Fall TV Preview

Did ABC's Nashville Hit the Right Notes?

Will you be making regular trips to Nashville?

ABC’s new country-music drama, which premiered Wednesday at 10/9c, follows Rayna Jaymes (Friday Night LightsConnie Britton), a once-hot singer whose career has stalled. In order to stave off huge financial losses, her record company (nicely) orders her to ditch her upcoming solo tour and instead open for Juliette Barnes (HeroesHayden Panettiere), a sexed-up younger artist with crossover appeal. Barnes also has a bitchy streak, an addict mother, a tendency to hit sour notes and her own interpretation of friendly behavior. “I’m always nice,” she purrs to a member of her entourage moments before acting quite the opposite in Rayna’s presence.

Rayna hates the idea of touring with Juliette, but husband Teddy’s past financial failures (“We’re just a different kind of rich called ‘cash poor,’” he tells one of their young daughters) coupled with her refusal to accept any help from her domineering dad Lamar (Powers Boothe) makes the “co-headlining” gig seem inevitable.

Meanwhile, against Rayna’s wishes, her powerful father coaxes her husband into a mayoral run (“How about letting me step into the limelight for a change?” Teddy spits at her during an argument) and her bandleader Deacon (Charles Esten) – with whom she has a romantic past – is mulling a job offer from Juliette. But the hour ends on an up note when Nashville newbies Scarlett (Clare Bowen) and Gunnar (Sam Palladio) take the stage at an open mic night and perform an original song that just might revive Rayna’s career.

The music is fantastic, the relationships intriguing (what, exactly, was Lamar alluding to when he mentioned one of his granddaughters?) and the y’alls a welcome treat for anyone missing FNL’s Mrs. Coach.

That’s what we think, but what’s your take? Grade Nashville via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

Tags: ,

Comments (103)

• A-

Connie Britton was fantastic. However, except for Rayna’s father, all of the supporting cast was forgettable. If you’re going to make Rayna and Juliette the only layered characters, make the show just about them and ignore everyone else.

Comment by nick1372 – October 11, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was out of town and forgot to tape it. Is it any good……….worth watching?

Comment by Ugh.......me – October 11, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC had better fix it’s wierd voice over on this show and SHARKS, or I won’t watch their network.

Comment by Mary – October 14, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its good enough. I have seen the episodes so far. I just have a feeling it might wear itself out quickly though I hope now.

Comment by g.rwilliams@yahoo.com – October 27, 2012 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED IT…I thought everyone on the show was great. Will definitely be one of my favorite shows. I think it is the best new show this fall.

Comment by Maggie Ames – November 6, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED this show. Loved all the singers, but I have to say, I loved Scarlett the best. Her and Gunnar were terrific in everything they did. Loved Rayna and Deacon…just hope they. have a chance to be together again.

Comment by Maggie Ames – November 20, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. I like the way it’s put together. While watching Rayna and Teddy argue, there is a song going on…can’t explain it, but it was terrific!

Comment by margaretames – December 17, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Listen to Ghetto Chronicles and download it today! Only on Sound Cloud.

Comment by Listen to and down load Don't Say No by rising Tanner Records artist J.G. Kognac! – May 22, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post