Castle Recap: 'Kate! Her Name Was Kate!'

This week on ABC’s Castle, Rick and Kate did their very best to keep their romantic weekend getaway to the Hamptons on the down low, lest anyone back at the precinct get wise to their secret relationship.

But what’s the saying about “best laid plans”…?

RELATED | Castle Déjà Scoop: Nathan Fillion Faces Off With His One Life to Live Predecessor

During my visit to the set back in July, when I asked Seamus Dever how the boys might respond once the “Caskett” romance is revealed to the rest of the 12th, he said, “I think Ryan’s ultimate reaction will be, ‘Yeah, so? We thought it would’ve happened four years ago.’ I think that’s what Ryan would feel – ‘Finally! God, the tension! We can move on with our lives.'”

Instead, his take boiled down to three little words: Son of a….

Backing up a bit…. Castle and Beckett’s getaway was interrupted pretty promptly — and just as some skinny dipping was about to ensue — when a gunshot victim stumbled into Rick’s pool. The vic had snitched on some fellow financial scam pals, and was seen fighting with his mistress on the beach not long before dying (Hi, Carly No. 2!), so there were multiple suspects of varying degrees. One of them Kate and Rick interrogated together, while helping out local police chief Brady — and it was that same suspect who, when grilled a second time back in New York City, unwittingly dropped quite the bombshell in Ryan’s lap as he described his Q&A with Castle and “his girlfriend,” a tall, brown-haired girl with an “awesome” body. “Kate!” the guy eventually recalled. “Her name was Kate!”

Did Ryan immediately share his findings with Rick during their next check-in? Nope. Instead, he teased, “I’m pretty sure that Lerner told me everything,” as Caskett, via speakerphone, hung on his every word. Neither did he come clean to Esposito, with whom he had spent much of the hour gathering clues about Beckett’s mystery boyfriend. Rather, he argued, to Espo’s disappointment, they should let Kate’s private life be private.

RELATED | Castle Exclusive: Lost Alum and The Closer Vet to Guest-Star in Mafia-Tinged Installment

Speaking of Kate’s private life, and despite the intrusion of murder, there were fun and/or romantic moments to be found, including and beyond Kate’s inclination to take a late-night swim au naturel. Chief Brady mistaking Kate for a hooker. The two of ‘em getting heated and closing in to a clinch as they hashed out the final details of the murder mystery. Beckett’s sexy epilogue there in the candlelight, about how “nothing, not even another murder on the beach, could stop her from getting… what she desired… most.”

But for my money, and perhaps yours, the two top moments were, in no particular order:

* Kate taking in the “spectacular” scenery of Rick’s Hamptons home, yet unable to not “wonder how many other girls have gotten this tour.” Rick allows that while yes, there were others, “None of them were you.”

* Rick mulling what their “couple name” would be à la Brangelina. “Rickate…? Kate-ick…? Caskett! Ooh, that’s a good one, because of the whole murder thing.”

Have you ever met a meta moment you didn’t like?

1. adam says:

Loved This Episode Just Hate That it’s on the same time as Revolution. I guess that’s what dvr is for lol :D

2. Liz says:

Hilarious episode and I cannot wait until the 29th with its SPN-esque dead body on the ceiling.

Also, I love that Tamara Braun was on, which brings our Carly count up to 2/4. We just need whoever that woman that replaced Tamara for a week was and Laura Wright to get 4/4.

3. Kate says:

I LOVED this episode! Seriously, the chemistry between those two is unbelievable. Of course I loved the hot ending, but I agree about one of the best moments being when Castle told Beckett that none of the other women were her. I love when one of them manages to say exactly the right thing at exactly the right time- must come from all those years of that so not happening! The show has been SO good this season. It’s like old school early season fun with them being together. Doesn’t get better than that! Thanks for the recap!

4. I still can’t believe that this show keeps getting better and better for the best ways possible! I loved this episode and can’t wait for next!

5. eridapo says:

Love the episode. So far this season Castle is 4 for 4.

6. martina says:

I didn’t love this episode as much as I wanted to…

7. James says:

So Good. Marlowe is a frigging genuis not only has he handled thier relationship well but he’s made the entire show a thousand times better. thank god for dvr all i can say now i can go watch it again

8. VACastlefan says:

Loved it! On viewing #3 already….. yep I suffer from Obsessive Castle Disorder…..and I’m not ashamed to admit it!

9. Diane says:

Seriously, does it get any better than this season. The relationship is still in development, which is what the viewer wants. And although the dialogue is great, nothing beats the glances they give each other, especially Beckett to Castle. Too bad we have to wait two weeks for the next episode.

10. Jess says:

Best interrogation scene ever! Had me in stitches laughing!

11. Ky Johnson says:

I’ve died and gone to Caskett heaven. Because this show cannot be real. It’s just too good.

12. Jane says:

Ryan. Finding out. Was the best.

• Dreamrose says:

The look on Ryan’s face when the guy said Castle’s girlfriend was named Kate? Absolutely priceless! And the fact that he’s keeping this veritable bombshell a secret – even from best bro Espo – definitely speaks to his loyalty and friendship.

• znachki says:

I suspect that another reason for Ryan not telling, is that he knows what the ethical implications are. It’s not that he thinks that Esposito would go to the Captain or anything, but that the fewer peope who know, the less likely it is that anything will slip.

13. JeffDJ says:

Enjoyed the episode a lot. Smiled when Castle said “serenity” when describing his place to Beckett, heh-heh.

14. Chloe says:

My favorite moment was when he came up with their couple name: Caskett! That was a little tip of the hat to the many fans, including me, who waited and waited for their coupling to happen. Great episode!

15. Lauren says:

LOVED this episode. Way to go, Castle writing staff! The only downer was the preview for next episode. PLEASE tell me that I’m not going to have to suffer through another several-week torture fest involving a Caskett rift. I don’t think my poor heart could take that (again). ;-(

• Caskett says:

You won’t. Rest assured. They will come out stronger than ever. You’ll see…

• Katherine215 says:

Marlowe has said they’re not going to break them up; it’s more about seeing them navigate the ups and downs of a relationship. So we’ll likely see them fight/be upset with each other in this upcoming episode, but I honestly don’t think it will carry over into the next episode.

• Cheryl Linari says:

Trust the writers. They haven’t let us down yet this season.

16. Marilyn says:

I really enjoyed the ep, but I must say (and please don’t hate me for this) that I am disapointed with Castle. He’s bee trying to get Kate to the Hamptons for years. She is so excited about going (you can see her watchig the clock at the precient wating for 5:00), and then he seems to be more concerned with the murder then with her. I kind of felt sorry for her. You can see thoughout the ep that what she wants is to have romantic times with Castle. She just wanted a romantic weekend with Castle. Did you notice the commet she made when she made dinner& Castle told her, “I didn’t know you could cook” and she said, “You need to pay more attention.” The epwas funny, but I think AM should have given us more Caskett romantic moments. At least had Castle seemed more interested in Kate.

• luli says:

well kate does the same thing to castle almost at the end of the episode! i thought the ep was great, and castle is getting better by the minute!!!

• Katherine215 says:

I feel like you kind of missed the humor in him being so into the case, and then her turning around and doing it to him. It was supposed to be ironic/amusing that neither of them could stop being themselves.

And honestly, I thought it was chock full of Caskett moments. It is a detective show, after all, it can’t just be 43 minutes of them gazing adoringly at each other. That’s boring anyway, imo. I like watching them interact and be normal together.

• Laura says:

I agree 100%. Castle (the character) used to be such a romantic and now he behaves like he doesn´t care about Kate , it´s weird. I like this season but I need more romantic scenes and at least one long meaningful kiss .

• I was thinking the same thing. The handshake last week was great but they are on a romantic weekend can we get a little bit of heat?

• T says:

I know. It’s wierd. I guess it’s typical. The guy acts like he loves the girl until he gets her and then immediately takes her for granted. I’m in the disappointed camp….especially given that next episode will be an exercise in torture.

• Guppy says:

I think we all need to use our imaginations and fill in the details about what’s happening in between the moments that are on camera and in the episode. They probably touched and teased all the way out to the Hamptons for one thing. Also, between arriving and going for the (didn’t get to happen) swim, I’m thinking Castle definitely entertained Kate in the bedroom, etc. etc. After all, it’s not 24; there’s a lot that happens that we don’t get to see.

• Not to mention that final scene. I mean, the way they act around each other all the time and the looks on their faces, especially when the other is in the room (and attempts to hide their love), pretty much means that off camera, they’re entertaining each other when they can/want (to use Guppy’s word :)). I don’t question it; I just enjoy all the Casketty goodness that we get on screen.

17. ollie says:

loved the look on ryans face when kates name was dropped it was priceless

18. Jake says:

Kate-ick.. Katic… Was sure someone else would have pointed that out first :)

• jamie says:

That’s what I thought!!! Everyone is talking about the othername droppings and referrals but the one that made me grin the widest is not mentioned. Thanks :-P

19. Ivy says:

What a great episode. Nathan and Stana are seriously killing it. They always had amazing chemistry but this season they are on another level and transition to Caskett as a couple was flawless.

20. MelindaB says:

I thought that Ryan would tell Espo, but it was sweet that he decided to keep their secret. Still, I think it would be funny if Ryan, Espo and Lainie all knew about their relationship but tortured them with oblique references that made Beckett and Castle wonder what they know. :-)

I am not happy about the previews, but I have to hope that Marlowe plans to keep them together. The alternative is too awful to think about.

• zoot says:

Ryan is married…he knows that their relationship must be something special if it has taken them this long and are hiding it to protect it.

21. Ana says:

This show is addictive and delicious. It combines the best of a procedural with the continuity of a good romantic soap. This is a show for everyone and unlike other shows who have tanked after the two leads finally get together, the writing this season has surpassed previous seasons. It is outstanding and I don’t understand how the ratings are not much higher. Tonight was a ‘cherry on the top’ kind of episode. When Ryan figured out that Beckett was with Castle it was just too, too good. I whoope’d all the way. Love it!

22. Christy says:

Love, love, just all around LOVE this episode! The beginning with her watching the clock was cute, she wanted to go SO bad! Ryan and Espo vowing to find out who the secret BF is “to protect her.” Kate’s face when they said they weren’t scared of her (they should be). “None of them were you” (swoon). That final scene…WOW!! And then there was Ryan…I’ve never seen him that worked up in an interrogation! But he got the info. “Son of a…” is right! Also thought it was super sweet that he didn’t tell.

23. Kim says:

Loved this episode – even if the case portion was a bit weak. Nathan and Stana have an unbelievable chemistry. But the happy part of S5 is over and we are back to serious Castle in 2 weeks. God help us.

24. I LOVED this episode!! Too many great moments to point just one:) And the chemistry between NF and ST, WOW!! It was always there from ep.1, but this season I can´t find a word to describe it, it´s just… natural, organic, whatever!
    About next episode, looks dense and hard to watch, but the way this season has been handled, I´m sure I´ll like it vey much:)

25. Stephanie says:

This episode cracked me up so hard… so much fun stuff in this one. And I honestly was not expecting Ryan to be the first of the team to find out, and especially not like that. Very sweet of him to keep it a secret, though (although you *know* he’s going to milk it for all it’s worth for a while).

26. Lisa says:

Matt’s favorite moments were mine as well. I will add Ryan’s interrogation as well. I was laughing so hard when he was acting so tough.

I re-watched as soon as it ended it was they good. The new writers have really infused the show with a great energy so far.

‘Probable Cause’ will be more serious but I don’t mind as I know NF will be great. I only hope Beckett’s moments of doubt are resolved quickly.

27. Dean says:

This episode was hilarious. Castle trying to come up with a shipper name was to die for! My favorite was moments were Beckett and Castle’s sexy time! Stana is frickin’ hot!

28. ann says:

This show gets better every week..Those two has a chemistry between them that is awsome..Loved all of it..It will be really hard have to wait two weeks before the next epsoide..Little worried about that one,,Castle seems to get arrested for murder…Beckett is crying..Two weeks is going to be a long long time…… This show gets better and better…

29. Nan says:

Chief Brady with the red eye Shark? Jaws anyone? And Caskett and Kevin’s interrogation – OMG Marlowe you are a genius. Love every moment of this episode

30. Trista says:

Best episode ever!

31. mdb says:

I find it interesting that Kate still calls Rick ‘Castle’. Is she trying to maintain some emotional distance? In the past she has called him Rick in personal moments. The use of first or last name has always been an indicator of their emotional connection so I find it very interesting.

• Andrea says:

Someone asked Terri Edda (Andrew Marlowe- the show creator/runner- wife) about this on twitter and she said after 10+ years of marriage she sill calles him Marlowe.

• FAK says:

I think she’ll call him Rick eventually, after a new emotional line has been rossed, maybe in Probable Cause, I just saw her crying in the promo video

• Katherine215 says:

I love that she calls him Castle. It’s like her name for him. Everyone else calls him Rick, but Beckett and the rest of the 12th calls him Castle.

• crochetowl says:

At this point Castle just fits them more than her calling him Rick. Maybe at odd times she can call him Rick but otherwise…

• jamie says:

I think that crochetowl said the 12th calls him that and thats why she does. But I also think that she will call him Rick when the relationship gets more serious and she feels like part of the Castle family. At this point she is not being included (yet) as a part of his life at home, with his mother and daughter. When she will be included in that part of his life and she feels like she, in a way belongs there, she wil call him Rick like his mother and daughter does

32. Morisot says:

Castle! Your California is showing. No New Yorker says “up here” referring to the Hamptons or the Island– it is always “out here”.

33. mariel says:

My fave part of the episode was the reference to caskett. That was a hi to all the castle fandom. Soooo cute. I also love the end scene. Talk about steamy!

34. Andrea says:

I loved this episode. There were so many cute Caskett moments! The end was just fabulous. All of Matt’s favorite moments were mine as well! I also loved Ryan in this episode, Seamus Dever is just wonderful. The case also had a nice twist to it that I didn’t see coming. Such a wonderful well rounded episode!

• crochetowl says:

Ryan’s interrogation was a riot (and his reaction at the end of it) and wasn’t surprised he’s keeping Caskett a secret.

35. Caskett is canon says:

iTunes is getting a ton of business from me so far this season.

36. baba says:

The show is getting better and better!!

37. sara says:

Awesome episode!

38. Tom says:

I think the Caskett relationship (and I loved the reference in the show) has to become public for these two characters to progress. I can buy the “secret” thing for now, but if it goes on all season it’s going to get tired. I have to give Marlowe credit for, at least so far, keeping the Caskett relationship a side story and not making it the central focus of the show (which has been the kiss of death for a number of previous shows). But there is a lot of fresh territory to explore with Beckett and Castle as a couple, and I’m not sure it can be adequately explored with them sneaking around. I think the solution is to do it in small doses and not corrupt the core premise of the show. Making Beckett and Castle a couple then avoiding the topic isn’t an answer — just address it and move on. And what’s with the “secret” anyway? Office romances didn’t seem to be a problem when Beckett dated Demming or when Lanie and Esposito were a couple. Why is it a problem now? Castle, technically, doesn’t even work there and he’s friends with the mayor. It seems like a manufactured issue to me. Lastly, on a technical note — ENOUGH WITH THE SHADOWS! I’m okay with the yellow tint. I realize that retro look is hot right now. But the whole show looks like it was shot in a tunnel. Even the exterior shots looked dark in this episode. In the scene where Beckett and Castle had the gangster over for lunch Katic’s face was nearly obscured in shadow. Please, I beg you, add some fill lighting. You’re taking this “look” a little too far. There are a lot of really cool post production video effects out there, but I think you’re always better off using them selectively and with some restraint (hint: when you can’t see the faces of your central characters, you might be overdoing it).

• Katherine215 says:

Beckett and Demming didn’t work together as partners, and neither do Lanie and Esposito. Castle and Beckett do, and Gates would use any and all excuse to get rid of Castle. Especially after the dolls. :)

• Jen says:

Are you sure it’s not your television. I didn’t note any lighting issues on mine. Everything was lit fine.

• Tom says:

It’s not my television — other programming looks fine. It’s the post-production effect they’re using. Other shows use it too (Hawaii five-0 and NCIS for example). It gives a nice retro look but it darkens the shadows. You can compensate by adding more fill.

• FAK says:

LOOOOOOL Jen… Everything was lit fine here too

• GK says:

Maybe you need to tune your settings. Everything looked good.

• FAK says:

I agree but Marlowe already teased that the relationship would be totally public within the first third of the season and so far, Alexis, Martha and Ryan are no longer in the dark, so it’s not gonna get tired! Let’s just keep on trusting our beloved showrunner who’s been doing such an awesome job for over 4 years now…

• Tara says:

Adjust your TV to vivid for shows that shoot in the dark. CSI does it a lot, too. The one thing that made me nuts is in this wonderful episode was when they pulled up in front of Castle’s house the car was facing right, but seconds later in the long shot it was facing left. OCD.

39. Lorie says:

Loved, loved, loved this episode! I’ll have to see it again this wkend. Ryan’s reaction made me LOL. Kudos to him for keeping their secret!

40. FAK says:

This ep was pure awesomeness. Fantastic job! It was just perfect. My favorite moment: Kate, discovering the house, completely lost and realizing who she’s really dating, so touching to see her feeling like an insecure woman who wants to be her man’s first true love!
    The writing was great and he light hearted edge to it reminded me of old romcoms like Frank Capra’s. Stana is an incredible and unique actress, and I think she is to TV what Julia Roberts is to the big scren.
    Murder, He Wrote was I think the funniest Castle ep ever & one of my absolute favorites along with 47 Seconds, Pandora&Linchpin, Always and a few more… And the Caskett reference… Season 5 so far is amazing and fun, best show out there hands down…

41. Laura says:

In love with this episode.. love it!

42. AT says:

I honestly laughed more in the first twenty minutes of this episode than I do for most shows that are actually considered comedies. Looks like this episode will be a nice contrast to the next. Fantastic and I loved all the little shout-outs. Ryan’s interrogation and reaction were hysterical.

43. tvdiva says:

This episode was hilarious. I loved that everyone thought Kate was Castle’s hooker girlfriend. Also loved that Ryan uncovered the secret romance but like a gentleman, kept the information to himself. I am so happy the showrunners decided to go back to creating fun episodes after the last year’s dark season. Cannot wait to see what happens in the next episode – the lady on the ceiling and Castle being arrested for murder looks like an awesome story.

44. Krithika says:

Totally loved this episode!!! Laughed my gut out in that interrogation scene!! LOOOL Ryan!!!……And then i just HAD to go and see the promo on Youtube….now i’m crying my eyeballs out… :'(

45. KDub says:

There were so many amazing moments in this episode it’d be impossible to list them all without taking all day. The shots, the direction, the scenery, the dialogue, the acting, the story…everything was amazing. It was a feast for the eyes and spirit, this one. This show has earned every bit of adoration it gets.

46. davej says:

Did not enjoy this episode as much as the first 3 this season, which I thought were epic. I think part of it may have to do with the suppoting cast – they really weren’t a part of this episode as much or interacting with Caskett and I really enjoy that a lot. It reminds me of Fringe where I need Walter, Peter, and Olivia together to make it special or on White Collar where I need Neal, Peter, and Mozzi together.

47. Jen says:

Where was Kate’s scar?! All those V necks and no scar, guess she’s super good at applying cover up.
    Other than that, enjoyed all the caskett moments, I also loved the scene in the morgue with Esposito, Ryan and Lanie. I wish we could have more Lanie.

• Katherine215 says:

Isn’t the scar almost on the side of her breast? I wouldn’t think you’d be able to see it unless her shirt is pretty far down. Castle had to unbutton her shirt in Always for us to see it.

• Jen says:

Maybe not in the shirts, but there’s no way it wouldn’t been seen when she’s wearing the dress and the lingerie at the end, they’ve got really deep V-necks. Just checked and Castle only undoes one button on her dress shirt in “Always” and the scar is pretty central and about an 1-1.5″ above the middle of her bra. There’s full on frontal shots of Stana Katic in the dress and there’s no scar… and likely no bra either (brawatch ;-D)… and now I have spent way more time examining Stana Katic’s chest than I ever thought I would.
        Random thing to fixate on, but they’ve had her in turtle necks or button-ups for the past season, so I guess I just thought that if they were gonna change up her wardrobe they would make sure that the scar was there, or there would be no doubt that we couldn’t see it.

48. Castanati says:

Okay~ the Hamptons were nice. However, the episode on 10/29 will show us not what Castle is made of – we know he has secrets (lots of them); it will however show us who Kate is with regards to their being partner in the 12th and out of it. The question is… can Kate take the heat? And can Castle trust her enough to tell her the truth, no matter what? This is what makes them so great as a couple in crime and out! Thanks_ Marlowe and crew for such great season starters! :)

49. BFralia says:

This is one of the shippers couples on television that works for me. Has sort of a Nick and Nora Charles feel to it. Unlike Tiva where Tony and Ziva best remain coworkers and friends.

50. zoot says:

LOVED this episode. I know the writers can do an amazing job of keeping them together and not making it boring. Castles reputation alone is a years worth of stories for them to figure out how Castle and Beckett come from two different worlds but truly belong together and care for each other and will make it work. Please no break-ups and make-ups!