Garden Staked: CBS Cancels Made in Jersey

Made in Jersey CancelledAnd the first cancellation of the 2012-13 TV season is… CBS’ Made in Jersey.

The Eye network has pulled the freshman procedural from its Friday schedule after two very low-rated outings.

To fill the voidCSI: NY will move to 9/8c and the 8 pm perch will be filled by rotating procedural encores (first up this Friday: NCIS) until Undercover Boss takes over there beginning Nov. 2.

In its second week, Jersey shed nearly 30 percent of its premiere week demo rating (dropping to a CW-like 0.8).

Post your eulogies for Janet Montgomery’s Jersey girl in the comments. And while you’re at it, place your bets on what will be this season’s second cancellation.

1. Elf says:

I haven’t seen this show, but I can’t say CBS gave it much of a shot. I follow tv pretty closely and know absolutely nothing about it.

• RJ says:

CBS advertised it pretty much all summer. Two low rated episodes was two too many for this dud.

• Esaul says:

CBS did an excellent job advertising the show. But Friday is a hard night for new shows typically.

• Mike says:

I would hardly call it excellent, I watched a lot of CBS this summer and come premiere I had never heard of it or seen any of its advertising so I would say CBS could of done better promoting it.

• Esaul says:

Meh. I’ve seen plenty of advertisements around the internet and in my TV Guide. I think CBS gave it a fair shot. Probably should’ve went elsewhere initially with this show anyway.

• luc says:

I love how people are coming up with excuses why it was cancelled. The show sucked that’s why it was cancelled.

• Temperence says:

CBS cancels their new shows so fast, I gave up watching any of them several years ago until they get a series order, and sometimes I wait until a renewal. It’s a good thing most of their programming is not to my taste.

• Diana says:

I’m about ready to stop watching, last several years they did stuff lke that. The show Simon Baker was in before t was a good show they axed it,
        I watched the show in questions and looked forward to seeing it again but CBS dd their bs once again. Going to fill t with The Boss? another freak realty show lke these bosses actually give their employees the time of day any other time. anddddddd seems ts always a friggen re run. I stopped watchng it, it was stupid.

• ddddddddddd says:

What is CBS thinking with. I thought this was a great show. Replacing it with Undercover Boss which is a farce in itself. A handful of employees get something big. No one would say anything bad about a company while on camera unless this show is scripted. CBS is wrong. Take undercover Boss off and put back the shows we like to watch. Those of us over the age of 40. Or is this discrimination of older people. By the way. We are the ones with the money to spend not the 24 = 40 year olds out of work. Get your blank out of your blank blank.

• Melinda says:

I’m way over 40 and this show is an insult to the residents of the Garden State. If they had adjusted the accents on all the characters it would have been a much more pleasant experience. First of all, there is no NJ accent in that show. All the accents are bad versions of a New York accent. The actors in this show are too good for that and I bet they would agree with me. Donna Murphy is a premier Broadway actress and she deserves better than to play the mother with that God awful accent. If you watch Blue Bloods, which takes place in New York, you do not hear an accent on any of the characters. Standard American English works for all of across the country. If you watch The Good Wife, you don’t hear a Chicago or Midwestern accent. Again, it has to be pleasant for everyone who watches. Bad accents are for reality shows which are as scripted as most of the dramas and comedies we see on TV.

• Pattie says:

I saw all the show’s and really started to like it. good shows cancelled way too soon to let people find out about them. i mean, presidential debates pr-empted shows, Sandy destruction with news all day and night along with the telethon. how does anyone have time to watch….shame to loose this one too.

• Kenneth says:

It was a really good show, CBS gave it no chance.

• Connie says:

I really enjoyed this show and was really upset that it canceled.. I dont feel they even gave it a chance.. What the heck is up with CBS…

2. Not surprised. It had a good premise but poor execution, and the ratings were very poor for CBS. Fox’s ‘The Mob Doctor’ will be the next to go.

• Jan says:

I liked Made In Jersey better than Mob Doctor!!!

• Jerry says:

I really liked the 2 episodes I saw, they didn’t give it much of a chance. “The Mob Doctor” is good also so I certainly hope they don’t cancel that one

• bon says:

I watched both episodes and I liked it a lot. I thought it was a good start and could have built from there. I liked how the newbie, was able to find new ways to solve issues. Didn’t even know it was cancelled until came to site was looking forward to watching it tonight.

3. Mik says:

Lol, poor Eric Stoltz

4. Eridapo says:

Fox, your move. The Mob Doctor.

5. Joe says:

I saw the first show on iTunes , for free ,it want bad but it didn’t fit CBS

6. Joe says:

And I thought mob doctor would’ve been first

7. Pinky_85 says:

So not surprised by this…it was pure dreck.

8. Meg says:

Wow, usually shows are being axed like in mid September, this is probably the first time I’ve seen a show get axed like this late in the fall season.

9. Bobbi says:

IMO, it wasn’t the worst thing on tv. Not even the worst new show.

10. yall says:

What is this weird fascination with all things Jersey? There are other states…

11. Kiki says:

Wow if CBS cancelled it, that says a lot. Is this show on Tuesday? Man I wished they move The Good Wife back to Tuesday.(wishful thinking)

12. Hellooooooooo, Friday reruns.

13. Elyse says:

RIP Made in Jersey. no surprise here.

14. Robert Zich says:

USA or TNT could pick it up??
    Networks never know how to program shows right days.

• Esaul says:

I doubt that will happen. It wasn’t a buzz worthy show and didn’t generate enough ratings. I would hope they don’t pick it up either. Now if this was like Southland where NBC axed it, then we’d have something to talk about.

15. Any news if CBS will be switching CSI:NY back to its 9pm timeslot? Just wondering, really. (That’s all I care about!) :)

16. LilAngel says:

I like that show. They should have given it a chance (2 episodes is way too short)

17. Gumpopper says:

Good. I’m sick of British actor playing Americans, especially a homegrown Jersey girl.

• ML says:

Exactly! Do you think the BBC would even consider using an American actor to play British on one of their programs? Hell No!

18. Esaul says:

I’m not surprised that Made in Jersey was cancelled…I’m surprised it was cancelled first. I expected The Mob Doctor or Guys With Kids/Animal Practice to go first.

• Kim says:

Agree with the rest of your comment but Guys with Kids is very funny. I love that show.

• Esaul says:

I WANT to love Guys With Kids ’cause of Jimmy Fallon and Anthony Anderson. But it doesn’t appeal to me. And kinda like Made In Jersey, I think Guys With Kids feels like it should be on Nick At Nite or even Nick itself. Maybe TVLand.

• Tom Charles says:

Guys with Kids has a kind of decent cast but it just felt stale and uninspired to me. And Erin Hayes’ character is just grating shrew. Her “no babysitters rule”, even applying to apparently friends turned me off.

• Kasper F. Nielsen says:

I can’t imagine Animal Practice lasting much longer.

19. jake says:

It was ok. Watched both episodes…I like the lead actress but you all are right felt like a USA show. Not surprised it got the cut. Animal Practice probably isn’t to far behind…It’s kinda cheesy, the only funny thing is the monkey.

20. I say the second cancellation of the season will be The Mob Doctor!

21. kjess says:

It wasn’t a bad show. Not great, but not awful. I just don’t understand how this was cancelled, but Mob Doctor and The Neighbors are still on!

22. Those dummies. Personally I think Made in Jersey should have been on at 8 because the subject matter in CSI: NY is a little grim for 8 p.m. However, Made in Jersey, cute show. And it was not given a chance. These suits … spare me.

• Esaul says:

I think the showrunner should’ve shopped around maybe USA with Made in Jersey. A show like that probably would’ve done well there. It doesn’t feel like a broadcast show. And they had it at 9 to utilize CSI:NY as a lead-in. I think selling the show to CBS was a bad idea in general.

• CSI:NY is actually pretty funny and cute. It’s seriously one of the funniest shows I watch. Of course, they have murders and everything to investigate, but the team is upbeat, they’re always joking around, they have a positive energy. So much, CBS put it at 8pm, and it kept its whole audience.

• catbean says:

I love CSI:NY so if this helps keep that around another season than I couldn’t be happier. Besides, this show always came off like it wanted the Jersey Shore audience who 1) wouldn’t watch CBS and 2) wouldn’t be smart enough to follow a law show. LOL!

23. I really love Janet Montgomery and I was waiting for this show so badly since first announcement, but it was painfully obvious from the pilot that the show would be cancelled soon. The writing was poor, “Jersey family” storyline was absolutely boring and useless and supporting characters didn’t have any depth or chemistry with Martina. And what kind of show is it if there isn’t even a slightest conflict? *sigh*

24. Mary Cefalu says:

Get rid of The Neighbors next, then the Mob Doctor.

25. My guess on second cancellation is Last Resort.

26. Jessica says:

Im not surprised given its ratings. I didnt think it was a bad show, but parts of it were sort of offensive to me since im from NJ. I thought it was weird that all the people at the law firm were like oh, how cute that this jersey girl thinks she can be a manhattan lawyer…I guess because she had an accent? (more like a staten island accent IMO anyway), but I come from a town where half the people work in Manhattan and nobody treats them like they are aliens!

• kjess says:

As a fellow Jersey girl, I completely agree! The accent was awful, and the premise that it would be odd for someone from NJ to work in NYC was just off.

• Bev says:

My husband is from Jersey & he certainly doesn’t sound like that…of course I have had him in the south for 40+ years lol…my M_I_L still lives there & if she heard them she would lol

• Melissa says:

I was raised in NJ. I went to a NJ law school and a ton of my classmates commute from NJ to Manhattan. It’s extremely common.

And no one I know has an accent like that. Were any of the writers actually from NJ?

27. Ella says:

And the CBS Friday night curse continues …

• That’s why I’m so positive they won’t cancel CSI:NY this year. They’ll keep it through the 10th season. They know how hard it is to find a show that brings 8. something million people on a Friday night.

• faye scott says:

CSI:NY (one of my favorites. I even watch the reruns on TNT late night) and one of CBS’s cash cows; will last as long as Gary Sinise stays. He stated at the end of season 8 that he was ready to call it quits and move on to something else.

28. Sherry says:

Well, they should’ve left Gifted Man alone last year. It was much better than Made in Jersey OR Vegas. This is a very disappointing year for new shows. So many good shows were dropped for this mess?

• Bev says:

I totally agree

• 3dhouseofmagic says:

Agree-Gifted Man was good once you got past the dead wife thing. Good medical issues and character development. Have to say I thought Made in Jersey was cute, light entertainment, not something show stopping. Have to agree with some of the other posters that it would have been perfect for the CW-to replace Gossip Girl.

29. Jared says:

This would have been a good show for the CW..and probably would have done well enough to warrant at least a full season.

• Gem says:

Honestly, I don’t think this show would have done well on the CW. It may have the drama factor but the shows coming out of the CW now are much better written and produced than this show was.

• Dean says:

CW shows are so much better than MIJ! I’m not talking about GG, ANTM or 90210, just to be clear.

30. downsidebob says:

Fairly legal is a better series on tnt

31. Linda says:

Should have given A Gifted Man another season…

32. Didn’t watch (though the actress looked talented). 2nd cancellation: Mob Doctor

33. Josee says:

I’m just sad because that means no more Kristoffer Polaha on my tv :( He needs to find himself a decent show…

34. lll says:

I think people are growing tired of the ‘Jersey’ fascination. Too bad. I wanted Janet Montgomery to succeed. Like everyone said, Mob Doctor will be next.

35. I applaud Janet Montgomery for adopting a TV-esque Jersey accent… but no show featuring her should have her shed her incredible British accent. That’s a crime against viewers everywhere.

“Made in Jersey” felt like filler. It felt like the network committing to something they knew wasn’t going to last. Endless ways to make the show better, maybe, but that wasn’t going to happen.

36. Babybop says:

Mob Doctor or The Neighbors is next.

37. Josh says:

Wow, Kristoffer Polaha is series kryptonite.

R.I.P.

Life Unexpected
    Ringer
    Made in Jersey

38. Chris says:

Does anyone know if they will be airing the unaired episodes online or not?

39. I’m sad now I liked this show :(

40. Rachel says:

Mob Doctor will be next

41. Mantra720 says:

Major problem with this show for this month; many local CBS affiliates air political debates on Fridays this time of the year because nobody wants to be that jerk that pre-empted “NCIS” or “Grey’s Anatomy”; Friday is a low-risk night for pre-emption.

They should’ve waited a few more weeks to make a cancel call. The show wasn’t as terrible as “The Mob Doctor” by any means, and had potential. Now we’ll never know.

42. Anna says:

Damn, I was so sure The Mob Doctor was gonna be the first to be cancelled! But I’m okay with this one, too – didn’t like the show. Why was the Jersey-girl always shouting all of her lines? Is this something people from Jersey actually do?
    Next to be cancelled (hopefully): Mob Doctor and Animal Practice (so Community can get it’s spot. And it sucks.)!

43. JESSICA says:

I actually thought it wasn’t bad, not a great show. And it probably would have done better on a different network like Lifetime

44. tahina says:

Im not surprised it got cancelled, but I am with CBS considering this trash for its Fall line up.

45. keithas says:

Oh great. They cancelled CSI Miami for this??

46. Too bad, I liked this show and watched it with my mom.

47. madbengalsfan85 says:

Next in Line: Mob Doctor

48. amy says:

Now CSI/NY will suffer going up against Fringe and Grimm! :(

• Probably not, they were up against each other last year and were fine. Also, Fringe and Grimm are genre dramas.

• GMoore says:

I agree that the Mob Doctor is just starting to get good! But remember we are talking about networks that canceled Moonlight, Lie to me, The Event , The 11th hour. I guess I should pay more attention to ratings and not get too invested in these stories, cause it sucks to be into a show and then BOOM the bomb drops! I am no expert, I just know what I like :)

49. Ok I am going to defend The Mob Doctor, yes the pilot was aweful a plain F, but every episode snice then has really proven how good this show is, I know it will be cancel because ratings are awful, but most people are just judging the mob doctor by its pilot, but the 3 million who stayed understand how good the show has gotten.

• Anna says:

I didn’t want to judge by the pilot only, so I watched the following episodes and I didn’t really like them either, so… IDK, if/when it gets cancelled, it will be sad to see Zach Gilford disappear from my TV again!

• Josee says:

I agree, and it has the potential to get even better. I really like it.

50. Chicago Dan says:

CBS gave MIJ a chance. Both times, it lost a HUGE % of CSI:NY lead-in. (And the lead-out BB went up). Since most of audience followed NY to inappropriately earlier to timeslot, they should rebound this week.