Are You Still Crazy for American Horror Story?

American Horror Story AsylumFX’s American Horror Story: Asylum opened the creaky gates to Briarcliff Manor on Wednesday night — do you plan to stay a while?

RELATED | TVLine’s American Horror Story Character Guide: Who’s Who — and What Are They Up To? — in the Asylum

Asylum started in the present day, where a couple of horndog honeymooners (played by Adam Levine and Jenna Dewan) are getting their freak on at the site of the long-abandoned Briarcliff Manor. Alas, they make the fatal mistake of digging too deeply into the haunted institution’s dark corners, with grisly consequence.

Cut to the ordinary circa-1960s existence of filling station wonk Kit Walker (played by Evan Peters), whose return home to the embrace of loving wife Alma is interrupted by blinding lights, deafening noise, laws of physics run amok and glimpses of otherworldly beings.

We then meet Lana, a reporter arriving at the hustling, bustling Briarcliff ostensibly to do a fluff piece on their in-house bakery. In truth, she’s really there to get the skinny on their newest patient, “Bloody Face” (aka Kit!), who’s accused of wearing masks made from the skin of his decapitated murder victims — Alma included.

Upon becoming wise to Lana’s agenda, Sister Jude gets the journo ejected from the premises. Lana later sneaks her way back inside thanks to an assist from “stupid!” Sister Mary Eunice (Lily Rabe). But soon enough she is caught (or grabbed) again, and this time with harrowing ramifications: She is admitted, against her will, as a patient. And once Sister Jude strong-arms Lana’s lesbian lover Wendy into keeping mum, there Lana will stay, to get what can only be described as the ultimate “exclusive” on the asylum’s unorthodox ways.

RELATED | American Horror Story Lures Dylan McDermott Back For Asylum-Set Season 2

Elsewhere at Briarcliff we met Dr. Arthur Arden (James Cromwell), a scientist who performs experiments on patients that tend to… disappear. Next on his table is Kit, from whom, during his exam, he extracts a small, hard, flat object… that then sprouts legs and transforms into a robotic, Falling Skies-ish bug, which scurries away. What?

Other characters that were introduced: Monsignor Timothy Howard (played by Joseph Fiennes), of whom Sister Jude is fiercely protective and about whom she has sinful fantasies; Shelley (Chloe Sevigny), the asylum’s resident nympho fluent in “French and Greek”; and Grace (Lizzie Brocheré), a longtime patient who shows Kit the ropes upon his arrival.

Does Horror Story‘s new chapter look scary-good? Or will this one scare you away? Vote in our poll, then sound off in Comments.

1. Corinne says:

I liked it a lot. Not completely loving it yet. I loved last season’s starter episode better.

• Annie says:

I’m so pissed. I had the timer set up for all new episodes for the DVR but because it was listed as “American Horror Story: Asylum” my DVR thought it was a separate show and I MISSED IT. And it’s nowhere online that I can find (at least non-torrent, legal sites), so I have to wait til next week to tape the rerun at midnight or whatever. Ugh.

• I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought how cool it was that it is so totally different. If it had been the same in anyway, I don’t think I would have liked it as much. This roller-coaster ride through hell is going to be blast!

2. Ryan says:

That was…AMAZING. Probably because I went in with the lowest expectations ever knowing that Murphy and Falchuk are still involved. I’m so relieved that it started off killer, unlike last season, which began with such a lame “Pilot” (but improved infinitely with each episode). Can’t wait until next Wednesday.

• RS says:

What have you been smoking? Last season’s best was the pilot. It was epic and grabbed hold of the viewers early. The season was consistently good, though didn’t bear as great an impact as that first episode. And the finale was a fail, with many loose ends and a badly timed story progression. The season in general, though, was still great.

As for today, strong episode. I’m not fully sold yet, though, and am curious to see how they make good use of Adam Levine. I trust the writers and the cast, so hopefully – unlike last season – they’re waiting to peak later.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

haha. I also kept my expectations low because of the Murphy/Falchuk think. And I ended up really liking it too. Those guys always get props though for having excellent, very stylistic art direction. They always excel in that, and this was no exception. My only complaints were not enough Joseph Fiennes! And I am hoping his character starts to get deviant really soon. And with someone other than Jessica Lang. She is too old. It’s not sexy. I want to see Chloe Sevigny go after him. I’m glad he’s actually using his real accent on the show, or at least I think he is.

• JD says:

From EW: “The twist with Adam Levine being dismembered within the first five minutes was pretty shocking. But he’s still in a bunch of episodes right?
        Yes, he is going to be in a bunch of episodes. I mean, it’s clear after the first episode that he’s in a bad place. I wanted a big star in that. We actually wrote it for him. He did such a great job. He has this great movie star charisma. But what Janet Leigh was to Psycho, Adam is to this season of American Horror Story. He does not perish as quickly as anybody. And maybe he lives — I’m not saying anything.”

• Rain says:

I disliked last years pilot so much I didn’t bother finishing it. Then they had a marthon on after a few episodes and I decided to give it another try since so many were raving about it. I’m glad I stuck through the pilot that time because the rest of the show ended up being so much better!! Now after a few watchings I actually love the pilot. I’m feeling kinda the same towards this years pilot. I liked it, but wasn’t in love yet. I feel like I need a few more viewings to really get everything that happened.

3. Kristin says:

Amazing!!!!

4. Mike says:

I don’t know why I continue to watch this show. I must hate myself.

5. Brianna says:

Brilliant television which is shocking coming from Murphy but I really loved it and I think it will be much better than the previous season.

6. Courtney S says:

I am not at all ashamed to admit that the premiere gave me the WILLIES something fierce!

7. Tallulah says:

I so want to watch, but could only get through half of last season. It is simultaneous the most amazing and bloody horrible show I’ve ever seen.

8. Jane says:

I just noticed that AmericanHorrorStory.com is for sale! I love this show and would love to run a fan site about it!!!

9. Matt says:

Jessica Lange can do no wrong! Can’t wait for more.

10. Jack says:

I thought the episode was a little slow compare with last year. Also all of the promos let us to believe that it was a bout Demons and religion but I only saw was a Doctor Frankenstein and aliens which I thought were in Kits mind but apparently were real. I did enjoy Jessica Lang performance as Sister Jude I think there is another emmy her way. One think that came to mind were the honeymooners and showing them back that maybe if the show keep getting renew maybe be a season where all the story lines from this season and last will be combine.

• Kristin says:

I agree. I wasn’t sold last year until midway through episode two. I not in love with this season…yet…like I was last year, but I fully expect to be.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Keep in mind this show likes to genre jump with every episode. I’m sure we’re getting to religious and supernatural horror pretty soon.

11. Rrrrrr says:

Is it wrong that I found Jessica Lange’s fantasy scene with the Monsignor really hot? Yes?

12. Sarah J says:

Who are these people who voted this amazing? It was merely ok, at best.

13. Shey says:

It was amazing!!! Loved it!!

14. It was awesome, I already love this season, I did not fall in love with season 1 till midway but I can already tell this will be the best season yet to come. I love that this season has to do with aliens,but i’m guessing its much bigger then meets the eyes, because we all know already that aliens are on the show but thier got to be more to it.

15. Liza180 says:

Jury is still out for me. It took me awhile to get into it last year, but about halfway through it got rolling! I’m hoping this year is the same. I love Evan Peters…he can do no wrong. I’m not too keen on aliens and would rather have demons and ghosts so I hope they stay with that. However, it was incredibly scary (as anything set in an asylum would be) and the cast is really great. Looking forward to seeing how much more demented it gets.

16. BL says:

I liked the S01 pilot but didn’t become addicted until S02. I liked this pilot mainly because Evan Peters is so dang good. I will not miss a single episode though because you never know what you’ll get with this show.

17. Brad says:

After all the hype for the show last year I was disappointed. It was a good show, but not as good as I had heard and I found it a little too predictable. This episode however was better than the entirety of the first season. The only problem I can see with this season is the aliens plot. It really just doesn’t seem like a good fit with the rest of the show. Hopefully that changes over the course of the season.

• suzi says:

I’m guessing and hoping that the aliens turn out to be demons in his head. The episode was good enough to bring me back, but I agree, somewhat predictable. I disagree about last season–it started very strong but started to fall apart towards the end. Hopefully this season will not do the same.

18. Joe says:

I have a dislike for aliens so I was just annoyed and disappointed right from the get-go. It didn’t feel like horror to me.

• bethany says:

Me too Joe. Aliens, really? I was put off immediately. That being said, I still plan to watch as there are so many other places they can go. I hope the aliens are not a center piece this season. I don’t find them scary, at all.

• Theresa says:

Yeah, I’m hoping the aliens thing was just in his head and not real. I have a great dislike for alien stories too.

19. Sam says:

While it was a decent beginning, I was disappointed that they decided to institutionalize Sarah Paulson’s character so quickly. I don’t think I can handle 12 more episodes if they’re exclusively in the asylum. Having a tether to the outside world would have made for a better push and pull, in my opinion. Plus, more Clea Duvall!

20. jim says:

The aliens really sucked. Like bad enough that I’m willing to bet its not really aliens at all haha

21. Naomie says:

Havent seen Season 2 premiet
    But was extatic with season one
    The finale seemed rushed but I will continue to be a fan!

22. Gary says:

I’m guessing and hoping that the alien thing isn’t quite what it seems. I’ll roll with it for now, but loved the rest of the episode. Especially Jessica and Evan! Evan was robbed last year not getting an Emmy nomination!

23. Jared says:

Evan Peters is so amazing. His character is like the lovable serial killer. Jessica Lange was flawless as were her scenes with Lily Rabe. This second season could go in so many directions. I’m excited to see what happens next.

24. Mellie says:

Wow, fantastic. What a great way to set up the series.

25. Lea says:

It was so so good!! Adam Levine is so freakin sexy!!!

26. Bozo says:

It gets an A for showing Evan’s butt, but even without that it did more than enough to earn a season pass. I

27. ok i liked it but not spooky like season 1 pilot. again the problem to introduce as many characters as possible but again lange everytime that had THAT smile i wanted to apologize to my screen!! not so scary and i am not happy with the aliens story…again if lange kill someone with a cross in his eye i will just be in heaven(ok u see what i did here !!)
    of course i will see all the episodes!!!

28. Planning to watch the season 2 pilot tonight, couldn’t get to it last night. Last season terrified me so I thought I would read up on last nights episode to see what I am getting myself in for. I am excited and scared to watch, but after reading some reviews I am not at all excited about aliens and I hope that really doesn’t carry through the whole season!!

29. Angel says:

I didn’t watch the first season, and was curious about this one. I honestly think that Jessica Lange’s nun, and The doc are scarier than some of the other things that could happen. I am a psych major, so some of the doc’s experiments remind of things of the past I have read in text books…terrifying by themselves. It looks interesting, though my husband, a horror fan, doesn’t think it’s scary enough.

30. Jared says:

I thought it was genius! Also was very impressed with the returning actors from season one, who really proved their talents by playing brand new characters, with not a wink of season one. And Jessica Lange, please write your acceptance speech again, because you’ve just won another Emmy for AHS!

31. NEK5552 says:

I really like it. I love the show. The only negative I didn’t like all the alien stuff. I am not into alien type shows or movies, but everything else I loved. I see Jessica getting another Emmy. I hope that one guy get nom this time to I forgot his name he was in last seasons he is playing bloody face this time around.

32. SRGG says:

It all felt rushed. Last season you were given a chance to be surprised with piecing together the puzzle pieces of who the ghost in the house were and how the whole story fit together. This pilot made this story feel like this whole season is going to be rushed.
    Why couldn’t you introduce the character of the doctor without letting the cat out of the bag that he is creating mutants and feeding dead patients to them and his cannibal inmate? Wouldn’t that have been better as a shocking second episode? ie OMG they aren’t feeding those body parts to feral animals, THE DOCTOR is feeding it to an inmate that is a cannibal!!!

33. Grayson says:

It was alright? There were some obvious Murphyisms in the season opener, and I had to push past those, but it was not as horrible as I had feared it might be.

34. Sam says:

I loved it! I slightly preferred the S1 premiere (It had more mystery and a hook) but this one rocked too. Sarah Paulson seems just as a likeable lead as Connie Britton if not more but Jessica Lange is of course the true star of the show. Love Sister Jude! I dig the atmosphere, setting, the new characters. The use of the Carrie score was awesome too. Only thing I didn’t like were the scenes with Adam Levine and Jenna Dewan, it was so trashy and of C-movie quality. I’m not sure what I feel about them continuing with that scene throughout the next few episodes (if not the entire season). The episode also felt a little rushed but overall it managed to exceed my expectations and then some! Can’t wait to see Franka Potente, Eric Stonestreet and Ian McShane and well everyone! Hopefully the rest of the season will be just as good and I hope they won’t run out of steam.

35. nate p says:

Last season it grew on me. The pilot didn’t really catch me but within a few weeks I was hooked. This pilot got me right away. I’m so excited for this seaon and to see what crazy and sick things they throw at us. Almost missed it cause its not under the same name as last year. Asylum is gonna be great

36. Lexie says:

I really disliked what I saw of Season 1, but this looks promising. The creepy asylum setting appealed to me. I’m curious to see if this links in with Season 1 at all (the baby being the bringer of the apocalypse according to the Catholic Church, a Catholic asylum…) – I think it would be kind of cool for it to be revealed, in some future season, that all the characters were linked (Tate and Kit, for example) for some divine punishment. But then, I really like the Big Explanation in mysteries.

It’d be interesting if Kit’s hallucinations were a psychological problem, but I doubt they will be.

37. Eve says:

I love this show but the first episode felt a bit disconnected to me