: Veep Elects Kevin Dunn as New Chief of Staff - But There's a Catch

Kevin Dunn VeepVeep is staffing up ahead of Season 2.

TVLine has learned that Kevin Dunn (Luck, Samantha Who?) is joining the HBO comedy in the recurring role of Ben, the president‘s new chief of staff (not to be confused with Vice President Meyer’s chief of staff, Amy, played by Anna Chlumsky).

Dunn’s credits also including playing Sawyer’s pre-island partner Gordy on Lost.

Little is known about Veep‘s second season, except that production is slated to begin this month and we’ll “meet some political people from Denmark,” the show’s Emmy-winning leading lady, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, recently told TVLine, before adding with a laugh, “which is on the cutting edge of the political universe where all global decisions are made… No offense to Denmark!”

1. aleksa says:

If production is just starting, I’m guessing no show ’til March/April. Sigh.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I think you are right. Girls is coming back this winter (January, I think?) and will be paired with Enlightened. They probably wouldn’t start Veep until after those shows finished their runs. I liked Veep being paired with Girls, so I’m kind of bummed about it. But I’m guessing HBO is doing this because Girls is such a buzzy show and they’re hoping it will bring in more viewers for Enlightened. I still wouldn’t watch it. Not a Laura Dern fan. Never have been.

2. David says:

And let’s hope next season is longer than eight episodes!

3. bigperm33 says:

I hope this new person with the president isn’t replacing Jonah, maybe my favorite character.

4. ATC says:

It sounds like this new character is going to play a role similar to Malcolm Tucker, the Prime Minister’s enforcer on The Thick of It. The Thick of It is an earlier British show created by Armando Iannucci, the creator of Veep. Veep is quite similar to The Thick of It, which is about British Members of Parliament and their staffs. Malcolm is its best character, and I’d welcome a similar addition to Veep.

• Licy says:

In what way does it sound like that? All it says is that he plays the chief of staff – doesn’t give any indication of the nature or personality of the character. Tucker’s specific personality is what makes the role so entertaining and pivotal – we’ve no indication form this at all that the character will be anything like Tucker at all.

5. Dubya M Deez says:

While I also love Malcolm Tucker, I don’t think that a character like him would work in Veep. But, we’ll see. As far as I’m concerned, every episode of Veep that’s aired so far has been worthy of an Emmy, so I’m more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

6. Christine says:

Jonah is not the president’s chief of staff…he is a liaison. This is a totally NEW character…not a replacement. : )

7. Mark says:

I really want Jerry Seinfeld to play the President. Cameo in the finale since he’s supposed to be never seen.

8. Britta Unfiltered says:

Now I am in the mood to go back and watch episodes of Samantha Who. I like this actor. And I’m glad to hear from other people commenting that he’s probably not replacing Jonah. Phew.

9. Lucy says:

Veep should give Peter Capaldi a cameo in this series, just as a wink to transatlantic fans.

10. abe says:

This show just kept getting better as the season went on. Excited to see if it keeps up