Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Glee, Grey's, Arrow, Person of Interest, Once Upon a Time and Scandal

Which Glee femme is coming after Finn? Did Once Upon a Time‘s Snow White once have a knight to remember? Which big bad is living right under Arrow‘s nose? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other hot shows.

Glee | Boot camp might start looking pretty good to Finn when McKinley High’s onetime gridiron star takes the ball in coaching New Directions (while Will is in D.C. “fighting for the arts”) as well as directing the school play. “Sue is going to have a big problem with him,” Jane Lynch told TVLine at the 2012 Media Access Awards. “He’s innocent, but he says something really stupid to me, and one thing about Sue Sylvester is she never forgets.” Then again, Finn could probably use the distraction of “another woman” – albeit a vitriolic cheerleading coach of a certain age! – in the wake of his break-up with Rachel. “Sue is your greatest advocate, but she’s also your worst enemy,” Lynch stresses, “so Finn is in for it!”

RELATED | Glee: 14 Questions We Want Answered When the Show Returns in November!

Once Upon a Time | In addition to making the acquaintance of the original Queen of Mean, Emma this Sunday will be introduced to no less than Lancelot. But as show bosses Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz previously scooped for us, the handsome former member of the Round Table is no stranger to Snow White. “Yeah, she definitely has a ‘friendship’ with him,” Jennifer Morrison told me. “It seems like maybe either he fought battles with Prince Charming or was in some other way was of a part of their kingdom and community, so they definitely have a friendship.” Hmm, maybe Mary Margaret’s alter ego isn’t so snow white after all? (And no, the “We were cursed” excuse won’t fly this time.)

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO | Once Upon a Time‘s Jennifer Morrison Previews Emma’s Fairytale Nightmare

Grey’s Anatomy | If you thought April was surprised to find Dr. Hunt at her rural doorstep, wait until she sets foot back inside Seattle Grace. After all, “She doesn’t realize that Jackson’s going to be there, because he was supposed to go to Tulane,” Sarah Drew previews. “But he is there, and that is going to throw a wrench into her plans.” Reflecting on when April and Jackson saw each other – or at least were supposed to see each other – Drew admits, “She sort of stood him up. She had to get on a plane, and he didn’t have time for her. So she went on with her life and thought she wouldn’t ever see him again, and then she walks into the hospital and there he is. It’s a funny entrance back into the world!”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Neve Campbell Joins Cast as Derek’s Sister!

Scandal | TVLine reader Leah sneaked a good Q in just under the wire, asking for “news on either Parks and Recreation or Scandal.” And since I just got off the horn with the latter show’s Joshua Malina, this inquiry was irresistible low-hanging fruit. Malina told me that at the close of the next fresh episode, airing Oct. 18, “There’s a big surprise that kind of comes out of nowhere regarding David, one I think fans will enjoy.” Might my theory prove true, that he’s involved with his feisty, nubile assistant Alissa (played by Suite Life‘s Brenda Song)? Malina wouldn’t confirm or deny, but instead deadpanned: “One hopes and believes that she could do better.”

Person of Interest | As TVLine first told you during the pre-season, Paige Turco will be back, in Episode 5, when the sexy-cool Zoe helps out the boys in a way that only she can. When I pressed the show bosses for details on her latest visit, they were in a teasing mood. “Paige is spectacular, and sometimes you get that rare alchemy of a piece of casting and a character that just connects,” said Jonah Nolan, “so she’ll come back to further complicate things. ” How so? “[Zoe and Reese] are going to settle down together,” he shared. And, EP Greg Plageman assured, “It is going to be hot!”

RELATED | Ratings: Arrow Opens Strong, The CW’s Most Watched Telecast in Three Years

Arrow | Although you spied Deathstroke’s mask in the pilot’s island scenes, series lead Stephen Amell suggests that actually meeting the DC Comics baddie is part of the CW hit’s “longer term” plan. Instead, at some future point after Arrow fends off the likes of China White (next Wednesday) and Deadshot (in Episode 3), Amell suspects that the villain Merlyn will come into play – especially since the character’s most recent comic-book iteration and Ollie’s skirt-chasing BFF, Tommy Merlyn, are one and the same. “Colin Donnell is a wonderful actor,” Amell attests, “and he has a pantheon-level villain in him somewhere, if they choose to go there.” For the time being, Amell says the show will dial down Tommy’s overt curiosity about Oliver’s time on the island and erratic behavior since coming home, though in the end, “That character is too smart to not realize what’s going on.” UPDATE: Amell shoulda been more bullish when I spoke to him in July: Deathstroke will in fact surface in Episode 5, played by stunt man Jeffrey Robinson (Human Target).

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Andrea says:

Thanks for the Scandal tip Matt. That Josh Malina is always good for a hilarious quote, but in all seriousness, I really hope David isn’t robbing the cradle.

2. Leah says:

Happy to provide low hanging fruit for you. Thanks for the answer!

3. Elena says:

I love Paige Turco on POI, so I can’t wait to see how she stirs up things with Reese when she gets back:)

4. Annie says:

Another cheerleader type for Finn? Because those work out so well for him in the past. I have no interest in seeing him with another girl. He needs to be on his own and figure out his life – the same way Rachel needs to in New York. Adding in more love interest stalls for Finchel is pointless. She’s going to be a female Brody – a hot girl with no personality who thinks Finn walks on air. The ratings for this show are doing horribly. Making Finn have eyes for another girl isn’t going to sit well with the general audience. I’d bet a lot of money that this is the last season for Glee. They need to stop with the drama and make these characters grow up WITHOUT DRAMA IN THEIR LOVE LIVES FOR ONCE.

• Sm says:

I agree totally. But must admit I really want Finn and Santana in NY right now. Many people like that Finn find someone and move on, since Rachel has. That this normal for 18 yr olds when they break up. I’m missing fun and hilarious antics on Glee. NY is boring but so is McKinley. I think with the 4 best comedy actors in NY that the humor would return to Glee. I’m not getting the feel of Finn leading the ND ay McKinley at all. We’ll see. But new love interests for Finn and Rachel just sounds wrong for me. I admit that I won’t be watching intently this season if they are that far apart. If apart but both in NY would be ok. To be honest I see a season 2 second time around coming on. No pining by Finn for Rachel like Rachel did season 2.

• Jon says:

Seems like you didn’t even read the spoiler; it says Finn is going to be in a storyline with Sue the CHEERLEADING COACH it never mentions anything about him dating a CHEERLEADER. Maybe next time read something before you complain about it.

• skm2004 says:

But Brad Falchuk has mentioned that. Sue finds fault with anyone to be a nemesis for her to badger. Finn’s it for now. But if there is a new anyone for Finn to show interest in as a love interest soon, as Brad says there would, we’ll, those who are Finn fans who want him to find himself soon but not go for the Glee way and that is date a newby. Maybe, a cheerleader coach aide. RIB always seem to rekindle similar story lines time and time again.

• Amanda says:

Did you actually read the Glee bit? It’s about Sue having it out for Finn.

• CC says:

Finn could probably use the distraction of another woman – albeit a vitriolic cheerleading coach of a certain age! – in the wake of his break-up with Rachel.

–Pretty sure he was talking about Sue

• sara says:

Seeing Finn and Sue battle it out? Allow not exactly a new plot could be a lot of fun. Cory Monteith has been knocking it out of the park with the drama, can’t wait til he gets his teeth into some high comedy too.

• Tate says:

I don’t know about you, but if Rachel is having fun with whathisname in NYC, I don’t see why Finn can’t have a girl of his own. I ship Finchel too but it’s not fair on Finn to expect to be alone forever. Besides, I kinda want to see Cory with another actress. Solely for comparing purposes. Hahaha.

• SG says:

Not even Ryan Murphy would have Sue and Finn as a romantic pairing (though i am very afraid in case he reads that!). And as for no drama in their love lives, (while I agree that love triangles are getting old) every TV dramedy actually needs drama. However, I would be lying if I didn’t hope we got Finn/Rachel scenes soon because those two are electric together. Even if you fast forwarded through everything else (errm which i confess I did) from the break-up episode then all the Finn/Rachel scenes combined made for very satisfying viewing. Just as in the finale of season 3, when the show focusses down on a few characters it can really compete with anything else on the TV landscape. But Finn facing off Sue. Bring it!

5. skm2004 says:

Thanks for the news about the new show Arrow. I enjoyed the pilot. Person of Interest is really good, thank for the news. Grey Anat was never a real interest to me but some of the new stories are good now that Glee is really dull.

6. Dee says:

Needs more Justified scoop.

7. ollie says:

yay more zoe on poi. paige has great chemsitry with everbody

8. tikkanen10 says:

Love Paige Turco on POI. Smart, sexy, charismatic, not trashy. *sigh*

9. ed says:

did not like tommy on arrow. his character was over the top and was trying to hard to be funny.

10. Ace says:

Lots of good scoop, Matt! Thanks! (-:

11. mave says:

I`m glad Cory will be opposite Jane Lynch. Glee needs good acting and funny lines. I`m sure this equation will work.

• JT says:

The one good thing out of Finn coming back to McKinley. Now I’ll finally get to see my Finn VS Sue scenes! I’m so looking forward to it. But poor Finn will be destroyed! Cory and Jane Lynch FTW!

12. Debra says:

Wow. How original. Somebody stands up to Sue and she goes on the war path against them. That is something we haven’t seen before. (If you can’t tell, that was completely sarcastic.) Maybe if the writers of Glee would actually have an original storyline instead of recycling old ones maybe their ratings wouldn’t be falling as fast as they are. Nothing I have heard so far has given me the urge to watch Glee when it comes back in November.

13. Siren says:

So excited for good material for Cory…I can´t wait to see Sue/Finn scenes.

14. DanielleZ says:

Thanks for the POI tip. Love Zoe. She’s a great character.

15. Forwarddad says:

No High School Show Choir and especially a National Champion would hire an inexperienced person. Finn has absolutely no experience to be in charge of this choir.

• Not to mention he probably needs a college degree, specifically one in music and/or teaching or some other type of area that shows leadership. Not really sure a high school would let a recent grad direct the choir. Although this is Glee, which hasn’t always been that realistic.

• Kay says:

Well, the Glee writers had Kurt get an internship at vogue.com without any journalism experience and just a high school diploma, so how realistic is that? No surprise then that they have Finn taking over the Glee Club with just a high school diploma. This show is really sinking fast. I only watch the show because of Kurt and Blaine, and they already screwed up that relationship with having Blaine cheat. So disappointed in the way the show is going.

• VA says:

lol Jesse St James has the same credentials as Finn, at least on paper. And Vocal Adrenaline hired him. And gleeclub is not a regular class, it’s a student afterschool activity club. Graduates come and help out all the time in real high schools.

• kaley says:

As frustrating as it is, I guess in a world where Rachel gets admission to an elite musical theater school by butchering her audition twice, Quinn gets into Yale out of nowhere, Kurt gets a Vogue internship based on his fashion blog and college drop out Jesse St. James can become a sought after glee club advisor, there’s also room for aimless, unqualified Finn teaching New Directions. Let’s hope it will finally give him some goal of his own in his life he can pursue and won’t just provide the setting for another roadblock love interest that has no real chance of going anywhere, because in the long run Finchel seems to be inevitable.

16. Lill says:

Thank you for the Glee Finn spoilers! I sure hope Sue hits up her brand of tough loving to Finn and whips him up to shape. He desperately needs some shaking up after his post-breakup woes.

17. Cam says:

So they are trying to recreate Lex Luthor with this Tommy dude? Wtf?

18. kel says:

Love the POI scoop! Hope that means well see Ms. Morgan more this season. She is a fun character and I love how gooey eyed Reese gets when she’s around. Badass assassins need love too. :)

19. miche says:

I prefer to see more of Root. I love Person of Interest. I like the entire case especially Carter.

20. Kate says:

So happy to hear Zoe will be back on POI. I love the chemistry between her and Reese. Great news.

21. miche says:

Matt, there were so many other inside scoops you could have acquired about the show and you chose to ask about something that wouldn’t happen.

22. askmelast79 says:

Zoe is okay to help the team, but no hookups with Reese, PLEASE! He doesn’t need someone older than him!

23. cjeffery7 says:

i gotta say i’ve totally come around to April and Jackson. at first it felt really forced and contrived (which it was), but then i feel like they really developed a nice weird romantic friendship that i’d like to see blossom in it’s own weird way.

24. mythirdfoot says:

Ewww, no Reese and Zoe together at all. Ugh. I don’t see it happening. Yuck.

25. GLEEKS says:

We think Finn becoming the new “coach” for the New Directions is a horrible idea. There isn’t a public high school in America that would allow a recent 19 year old high school graduate with no ed degree, no teaching certificate and no background clearance to be in charge of minors. We love Finn and would love to see him teach someday but doing it right now is just plain creepy!

26. Renee says:

Love the POI scoop! And thanks for the Arrow info as well.

27. Kelly says:

Thanks for the scoop. I hope there was nothing romantic between Snow and Lancelot. I hate third party storylines.

• Templar says:

Right there with you. If they imply anything like that with Snow, I’m done with the show. Let Lancelot be one from Regina’s past [Graham, Sidney, Daniel]. That would fit.

• Katherine215 says:

Seriously. They’re supposed to be this epic love story (“I will always find you”), DON’T RUIN THAT!

• Alex says:

But, at the same time, are we supposed to assume Snow and Charming had NO history before meeting one another? They weren’t children when they met, so it’s not unrealistic to believe they both had other romantic partners before meeting each other. (I mean, really…look at them!)

28. Locke says:

Meryln and Tommy Merlyn NOT the same people

The original Melyn is ARTHUR KING

Tommy Meryln is also a villain as tommy merlyn

29. Maro says:

Does Colin Donnell’s delivery remind anyone else of Callum Blue??? I actually thought it was him for a few minutes…

30. Nicole says:

Loved the Arrow scoop and OUAT of course. I must say, I can’t wait for Glee to get cancelled so it can stopp hogging all the good scoopage. Can’t go on anywhere without there being some headline on Glee. We need more articles on shows like Parenthood, Revenge, ANY OTHER SCRIPTED SHOWS….

31. sarah says:

Arrow BEST NEW SHOW! At least in my opinion!

32. Julie says:

Jackson “didn’t have time” for April? That’s not fair to Jackson. Sloan was about to slip into a coma and Jackson was trying to give him a waking moment with his daughter! Why did April give Jackson such short notice anyway? “I’m leaving for good and my flight leaves in a few hours”? Everyone knew that his revitalization was probably due to “the surge”, even if they wanted to deny it.

33. Sui says:

Finn is my favorite character and glad he gets his own story now. To find himself by being the leader of the ND facing off with Sue could be funny. He has been broken down to the core just to the point of picking of the pieces to build a new Finn from within. As of now Glee has been slow, boring, uneventful, lackluster, bad choices on music, slow moving story lines, way too dramatic, dance sequences pretty poor, singing quality at a all time low. The Scientist song was the best of this season so far. Because Finn and Santana are in it. Finn, Santana, Kurt and Rachel are the comedic and dramatic best of Glee, so, I wish they would go to just NY to brighten up the slow non-interesting story for Kurt and Rachel. NY desperately needs Santana and Finn to pick up the pace to make it fun and exhilarating. So far, it is blah and humdrum. I love Kate Hudson as Ms July as Rachel’s antagonist but now the story is so slow trying to include too much McKinley student clones into already done stories that focus is non existent on any area of Glee’s twin cities. It just flits then there with a little dab of story in NY then let’s go to tell a little in Lima. It is nothing but distracting and boring. TBH, the show has to pick up the pace with some desperately needed humor at both cities. The Break Up was the best episode of the season so far, but with central theme of all concerned to break up in serious drama the show leaves nothing left for the imagination to grasp hold of. IMO, it is sinking and sinking fast. Finn is there to bring some stability to one of the cities, but Rachel and Kurt alone can’t keep NY going with its slow paced simple story of Brody. I’d wish they would make NY not about dating but about Rachel and Kurt’s nemesis or foes who are like Sue to the Glee club. Challenges for Rachel, like a fellow student challenging her to a spot in class with her/his talent-isn’t this school supposed to be the best of the best. Kurt’s story is super slow too. I love SJS as Isabella but do something challenging for him- a nemesis. It is disappointing season 4 to the point of giving up and going to read a book. I loved 50 Shades of Grey. I’m missing the fun and hilarious musically talented adult humor of the Old Glee.

34. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Glee is so over.

35. Luis says:

I totally geeked out when I saw Deathstroke’s mask on the stick! Can’t wait for episode 5!

36. Samantha says:

Zoe is okay but she and Reese make me sick, so I’m not thrilled that they’ll be hooking up. No thanks!