Is Beauty and the Beast More Than Skin Deep?

Beauty and the Beat PremiereThe CW’s Beauty and the Beast made its debut Thursday night — but was it the reboot of the ’80s cult hit that you were hoping for? Or was the titular creature more beauty-ful than a show with this title had any right to be?

We’re eager to hear your thoughts on the procedural, but first, a brief refresher: Beauty stars Kristin Kreuk as Catherine Chandler, a New York City detective who fell into the gig after years ago witnessing the murder of her mother. She believes she was saved from her own demise that very night by some kind of man-imal, though she’s never been able to fully trust that memory… until now.

RELATED | Beauty and the Beast Exclusive: Mädchen Amick Lands Ritzy Guest Role

Enter Vincent (Jay Ryan), a former Army doctor who was reportedly killed while serving overseas. In actuality, he’s in hiding after a military experiment gone wrong left him an unpredictable man-beast — when enraged, at least.

Having accidentally come across the “beast” during a routine investigation, Cat learns that Vincent — with whom she shares an intense attraction — was the one who rescued her the night of her mom’s death, and has since been working as a vigilante of sorts right under her nose.

Now it’s your turn, TVLiners: Hit the poll below to let us know what grade you give Beauty and the Beast, then back up your pick in the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

1. Maro says:

I don’t understand why people are always so negative about everything. How can you actually give a show that you’ve only seen once a fail score?

• Superhero says:

They’re giving what they’ve seen a fail score. Not a difficult concept.

• Maro says:

It’s not the concept that’s difficult. It’s the last of thought behind it.

• Emily says:

I gave the pilot a fail because it sucked, like really really sucked, and while most shows I give 2 or 3 episodes to try out, theres no way I’m coming back

• Katy says:

Okay, I get where you’re coming from. The pilot sucked, but all the episodes after that are just getting better and better! Give the show another chance! :)

• martina says:

And why do people have to be so whiny? Pilots are supposed to give you the general view of the show, and here you give marks on whether the first episode kept your interest enough to continue watching the show or scrap it and move on.
      This show didn’t pick up my interest at all! The acting wasn’t really good and the writing was sloppy, so I gave The Beauty and the Beast a big, fat F.

• guest says:

Because you don’t get a good grade for trying, you get a good grade for doing a good job. Life is not like american kindergarden.

• another guest says:

First of all, what’s with the AMERICAN kindergarten crack? Second, would life be better or worse of we could encourage people more for trying than put them down?!?… I don’t think there is anything wrong with being nice or being positive and it just might make things better or even develop the next great thing/project/mind! Would that be sooooooo wrong?!?

• Kelly says:

Because people are wanting instant gratification too much. They don’t have the attention spans anymore to give it more than one look.
      I actually kind of liked it. I really liked that her character was not the damsel in distress/Elena Gilbert type. She kicked ass! She didn’t need saving on the subway platform until she fell.
      I think they went a bit too fast with things though. It could have taken her longer to find out who/what he was. I’m going to keep watching though. I like Kristen’s character.

2. Paris says:

LOOOOOVED it. Deff gonna tune in next week

• iMember says:

There is so much better for you to see out there though.

• Kim R says:

I was a fan of the original Beauty and the Beast and watched faithfully. I tuned in to this last evening because, well, I didn’t want to watch the debate. :) I was surprised at how much I liked it. I actually liked the background for Vincent and the fact he is a man that has been altered, so much better than the earlier series. I liked the actress playing Cat and I hope they give it a chance. I found myself at the end wishing it was 2 hours. Totally unexpected for me. I will definitely watch again. No one is more surprised than I am. :)

3. Jen says:

A facial scratch does not a Beast make. He needs FUR. CLAWS. FANGS. A TAIL. A towering temper and a heart of gold. Not… cheekbones. Meh. This just doesn’t do the original fairy tale any justice.

• Tom Charles says:

Agreed. Just another CW pretty boy. Give us Ron Pearlman in makeup/prosthetics!

• Irishgirl says:

I think he’s supposed to look more animal-like when he ‘turns’ (for lack of a better term.) We saw a little of it when he was telling her to go away after the subway attack. I think he said she needed to stay away or he would end up hurting her. His face became more monster-like, but it was hard to see because the scene was so dark. And based upon the silhouette we saw when he was fighting the guys in the subway, it looks like he has claws when he’s in beast-mode. So, it looks like he has some of the qualities you’d like to see, but he has to ‘hulk’ out for them to appear.

4. iMember says:

Okay, that pilot was boring. It’s the first time I’ve seen Kristin Kreuk act in anything and I didn’t believe her as a detective. She’s just not commanding, quick witted, or responsive enough. Also, a scar and a blown up face does not make a beast.

I predict BatB will end up getting cancelled. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if it gets cancelled by Winter so “Cult” can take its place midseason. I don’t see this show lasting honestly.

5. cassie says:

I’m happy I didn’t listen to the critics. It was a lil fast pace but I liked what I saw so far. Beast was cute.

• guest says:

fast paced? maybe when you are 98.

• hello says:

The Beast isn’t supposed to be cute, that is the whole point of the story

• laura says:

Isn’t he meant to be a normal guy (cute is a happy by product) that is experimented on? This isn’t reality based, where he could sprout claws and a tail, but realistic… and the worst that could happen really is some growling, right? I’m going to hang in there

• Kim R says:

I actually like the premise of the beast in this series better. It is not that he is “beastly” looking but it is internal. There is a beast that lies within him when his adrenaline increases that he can’t control. Much more solid than a “cat”. :)

• Amber says:

Actually, not necessarily. Not if you’re familiar with the origins of Beauty and the Beast. This interpretation, while not great yet, is following a closer pattern to Jane Eyre, which is also a BATB tale. The themes of the novel are all about the Beast within. Some argue that Rochester is ugly. But no, he’s just rugged instead of being a popular pretty boy of the time period. Also, look at Moonlight (that came from the same writers as the 80s BATB show). That was also a BATB story with a vampiric twist. The Beast is a vampire and quite sexy looking. But again it was about the Beast within. There are many different ways to interpret the archetype. And I think it’s sad to try and limit BATB (which is much more than Disney’s “nice” interpretation) to merely an outward costume. What I think has been a smart combination in modern day storytelling is the combination of the literary monster of the 18th and 19th centuries and the Byronic Hero. AKA…the romantic monster who struggles with the beast within. I’m interested in seeing if they can improve this show. I’ll keep watching. But no, the Beast being cute is not a big deal in relation to BATB themes.

• Kim R says:

So well said. :)

• Nicole says:

The only problem with this theory, is that he wasnt really “fighting the beast within” From what I can tell, he was just keeping people at arms length because why? He was afraid of people seeing the “real him” that MIGHT come out? I dont think I can continue watching. I normally give shows at least five episodes before I decide, but I was painfully bored and couldn’t wait for it to be over.

• Amber says:

He made it quite clear that he sees himself as a monster. He loses control when he goes into a rage. That purposely shows someone trying to control their rage, which is an inner demon that on this series also presents as a physical change. It’s certainly a metaphor for anger management if you will. Kind of like the UK’s Being Human or the Hulk. No matter if someone likes this show or not, he IS a “monster” and does fit within the BATB archetype.

6. Malia says:

It wasn’t over-the-top amazing, but it was entertaining. I’ll watch it again.

7. Sam says:

That was the worst pilot I’ve seen in quite a few years. Even worse than The New Normal and The Neighbors. The networks are sure trotting out some stinkers this fall.

• jari says:

Really? The New Normal? That show is amazing!

• Dennis says:

the new normal is horrible

• Leo says:

Definitely not what 5 million people think who tune to TNN every week.
          It’s a great show.

• Eli says:

Yes, because America totally doesn’t love crap right?

How many viewers does Honey Boo Boo get? How many viewers do the Kardashians get?

Your argument is stupid. And the New Normal is pretty awful on a number of criteria. It also has a few good things going for it, but there’s a lot about it that can be criticized.

8. jake says:

Ok, IMO I am not buying into the whole Kristen as detective thing. Just no. The show is ok, but I bet it will be gone soon. Only thing going for it is that it has a good lead-in with TVD. I will watch next week just to see if it improves at all.

9. lala says:

I don’t understand the whole police aspect of this show..nor do I believe Kristin Kreuk as a detective..at all. But ill probably give it a few more episodes until it finds out what type of show its trying to be. The pilot reminded me of CSI for tweens mixed with a little fantasy twist.

• Amber says:

It’s called urban fantasy. It’s an actual genre that’s very popular, particularly in literature both young adult and adult. I think if they iron out the kinks this show will be very steeped in urban fantasy and will be a lot like Moonlight (though even if the show becomes amazing, I still won’t like it as much as that!).

10. Mrs. Peele says:

I remember the 1987 original Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman who was actually a ‘beast’ every minute. He had an enormous amount of make up applied for this role. Their story was a beautifull fairy tale like theme with a world beneath the city streets of New York with colorful characters like ‘Father’ who raised Vincent when he was abandoned by his parents because of his abnormality. The stories were centered on characters from both the world above and below and Vincent did save Catherine’s life and nursed her back to health and had a special bond with her throughout all the seasons. She was not a detective though, but she was involved with cases I think in the DAs office. I knew this show would not be like that because it’s a different time now. But this is just going to be another crime drama which happens to have a ‘monster’ part but who really isn’t the creature Vincent was – highly intelligent, warm, emotional, caring. And when Vincent roared the roar was heard throughout the entire underground!

• Mary says:

Yeah. I think she had originally worked at her father’s law firm until she got attacked. After she recovered she went to work with the DA.

11. Jared says:

I believe that the government gave the beast some magical vitamins/antibiotics that turn him into a beast more so than Kristin Kreuk as a police detective.

12. JeffDJ says:

The first episode didn’t blow me away. As others have said, I just don’t buy Kristin as a homicide detective, and that’s not a good thing for the main character. I don’t like that they skewed this series young, though I suppose that’s not surprising considering it’s the CW.

13. jan says:

I thought it was okay. I’ll come back for more. I like the concept, and Kristin is a beauty.

14. Sarah says:

The pilot was ok. I didn’t have many expectations going into it but it wasn’t bad as I was led to believe. I’m not sure if i’m going to watch it next week. I still have a problem with Vincent as a beast. I get CW love their pretty boys and girls and for shows like Gossip Girl and 90210, it works. However the entire premise of this show is supposed to be Catherine learning to fall in love with his inner beauty. Even with the ‘beastly’ look, he’s more handsome than the majority of people I know. Hell, he could have a paper bag on his head and this guy would still be good looking.

The show is decent….if they figure out a way to iron out their issues, it could be really great.

15. mia says:

I was actually surprised by the fact that I enjoyed this. I’m not a fan of Kristen Kruek and I really dislike the Beauty and the Beast story…but I really enjoyed this pilot. Kinda looking forward to next week.
    As long as it doesn’t get all abuse-is-glamourous-girls-stay-with-your-man-cause-he-really-loves-you-even-though-he-abuses-you, than I’m good.

16. Hojana says:

Yeah…I see this being cancelled very soon.

17. Luu says:

I really don’t know what’s worse: Lana Lang as a detective or Summer Roberts as a doctor? It’s a shame ’cause I really like Kristin Kreuk, but she just keeps chosing bad roles.

18. Mebby says:

It was better than I thought it was going to be. BUT Kristin is trying too hard. Time will tell.

19. Lyndsey says:

Sorry this just cannot compare to the original. You can’t have a “Beast” who looks like a freaking model. It just defeats the entire premise. No thanks!!!!

• Amber says:

Untrue. As long as the themes point out the struggle of the beast within, it is perfectly okay to make the Beast good-looking. I’m pretty sure many of the people commenting are completely unfamiliar with the BATB archetype and its origins as well as the many different versions of the story.

20. Mark says:

After watching Arrow and loving it and seeing Emily Owens MD and really enjoying it, I was quite pleased with CW’s new line up this year. However, then I saw this show and I was sorely disappointed. My god what an awful show. I absolutely loathe Kristen Kreuk. Bleh. Cancel this immediately please and don’t give that girl any more work.

21. Fabe says:

It was alright. I will tune in next week and maybe the week after to see where its headed. I wonder how it’s ratings are going to be debuting after TVD.

22. greysfan says:

Well that was just plain boring. I gave it a D. There wasn’t much in it to be honest. Would have preferred if ABC picked up its version as it sounded much better.

23. Hojana says:

Its because its yet another cop show…with an exterior sci-fi image…There are enough of those around.

24. Skye says:

Let’s see: the DNA-altered Military experiment that likes to sit on top of buildings — Dark Angel. the transformation during extreme emotions: the Hulk. The detective/cop/agent trying to solve the case of their lost parent: countless shows. The actual plot of nicotine poisoning right down to the bogus pre-nup claim and the pregnant girlfriend — season 1 of the Closer.

Yes, it’s supposed to be based loosely on the 80s show, but if it’s going to blatantly rip off so many other things, there’s nothing to make it fresh and original — I can see pretty people being violent and emotionally tormented on half a dozen other shows on the CW, including Arrow — all of which are much more interesting.

25. George says:

Considering the reviews for this show were horrendous my expectations were EXTREMELY low. Ten minutes in I thought, eh this show is actually not that bad, 10 minutes later I was bored out of my mind. Seriously, I thought the show was almost over I couldn’t believe I was only 20 minutes into it. So yeah, with all the Thursday night options in the time slot I WON’T be tuning in again…

26. Maria says:

I’m looking forward to seeing the next episode. I never liked the original movie but this show is so much better then the original. It’s doesn’t matter if the beast is hot or not it still a good show. GIVE IT A CHANCE!

27. kdsmurray says:

Give the show an actual chance. Stop being haters, give the show time to build!

28. LJW says:

Kristin Kreuk – extremely miscast. And of course the Beast has to be handsome, this is CW. I give this only 13 episodes.

29. Gave it a shot tonight, but next week I’m going back to “Elementary”. I just couldn’t get interested enough.

30. Patrick says:

I was not impressed, the actors especially the leads are miscast in their roles, it wasn’t believable at all. And the writing wasn’t that great. Also, the beast was pathetic – seriously he’s a pretty boy with a scar on the side. I give it a C.

31. Amber says:

Was the pilot great? No. It was okay. BUT, I don’t think it was as horrible as many people are saying. Right now it does feel like a combination between Moonlight and Dark Angel, just not nearly as good. BUT I do think there is enough potential in it to fix what’s wrong and make it entertaining. I have a tendency to support all things BATB (I know way too much about the actual archetype, mythology and history behind it for my own good – and no it has nothing to do with the Disney cartoon), not to mention I’m a sucker for urban fantasy. And since there are so few urban fantasy series I’ll support this one so there will be future ones! So what are the main issues objectively? One, the dialogue wasn’t great. There were some clunky moments, too much exposition which felt awkward, etc…But that’s an easy fix. They were probably trying to get the exposition in there to sell the pilot and get it on the air. The writers can easily work toward making the dialogue better. Two, the look of the Beast is cheesy. It looks like bad CGI. I don’t know if makeup would make it better, but there definitely needs to be some reworking. I don’t mind the character being a beast part of the time as that is common in many BATB tales, including the original by Villenueve. He’s human in her dreams, so it’s not much of a stretch. But when he’s the actual Beast it shouldn’t look fake. Three, Cat’s partner needs to go. No charisma, no point to her character, etc…Easy fix…write her out in future episodes and then write in someone much more interesting.Four, the procedural mysteries need to be stronger if they are going to go down that route. Though, I think Moonlight figured it out as they went along that it was the mythology, the characters, the relationships and chemistry that made it great. I think BATB should do the same. Focus on the mythology and the romance rather than the crime of the week. The show does have the potential to gain a cult following! Plus there needs to be some better promos. AKA. Music video promos. Whenever these types of shows combine music with the video in long promos it makes more people want to watch. Anyway, I will keep watching and overall I enjoyed it. And I think there can be many little things and even a few big things wrong with the pilot, but it can still become a great show. I’m optimistic that the show will find its way. Plus, extra points for casting Brian White and the Spooks actor. Now I’m hearing Jason Dohring is available! Maybe he can be another beast that survived! LOL. I’m actually serious!

32. Melody Paris says:

My issue is with the Beast part of this story. I didn’t mind the characters mysteries, I thought Kreuk kicked some serious ass on that subway platform, and the case of the week was interesting enough. Still, he’s supposed to be beastly. This is Beauty and the Beast – where’s the freakin’ beast?!?!?

33. Yvonne says:

I wish they hadn’t used Vincent and Catharine’s names, since the characters are nothing like the original series.

• Mrs. Peele says:

I agree. Name changing would have been appropriate since there was nothing of the original in this. It is just another government conspiracy coverup, crime drama with a hint of monster on the side.

34. Remy says:

I thought it was good for a first episode. It will get better as it goes on. God people are soo mean, I think it will be awesome. Plus it will be an awesome love story.

35. Debra says:

I watched this because of curiosity of how it would be compared to the original that I had watched as a teenager. It wasn’t as good as that show but there is chemistry between the two leads that I found interesting. I just don’t know if it was enough to keep my attention going into the coming weeks when their timeslot competitors will be showing new episodes as well.

36. Kim R says:

After reading all the comments so far I feel like the fact that the original Vincent was an actual beast visually is getting stuck on. I really like that fact that this Vincent wrestles with this beast that lies within him due to the government. The fact that he doesn’t look like a cat doesn’t bother me at all. I think it is a smart way to make it a more modern Beauty and the Beast story. I hope the network gives it a chance. :)

37. sammy k. says:

All u guys stop being negative comment give a chance the show:)

38. Luc says:

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WE THINK
    only Nielsen Familys matter, cuz they decide TV for all of us

39. sammy k. says:

U never know they bring moooore next next episode will be great awosomely epic and support beaubeasty show and soon later they bring all the cast of the 1980 show beaubeasty::::)))))

40. Michelle says:

I liked it. It wasn’t the greatest thing I’ve ever seen but I’m willing to stick around. Remember the TVD pilot wasn’t that great either. ;)

41. sammy k. says:

I want 2 see how faaar they can bring all through season & episode sooo l like 2 watching beaubeasty. this show will last forever i like how they make it twist the story & modern and cat kick ass ;;;>))))))

42. Shuayb says:

The show was okay. It didn’t that X Factor that will grab the attention of many people but if they loose the cheesiness and alter the beast a little bit more than maybe it could be better. Kristin Kruek did well. The fighting scene was top notch but then she ran in the same direction as the train… A bit wierd. We’ll see how things play out.

43. dvmom says:

I found it hard to get past the horrible fake ‘New York’ accents. That is all.

44. Lilly says:

I didn’t expect the originality nor the ingenuity of the original. I didn’t even expect to be swept off my feet. But I did expect some, a little, any originality, I thought it is a pilot, It is only Pilot, do not have high expectations. The premise has to be set. BUT first, like many people said, it was luke warm. second the murder plot was a very poorly executed rip of “The Closer” first season episode 2. So, no originality of the premise, since it is a remake (and rather a dissappointing remake. Many people have said before me, so I am not going to go into detail) No originality in the sub-plot, poor acting. So no, I am not watching the next episode.
    You liked it, you wanna watch, be my guest. This is only my opinion.

45. Morisot says:

It was light-weight, but not…bad. LOL – love that “CSI for tweens” above.

46. I will give it more episodes, people are quick to drop a show on its pilot, not every show can do a great on a pilot, so I always stick around, im not quick to judge like others.

47. Rachel says:

Thought the acting was that great which was surprising since I really like Lana on Smallville and the the plot was sort of cliche. Gave it a D. I’ll tune in next week and hopefully it might get better. I always give a show a three episode shot. It’s not great but there’s not much else on at this time slot so……….

48. tvdiva says:

I loved the original 1980s show. Great writing and great writing by Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman nailed it as the Beast. Having said that, I found the pilot a big letdown. First off, not every police detective is in their late 20s and looks like a model. Most are twice that age with twice the experience. The two leads have no chemistry at all. The writing and acting needs improvement. I recommend people go re-watch the original series, and watch Arrow. Arrow’s premiere episode rocked and looks like the standout hit for the CW this year.

49. GeekGirl13 says:

I actually gave this Beauty and The (not-quite)Beast pilot ep an “Okay”, which I honestly didn’t expect to be able to say. I wasn’t even going to watch it for several reasons: 1) KK has never appealed to me as an actress (I’m sure she’s a lovely person, and I’m not saying she’s not talented) just that she hold zero appeal to me in anything I’ve ever seen her in and in some instances (Smallville, in particular) her presence lessened the experience. 2) I’m a fan of the original series and think if you’re going to have ‘Beast’ in the name you should do it justice and nothing I saw in the show’s promotion material suggested they would. 3) I’ve got enough shows to watch that adding another hour for a show i already felt ambivalent about just seemed pointless. So why did I watch? Because there’s not enough Urban Fantasy (or Fantasy in general) on TV and I’m enough of a hopeful romantic to want to see if the show would hold even a portion of the magic and heart the original held for me. Sadly, it didn’t and I doubt I’ll keep watching, but all in all the show wasn’t bad, just not for me.

50. Chris says:

Pretty darn bad pilot. Kreuk is still a terrible actress, her character is unbelievable, and the Beast is a bore.