Castle's First Christmas: Exclusive Details!

Get More: Exclusive, Scoop

CastleChristmas will come early — yet finally! — for ABC’s Castle, which will unwrap its first-ever Yuletide-themed episode on Dec. 3, TVLine has learned.

What’s more, we’ve secured exclusive details on the caper that will sprinkle the 12 Precinct’s holiday with something other than cheer.

RELATED | Castle Recap: ‘Her Name Was Kate!’

The set-up: When a bearded man in a Santa suit carrying an ID reading “Kris Kringle” falls from the sky in Central Park, Castle, Beckett et al are on the hunt to find the person who killed the jolly gent. But in the course of their snooping, they learn — earmuffs, kids! — that this particular St. Nick may have been more naughty than nice.

RELATED | Castle Déjà Scoop: Nathan Fillion Faces Off With His One Life to Live Predecessor

And yes, somewhere amidst this less-than-merry murder investigation, Castle and Beckett prepare to spend their first Christmas together. The episode title, “Secret Santa,” meanwhile has us wondering: With one member of their crime-fighting clan already wise to the “Caskett” coupling, will it still be concealed from anyone come December?

Tags:

Comments (63)

• I don’t think so. Ryan will have a hard time keeping his mouth shut and Caskett will have an even harder time keep hiding their relationship! I assume Lanie also knows (or suspects something) by now, so Espo’s the only one in the dark, besides Gates!

Comment by martina – October 16, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by JustPassingThrough – October 16, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Stana going to sing again?

Comment by Krissi Gailey – October 16, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooh that would be nice, heard she’s got a great singing voice. Just a few lines would make my day :)

Comment by Symce – October 16, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Watch “The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice” if you would like to hear her sing. She’s good!

Comment by zaza – October 16, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • was that actually her, i thought that was overdubbed when i watched it

Comment by Alan – October 16, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, that was actually Stana singing.

Comment by Beverley Williams – October 16, 2012 04:29 PM PDT
  • So excited! Slight ripoff of that one Bones episode, but I believe this will be even better. This season has been awesome.

Comment by Jane – October 16, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • everything’s been done already somewhere, you really think there are any new plots left

Comment by Alan – October 16, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree with that. It’s just bones had a guy in a Santa suit who’s legal name was Kris Kringle, if I remember correctly. And I’m not criticizing. I don’t really want Castle to be uber original. I love it just the way it is.

Comment by Jane – October 16, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A dead Santa who’s more naughty than nice definitely has been done. I think it would be more Castle-y if the Santa was more mysterious and at the end, they were a little unsure that he wasn’t Santa. a la Miracle on 34th Street.

Comment by zaza – October 16, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And before Bones, a lot of others did too! Does that make Bones a ripoff? Not for me, it´s normal the shows use those special times, like Valentine´s day, f.ex.:) What matters is that the fans have a good moment watching it:) I´m also a Bones fan (well, not so much lately, and as much as Castle´s) and remember enjoying that episode.
      And yes, I´m so looking for a Castle Christmas:)

Comment by Maria Ferreira – October 16, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • a slight mistake…. when posted as much as Castle´s should be NOT as much as Castle´s:)

Comment by Maria Ferreira – October 16, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And that Mentalist episode … Still, I have faith Castle’s writers will do it better.

Comment by Annie – October 16, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Glad to see I’m not the only one who remembered The Mentalist also did it. I guess this is the best way for a crime drama to do a Christmas episode. Can’t wait to see how Castle does it.

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – October 17, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Bones had a reaaaaally similar case in one of their xmas episodes. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it anyway. I can’t wait for Castle and Beckett’s first christmas together!!!!!

Comment by Dai – October 16, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Mentalist did so as we’ll I think. No problem plenty of Santas to go round. :-)

Comment by Joy – October 16, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And THE CLOSER… and… probably 80% of every procedural there has ever been :D

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 16, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And Monk and Psych.

Comment by Tara – October 16, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Let us not forget Eureka.

Comment by Bouncy Castle – October 17, 2012 06:46 AM PDT
        • I think it’s safe to say that a procedural has done or will do this storyline when they want to do a Christmas episode :)

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – October 17, 2012 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hmmm what will the gift be??

Comment by holly – October 16, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Hamptons, more Hamptons!!

Comment by april-ann – October 16, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You all do realize we will never ever see them in the Hampton’s again? That house availablity was a one time deal.

Comment by lv2bnsb – October 16, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because everything on tv shows is absolutely real and all shows are taped on location?

Comment by april-ann – October 16, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Jumps for joy!* Yesssss.

Comment by baba – October 16, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for this episode. I’ve been crossing my fingers and toes in the hope of a Christmas episode for the last couple of years! Castle does themed episodes so well, this one is bound to be wonderful!

Comment by Andrea – October 16, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Stana in a naughty Mrs Santa outfits :D

Comment by El S Boy – October 16, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, yes, so much yes.

Comment by Alan – October 16, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn Castle is turning into a garbage fest this season, last night’s episode was a big disappointment. Sigh, I miss what it used to be.

Comment by Patrick – October 16, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice try, Patrick…but we know a troll when we smell one. And you REEK of troll. People who don’t like a particular show don’t waste their time reading articles about it, let alone commenting on it. Don’t be a hater.

Comment by mysteriousmystery – October 16, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kill the trolls! :D

Comment by katzie – October 16, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Might be time to blow up some bridges.

Comment by Templar – October 16, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Couldn´t have said it better:)

Comment by Maria Ferreira – October 16, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is a difference between commenting on a show you don’t like just to be obnoxious (troll), and criticizing a show you watch (not a troll). Patrick clearly has been watching the show and doesn’t like the direction it’s going in – and that is his right, and doesn’t make him a troll.

For the record, I disagree with him, and love this season so far.

Comment by Lauren – October 18, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you. And criticizing the show does NOT mean you’re a troll. Geez, some people are just strange when it comes to their TV shows.

Comment by T – October 16, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I might not go so far as to call Patrick a troll (’cause let’s face it, he’s entitled to his opinion), I have to say, I really DON’T get it when people read about and comment on shows they don’t like. I don’t know about you, but I skip over those articles; I don’t waste my time reading them, nor do I waste my time commenting on them. I have better things to do. Just my humble opinion, here.

Comment by megshells – October 16, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you watching the same show as the rest of us?

Comment by Mj9000 – October 16, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Commence excitement explosion over this episode in three, two, one…

Comment by megshells – October 16, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I want to see in this episode KATE TELLING I LOVE YOU everything will be Good GRAVY

Comment by tony – October 16, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i can see that being castle’s christmas present

Comment by Alan – October 16, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah me too , that would be great !! but if she says it, it’s not just a gift for castle, it’s also for us =) this season is amazing , it’s getting better and better

Comment by gossip2010 – October 16, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on ValTastic.

Comment by valtastic – October 16, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on ValTastic.

Comment by valtastic – October 16, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Love. Laugh. Always. and commented:
    Bring on the Christmas cheer!

Comment by Kelsey Tape – October 16, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read ‘Secret Stana’ every.single.time! JFC

Comment by Mari – October 16, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HA!! Glad to know I’m not the only one whose mind is playing that trick on them!

Comment by megshells – October 16, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or Secret Satan. ;)

Comment by Lisa – October 16, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones did an episode with a very similar case and even same victim’s name some seasons ago. Kudos for originality, Marlowe. Especially with the “Castle being accused of murder” episode coming.

Comment by Jen – October 16, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @ Jen

I gather you have NEVER seen Miracle on 34th Street, because then you would know how idiotic saying Castle stole using the name Kris Kringle from Bones truly is. Matt already said it, but procedurals all have done variations on these themes for as long as the genre’s been around. Borrowing style from old 30′s and 40′s films has also been around – BEFORE Moonlighting, nevermind before Bones. Hart & Hart anyone? (I’m sure Matt could back even further with his TV history knowledge.)

Bones will be spoofing a dance competition, which Castle did that last season. You don’t see Castle fans saying Bones is copying that because Castle fans realize that certain premises are used over and over by every tv show and that it has nothing to do with a show “copying” another show. For instance, your other thing of Castle’s being accused of murder is somehow copying Bones. COLUMBO and KOJACK were accused of murder, Jessica Fletcher, Jennifer & Johnathan Hart. Like, seriously, Castle is copying Bones? Even if you don’t know those shows, you can bet every TV writer in the business does. Bones fans need to get over this idea that the cases on Bones are so unique.

Enjoy your show for what it is. All the harping on Castle does is make it seem like you aren’t totally happy with Bones.

Comment by beckstle – October 16, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ^^^this. Also Castle will be doing a “documentary” style episode… much like X-Files did years ago. Film and television is nothing more than recycled ideas with new spins. I’m sure Marlowe is not going to make the episode seem like a carbon copy of any other show. Of all of the episodes of Castle I have seen, I have never felt like ‘oh, I’ve seen this before on another show’.

Comment by Kori – October 16, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly this. It’s what I personnally call a “classic” plot on procedural. With Castle we still have some classic plot that aren’t been used (but surely will be), like : The hero is drug without his knowledge (Bones did it, Mentalist too), a “what if” episode, The Heroes have to take care of a baby or a little kid (Done almost in every show), the hero is the main suspect (every show did it and for Castle it’s next week), and I forgot a lot of classic theme that Castle has yet to cover.
        It’s like the law of procedurals. And Castle already done a lot like the hostage situation, they meet a team that’s very like them, the domestics terrorists, the come-back from an ex, the heroes are target by a bad guy, They have to investigate solo and against protocol, the victime is a close friends, and again, I forgot.
        Again, watch a lot of more TV and procedurals before accusing Bones, Castle, CSI, Mentalist, NCIS or any procedural of ripping-of a plot.

Comment by mco – October 17, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oooohhh…i can hardly wait!!! Castle does everything with a little sprinkle of Casketty-goodness and I’m sure this episode is not gonna be any sprinkle…more like a big shower of awesomeness!!

Comment by Krithika – October 17, 2012 02:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why people are screaming “this has been done before” — this show is probably the best current example of TV comfort food. It’s the modern equivalent of “Hart to Hart” and borrows more than a little from “Remington Steele,” and those shows borrowed heavily from what came before them, such as “The Thin Man”.

In other words, I’m not expecting The Wire, Mad Men or Homeland. I want my comfort food. And sometimes, I like my comfort food cheesy.

Comment by Winter – October 17, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Winter

We aren’t knocking Castle, or any other show, for using boiler plate plots. We love these shows and every show does their unique spin on them – some really well, others not so much. The point is that no show can claim to have been so unique in their case plots to then claim that other shows using similar basic templates are somehow “copying” from their show. It’s a ridiculous assertion. The genius in a good procedural is how they use these cases and in the character and story development, not the actual setups.

Comment by beckstle – October 17, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was anyone claiming uniqueness

Comment by Winter – October 17, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Winter – Yep. Read through the comments – that’s what started the conversation. Fans of another show claiming Castle was copying from their show.

Comment by beckstle – October 18, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, Christmas comes early indeed, in between murder and all the secrets that still exist around the Caskett coupling. I am wondering will this be a family style Christmas with Jim Beckett included? Maybe dinner at Castles for the family? Or will everyone be invited into their first Christmas – I hope not? I wonder what Ricky is getting Kate for Christmas and what Kate is getting Castle? It should be fun to watch them navigate their first Christmas, murder, and maybe Gates will get the dolls that Castle broke (it sure wouldn’t hurt his image with Gates). Christmas has to be special to Kate, since it has only been her and dad – I hope they spend some development time with this episode, its an important overture in their relationship, and valentines day coming up, also there 100 or maybe 101 episode for the Castle series!

Either way I love this show, it craftsmanship, its artistry, the writing, and Stana new hair (you go girl!).

Comment by Castanati – October 19, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle is better than ever. Can’t wait to see what Kate gets Rick for Christmas…for someone who has everything!

Comment by Teri – October 19, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Christmas Castle!” This will be an interesting episode, because no body knows how the episode is really layed out. We know that there is a santa with a not so great background after being murdered, but we have no idea of what the rest of the episode will look like. We Castle, replace Gates dolls that he destroyed, and finally end up on Gates (good side); will Lanie and a certain hot Latin detective have a kiss under the mistletoe? Can Castle find the perfect gift for Kate to really express how he feels, and for Kate – what does a detective buy for a millionaire boyfriend who has everything – should all prove to be interesting and fun!

Comment by Castanati – October 26, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ooooh yess!! spending christmas together… i can’t wait

Comment by anony – October 23, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLE IN A SANTA HAT!!!! And Beckett too. And everyone in the precinct including Gates. Now that, my friends, would be awesome. Its like THE SANTA HATS ARE TAKING OVER NYC… or at least LA NYC… I live in New York and Castle isn’t filmed here. Poop.

Comment by Namnam – November 5, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok btw I think it will be awesome but forget this episode because episode 8 is dinner with the parents anyway everyone except gates knows so it will truly be an amazing episode and I think this season is unique because there’s been only 3 actual episodes that would be the same if beckett and castle weren’t together and those are 5×03,5×07,and,5×06

Comment by Jennifer – November 13, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post