Glee's 21 Best Musical Numbers of All-Time

Get More: Glee, Lists, Photo Gallery

With Major League Baseball playoffs dominating Fox’s primetime lineup for the next few weeks, Glee fans are holding their collective breath until Season 4 resumes in early November.

Still, everyone knows it’s cathartic to exhale, and with that in mind, we decided there was no better time to update the debate about what songs belong on a list of Glee‘s 21 Best Musical Numbers of All-Time. Our picks include expected suspects like “Teenage Dream” and “Faithfully,” but there are more than a few surprises, too.

RELATED | It’s Official: Glee Casts American Idol‘s Jessica Sanchez – Who Will She Be Playing?

So do check out the full gallery of 21 slides below, then tell us which moments we overrated, which ones we left out, and where we managed to get it exactly right.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Castle, NCIS, Glee, Grey’s, Gossip, P’hood, Community and More!

And for all the Glee news, interviews, and commentary you could possibly ever want, be sure to follow us on Twitter @TVLineNews!

PHOTOS | Glee: 14 Questions We Want Answered!

Tags:

Comments (289)

• How Will I Know <— THE BEST RENDITION TO WHITNEY
    Bohemian Raphsody <—– the best performance EVER!! J Groff RULES
    Happy Days Are Here Again – Get Happy <—- BEST DUET EVER!!!
    Don't Stop Believin'
    Rumour Has It / Someone Like You
    Unpretty / I Feel Pretty
    The Dog Days are Over
    Cough Syrup <—- THE BEST PERFOMANCE OF DARREN
    Pretending <—- BEST FINCHEL SONG
    Forget You
    Here's to Us
    Bbay it's cold outside <———–BEST KLAINE SONG
    Maybe this Time
    Poker Face
    Like a Prayer
    Sweet Caroline <— the begining of PUCKELBERRY (R.I.P.)
    And I'm telling You
    Don't Rain on my Parade
    One of Us
    I wanna hold your hand
    Somewhere over the rainbow <— BEST SCHUESTER PERFORMANCE
    To Sir with Love

Comment by Fernanda – October 17, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im not gonna be a psycho fan and just say your 1 and 2 choices are PERFECTION!!

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 17, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Puck singing Beth?

Comment by Ali – October 17, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad that the best number on Glee was performed by Vocal Adrenaline and it was Bohemian Rhapsody without even a doubt.

Comment by pol65 – October 17, 2012 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The most obvious omission is Somebody To Love. This would easily make my top 5.

Comment by YowzaPowza – October 18, 2012 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really do believe that I FEEL PRETTY/ UNPRETTY aka the FABERRY duet should be in 1st place! Also, COUGH SYRUP, KEEP HOLDING ON, and MINE should be in this list as well! #justsaying :)

Comment by Maridel Manalo – October 18, 2012 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this list!!

Comment by j – October 18, 2012 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Feel Pretty/Unpretty should be the first one but Don’t Rain On My Parade is really really amazing too! Still Faberry for the win.

Comment by FaberryForever – October 18, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I mostly agree with this top21, but I would change the top 3 in
    1) Cough Syrup
    2) Teeange Dream (from “The Break Up”, Season 4)
    3) Thriller/Heads will roll

Comment by Gaia – October 18, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cough Syrup was basic as hell and the only good part was Max Adler’s acting.

Comment by Rin – October 18, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, everybody has his own opinion. I think that that song was one of Darren/Blaine’s best songs ever! But I respect your opinion!

Comment by Gaia – October 18, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m in no way a Blarren stan but Cough Syrup was amazing, however it does not deserve number 1. And Teenage Dream? Wow. It’s not even the Warbler one omfg. The Break-Up TD should be somewhere in the bottom 200. It was awful. The mash-up was good but not deserving of no.3

Comment by J – October 21, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • different strokes, but Cough Syrup was good imo.

Comment by mercy – October 25, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea, most of the choices are good. I love Kurt’s I want to hold your hand, but you are missing Somebody I used to Know, To sir with love, Landslide, and Don’t Speak. The better Britney solo to choose would have been I’m a Slave for you, Heather Morris may not be the best singer on the show, but the girl can dance, and that Britney Spears cover was spot on.

Comment by Angel – October 18, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damn you’re right! Somebody That I used to know was incredible! Well, no problem…it goes at number 4!

Comment by Gaia – October 18, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boogie Shoes!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3

Comment by albtrex – October 18, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “How Will I Know” was definitely one of my favorites. Top 10 worthy.

Comment by Alex – October 18, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY are Teenage Dream and Run The World even on the list? They were awful, especially the latter. And when they don’t have ‘I’ll Stand By You’ and ‘Keep Holding On’ in their list, you know there’s something wrong with it. Oh well… at least there’s only one Blaine solo. I dreaded more.

Comment by Marco – October 18, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Landslide

Comment by Heather – October 18, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FAITHFULLY AND IT’S ALL COMING BACK TO ME NOW <3 THE BEST OF THE BEST <3

Comment by VANESSA – October 18, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You missed a lot of songs… :\

Comment by Angy – October 18, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mine is Don’t Rain on My Parade, Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are Young, Happy Daysmash up, I want to Hold Your Hand, Imagine, Without You, Journey Medley, The Scientist. There many I’ve enjoyed but to put up there as top 10, I can’t say that. Glee tries to do Adele songs but can’t hold a candle to her. Sorry, to those that thought Rumor Has It was great. It was good, but just that. Same goes for Pretty/ Unpretty, Songbird. Anything that Unique has sung does not rate IMO.

Comment by Sil – October 21, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mine performed by Santana… Or Songbird<3

Comment by Freja – October 21, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 21, 17, 15, 7 = all overrated

Comment by Krissie – October 21, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, Who made that list ?

Comment by Songbird – October 21, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. beautiful 2.constant craving 3.bella note 4. crazy/you drive me crazy

Comment by joe c – October 21, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can people forget “What I Did For Love”, “Pure Imagination”, “The Living Years”, and the original songs “Pretending” & “Loser Like Me”

Comment by Mary-Anne Brister – October 21, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We are Young must be in the top 5.

Comment by Tom's – October 21, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally think that ‘Shake it Out’ is one for the top and even ‘Teenage Dream’. That song gave me goose bumps when Blane sang it…. The entire Break up episode had amazing songs in it, very emotional. That’s what I adore about Glee.

Comment by Katie – October 21, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rolling in the deep! It was an awesome cover!

Comment by jennifer – October 21, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    10- The scientist
    11- Barely breathing
    12 – Without you
    13- don’t go breaking my heart
    14- We are young
    15 – Just the way you are
    16 – Any Way You Want It / Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin’
    17 – We found love
    18 -Ben
    19 – Born this way
    20- Blackbirds
    21- Stereo Hearts

Comment by rarb87 – October 21, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • um valerie?? hello! thats when we really first heard how great santana is

Comment by j – October 21, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that list is lacking some major good numbers and has some that I really don’t know why they’re there like Forget You? Really?

Comment by nicole – October 21, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t completely agree with this list. There are many songs on here that are also my favorites but just not in my order.
    -Smooth Criminal should be somewhere in top 5.
    -Rumor Has It/Someone Like You should be either 1 or 2 with Don’t Stop Believin’ (Regionals)
    -River Deep Mountain High should definitely be on this list.
    -”Mine” should be on this list as well. I rather that than “Mean”.

Comment by Kim – October 21, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my list would be in order of 1 to 21:
      -Rumor Has It/Someone Like You
      -Don’t Stop Believin’ (Regionals)
      -Smooth Criminal
      -Valerie
      -Songbird
      -Its My Life/Confession
      -Start Me Up/Livin’ On a Prayer
      -Forget You
      -River Deep Mountain High
      -Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You”
      -Toxic

2. Rumour Has It/Someone Like You
    3. Don’t Rain On My Parade
    4. The Scientist
    5. Mine
    6. I Feel Pretty/Unpretty
    7. Cough Syrup
    8. Defying Gravity (Duet version)
    9. Don’t Stop Believin’ (Regionals)
    10. We Are Young
    11. You Can’t Stop the Beat
    12. Valerie
    13. Shake It Out
    14. River Deep, Mountain High
    15. Mean
    16. And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going
    17. Thriller/Heads Will Roll
    18. Smooth Criminal
    19. Paradise by the Dashboard Light
    20. Lean On Me
    21. Born This Way

imo

Comment by J – October 21, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe neither Shake It Out or Perfect are on there!

Comment by JJ – October 21, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yikes! I definitely think “Don’t Stop Believing” should have been # 1! “Shake It Out” should replace “Forget You” but in the top 10 and “Songbird” should be in the top 10 as well. “Defying Gravity” should have been # 2 and “For Good”, # 3, but I’m just a huge Wicked fan.

Comment by Brooklyn – October 21, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite has been, and always will be Defying Gravity.

Comment by rikerlove\o/ – October 21, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    I Want To Hold Your Hand,
    Landslide,
    Smooth Criminal
    I Have Nothing
    Don’t Speak
    4 Minutes
    That was difficult and definitely not in order.

Comment by Sammy – October 21, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    - True Colors
    - Rolling In The Deep
    - Need You Now
    - My Man
    - Get It Right
    - For Good
    - Don’t Cry For Me Argentina (most people think this song is stupid, but I find it beautiful and powerful)
    - Loser Like Me
    - Sing
    - Valerie
    - Just the Way You Are (I don’t know, there’s just something in Cory’s voice here that makes me melt)
    - One Of Us
    - River Deep – Mountain High
    - Because You Loved Me
    - Cough Syrup
    - Here’s To Us
    - Without You
    - Smooth Criminal
    - Rumour Has It – Someone Like You
    - Paradise By The Dashboard Light
    - It’s All Coming Back to me Now
    - I just can’t stop loving you
    - How Will I Know
    - We Are Young
    - Don’t Speak
    - The Scientist

Comment by Nikolina Djuric – October 21, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My top three would have to be

1. The Scientist
    2. We Are Young
    3. Tongue Tied.

Comment by Delia E. – October 21, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somebody to Love? This and DSB are probably 2 of the most iconic group numbers. Jessie’s Girl? There’s plenty more that should have made this list.

Comment by Dan – October 21, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I quit working at shoprite and now I make $35h – $80h…how? I’m working online! My work didn’t exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn’t be happier. Heres what I do, Fox70.comCHECK IT OUT

Comment by linda329 – October 21, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paradise by Dashboard Light, Marry You, I’ve Had (Time of My Life).

Comment by Sydney – October 21, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Keep Holding On
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Empire State of Mind
    Valerie
    Go Your Own Way
    Don’t Speak
    Teenage Dream (Stripped Down Version)
    Take Me or Leave Me
    We Are Young
    Rumor Has It/ Someone Like You
    Rolling in the Deep

Comment by Mal – October 21, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cough syrup…and Go your own way!! Loved them

Comment by Elena – October 21, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • -How is “How Will I Know” not on the list? Amber, Naya, Chris, and Lea killed that song. It was so beautiful.
    -Keep Holding On should be on the list as well.
    -Rumour Has It/Someone Like You should at least be top 5.
    -The season 3 nationals performance shouldn’t even be on the list imo.
    -Songbird definitely belongs on the list.
    -River Deep/Mountain High should be on the list.
    -Teenage Dream should not be on the list.
    -My Man should be on the list.
    -I Feel Pretty/Unpretty should be lower on the list, like #21.
    -Don’t Rain on My Parade should be like #3.
    -Loser Like Me should be somewhere on the list.
    -The entire Journey medley should be somewhere on the list.

Comment by kyle – October 21, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Overall this was a completely decent list. The only major issue I have with it is Don’t Rain on My Parade. I don’t understand, and I never will, why people even like her version of that. It’s WAY too much. Too many changes in the melody, it just sounds out of breath and it’s exhausting to listen to. Otherwise I’d remove “Forget You” and add Baby It’s Cold Outside, I’d replace Run the World(Girls) with Born This Way (can’t believe it’s not on your list!), and remove a few others to add Not the Boy Next Door, True Colors and Bohemian Rhapsody. Teenage Dream also needs to be further down the list. Like, 19 or something.

Comment by writingtears – October 21, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

2. Say a little prayer
    3. The boy is mine
    4. A house is not a home/One less bell to answer
    5. Hello
    6. Total eclipse of the heart
    7. Bohemian Rhapsody
    8. Somebody to love (sam & artie)
    9. Baby its cold outside