Did The CW's Arrow Hit the Spot?

The CW’s Arrow hit primetime on Wednesday night — but in your opinion, did it hit the bullseye? Or did it land in, like, that first ring just outside dead center?

PHOTOS | Hot Shots: The CW’s Arrow Takes on Deadshot

Arrow presented Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen, an uberwealthy cad who loses his father — and what was left (i.e. not much!) of his innocence — in a tragic yachting accident. After five years of isolation on a remote isle, a megabuff and brooding Oliver returns home to Starling City where he assumes the after-hours persona of Arrow, a hooded, bow-toting vigilante who targets, among other ne’er-do-wells, the slithery slimeballs on a list left to him by his dad.

Populating Ollie’s world are Katie Cassidy (Melrose Place) as Laurel Lance, his legal activist ex-girlfriend; Susanna Thompson (Once & Again) and Willa Holland (The O.C.) as his mother Moira and kid sis Thea aka “Speedy”; Paul Blackthorne (The Dresden Files) as Laurel’s detective dad, Quentin; and Colin Donnell (Pan Am) and David Ramsey (Dexter) as his BFF Tommy Merlyn and bodyguard John Diggle.

RELATED | Arrow Casts Torchwood‘s John Barrowman and Battlestar‘s Tahmoh Penikett

Arrow packed in several thrilling action sequences, and Oliver’s island existence is plenty ripe for revisiting via flashbacks (Hi, Deathstroke mask!). But his day-to-day life hit a bump here and there, momentum-wise. For one, as I said in my First Impression, the jury is out on how Donnell’s sorta-goofy, hottie-hunting Tommy — who, according to lore, has his own dynamic destiny — fits into this stark, edgy narrative. But there certainly is great potential for the series as a whole.

What did you think of Arrow? Assign a grade below, then hit the Comments with your review.

1. Chase says:

FYI
    SUPERNATURAL is the BEST SHOW on CW…that’s why the President of the Network says it will be on as long as he is there!

I am hoping for something to fill the absence of SMALLVILLE…..not sure if ARROW will be it…they slapped the actual story in the face way to much out of the gate – we’ll see

VAMPIRE DIARIES is not bad, they shoot it where I live, been an extra on it, the people are nice and feed you WELL! LOL

BEST SHOWS ON TV NOW:

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
    CHUCK
    ENTOURAGE
    ANGLE

• nellycooke@hotmail.co.uk says:

; )

• I am part brit myself and have enjoyed Torchwood, Doctor Who ,Sarah tJane (god bless her soul)” etc… I think that bringing J.B. into Arrow beside the fact of his love of comics is to make up the cancell of Torchwood, in th 2nd season. We were only allowed repeats of dr. Who at 5 am ; untill Matt smith were given the tardis keys .they did not. Even let us see the regeneration. thank the lord for Amazon and tapes .

• Dean says:

Stop shouting the names… Mark Pedowitz said that he’s a huge fan and as long as Supernatural brings in decent ratings, he’d love for it to be on the network. Not that it’d be there even if it made losses. Other than that, pretty much agree with everything else. Last Resort is also cool. Revolution is my favorite new drama.

2. John says:

Overall I thought it was good and it has a lot of potential, however as attractive as he may be, “Arrow” himself simply cannot act. Fortunately though, that’s not required for a show like this to work. I liked Katie Cassidy more. Otherwise I thought the plot/writing was very cliche and it bothers me when the hero only prevails because the baddie with a machine gun can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

3. Bob says:

What’s “The CW”?

4. Rain says:

It’s funny, originally I wasn’t sure I was going to watch it because I was annoyed they weren’t casting Justin Hartley in it. After watching the trailers I decided to give it a try and I have to say, I LOVED Stephen Amell in it. It’s a much more serious, dark version of Green Arrow vs. Smallville’s – and I like that! My only complaint was that it was set in Luthor mansion, I found it distracting and I kept waiting for Rosenbaum to show up!

5. nellycooke@hotmail.co.uk says:

Bad Acting! Great Action!

6. JP says:

I tuned in solely b/c of Paul Blackthorne, & was pleasantly surprised to see Colin Salmon as well. I’m not a huge comics fan, but I didn’t hate it either.

7. Mikael says:

I like the costume, it definitely seems more realistic than the Smallville GA costume (though that one was cool-looking, it wouldn’t fit this show’s tone) But painting his eyes really does nothing to hide his identity! He needs to wear a mask or goggles or something. I was really surprised no one could tell that Ollie was GA. Hopefully they update that.

8. Michelle says:

I loved it. Justin made me a Green Arrow fan on Smallville and Stephen is carrying on admirably! :)

9. Jason says:

Why aren’t we talking about the REAL intrigue, here: ARROW’S OWN MOTHER HAD HIM KIDNAPPED BY ARMED THUGS TO FIND OUT IF HIS FATHER SURVIVED AND WHAT HE TOLD OLIVER!

10. sarah says:

Best new fall show and as much as I love The Vampire Diaries this may be my new fave Cw show with TVD close behind.

11. G says:

Great start! Loved it! Will place this in my other must view shows from CW (TVD, Nikita, and Hart of Dixie). This was the best of the season premiers that I have watched so far this year.

12. hru says:

This was another fail by the CW

13. Sarah says:

I might give it another episode but it was not really very good. I am all for a bit of a suspension of belief but some of the plot was just too far-fetched. Hopefully some of this will be explained in the future eps. Where did he get such a high-tech bow on a deserted island (the bow was in the box with his items from the island). Doesn’t seem like his dad had the time or energy to explain the “Revenge” style list of enemies so how did he become so focused and motivated on exacting justice? How did he become a high-tech bank hacker while he was away? Really no one noticed that your first days back you spend a small fortune on computer equipment? All that on top on a cast of mostly unlikable characters, there will have to be some real improvement for me to keep watching.

14. nicky says:

I love the premise of the show and I love the actors, but what fell flat for me was the script when it came to characterization. I couldn’t make a connection to the characters, they don’t make me root for them, they don’t make me dislike them either, which is not the best basis. If the arrow writers fix that by making the characters more relatable, maybe by adding more wit or hints at their emotions, it’s gonna be an AWESOME show.

15. Joe says:

I know CW isnt supposed to be a real station and caters to subpar entertainment of glamorous 20 somethings thrust into extraordinary circumstances as long as their hair isnt tussled. However I thought I would give arrow a chance… same good looking 20 something soap opera… however when I view scene after scene of some pretty boy idiot shooting arrows at henchmen with machine guns I cant stand to watch another bit. Here seriously came face to face with a machine gun and he and a girl ducked and ran away while bullets sprayed all around them. I am open to some suspension of disbelief but who writes this garbage. What truly hits home with audiences (not the 90210 hair gelled crowd) is a dash of reality – real emotion, real action, vulnerability, the good guys get hurt once in awhile. Oh well should have trusted my instincts and stayed away…

16. Lori says:

I don’t care for the female lead. I don’t think they have good chemistry. Replace the girl and I might watch it again.

17. erin says:

Arrow is the worst show ever remove it from the cw network it is definitely just like Cult