Exclusive

Castle's First Christmas: Exclusive Details!

CastleChristmas will come early — yet finally! — for ABC’s Castle, which will unwrap its first-ever Yuletide-themed episode on Dec. 3, TVLine has learned.

What’s more, we’ve secured exclusive details on the caper that will sprinkle the 12 Precinct’s holiday with something other than cheer.

RELATED | Castle Recap: ‘Her Name Was Kate!’

The set-up: When a bearded man in a Santa suit carrying an ID reading “Kris Kringle” falls from the sky in Central Park, Castle, Beckett et al are on the hunt to find the person who killed the jolly gent. But in the course of their snooping, they learn — earmuffs, kids! — that this particular St. Nick may have been more naughty than nice.

RELATED | Castle Déjà Scoop: Nathan Fillion Faces Off With His One Life to Live Predecessor

And yes, somewhere amidst this less-than-merry murder investigation, Castle and Beckett prepare to spend their first Christmas together. The episode title, “Secret Santa,” meanwhile has us wondering: With one member of their crime-fighting clan already wise to the “Caskett” coupling, will it still be concealed from anyone come December?

1. martina says:

I don’t think so. Ryan will have a hard time keeping his mouth shut and Caskett will have an even harder time keep hiding their relationship! I assume Lanie also knows (or suspects something) by now, so Espo’s the only one in the dark, besides Gates!

2. JustPassingThrough says:

3. Is Stana going to sing again?

4. Jane says:

So excited! Slight ripoff of that one Bones episode, but I believe this will be even better. This season has been awesome.

• Alan says:

everything’s been done already somewhere, you really think there are any new plots left

• Jane says:

Agree with that. It’s just bones had a guy in a Santa suit who’s legal name was Kris Kringle, if I remember correctly. And I’m not criticizing. I don’t really want Castle to be uber original. I love it just the way it is.

• zaza says:

A dead Santa who’s more naughty than nice definitely has been done. I think it would be more Castle-y if the Santa was more mysterious and at the end, they were a little unsure that he wasn’t Santa. a la Miracle on 34th Street.

• And before Bones, a lot of others did too! Does that make Bones a ripoff? Not for me, it´s normal the shows use those special times, like Valentine´s day, f.ex.:) What matters is that the fans have a good moment watching it:) I´m also a Bones fan (well, not so much lately, and as much as Castle´s) and remember enjoying that episode.
      And yes, I´m so looking for a Castle Christmas:)

• Annie says:

And that Mentalist episode … Still, I have faith Castle’s writers will do it better.

5. Dai says:

I think Bones had a reaaaaally similar case in one of their xmas episodes. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it anyway. I can’t wait for Castle and Beckett’s first christmas together!!!!!

6. holly says:

hmmm what will the gift be??

7. april-ann says:

More Hamptons, more Hamptons!!

8. baba says:

*Jumps for joy!* Yesssss.

9. Andrea says:

I’m so excited for this episode. I’ve been crossing my fingers and toes in the hope of a Christmas episode for the last couple of years! Castle does themed episodes so well, this one is bound to be wonderful!

10. El S Boy says:

I want Stana in a naughty Mrs Santa outfits :D

11. Patrick says:

Damn Castle is turning into a garbage fest this season, last night’s episode was a big disappointment. Sigh, I miss what it used to be.

• mysteriousmystery says:

Nice try, Patrick…but we know a troll when we smell one. And you REEK of troll. People who don’t like a particular show don’t waste their time reading articles about it, let alone commenting on it. Don’t be a hater.

• T says:

I’m with you. And criticizing the show does NOT mean you’re a troll. Geez, some people are just strange when it comes to their TV shows.

• megshells says:

While I might not go so far as to call Patrick a troll (’cause let’s face it, he’s entitled to his opinion), I have to say, I really DON’T get it when people read about and comment on shows they don’t like. I don’t know about you, but I skip over those articles; I don’t waste my time reading them, nor do I waste my time commenting on them. I have better things to do. Just my humble opinion, here.

• Mj9000 says:

Are you watching the same show as the rest of us?

12. megshells says:

Commence excitement explosion over this episode in three, two, one…

13. tony says:

All I want to see in this episode KATE TELLING I LOVE YOU everything will be Good GRAVY

14. Kelsey Tape says:

Reblogged this on Love. Laugh. Always. and commented:
    Bring on the Christmas cheer!

15. Mari says:

I read ‘Secret Stana’ every.single.time! JFC

16. Jen says:

Bones did an episode with a very similar case and even same victim’s name some seasons ago. Kudos for originality, Marlowe. Especially with the “Castle being accused of murder” episode coming.

• beckstle says:

@ Jen

I gather you have NEVER seen Miracle on 34th Street, because then you would know how idiotic saying Castle stole using the name Kris Kringle from Bones truly is. Matt already said it, but procedurals all have done variations on these themes for as long as the genre’s been around. Borrowing style from old 30’s and 40’s films has also been around – BEFORE Moonlighting, nevermind before Bones. Hart & Hart anyone? (I’m sure Matt could back even further with his TV history knowledge.)

Bones will be spoofing a dance competition, which Castle did that last season. You don’t see Castle fans saying Bones is copying that because Castle fans realize that certain premises are used over and over by every tv show and that it has nothing to do with a show “copying” another show. For instance, your other thing of Castle’s being accused of murder is somehow copying Bones. COLUMBO and KOJACK were accused of murder, Jessica Fletcher, Jennifer & Johnathan Hart. Like, seriously, Castle is copying Bones? Even if you don’t know those shows, you can bet every TV writer in the business does. Bones fans need to get over this idea that the cases on Bones are so unique.

Enjoy your show for what it is. All the harping on Castle does is make it seem like you aren’t totally happy with Bones.

• Kori says:

^^^this. Also Castle will be doing a “documentary” style episode… much like X-Files did years ago. Film and television is nothing more than recycled ideas with new spins. I’m sure Marlowe is not going to make the episode seem like a carbon copy of any other show. Of all of the episodes of Castle I have seen, I have never felt like ‘oh, I’ve seen this before on another show’.

• mco says:

Exactly this. It’s what I personnally call a “classic” plot on procedural. With Castle we still have some classic plot that aren’t been used (but surely will be), like : The hero is drug without his knowledge (Bones did it, Mentalist too), a “what if” episode, The Heroes have to take care of a baby or a little kid (Done almost in every show), the hero is the main suspect (every show did it and for Castle it’s next week), and I forgot a lot of classic theme that Castle has yet to cover.
        It’s like the law of procedurals. And Castle already done a lot like the hostage situation, they meet a team that’s very like them, the domestics terrorists, the come-back from an ex, the heroes are target by a bad guy, They have to investigate solo and against protocol, the victime is a close friends, and again, I forgot.
        Again, watch a lot of more TV and procedurals before accusing Bones, Castle, CSI, Mentalist, NCIS or any procedural of ripping-of a plot.

17. Krithika says:

Oooohhh…i can hardly wait!!! Castle does everything with a little sprinkle of Casketty-goodness and I’m sure this episode is not gonna be any sprinkle…more like a big shower of awesomeness!!

18. Winter says:

I don’t know why people are screaming “this has been done before” — this show is probably the best current example of TV comfort food. It’s the modern equivalent of “Hart to Hart” and borrows more than a little from “Remington Steele,” and those shows borrowed heavily from what came before them, such as “The Thin Man”.

In other words, I’m not expecting The Wire, Mad Men or Homeland. I want my comfort food. And sometimes, I like my comfort food cheesy.

• beckstle says:

@Winter

We aren’t knocking Castle, or any other show, for using boiler plate plots. We love these shows and every show does their unique spin on them – some really well, others not so much. The point is that no show can claim to have been so unique in their case plots to then claim that other shows using similar basic templates are somehow “copying” from their show. It’s a ridiculous assertion. The genius in a good procedural is how they use these cases and in the character and story development, not the actual setups.

19. Castanati says:

Well, Christmas comes early indeed, in between murder and all the secrets that still exist around the Caskett coupling. I am wondering will this be a family style Christmas with Jim Beckett included? Maybe dinner at Castles for the family? Or will everyone be invited into their first Christmas – I hope not? I wonder what Ricky is getting Kate for Christmas and what Kate is getting Castle? It should be fun to watch them navigate their first Christmas, murder, and maybe Gates will get the dolls that Castle broke (it sure wouldn’t hurt his image with Gates). Christmas has to be special to Kate, since it has only been her and dad – I hope they spend some development time with this episode, its an important overture in their relationship, and valentines day coming up, also there 100 or maybe 101 episode for the Castle series!

Either way I love this show, it craftsmanship, its artistry, the writing, and Stana new hair (you go girl!).

20. Teri says:

Castle is better than ever. Can’t wait to see what Kate gets Rick for Christmas…for someone who has everything!

• Castanati says:

“Christmas Castle!” This will be an interesting episode, because no body knows how the episode is really layed out. We know that there is a santa with a not so great background after being murdered, but we have no idea of what the rest of the episode will look like. We Castle, replace Gates dolls that he destroyed, and finally end up on Gates (good side); will Lanie and a certain hot Latin detective have a kiss under the mistletoe? Can Castle find the perfect gift for Kate to really express how he feels, and for Kate – what does a detective buy for a millionaire boyfriend who has everything – should all prove to be interesting and fun!

21. anony says:

ooooh yess!! spending christmas together… i can’t wait

22. Namnam says:

CASTLE IN A SANTA HAT!!!! And Beckett too. And everyone in the precinct including Gates. Now that, my friends, would be awesome. Its like THE SANTA HATS ARE TAKING OVER NYC… or at least LA NYC… I live in New York and Castle isn’t filmed here. Poop.

23. Jennifer says:

Ok btw I think it will be awesome but forget this episode because episode 8 is dinner with the parents anyway everyone except gates knows so it will truly be an amazing episode and I think this season is unique because there’s been only 3 actual episodes that would be the same if beckett and castle weren’t together and those are 5×03,5×07,and,5×06