Monkey Flee: NBC Puts Animal Practice to Sleep, Replaces With Whitney

Get More: Cancellations, News

Crystal the monkey is out of a job.

NBC has cancelled struggling freshman sitcom Animal Practice. Filling the Wednesday at 8/7 void beginning Nov. 14 will be Whitney.

Though Practice initially benefitted from a strong Olympics lead-in, the Justin Kirk-starring veterinarian comedy consistently pulled low numbers, this week mustering just 3.8 mil and a 1.0. The show’s Wednesday companion, fellow rookie comedy Guys With Kids, appears safe for the moment.

Whitney was originally scheduled to premiere this Friday along with Community, but NBC announced last week it was keeping both shows in its “back pocket [in case] we need to make any schedule changes” earlier in the week.

Practice, which will air its last episode on Nov. 7, is this season’s second cancellation (following the demise of CBS’ Made in Jersey.)

Thoughts? Will you miss Crystal & Co.? What ailing show is next on the chopping block? Hit the comments with your eulogies/predictions.

Comments (150)

• I thought Mob Doctor would be next. Not really surprised that Animal Hospital got axed. It’s promos just stink! So do Guys With Kids which will get axed before Mob Doctor.

Comment by Kathy – October 18, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I want to see The Neighbors cancelled.

Comment by Emily – October 18, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, it’s the 3rd cancellation. Let us not forget Dane Cook’s show got cancelled before it even had a chance to air. I’m sad it’s not Community that’s replacing it, but some of the others commenting here make a good point that Community is not a good pairing with Guys With Kids. I can accept that. I’m slightly bummed for Animal Practice. It was a Russo brothers show, so it had to have potential, and I thought the last couple of episodes were decent. I just wish the Russos hadn’t jumped the Community ship to go do that show. But I wish them well in future endeavors.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 18, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love community and don’t like Whitney. But seriously, people want NBC to pair community with guys with kids? that would be the worst match ever and do neither show any favors. Whitney and GWKs together seems like a no brainier. Yes I want community back on tv but I want it to have a fighting chance of succeeding in its timeslot.

Comment by murley – October 18, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still think if Guys With Kids gets canceled they should move The New Normal to Wednesday night and put Community on after Go On. You get a hour of misfits.

Comment by Julie – October 18, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, NBC should move a new comedy that needed a little support (like all new shows do) to a death slot to replace it with a comedy that would get terrible ratings anywhere it was. That makes perfect sense.

Comment by nick1372 – October 18, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it. Joanna Garcia deserves better that show was not funny at all. If it was possible to recast the character that Sophia Bush plays in partners with Joanna it would be awesome. No offense to Sophia Bush but she’s not funny

Comment by @@ – October 18, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much I disliked Animal Practice, I definitely preferred it to Guys With Kids. I hope to see that one go soon as well. I also preferred Animal Practice to Whitney…

Can I also take some time to mention how unfair it is that every show featuring Ty Labine is swiftly removed from the airwaves? Reaper only lasted two seasons, while Sons of Tucson, Mad Love and now Animal Practice were given but a season each. This is a terrible injustice.

And I won’t go too “in depth” on this issue, as it’s been brought up many times already: why not Community?

Comment by Eric – October 18, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo happy that Whitney is coming back into this timeslot. It is SUCH a funny show, (and very misaligned).

Comment by Shar – October 18, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joanna Garcia the show killer strikes again!!!!!

Comment by A – October 18, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s no such thing as a show-killer.
      Being on a show that is cancelled does not mean you’re a show killer. 95% of shows get cancelled!!!

Comment by nick1372 – October 20, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mediocrity for the win lololol

Comment by Hali – October 18, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww. I will miss Tyler Labine. I hope he makes in into a show that lasts longer than 13 episodes.

Comment by Melissa – October 18, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put community on instead! Come on…

Comment by Sarah – October 18, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo!!! I loved Animal Practice. Can’t stand Whitney. of course the clean show would be canned. thanks NBC…

Comment by meggo – October 18, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Whitney and Community. I think Whitney was the right choice for that time period and night. WHITNEY improved so much as the season went on. Give the show another look.

Comment by lucylost – October 18, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who didn’t see this one coming? Now NBC needs a home for Community before fans revolt and leave their network forever!

Comment by DavidSask – October 18, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess the only surprise is NBC figured out the show was a loser fairly quickly. I taped that show twice and never made it to the first commercial break before deleting it. I think it was a pretty good premise for a sitcom. The execution, however, was terrible. I’m always amazed how the network suits can preview some of these shows and believe they have a shot at being successful. Maybe if they just sent the rest of us large supplies of the Kool_Aid they must be drinking things would go a lot better. I actually liked Whitney. Maybe airing it in a timeslot where there is absolutely no competition might be a good thing.

Comment by Tom – October 19, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin Kirk seems like too serious and brooding an actor to pull off a network sitcom. He’s a stage actor at heart and should stick to that, or land another edgy sitcom gig.

Comment by Alison – October 19, 2012 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave this show a chance because I love Justin Kirk and a few of the other actors. But the writing was horrible and the show never came close to finding itself.

Comment by Jimmy USA – October 22, 2012 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, I enjoyed Animal Practice! Love Joanna Garcia and all the cast and Rizzo was hysterical! Will miss it!

Comment by Francene – October 22, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i saw it coming, but i will miss Animal Practice. More importantly, however, who the hell is watching Whitney? Why is it still being considered for airtime? What is wrong with people?

Comment by adizzyrascal – October 28, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should have never canceled Bent. That show as hilarious and they never gave it a chance.

Comment by chris – November 2, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Whitney!!!! This show is hilarious! So glad it will be on Wednesdays instead of Fridays!!!! Sorry to all you Whitney haters out there!

Comment by Lindsey – November 3, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post