Monkey Flee: NBC Puts Animal Practice to Sleep, Replaces With Whitney

Crystal the monkey is out of a job.

NBC has cancelled struggling freshman sitcom Animal Practice. Filling the Wednesday at 8/7 void beginning Nov. 14 will be Whitney.

Though Practice initially benefitted from a strong Olympics lead-in, the Justin Kirk-starring veterinarian comedy consistently pulled low numbers, this week mustering just 3.8 mil and a 1.0. The show’s Wednesday companion, fellow rookie comedy Guys With Kids, appears safe for the moment.

Whitney was originally scheduled to premiere this Friday along with Community, but NBC announced last week it was keeping both shows in its “back pocket [in case] we need to make any schedule changes” earlier in the week.

Practice, which will air its last episode on Nov. 7, is this season’s second cancellation (following the demise of CBS’ Made in Jersey.)

Thoughts? Will you miss Crystal & Co.? What ailing show is next on the chopping block? Hit the comments with your eulogies/predictions.

1. BilliamJ says:

Saw that coming after the Olympics fiasco

• CJ says:

I won’t miss Animal Practice, but it did have some funny moments (especially with Bobby Lee). That Justin Kirk guy is all wrong for a sitcom lead, especially a farce like this show. He was going for a kind of Leslie Nielsen deadpan, but it just didn’t work at all.

2. M says:

Why not Community instead of Whitney?!? Come on, NBC!

• Toia says:

Exactly! Cuz the critically acclaimed Whitney is sure to draw in the viewers. At least people like Community I have yet to hear anyone praise Whitney.

• Tj says:

Sorry, I actually like Whitney…

• Eli says:

I praise it!

• Balaji K says:

Guys with Kids is a multi-cam comedy. Whitney, another multo-cam comedy is a good pair for it. Not that it’s going to make a ratings turn-around.

NBC has Community, Save me and 1600 Penn in the bench. I suspect they will keep those 3 for mid-season by which time 30 Rock and Up all Night will end. Unless, 30 Rock and Up All Night gets moved to Fridays. Both are struggling on Thursdays.

Community, Parks & Rec, The Office, 1600 Penn could be on Thursdays.

• Adam says:

30 Rock is on an abbreviated final season so will surely end midseason and it isn’t impractical to suspect Community would take over its time slot.

• chiana says:

My thought as well. Here’s hoping that Guys with Kids is next. Love how Joel continues to promote it on The Soup. I believe he said that he keeps checking for a text from NBC to see when it will be on.

• Josh says:

Wednesday night would be the nail in Community’s coffin. I have a feeling Up All Night is going to move to Wednesdays after Guys is cancelled, thus allowing Community to return to Thursdays.

• c4 says:

My guess is they are saving Community to replace Whitney. It shouldn’t be too long.

• nick1372 says:

In what universe would Community ever do better than Whitney? Anyway, the Networks never ever replace shows that aren’t new until all of the episodes ordered have aired.

• Jake says:

Is it really that tough to figure out? Whitney and Guys With Kids are far more compatible than Community and Guys With Kids. Plus, Whitney did pretty well in this time slot last year. Then there’s the fact most people are trying to ignore: Whitney pulled in better ratings than Community last season. Yes, Community is miles ahead of Whitney creatively, but from a business standpoint putting Whitney back on Wednesday to lead the night makes sense.

• Mike says:

Because Whitney gets better ratings than Community and is a better fit with Guys With Kids…

• CJ says:

Because Community will probably end up on Thursday again either after 30 Rock ends, or they cancel that mess that is Up All Night (which I REALLY want to like and just………really don’t).

• LC says:

EXACTLY! WHERE’S MY COMMUNITY?!

• CJ says:

It’s pretty simple, really-Whitney aired in this timeslot last season, and while it didn’t score truly hit-level ratings, it did surprisingly well without much in the way of resources (critical acclaim, strong lead-in or lead-out, established stars, etc.).

3. George says:

Bet Crystal the Monkey is the first cast member to land a new job

4. Adam says:

Here come the riots from community fans

5. Percysowner says:

When you lose to a CW show, this isn’t a shock.

6. MalTru says:

Ah, just like I predicted- if NBC were going to cancel only one new comedy, they’d choose Whitney to plug the hole instead of the far superior Community. Because why throw us Community fans a bone… ugh. On the other hand, thank goodness they’ve finally flushed the stinker that was Animal Practice. I wanted to like it, I did- I love Justin Kirk and Joanna Garcia-Swisher, but that show blew!!

• chiana says:

Yes, it was a horrible show. I felt badly for Tyler Labine, Bobby Lee and Joanna Garcia-Swisher, they did what they could with the mostly insufferable material. Such a waste of their considerable talents. However, I hope I never have to see Crystal and Justin Kirk again! (I’m pretty sure that Annie’s Boobs was no longer a recurring character). I like monkeys and apes having fun in the trees and with each other, not acting on my TV screen. *Also I didn’t mind Whitney. Never made a point of seeing it, but if I did come across it, I thought it was better than a lot of sitcoms out there. Like Ben and Kate. That show was so bad, I gave up after one episode. Far far worse than Animal Practice, in my opinion.

7. Amy says:

Replace a struggling show with one that no one thought would be renewed for a second season. That makes sense.

8. Paulo says:

Really? Why replace it with crap when they have Community waiting in the wings? NBC continues to baffle me…

9. stacy says:

What about community?!???

10. Josh says:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see “Community” held until mid-season and get its old timeslot back once “30 Rock” wraps up.

11. Hamza says:

Nov 14?
    It seems like they are just waiting for Guys with Kids to fall as well so that they can put Community there.

12. Lex Luthor says:

I always thought it was amazing how the monkey was the best character/part of the show.

13. Beacuse Whitney is doing so much better than Animal Practice. Really though, why can’t they just put Community in that spot.

14. madbengalsfan85 says:

And FOX still hasn’t killed off Mob Doctor…sigh

• Symce says:

Yeah there goes my betting pool money, grr. I’d guess it’s cuz Fox has sunk so low, that it’ll take even the terribad ratings Mob Doctor is getting.

• gary says:

Fox has nothing else to replace Mob Doctor. Mob Doctor will be around till that Kevin Bacon show is ready to go

• John says:

Right after I mourned Rizzo I went right there.

• Renee says:

And what is so sad is last year Fox had some decent new shows. Terra Nova, The Finder, Alcatraz. And even though I haven’t checked I’m pretty sure all these shows had better ratings and demos than Mob Doctor.

• Zoe says:

This! Terra Nova was great, I wish they’d picked it up. Same with New Amsterdam a few years back.

• D says:

Ugh! Your taste is bad. You should feel bad.

• kmg says:

I loved New Amsterdam! Wish they’d given that one more time. I watched all of Terra Nova, but it never really got going, IMO. It tried to be a cross between Swiss Family Robinson, Jurassic Park, and maybe Blade Runner, and basically did only a mediocre job of ANY of them. Wanted to like it, but it was just dull.

However, I really wish they’d given Alcatraz another season, as opposed to introducing Mob Doc. I love Jordan Spiro, but Alcatraz was a much better show overall.

15. John Moshier says:

I like whitney I thought it got better

• xwiseguyx says:

I 100% agree – Whitney is undeservedly panned after it found its footing mid-season. Glad it’s coming to Wed instead of Friday. Pairing it wi/ Community would have been disasterous.

• sarah says:

I agree!! I’m glad it is coming back earlier and on Wednesday is a way better fit. Yeah Whitney!!

• CJ says:

I agree. It was terrible in the beginning but really improved throughout the rest of the season. And I love Community, but the harsh truth is that Whitney gets better ratings than Community does. Plus it is a multi-cam show, which will pair better with Guys With Kids than Community would, as many others have pointed out. Deal with it, haters.

16. Elyse says:

tried watching Animal Practice… just couldn’t get into it.

17. Mary says:

At least hopefully this means that when Whitney comes back on the air, NBC will see it’s appalling and low ratings and then cancel it after one episode (FINALLY!) and then replace it with Community right away…..that is my hope.

18. Brigitte says:

I am sad for Justin Kirk, but the characters were so wierd that they weren’t likeable.

19. Joe says:

Thought guys with kids was worse than animal practice they both need to go

20. Your turn, Guys With Kids.

21. KND says:

Bad day all around for the Swisher family.

22. jericho says:

I honestly do not understand people. As much as I LOVE Community and want to see it back on air ASAP, I would not wish upon that show to air on Wednesday night paired with the next to be canceled “Guys With Kids”.

Seriously, wouldn’t you rather have NBC hold on to Community and put it into the Lineup when the inevitable happens and they need to fill a hole with a better up side for our favorite show? 30 Rock is not long for this world. They have 1 “midseason” sitcom to replace it with now that they mercifully gave Dane Cook the boot. Wouldn’t you rather see Community back in its rightful place when 1600 Penn dies its inevitable death? I sure would. Give Community a fighting chance to survive another season and not ring its death knell by giving it no chance on Wednesday up against ABC’s Juggernaut.

23. the guy says:

Whew! Thank God! I’d prefer Whitney over Animal Practice!

24. Babybop says:

I’m guessing Whitney is getting the spot because it got a full season order, and there are more episodes to air than Community. Community will either take it’s old (terrible) timeslot when 30 Rock wraps up, or take the Guys With Kids slot when that inevitably gets cancelled.

25. John says:

RIZZZZZOOOO!!!!

NOOOOO!

Harmless enough show but you do have to wonder when the monkey is the hands down scene stealer…..

26. B- says:

They’re putting Whitney in it’s place because Guys With Kids is their only other multicam sitcom. If Community anchored the night it would likely be cancelled quickly.

I bet Community will come back on Thursday nights.

27. Anne says:

Community is my FAVORITE show but, Whitney would pull better numbers than Community, we saw it happen last spring.

28. Amanda Leigh says:

I don’t mean to shoot the messenger here, but WHY THE F**K is WHITNEY coming back BEFORE COMMUNITY!?

29. Nicole says:

I’ll miss it. Liked the show even though it didn’t hit with everyone else. Hope Justin Kirk gets a gig on another comedy soon!

30. Zed says:

I really love Community, but you guys should realize that Whitney has a better chance of surviving the timeslot.
    It’s was a self-starter on Wednesday last year, so it makes sense to choose it over a show in its fourth season, that has already had the chance to grow – and it didn’t.
    Factoring everything in, they made the right choice.
    AGAIN, I LOVE COMMUNITY! But we can’t deny that it’s not getting any good ratings…

31. Amanda says:

i knew i shouldn’t have started watching because i knew it’d get cancelled.. such a bummer! dr. rizzo forever. but we all know that joanna garcia is a tv show curse post-reba!

32. Lo says:

Not that AP was going to be winning an Emmy or anything, but come on! You cancel this and replace it with the worst comedy ever?! I’m still trying to wrap my head around Whitney getting renewed for a 2nd season, let alone replacing one that was at least decently funny!

33. GoodDeal says:

Totally deserved after the Olympics fiasco.
    of course, NBC wont learn their lesson
    JERKS!

34. Allen says:

it’s a shame. Animal Practice continued to be funnier each week. Guys With Kids continued to be incedibly unfunny each week. Whitney will continue to be horrendous and Community will continue to appeal to only a small minority. NBC should hire Crystal to head up scripted development.

35. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

Nice, I guessed right about the second cancellation of the season!

I gave the show a chance, watched the first three episodes, but while the three male leads are usually all awesome the shows writing is atrocious – and I can’t remember the last time I hated a character as much as the obnoxious female nurse. Good riddance.

36. brian nussbaum says:

I Will Miss the Staff of Crane Animal Hospital

37. Kristina says:

Don’t care for Whitney at all, but I think it will go well with Guys With Kids which I do like. I’m guessing everyone saw this coming. Hate it for the actors but maybe they will get something better.

38. Mike says:

Why Whitney, do you want people to hate you NBC, put Community in it’s place. This make me so angry. Way to Britta it up again NBC.

39. Jared says:

Community isn’t the “hit” its fans would like people to believe. I love the show but there’s no denying its ratings are nothing to brag about.

• Mike says:

No Community fan would argue with you that Community has great ratings, but there other ways you can interpret a hit, Community has one of the most vocal fanbases of a show that is currently on the air, not to mention Community has critical acclaim, something Whitney does not. Whitney had decent ratings, but critics hated it. You would think NBC in respect to Community’s fanbase would bring it back for Community before Whitney, espescially since the odds Community are coming back for a fifth season is slimmer than ever.

• tripoli says:

Exactly. We know our show is not so hot in the ratings, and still, we love it. And you don’t see anyone quoting awesome lines from Whitney, like you see with Community. Although, having been unable to suffer through much of Whitney, I’d not know if it were being quoted as lovingly.

40. Tom Charles says:

They Britta-ed it yet again. This is more proof this is the darkest timeline. They keep doing things like this, we’ll never get SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!

41. hated to see Crystal grimacing in fear. terrible show, rightly cancelled. Animals should not be used in so-called entertainment.

42. Toms1€ says:

can’t wait for Whitney

43. Mike says:

I had to admit that Whitney started out kind of lame but as the season went on it just got better. I bought the season 1 DVD set and on 2 of the episodes Whitney and Chris comment on the show. The 2 of them are SO in-synch with each other and you can tell they genuinely like each other (why they’re not a couple I don’t know) and it shows on the screen. I’m sure this year they’ll really get their footing. BTW Zoey L-J is a real talent in her own right. See her movie (co-wrote/stars/produces) Lola Versus

44. Wendy says:

Shocked. Only not. I’m frankly just surprised it took *this* long.

45. SRGG says:

When the lead actor goes on talk shows to promote the new sitcom he is on, he should not…I repeat NOT give the exact same canned response to all the questions. After noting that he gave the same quip about “its like High School” on two different shows I really didn’t want to tune into see him on anything else. I watched Animal Practice for all of 30 seconds before I couldn’t take it any more. I really can’t believe it stayed on this long or made it to TV at all and judging by the way the lead acted on talk shows…I kind of think he was pretty surprised that it went that far too!

• Templar says:

Replacing AP with Whitney is like replacing manure with Milorganite. One is fresh the other processed, but in the end it’s all $hit.

46. Rich says:

I would be perfectly happy with 13 episodes of Community a year as a fill in if it meant it would be around for more years (4 more years?)

47. Lola says:

Oh, hey look! By total accident, NBC managed to put a multi-camera comedy with their other multi-camera comedy, the entire reason most of us assumed Whitney was picked up the first place. Only they did this by kismet, chance, accident — not by actually scheduling Whitney to originally air with Guys with Kids because that would have made too much sense to start with.

48. Ashlyn says:

Someone please find a show for Tyler Labine that is worthy of his talents. And quick! Loved him on Reaper and want to see more of him on my TV!

• Temperence says:

I’m in total agreement. I really liked that show that had Jason Biggs, Tyler Labine, and Judy Greer, but it died hard and fast.

49. Garry Fisher says:

At the end of the day who is going to have a worse day Joanna or her husband Nick???

50. graywolf323 says:

Animal Practice is a much better show than Whitney…

• Temperence says:

AP was horrible (horrible) and, yes, a much better show than Whitney, which is a hundred times the show that is Two Broke Girls. Of course, it’s splitting hairs over shows that need immediate cancellation…