Ratings: Dixie Rises, Emily Owens Is No Ringer

Emily Owens MDEmily Owens, M.D. on Tuesday night made her debut to 1.7 million total viewers while scoring a 0.5 demo rating, opposite coverage of the second presidential debate and the American League Championship Series Game 3 (I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT).

Those tallies are 40 and 50 percent below Ringer‘s year-ago debut in the time slot, and yet… coupled with Hart of Dixie (up 11 and 20 percent from its season opener to 1.3 mil/0.6), The CW is reporting its most watched Tuesday since Nov. 29 of last year. Plus, it could/should be noted, Emily Owens drew 42 percent more viewers than Ringer‘s season series finale.

Elsewhere on the night: Dancing With the Stars‘ results show (12.7 mil/2.1) dipped 5 percent in an earlier time slot, The Voice (12.1 mil/4.6) was steady, Raising Hope (4.3 mil/1.7) dipped a tenth in the demo and Ben and Kate (2.9 mil/1.2) slipped 10 and 20 percent.

The Presidential Debate itself averaged 35.5 million total viewers across the Big 4, which is right on par with the candidates’ first face-off.

1. David Eagles says:

Bye, Bye, Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Chicago Dan says:

Tigers in FOUR!

3. Emily says:

Damn, and I really wanted to see Giants vs. Yankees.

4. Kate says:

I miss Ringer.

5. Dean says:

Bye, bye, Romney!!!
    I enjoyed Emily Owens. I’m an adult and this is a show which wouldn’t even be on my radar if not for Streep’s daughter and I’d like to believe that my love for it had more to do with Mamie Gummer’s adorable charm more than anything.

6. Mikael says:

CW should’ve given Ringer a 2nd chance. Perhaps a half season.

7. Patricia says:

I started watching Emily Owens a few weeks ago when it was online but I couldn’t finish I love Mamie and I liked her in off the map but this show is so ridiculous , they are grown ups acting like middle school kids

8. Trent says:

Wow at NBC! The Voice was up over last week, and NBC’s 18-49 rating for the debate was even higher — a 4.7. The 12 million Voice viewers stayed for the debate, more by far than the other networks (CBS, for example, only had 8 million debate viewers). Overall, NBC was #1 for the night in viewers and 18-49, an amazing result considering its struggles in the past decade. What a strange season for the networks…

9. Ace says:

I love Mamie Gummer, but I had to turn Emily Owens off after about four minutes. My gosh, that show is annoying. Mamie deserves better. I hope it dies quickly.

10. me says:

I miss Ringer!

11. Shaun says:

I’m surprised it didn’t do better.The debates are usually snoozes or catfights.It’s gonna get demolished when NCIS comes back next week.

12. crave says:

Stupid CW

You leaked the pilot too early and you delayed the premiere date, and its against the presidential debate. No I ddnt think the show would be a hit but its better than the mindless crap of Dixie and could have done better without these factors.

13. Marc says:

I really wish people would get over Ringer. It was a show with potential and a cool concept that never went anywhere. The writing was absolutely terrible, the characters were ridiculously stupid and unrealistic, the plot holes were big enough to drive a MAC truck through and the suspension of disbelief it asked people to take on a week-to-week basis was just too much. I think SMG is great but she deserves so much better than that garbage. They lost the plot and I think the ratings reflected that (you can blame the hiatus all you want but cable shows like The Walking Dead have proven that people will remember to come back to a show, no matter how long it’s away for, if it’s good enough.)cable

• Christian says:

You should copy this and have it ready to paste for Secret Circle fans as well. They’re even more annoying and delusional than Ringer fans.

• GS says:

Both shows had gotten much better by the end of the season. I watch tv to be entertained and both shows did that once they hit their groove. If you didn’t like them, fine. But those of us who did are not delusional; we just stuck through the crap parts and wanted some closure for both.

• april-ann says:

Yeah but Ringer did prove to have more than potential by the end, it just needed to be given a chance. Not a second chance but at least a first chance, which it did earn. It was a cool concept that did go somewhere. The writing was excellent, the characters were developed and there was a plot to dig your teeth into. Suspension of disbelief? Okay, but with which uber sudsy suspenseful nighttime soap these days do you need not do that? Plus, the music was fracking awesome.

• Frank says:

Did you watch the whole season or was it too complexed you to understand because you actually had to think?

14. i loved Emily Owens, its just a cute show.

15. Reward says:

I miss “Ringer” too :(

16. Kim says:

I also miss Ringer. It really pulled itself together by the end of the season. I think a second season would have been much better than the first.

17. Scott says:

Emily Owens= Flop Suey.

18. Scott says:

Guess Justin Hartley can watch Arrow soar to ratings heights and his show not soar to ratings heights.

19. GS says:

The CW should not have cancelled Ringer or The Secret Circle dang it! Both were hitting their strides and I would love to have seen what happened on both. There are enough medical dramas out there. Not that I watched but how realistic is that people treat a doctor like a loser when they go home?? That’s just stupid! I’m sure Mamie is a perfectly fine actress but that storyline is not believable to me in the least!

20. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Mamie is a good actress with a gold-star pedigree, but honestly, is this the type of show the CW demo [18-34] really wants to see alongside shows like Vampire, GG, 90210, Arrow, Dixie? The demo rating number system isn’t perfect, but it shows patterns, and in the end, the numbers never lie. Young people won’t watch this show [in mass numbers] – maybe women 25-54, the ABC demo, but that’s it. This show probably would have been better served on ABC with their demo.

Short of a guest starring arc in December by Mamie’s mother, I’m not sure this show can make it on CW. As it stands, CULT is waiting in the CW wings for January – the cancellation bear is always on the prowl, always hungry.

21. Once again, this time slot on The CW proves to be deadly… Should have given it to Gossip Girl.

22. arianeb says:

I saw Emily Owens online about a week ago. Cute idea comparing a hospital to high school. Hope it sticks around. Considering it is on an overcrowded night of the worst network, and it is a “medical dramedy”, it has a lot of obstacles to overcome.

23. Waitingsux says:

Thats Meryl streep’s daughter? Huh? Didn’t know that. Still not going to watch it.

I love love love Hart of Dixie!

24. Peggy says:

I liked Emily Owens but then again as someone already pointed out I am in the 25-54 category and at the end of category so not the demo anyone is going for. I also love “Hart of Dixie” so this pairing works out well for me.

25. A says:

I thought the show was cute and light-hearted. I’ll watch again.

26. Elyse says:

how did Underemployment do?

27. Angie says:

I liked it a lot. It was cute, and Justin Hartley will always get me to watch whatever he’s on. Also miss Ringer.

28. Sg.Grant says:

The CW made a mistake waiting to air it’s new shows. People are already set in their viewing habits for the season. The only show that will have ok numbers is Arrow because it appeals to a specific fanbase of comic fans who don’t watch the stuff that it airs opposite of. The premiere numbers for CW shows last year are just inflated because they started airing the shows before the major networks started airing theirs, and people are just bored at the end of a long, hot summer.

29. MG says:

Anyone else feel Grey’s Anatomy pilot de ja vu? Although I too enjoy Mammie, to me Emily Owens is Izzie Stevens 2.0 coupled with the “comedic” voice overs from Scrubs. I really wanted to like it, but I don’t think it will make it for a full season.

30. april-ann says:

Go Emily Owens, MD! It is so like the CW to do that to a great show. They’re already looking for a scapegoat, so it’s like “hey, let’s put the premiere of this up against the Presidential Town Hall Debate and the most exciting part of baseball playoffs leading up to the World Series!!, and if this show fails to get ratings through the roof, well we can announce our first cancellation, good for us!!” It does sound like our Emily held her own in spite of it all, though.

31. Firelight19 says:

Well, no wonder! It was going up against the debate AND Dancing with the stars!

32. Barb C says:

LOVED Emily Owens MD and her show…I already set my dvr to record the whole series, you go girl !!

33. tara17 says:

I enjoyed the MD show, fun, varied, fast-paced. I’ll tune in again. Ringer had a lot of promise. Gripping at first, lost me after the long hiatus.

34. The problem with the CW is that they never give a new show a chance to develop. They keep throwing new shows at us, expecting viewers to invest time into the story line only to leave a show at a cliffhanger and throw it away. Ringer and The Secret Circle were great shows where the plot got really interesting towards the middle episodes. What is upsetting to Ringer fans is that it was replaced by another medical drama knock-off. Emily Owens, MD was nauseating and I tuned out after 10 minutes. The writing was horrible, acting so-so, and clearly only given because she is Meryl Streep’s daughter.

35. Michelle says:

I refuse to watch ANY shows on the CW. Not after them canceling Ringer. Which was my favorite new show which has so much more potential. Ringer was an exciting show. Had lots of twists and turns. Really would love to see whats next.

36. donna benabib says:

WOW! who got those figures??? If i were to just ‘guess’ i’d say Emily Owens will be the worst performing series premiere ever for the CW. If the CW were smart they’d drop this money pit of a show and get Ringer back ASAP! RINGER is a GREAT SHOW!!! No amount of celebrity name dropping is going to help this snooze fest of Emily Owens! #Ringer2013

37. Siobahn Martin says:

When you sign on a show and you have a fan base that genuinely enjoys watching the show every week, at least give closure for the fan base and not leave the SERIES FINALE with a cliff hanger! That is why you suck CW, bring back RINGER and THE SECRET CIRCLE!!! Or at least give them the closure they deserve.

38. Kash says:

Honestly, I have nothing against Mamie Gummer, but it’s hard to judge her acting skills when her character is making me cringe all the time. I found the show to be insanely inane. How can I relate to a grown woman -albeit young, when she is acting like a tween?! Her vacuous voice-overs don’t help either. Grow up, Emily Owens.

39. Frank says:

Ringer is ten times better than Dixie, and Emily Owens put together. CW just renew Ringer already its your best show of all time, and it needs a season 2.