Homeland Recap: Hinky Tailor, Soldier Spy

The following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from the third episode of Homeland Season 2.

The way that this Sunday’s Homeland opened up, you can’t be blamed for starting to tear your hair out. Saul, on his way home from Beirut, was detained at the airport by a Lebanese official/ball-breaker who rifled through his attach case, finding and keeping a hidden memory card — even as Saul warned that he was risking a “serious diplomatic incident.” But, G-d bless Saul, it was all for effect. Once he boarded the plane, he extracted the actual memory card containing Brody’s confession from a secret cavity of his briefcase handle.

We wouldn’t see Saul again until the end of the hour, however. Instead, we witnessed Carrie’s “recuperation” from the Beirut mission at home, where she stayed up all night — ignoring her father’s advisement of sleep — to compile her exhaustive report. Danny from the CIA shows up the next day to pick up her report and also commend her on a “damn impressive” field assignment. See you at the 6 pm debrief! Or not.

Meanwhile at the Brody house, Jessica is taken aback by the openness of the speech Nicholas plans to give at her fundraiser for wounded war vets. His words speak of how, as a POW, he was prepared to die — but didn’t. It questioned how his family can ever really know him anymore. “I never knew this is how you felt,” Jessica said, leading to a tender moment… leading to a passionate moment of almost-kitchen counter sex, had Dana not shown up. Brody ducks out to call Roya, who needs him to get to Gettysburg and relocate Bassel, the tailor of fine clothes and bomb vests, to a safe house. “You’re the only one he knows,” she explains. What’s more, to compel Brody to run the kinda-pedestrian errand, “He’s the one man who knows the truth about you.”

Brody begrudgingly complies, and finds in Gettysburg a very suspicious tailor. Ultimately he coaxes Bassel to come with him, but somewhere along their drive get a flat tire. That cues up several scenes rife with tension, as antsy Bassel alternately and ominously handles a tire iron, a rock, the gas pedal of the SUV under which Brody is perched…. Not helping calm things: Jessica phoning Nick to see where the eff he is! He says he got flat in the middle of nowhere (true!) and won’t be able to make the gala.

The flat gets changed, but as they stop at a filling station, Bassel flees into the woods. Brody gives chase and tackles the tailor… who lands/impales himself on a protruding tree branch. In the midst of patching up the profusely bleeding man, Brody’s cell rings, and when he can’t muffle Bassel enough to keep Jess from hearing on the other end, he efficiently snaps the guy’s neck. Brody then buries the tailor. Needless to say, even if he could make the fundraiser, he is not wearing the shirt he has on.

Carrie shows up early for the 6 o’clock debrief… only to see that Estes started without her, on purpose. You wrote a damn fine report, he says, but Abu Nazir “is not your concern anymore.” Seeing Carrie crestfallen, he asks: “You didn’t think you’d be reinstated, did you?” Carrie proceeds to move out of her dad’s and back into her own place, where she at first dresses up for a night of living it up… but winds up deciding to end it all, ODing on a fistful of pills with a white wine chaser. But as she begins to doze off, Carrie’s eyes snap open, she panics and runs to the loo to “eject” her deadly cocktail.

In Nick’s absence, Jessica assures the vice president, “Don’t worry, sir — this is my mess” and she proceeds to give a speech that starts awkwardly, then evolves into her deep-felt suggestion that they uses some of the raised funds to create a place where the families of returning war veterans can prepare for their loved one’s homecoming. More than hinting at the difficulties she herself has faced, she argues, “In the end, we’re all fighting this war together.”

After Mike drives Jessica home, she invites him in for a nightcap, Love Boat-style, but he politely declines — until, that is, she divulges that Brody once (well, more than once) “was f–king that crazy CIA bitch.” Mike is now all, “I’m in!” But as they head up the walk, Brody comes home, freshly showered via car wash and in some sort of sweatsuit. Mike tells Brody that Jess kicked ass. “I don’t doubt it,” he responded. “She’s quite the hostess.” (And by “hostess” he wasn’t really meaning “hostess.”) After Mike excuses himself, a livid Jessica tells Brody to “give this marriage some serious thought,” because she has had her fill of lies.

Then we come back to Saul, who went to Carrie’s place straight from the airport. “Before you dig your hole any deeper” after getting the big chill from Estes, Saul wants to show her something. She pops the memory card into her laptop as Saul says, “You deserved to see it first.” As Carrie watched Brody’s confessional tape, she mutters, “I was right?!” “You were right.” Then, as a variety of emotions wash over her face, she can finally say it herself, now backed up with fact: “I was right.”

What did you think of this week’s Homeland? Did the opening segment hoodwink you? Are you glad Saul came forth with the video and thus isn’t the mole? (Or is he?!) And how about this week’s work by Morena Baccarin? Wow.

1. Lori Stewart says:

Great episode. Morena Baccarin was amazing and I was totally fooled by the opening scene, but got suspicious by how calm Saul was on the airplane before he extracted the memory card.

2. JuniorTV says:

I mean, WOW. This show truly is a gem of a show. Emmys are now locked for Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, and Morena Baccarin. Hell, I can’t see Saul not getting a nomination by the end of the season either. The murder done by Brody was unexpected (in how it happened), but it still held up for what happened afterward in the fallout of the missed charity event. Those final twenty minutes were heart-pounding, and I couldn’t help but immerse myself in Carrie’s personal victory of being correct when everyone around her, including the most connected people on earth, told her otherwise. Another incredible hour of television.

3. Jenna says:

Brilliant. Can’t wait to see how it plays out. And, I agree, awards all around.

4. Daisha says:

Anyone else get a little misty eyed when Carrie was watching Brody’s confession and she kept saying “I was right”? It just felt soooooo good to see Carrie finally vindicated.

5. Liz says:

Mind blowing!! I actually thought this would drag out for a couple of weeks but thank god no. Now I love it that Carrie is going to have the upper hand in this Carrie/ Brody thing

6. gary says:

Now what?

7. Bender says:

hey tvline wheres the dexter recap?

8. Reva says:

Loved the Carrie stuff, she was terrific and sells her illness and heartbreak and manic energy so well. Go to disagree on the rest though, too crazy to think that Brody would be sent to do that and the political side with Brody’s wife just doesn’t grab me. Her and Mike are going to walk into the house and sleep together while her teenage daughter who already has issues with her is in the house?

Danes performance was excellent, Saul was perfect as always, and Lewis sold the wacko plot great. Eh to everything else.

• ben says:

I don’t find it too crazy to think Brody would be sent to do that job. Because of the very fact that it was menial and Nazir doesn’t want Brody to think there is any job he can ask of Brody which is beneath him, he wants to make sure he knows that his status doesn’t mean anything in Nazir’s book. Also, I don’t think there was any intent to sleep with Mike going on – just to have someone to talk to who was emotional support after what was one of the most humiliating experiences she would have ever had.

9. Bender says:

mandy patinkin was the best on the short on air time he had.

• mary says:

Saul was perfect! Mandy Patinkin played it perfectly. And it was completely in character for him to go see Carrie first, and a lot of that has to do with the kindness in his heart.

• mary says:

I agree that Mandy Patinkin played it perfectly so that it is completely believable that Saul goes first to see Carrie motivated by kindness and affection, but I’m betting that he also realized (from being singled out at the airport and searched for that particular item) that there is a mole in the CIA, and I bet he is going to enlist Carrie’s help in a little shadow-CIA mission. I also am very worried that Saul will be killed — the bad guys know that Saul knows about Brody, and at this point, as far as they know, he’s the only one who knows. I love Saul so much – I hope, hope, hope he isn’t killed.

10. Why isn’t there a promo for next week’s episode on YouTube? :(

11. Didn’t read this yet, but thanks to whoever responsible for spoiling how someone dies on the front page again. That’s always fun.

• Irishgirl says:

I don’t see anything on the front page that specifies someone dies. But the promos for the last two weeks have shown Brody burying someone in the woods, so you had to know at some point someone was going to die.

• Brody buried the desecrated Qur’an in episode 2 and I was not expecting anything else. This is copied and pasted directly from TVLine’s home page:
        Homeland Takes a Deadly Turn
        SPOILER ALERT! Find out what happened to Brody’s confession video, and who died a sudden, grisly death, in the third episode of Showtime’s acclaimed drama

• Sara says:

Simple solution coming right up.
          Don’t come onto a website that posts recaps almost immediately after a show airs if you haven’t seen the episode yet and don’t want to be spoiled.
          It really isn’t that hard to avoid. Stop complaining because YOU misunderstood the previews and then came onto a website that you knew would have spoilers.

• Again, what is up with you people who have to say this same stupid crap whenever this valid complaint is made? The easy solution that makes everyone happy: stop saying someone’s dead or whatever when linking to the article that has the spoilers instead of spoiling it in more than one place. You can’t say, “SPOILER ALERT – Someone just died!” and have the so-called “spoiler alert” actually be worth a damn.

I was looking for something else, thank you very much. Just because it’s not your problem, it doesn’t mean I or anyone else isn’t allowed to voice concern over it. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE.

• Kim R says:

This is exactly what I do. I never come on TVLine until I’ve watched the shows they recap. I enjoy reading them but don’t want to “spoil” my shows. It is simple. Just don’t come until you’ve watched. :)

• Lauren says:

Call me a strictly literal person, but I would not have read past the words “SPOILER ALERT!” if I had not yet seen the episode.

• Kim R says:

Exactly. If it is an episode Recap then that’s what it is. See the word “Homeland”…look away. :)

• Irishgirl says:

Yes, but when Brody buried the Qur’an, he wasn’t crouched in the woods in the rain, covered in blood and dirt. Shots of Brody rolling a body into a muddy hole in the woods, and then showering himself and his blue dress shirt in a car wash have been shown before and after the last two episodes, and in all the promos leading up to the premiere of this season. I think it’s been well established by Showtime that someone dies this season and either Brody kills this person or at least disposes of the body. The question was always who would die. TVLine didn’t spoil who died in the comment you pasted above, and that’s really the only fact that was unknown. I appreciate that you don’t want to be spoiled, but you take that chance when you come to any site that posts recaps. But in this case, nothing was spoiled since it doesn’t say who died.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

To be fair, there was a preview before this season started that I wonder if you missed that showed Brody killing someone in the woods (not burying the Qu’ran, actually killing someone), and then washing all the blood off him at the car wash. That was also teased in the previews for tonight’s episode. It’s probably fair to believe it all might have been a misdirect. Personally, I believed a murder was happening tonight and me and all my friends were making calls on who it would be that died. My guess was Mike. I was wrong. I should stop trying to figure this show out! But my point is, I don’t think it was a big mystery someone was going to die tonight from the previews, and I don’t think TVLine did anything wrong, but I certainly understand your frustration as I am not a fan of spoilers either. If it makes you feel better, it looks like TVLine changed the headline, so they must have felt bad. They’re nice like that.

• I honestly don’t remember seeing any of that in the preview or if I actually watched it at all. I’ve developed a defense mechanism where I gloss over and space out during most previews. I’ve had it ever since FOX spoiled Lynne falling down the stairs on a preview for 24. I wouldn’t say what they did was “wrong”, but I wish they would be better for Monday watchers’ sake.

Also, they didn’t change the text that I copied. I even changed browsers to make sure it wasn’t a cache or cookie issue. It’s still there on the four bulleted items, the second one with a picture of Damien Lewis standing near a sign that says “Maestro” (appropriate) with the someone dies spoiler printed directly underneath.

• Irishgirl says:

You thought Mike? Interesting. I ruled out Mike because I think he and Jessica are going to start something back up again…..just my thinking. I thought it was going to be Lauder, the drunk guy who is always insulting Brody. Especially after they previewed that scene of him telling Jessica that Brody isn’t a good guy.

• Going nowhere with this says:

Ladies, you sound annoying (and young). Considering I can’t even hear you over the computer. Dude thought he got the episode spoiled. Him, not you. He decided to voice his concern to the article or website. Them, not you. I thought tvline was less argumentative . Seems like yahoo comments poured onto this thread. You sound like Carrie at the end of the episode. Just happy to be saying “I’m right”.

• Irishgirl says:

Hmmm……I don’t know what you’re reading, but we are having a discussion. The only one who seems to be trying to provoke an argument here would be you by posting an insulting comment.

12. Irishgirl says:

I don’t see how Brody was the ONLY person that could go get Bessel. I mean come on, Abu Nazir has this huge network of spies/contacts/followers and Brody, the most recognizable one, is the only person that could go get him? I get the feeling all this stuff Nazir is getting Brody to do, via Roya, is to get him pulled in so deep that there’s no way pf ever getting out.

I loved the scene between Brody and Jessica after she found his speech. Brody almost seemed embarrassed to talk to her about it. I wish we’d been able to hear him deliver that speech. I’m curious to see how he’s going to recover with Jessica from this latest mess. Based on tonight’s ending and promos of him meeting up with Carrie at the hotel, I’m starting to doubt that this marriage will continue after this season.

On another note, did anyone else notice that after Bessel was injured and Brody was trying to rally him to stay alive, Bessel mentions that he has a wife and daughter. Brody said for him to keep thinking about his daughter and that “she’ll give you the strength you need.” I thought that was an interesting nod to Dana’s influence on him.

• DL says:

The point was that because Brody was such a public figure, Bessel would recognize him and feel more apt to trust him. A random stranger would have made him even less trusting than he was of Brody.

• eigross says:

It’s not just that…Brody got the vest bomb from Bassal – that’s how they know one another. Roya is a news reporter – her face is also on tv…

• Irishgirl says:

Right….that was my thinking too. Both are well-known from TV, and I’d say Brody is more well known being that he’s ‘the guy that was a POW for 8 years.’ But I just felt like if Nazir had Bessel in his organization, shouldn’t there have been a code word or phrase established already for when things go awry? Then a stranger could show up, say the code word or phrase, and Bessel would know he could trust the man and go with him. I mean, the scene were tense, and well done, but I think the plot device was weak.

• ben says:

I actually agree. It’s easy to take the point at face value, as others who have responded to you have done, that Nazir did it because Bessel knew Brody. I don’t think that is all there is to it at all. Nazir doubts Brody, and wants to make sure he is kept on his leash. Sometimes that means finding an excuse for making him do something which others could also do perfectly well. I agree, Nazir is trying to pull Brody in deep.

• mary says:

I think Brody was sent for the tailor because the plan was that both of them would die in the safe house.

13. lola says:

When does the next episode air? Seems like its not on next week.

14. Esther says:

Did anyone else think that the truck that the CIA were sitting in in front of the tailor shop was probably set up to be able to see into the shop – and thus when Brody goes to the front of the shop he was probably caught on camera? OR that the CIA isn’t watching the back door to tailor’s shop?

Small mistake…Brody parked his car kinda far away and walked to the tailor shop, but when they’re running from the shop his car is parked right behind the shop…

Claire Danes’ performance – aces as always.

I like that Dana’s one look at her father says it all – amazing.

15. tvdiva says:

I love how the showrunners are not wasting any time, creating filler episodes or holding out anything until the last few episodes of the season. They are dropping bombs every episode! This is an amazing show.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

It makes me wonder what direction they could possibly go for a season 3. And you know it’s gonna get renewed, I would be shocked if it didn’t, especially after the Emmy win. It is moving so fast with the plot! I agree with everything you say. I just…I can’t possibly see how Damian Lewis could be involved with a season 3 at this point unless he went and lived underground like Walker was doing last season. The only way he’s not coming under some serious investigation and an arrest is if they kill off Saul before he can give the SD card to Estes, destroy the SD card, and then it’s just crazy Carrie trying to make everyone believe Brody is a terrorist again. And if they go that direction, I will freak out, because Saul is my hero. Nothing can happen to him. I do not allow it.

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

I really hope this cements Morena’s Emmy nomination for next year. She and Mandy Patinkin were freaking robbed this year. It was a pretty good episode, The opening was great, and it made me a lot more curious how that SD card ended up in Beirut because obviously important people over there knew Saul had gotten his hands on it. I hope that question gets answered. Carrie’s suicide attempt was heartbreaking and made me want to hug her. Is Claire Danes ever not good in anything? She has been quite the gifted actress ever since My So Called Life. I feel a lot better because there is no way Saul can be the mole now. Right? And finally, I wonder…does it bother anyone else they don’t do subtitles when people speak in foreign languages? I suppose they’re making it easy enough to get the gist of what’s happening through action and emotion and facial expressions, but I think I would still like to know what they’re saying exactly. That bugged me a lot in the first episode when the two guys spying on Saul were talking. i think I just don’t like feeling left out, haha. Maybe they do that as a way to keep us from figuring out stuff we shouldn’t know yet.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m so sorry for spamming the comment board tonight, but I forgot to say the most important thing. Suck it, Estes!!!

17. Lia says:

another stellar episode, I love that Saul went to Carrie first and confirmed she was right!

18. lily says:

i hate, hate, HATE dana. does anyone else feel that way? she’s awful, the character, the actress, every single thing about her.

• Ted Sutton says:

Brody’s daughter Dana is a very important character in the story. She understands Brody better than his wife does. She is the reason he didn’t blow himself and everyone else up after he fixed the vest-bomb in the bunker. You are missing something.

• Lizbeth says:

I think the actress plays her well. Dana is a typical smarta$$ 16 year old.

19. Zed says:

I live in Lebanon, and here we’re still in season 1. So… What’s happening in Beirut? O.o

• Your Welcome, Anytime says:

Todays episode focused on the opening of the new YMCA on the corner of Basswi and Nashta. Permits, planning, all that kinda of stuff. Brody was going to show up and cut the ribbon. Abu Nazir and his crew got online and hacked AirEmirates website to get 50% off wanna get away fares and hotel to Dubai’s Atlantis. Problems arose during check-in when his crew booked to swim with the dolphins (they don’t have a dolphin excursion). Abu’s right hand man than goes to the hotel nightclub and gets into a skirmish with local and event VIPs.
      Back to Beirut. While Abu Nazir is in Dubai high faluttin’, Saul and Carrie fill in for a couple, who did not bring proper documentation and funds. After signing release forms they proceed to fill in for a couple on House Hunters Int, viewing 3 lovely condos in the up and coming Golden Sands Community.
      On the Homeland, Dana gets put on bath salts and spice, by her emo boyfriend. Her mom completes the ChristianMingle profile she had been working on. Unfortunately American Diggers (uhoh quran) happens upon her property. She agrees on a 60/40 split of anything found buried on the land.
      Episode ends with a shovel hitting the ground.

20. If the safe house errand was really urgent, there was a chance the CIA was already spying on the tailor. Brody is too valuable to Nazir to risk his being seen. I don’t buy them risking the loss of a mole who might run for Vice President of the US. It’s crazy to think they’d ask Brody transport the tailor to a safe house so that didn’t ring true for me.

That said, I loved the episode, and I’m glad we didn’t have to wait for Carrie’s vindication. I love Saul. I wonder if Claire will remember that Brody knew Isa. Claire Danes and Morena were wonderful. All the actors were terrific. I’m also loving Last Resort and wonder if any other Homeland fans are enjoying Last Resort.

21. Whatever says:

I am so happy Carrie found out that she was right about Brody.
    This would suggest that Saul is not the mole.
    Already loving Estes face in the coming attractions when HE finds out that Carrie was right the whole time.

• TheBeach says:

I don’t trust Estes.

• EmilyThorne says:

Ok, question, did I completely miss something? A lot of people are commenting that their must be a mole in the CIA, is it just a hunch because if Brody is a mole their must be more or did something happen that I might have missed to suggest a mole? Also, any idea why Carrie puts on the engagement ring sometimes?

22. mary says:

Did you wonder why the Hezbollah guard at the airport knew exactly what he was looking for? Did someone in Virginia notice that, amongst the debris recovered by Carrie, a certain memory card was missing? And reported that to the Hezbollah, who immediately focussed on Saul as the likely possessor? Why else was he searched in that fashion, for an object so definite? The mole in Virginia figured it out – otherwise, why not assume it went with the wife to Detroit, or Carrie to Virginia, or still in the safe house?

• Nathan says:

It could just be that Hezbollah themselves went to the house in Beirut and noticed the satchel, with the sd card in it was gone, then notified the airport guard.

23. Paul M says:

Homeland is the best TV show in ages mostly because of its all round stellar acting performances. However, the complexity of the plot sometmes makes it difficult for the writers to follow a totally plausible storyline eg. Brody being asked to kill the tailor and risking blowing his cover. I suppose sometimes the viewers just have to roll with the punches and not get too concerned with plot weaknesses. Just remind your self that every week you’re being treated to Oscar standard (not just Emmy standard) performances by the cast. I think the writers correctly realised that to try and prolong Brody’s cover much longer would have eventually led to a totally unbelievable story lne. By blowing his cover in Episode 3 it opens up a whole new list of possibilities. I doubt now if any of Homeland’s devoted fans could be certain which way the storyline will develop. That’s another big pat on the back for the show’s producers.