Ratings: Dixie Rises, Emily Owens Is No Ringer

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Emily Owens MDEmily Owens, M.D. on Tuesday night made her debut to 1.7 million total viewers while scoring a 0.5 demo rating, opposite coverage of the second presidential debate and the American League Championship Series Game 3 (I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT).

Those tallies are 40 and 50 percent below Ringer‘s year-ago debut in the time slot, and yet… coupled with Hart of Dixie (up 11 and 20 percent from its season opener to 1.3 mil/0.6), The CW is reporting its most watched Tuesday since Nov. 29 of last year. Plus, it could/should be noted, Emily Owens drew 42 percent more viewers than Ringer‘s season series finale.

Elsewhere on the night: Dancing With the Stars‘ results show (12.7 mil/2.1) dipped 5 percent in an earlier time slot, The Voice (12.1 mil/4.6) was steady, Raising Hope (4.3 mil/1.7) dipped a tenth in the demo and Ben and Kate (2.9 mil/1.2) slipped 10 and 20 percent.

The Presidential Debate itself averaged 35.5 million total viewers across the Big 4, which is right on par with the candidates’ first face-off.

Comments (59)

• Bye, Bye, Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by David Eagles – October 17, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ahem to that

Comment by Alex – October 17, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • amen to that

Comment by Alex – October 17, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bye Bye ratings

Comment by Tp – October 17, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow I almost thought I was on a sports website instead of a TV one. LOL. I must admit I am loving see the Yankees get beat. :)

Comment by mandy – October 17, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yankees Lost. Obama won. Bristol Palin got kicked off Dancing with the Stars. It was the greatest Tuesday night ever.

Comment by Alice – October 17, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ARod being benched.. Couldn’t have happened to a better guy. Check ya later Yankees!

Comment by Rebecca – October 17, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GO-O-O-O-O-O- TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kate – October 17, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tigers in FOUR!

Comment by Chicago Dan – October 17, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, and I really wanted to see Giants vs. Yankees.

Comment by Emily – October 17, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Ringer.

Comment by Kate – October 17, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im with you on that. They should have given it a second season bc it was a great show.

Comment by Sebastion – October 17, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely. It had potential. And was miles better than Hart of Dixie which somehow survived.

Comment by A – October 17, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you all there. I miss it too. We were owed at least a real series finale which wrapped it up for us. But ain’t that just the CW at its cheesy best?

Comment by april-ann – October 17, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bye, bye, Romney!!!
    I enjoyed Emily Owens. I’m an adult and this is a show which wouldn’t even be on my radar if not for Streep’s daughter and I’d like to believe that my love for it had more to do with Mamie Gummer’s adorable charm more than anything.

Comment by Dean – October 17, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW should’ve given Ringer a 2nd chance. Perhaps a half season.

Comment by Mikael – October 17, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started watching Emily Owens a few weeks ago when it was online but I couldn’t finish I love Mamie and I liked her in off the map but this show is so ridiculous , they are grown ups acting like middle school kids

Comment by Patricia – October 17, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Welcome to the current real world :)

Comment by Jk – October 17, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow at NBC! The Voice was up over last week, and NBC’s 18-49 rating for the debate was even higher — a 4.7. The 12 million Voice viewers stayed for the debate, more by far than the other networks (CBS, for example, only had 8 million debate viewers). Overall, NBC was #1 for the night in viewers and 18-49, an amazing result considering its struggles in the past decade. What a strange season for the networks…

Comment by Trent – October 17, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mamie Gummer, but I had to turn Emily Owens off after about four minutes. My gosh, that show is annoying. Mamie deserves better. I hope it dies quickly.

Comment by Ace – October 17, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Ringer!

Comment by me – October 17, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised it didn’t do better.The debates are usually snoozes or catfights.It’s gonna get demolished when NCIS comes back next week.

Comment by Shaun – October 17, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid CW

You leaked the pilot too early and you delayed the premiere date, and its against the presidential debate. No I ddnt think the show would be a hit but its better than the mindless crap of Dixie and could have done better without these factors.

Comment by crave – October 17, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish people would get over Ringer. It was a show with potential and a cool concept that never went anywhere. The writing was absolutely terrible, the characters were ridiculously stupid and unrealistic, the plot holes were big enough to drive a MAC truck through and the suspension of disbelief it asked people to take on a week-to-week basis was just too much. I think SMG is great but she deserves so much better than that garbage. They lost the plot and I think the ratings reflected that (you can blame the hiatus all you want but cable shows like The Walking Dead have proven that people will remember to come back to a show, no matter how long it’s away for, if it’s good enough.)cable

Comment by Marc – October 17, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should copy this and have it ready to paste for Secret Circle fans as well. They’re even more annoying and delusional than Ringer fans.

Comment by Christian – October 17, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Both shows had gotten much better by the end of the season. I watch tv to be entertained and both shows did that once they hit their groove. If you didn’t like them, fine. But those of us who did are not delusional; we just stuck through the crap parts and wanted some closure for both.

Comment by GS – October 17, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah but Ringer did prove to have more than potential by the end, it just needed to be given a chance. Not a second chance but at least a first chance, which it did earn. It was a cool concept that did go somewhere. The writing was excellent, the characters were developed and there was a plot to dig your teeth into. Suspension of disbelief? Okay, but with which uber sudsy suspenseful nighttime soap these days do you need not do that? Plus, the music was fracking awesome.

Comment by april-ann – October 17, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you watch the whole season or was it too complexed you to understand because you actually had to think?

Comment by Frank – October 25, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i loved Emily Owens, its just a cute show.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – October 17, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss “Ringer” too :(

Comment by Reward – October 17, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also miss Ringer. It really pulled itself together by the end of the season. I think a second season would have been much better than the first.

Comment by Kim – October 17, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily Owens= Flop Suey.

Comment by Scott – October 17, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess Justin Hartley can watch Arrow soar to ratings heights and his show not soar to ratings heights.

Comment by Scott – October 17, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW should not have cancelled Ringer or The Secret Circle dang it! Both were hitting their strides and I would love to have seen what happened on both. There are enough medical dramas out there. Not that I watched but how realistic is that people treat a doctor like a loser when they go home?? That’s just stupid! I’m sure Mamie is a perfectly fine actress but that storyline is not believable to me in the least!

Comment by GS – October 17, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mamie is a good actress with a gold-star pedigree, but honestly, is this the type of show the CW demo [18-34] really wants to see alongside shows like Vampire, GG, 90210, Arrow, Dixie? The demo rating number system isn’t perfect, but it shows patterns, and in the end, the numbers never lie. Young people won’t watch this show [in mass numbers] – maybe women 25-54, the ABC demo, but that’s it. This show probably would have been better served on ABC with their demo.

Short of a guest starring arc in December by Mamie’s mother, I’m not sure this show can make it on CW. As it stands, CULT is waiting in the CW wings for January – the cancellation bear is always on the prowl, always hungry.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – October 17, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC don’t need Greys lite

Comment by Shaun – October 17, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I found it to be Greys concentrate rather: the best aspects of Greys in greater abundance.

Comment by tara17 – October 18, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again, this time slot on The CW proves to be deadly… Should have given it to Gossip Girl.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – October 17, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw Emily Owens online about a week ago. Cute idea comparing a hospital to high school. Hope it sticks around. Considering it is on an overcrowded night of the worst network, and it is a “medical dramedy”, it has a lot of obstacles to overcome.

Comment by arianeb – October 17, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thats Meryl streep’s daughter? Huh? Didn’t know that. Still not going to watch it.

I love love love Hart of Dixie!

Comment by Waitingsux – October 17, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Emily Owens but then again as someone already pointed out I am in the 25-54 category and at the end of category so not the demo anyone is going for. I also love “Hart of Dixie” so this pairing works out well for me.

Comment by Peggy – October 17, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show was cute and light-hearted. I’ll watch again.

Comment by A – October 17, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how did Underemployment do?

Comment by Elyse – October 17, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *underemployed… fail…

Comment by Elyse – October 17, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I enjoyed it. A familiar premise with new twists.

Comment by tara17 – October 18, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it a lot. It was cute, and Justin Hartley will always get me to watch whatever he’s on. Also miss Ringer.

Comment by Angie – October 17, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW made a mistake waiting to air it’s new shows. People are already set in their viewing habits for the season. The only show that will have ok numbers is Arrow because it appeals to a specific fanbase of comic fans who don’t watch the stuff that it airs opposite of. The premiere numbers for CW shows last year are just inflated because they started airing the shows before the major networks started airing theirs, and people are just bored at the end of a long, hot summer.

Comment by Sg.Grant – October 17, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else feel Grey’s Anatomy pilot de ja vu? Although I too enjoy Mammie, to me Emily Owens is Izzie Stevens 2.0 coupled with the “comedic” voice overs from Scrubs. I really wanted to like it, but I don’t think it will make it for a full season.

Comment by MG – October 17, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Emily Owens, MD! It is so like the CW to do that to a great show. They’re already looking for a scapegoat, so it’s like “hey, let’s put the premiere of this up against the Presidential Town Hall Debate and the most exciting part of baseball playoffs leading up to the World Series!!, and if this show fails to get ratings through the roof, well we can announce our first cancellation, good for us!!” It does sound like our Emily held her own in spite of it all, though.

Comment by april-ann – October 17, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, no wonder! It was going up against the debate AND Dancing with the stars!

Comment by Firelight19 – October 17, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED Emily Owens MD and her show…I already set my dvr to record the whole series, you go girl !!

Comment by Barb C – October 18, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the MD show, fun, varied, fast-paced. I’ll tune in again. Ringer had a lot of promise. Gripping at first, lost me after the long hiatus.

Comment by tara17 – October 18, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem with the CW is that they never give a new show a chance to develop. They keep throwing new shows at us, expecting viewers to invest time into the story line only to leave a show at a cliffhanger and throw it away. Ringer and The Secret Circle were great shows where the plot got really interesting towards the middle episodes. What is upsetting to Ringer fans is that it was replaced by another medical drama knock-off. Emily Owens, MD was nauseating and I tuned out after 10 minutes. The writing was horrible, acting so-so, and clearly only given because she is Meryl Streep’s daughter.

Comment by Sonya Sill Bria – October 24, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I refuse to watch ANY shows on the CW. Not after them canceling Ringer. Which was my favorite new show which has so much more potential. Ringer was an exciting show. Had lots of twists and turns. Really would love to see whats next.

Comment by Michelle – October 25, 2012 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW! who got those figures??? If i were to just ‘guess’ i’d say Emily Owens will be the worst performing series premiere ever for the CW. If the CW were smart they’d drop this money pit of a show and get Ringer back ASAP! RINGER is a GREAT SHOW!!! No amount of celebrity name dropping is going to help this snooze fest of Emily Owens! #Ringer2013

Comment by donna benabib – October 25, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When you sign on a show and you have a fan base that genuinely enjoys watching the show every week, at least give closure for the fan base and not leave the SERIES FINALE with a cliff hanger! That is why you suck CW, bring back RINGER and THE SECRET CIRCLE!!! Or at least give them the closure they deserve.

Comment by Siobahn Martin – October 25, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I have nothing against Mamie Gummer, but it’s hard to judge her acting skills when her character is making me cringe all the time. I found the show to be insanely inane. How can I relate to a grown woman -albeit young, when she is acting like a tween?! Her vacuous voice-overs don’t help either. Grow up, Emily Owens.

Comment by Kash – October 25, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer is ten times better than Dixie, and Emily Owens put together. CW just renew Ringer already its your best show of all time, and it needs a season 2.

Comment by Frank – October 25, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post