Fall TV Preview

NBC's Chicago Fire: Was It Hot or Not?

Chicago FireNBC’s Chicago Fire sprang into action on Wednesday night — and we want to know if these firefighters and paramedics lit your fire.

RELATED | Exclusive: Onetime One Life to Live Troublemaker Joins Chicago Fire

Before you unleash your snappy judgments on the series premiere, a brief refresher: The latest venture from prolific executive producer Dick Wolf centers on Chicago Firehouse 51, a hotbed of brave and, yes, ridiculously good-looking heroes with emotional baggage. The top dogs are Matthew (Jesse Spencer), who has a fiancée (Teri Reeves) who isn’t ready to marry him, and rescue squad member Kelly (Taylor Kinney), who’s giving himself (cortisone?) shots in the shoulder. The two men have beef stemming from the death of one of their own, and it plays out in the form of bickering:

“They make the rescue helmets extra big to fit their heads inside,” says Matthew.

“There are two types of firefighters: Those who are on squad, and those who wish they were on squad,” replies Kelly.

But at the end of the day, it’s a brotherhood, and they rescue each other during a dangerous blaze. Then, at the hospital while waiting to hear word about one of their colleagues, they give each other the universal man nod that everything’s cool now.

RELATED | Community, Whitney Fall Returns Delayed

It’s not all a testosterone battle: Monica Raymund and Lauren German play paramedics Gabriela and Leslie, the latter of which firehouse newbie Peter (Charlie Barnett) learns is gay during a bit of ribbing. Eamonn Walker and David Eigenberg round out the cast as Chief Wallace Boden and down-on-the-outs firefighter Christopher, respectively.

Now it’s your turn, TVLiners: Hit the poll below to let us know what grade you give Chicago Fire, then back up your pick in the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (69)

• Meh.

Comment by martina – October 10, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was decent – but I don’t think it’ll stick around if their writing doesn’t improve past the clunky exposition phase. The action sections were the best parts. Nice to see Jesse Spencer on TV again.

Comment by Sharona – October 10, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is indeed not Third Watch!!

Comment by Shaun – October 10, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i liked it… it’s nothing new but i liked it. here’s hoping it makes it through the season.

Comment by Donna – October 10, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to hear thoughts from Third Watch fans. How does it compare?

Comment by Sally – October 10, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked that it was totally focused on the firefighters and paramedics. I felt that Third Watch always focused too much on the police officers, especially towards the middle to end of its run. It really focuses on the family/brotherhood aspect of the firefighters/paramedics.
      At first, I thought it was totally just a redo of Third Watch, but I changed my opinion as it went on.

Comment by Sara – October 10, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved TW. I loved the cops, fire fighters and the paramedics. They wove them all together seamlessly. My fav. characters were Boscoe (where did Jason Wiles end up? Has he been in any new shows recently besides persons of interest or whatever that crappy show was called?)
      and Faith. Miss seeing her around as well.

As for the best show about firefighters, that would have to be Rescue Me. Miss it so much and loved Dennis Leary’s dry wit/humor. Just didn’t like how the show kept focusing on he and his family members alcoholism.

I haven’t even watched the show this post is about (forgot the name of it already) as I can tell by previews and comments that it’s going to get cancelled fast and/or be on the bubble which is so annoying. Won’t invest in watching it until it hits three successful seasons.

In fact, I think I’m going to go buy Third Watch on DVD and start that all over again. Great show. I miss Jason Wiles.

Comment by Ali – October 10, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I miss Jason Wiles too. The most recent work of his that I saw were his guest appearances on CSI:NY and SVU. Wish he did more. They really need to release past season 2 on DVD. :(

Comment by Sally – October 11, 2012 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Isn’t this sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy? “I’m not going to watch because it’s going to get cancelled because no one’s watching.”

Comment by Katherine215 – October 11, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL, my thoughts exactly. Sheesh.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 11, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, you must not watch much tv then, considering that most new shows don’t make it past one season.

Comment by Les – October 12, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is going to be a good show, but nothing compares to Third Watch.

Comment by Susan – October 11, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’ll wait for the ratings before I start watching it.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 10, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ratings doesn’t determine a show’s quality…

Comment by Esaul – October 11, 2012 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It is true that ratings do not necessarily reflect a show’s quality — but they do have an impact on whether a show will be around long enough to make it worth watching.

Comment by chatulim – October 11, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Eh. There a lot of shows out there that don’t have the viewers but have excellent quality. Never know what you’re missing if you’re not giving it a shot because of the ratings. Yeah sure sometimes that argument holds true, but there can be nice hidden gems out there.

Comment by Esaul – October 11, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • no, but they do determine whether a show is going to stay on the air and whether you should take the risk of getting attached to something that might be gone tomorrow :)

Comment by Jane – October 11, 2012 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m feeling the same way.

Comment by Greg – October 11, 2012 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Patricia – October 10, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse Spencer’s accent physically hurts me.

Comment by Penny – October 10, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes it was sooooo bad…

Comment by Beth – October 10, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God, it is an abomination. Imagine if he tried to do a Chic-AAAH-go accent…

Comment by nhf7170 – November 12, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it. I will definitely be tuning into it again. It seems like a simple show. I like to have a couple of shows that I don’t have to analyze and decode (examples: Revenge, Last Resort, Revolution, Doctor Who. I love those ones, but part of the fun in them is trying to figure out where they are going to go), so this will be a nice addition to my list of shows to watch.

Comment by Sara – October 10, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was great! Jesse Spencer was definitely a stand out but I thought the entire cast did a good job. I particularly liked David Eigenberg’s character. The previews looked pretty interesting so I’m looking forward to seeing more.

Comment by Cam – October 10, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to love it but it was just all right, it has potential I guess, I just hope the two leads dont hold that stupid grudge all season ( if there is one) now Taylor Kinney and Jesse Spencer have got to be the hottest fireman lol too bad in real life fireman look nothing like that. I’m glad Mason Lockwood is back on my Tv.

Comment by Patricia – October 10, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show should be sued for blatant plagiarism.

Comment by YowzaPowza – October 10, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Chicago Fire earlier and was pleasantly surprised. I’m not sure if it’s necessarily appointment TV but will keep watching On Demand.

Comment by Jared – October 10, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eamonn Walker is an INCREDIBLY talented actor, but he is criminally underused in this show. It’s kind of insulting. Probably not going to watch.

Comment by Adam – October 10, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I turned it off halfway threw. It reminded me of Third Watch which I know my parents liked so I recommended the show to them. But for me, just another dull show.

Comment by Mark – October 10, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thought i would hate it & then ended up thoroughly enjoying it. some stuff was cheesy but the UFC CPD/CFD was on point (coming from Chicago myself). Will definitely be adding to the dvr!

Comment by Katie – October 10, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a fireman’s daughter, I thought it was fairly accurate in portraying the brotherhood (aside from breaking a few grooming rules – Taylor Kinney’s scruff would potentially stop a mask from correctly sealing on a fireman). I’m excited to tune back in myself.

Comment by Amanda – October 10, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy FS was that godawful. Writing was terrible (hackneyed, formulaic) and it lacked any credibility. Cheesy turd. Caught only 5 minutes mid-show. Will not waste another 5 on that bomb.

Comment by Drew – October 10, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it and will be coming back for more. Hot guys aside I saw a behind the scenes feature on youtube and they show how they worked with the cfd to prepare for the show and I like knowing they didn’t jump in blind and also a lot of these stories they will be telling are true from things the real firefighters have told them. It has a lot of potential if given a shot and it stops being compared to other shows.

Comment by Isabelle – October 10, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved chicago fire. Great start getting to “know” the crews. Cant wait till next week!

Comment by Angi Bromlie – October 10, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Chicago Code!!!!

Comment by Daren – October 10, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally! I loved that show. Awesome theme song too! Not sure about Chicago Fire yet, but I didn’t love Chicago Code right away, so I’m hoping to warm up here. Fingers crossed that the writers don’t just recycle the drug abuse/relationship woes themes from Rescue Me, and they’d better use Eamonn Walker more, because his acting was the only spot-on delivery; although Jesse wasn’t bad, his occational accent issues aside (clearly, he missed Hugh Laurie’s 8 year master class and didn’t quite pick up his ex-gf’s Chicago accent either, though he did only have a week or so to prep, I think, so maybe that’s too harsh!). The acting was otherwise average, but pilots are always a bit hard to grade, I think, with a bunch of people thrown together, given a script, and told to act before some have to then fly back to their current day jobs. I’ll give it another chance.

Comment by ej – October 11, 2012 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God, I loved that show. I’m still mad at Fox for cancelling it.

I enjoyed Chicago Fire. It’s not the best show I’ve ever seen, but I liked what I saw. And anytime I get to see my city on a TV show is alright with me!

Comment by Katherine215 – October 11, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bleck, total snoozeville. Chicago Code bored me to death. Sorry.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 11, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone know who sang Blood Brothers at the end of show?

Comment by Angi Bromlie – October 10, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC did a show a few seasons ago called Trauma, only last 18 episodes (ironically Taylor Kinney was on that show too!) that was way similar to this one. i liked Trauma’s pilot better, but the show lost it’s footing over the season. any excuse to have taylor kinney & jesse spencer back on my TV is a good thing, fingers crossed for this one!!

Comment by Margaret – October 10, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! I felt like this show had a Trauma feel to it too. I won’t be watching this live since ill have my hands full with American Horror Story, but I’ll try to keep up OnDemand. Needless to say I wasn’t too impressed with this pilot. Was hoping for more of a Rescue Me vibe

Comment by Ram510 – October 11, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was decent. Not the greatest pilot ever however it was good enough for me to want to see the next episode. I quite enjoy David Eigenberg and love whenever he’s on my TV. I obviously love Jesse Spencer, however, I sure missed his accent. I’ve seen him in numerous things and have never heard him without it so it was very odd. And well, I also love Taylor Kinney. I also love Laura German so it was great to see her back on TV after her stint on Hawaii Five-0.

Comment by Sara – October 10, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whoops, Lauren**

Comment by Sara – October 10, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bruce springsteen

Comment by ron – October 10, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire was great! Jesse Spencer is definitely the best actor out of the bunch. I will for sure watch it again next week ;)

Comment by Sam – October 11, 2012 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I REALLY LIKED THE SHOW……GUESS THE PEOPLE WHO DIDN’T WANT VIOLENCE, SEX ETC.. NOT A STORY OF EVERYDAY PEOPLE…..THE ACTING IS REALLY BELIEVABLE .GIVE IT A CHANCE PEOPLE..!!!!!

Comment by BARBARA BROWN – October 20, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welcome back on my TV Jesse Spencer! WOOHOO!

Comment by Laurie – October 11, 2012 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was lowest common denominator garbage better suited for CBS.

Comment by Jo – October 11, 2012 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wondering why jesse can’t have his normal voice. Love him and would watch him on any show since no more house. Hopefully this doesn’t get canned.

Comment by tiffanie – October 11, 2012 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree with you. Jesse was fantastic and my main reason for watching. Soooo glad he is back. His accent is sexy so with or without it I will be watching. People need to give it a chance. When House first started people were skeptical but look where that ended up. Good show.

Comment by Judy – October 12, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire was awesome! Jesse Spencer was fantastic! He is for sure the biggest acting talent on the show. I can’t wait to watch how the characters and storylines will evolve ;)

Comment by Marla K. – October 11, 2012 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am watching it for Jesse Spencer but so far I still see “Dr. Robert Chase”… I hope he will be good enough to make me forget about his last role.

I wasnt impressed by the show, too much like Trauma (was strange to see Taylor Kinney in another show like Trauma) and Third watch but I will give it a chance.

Comment by ChocolatFrog – October 11, 2012 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sadly Chicago Fire was doomed before it ever aired. To many bad reviews which unfortunately sway public opinion to the point where they don’t bother to watch and see for themselves. I like to form my own opinion and enjoyed the pilot and will watch again next week.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 11, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ve never watched any shows like Chicago Fire before. i LOVED it.

Comment by Elyse – October 11, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE it and will continue to watch. I am a bit disappointed in the ‘real’ firefighters who are complaining that this wasn’t right and that wasn’t right. What cop, lawyer, doctor, etc. show is ‘right’. I admire and respect the firefighters, I just don’t want them to cause the demise of CHICAGO FIRE. Really enjoyed seeing Jesse Spencer again. Loved him on [H]OUSE.

Comment by Gigi – October 11, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw Chicago Fire and I loved it! Great cast – specially Jesse Spencer was fantastic- all in all it was a great introduction to the show.

Comment by Jane – October 11, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit – I’ve already seen episodes 2 & 3 and the show gets better by leaps and bounds, and still keeps it’s “eye candy” hint hint nudge nudge attitude. The pilot was plodding and was one of those “here’s the players and the sub plots” by the numbers deals. But yeah, it gets alot better sooner than later, but still nowhere near as good as Nashville was…

Comment by sladewilson – October 11, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope.

Comment by John – October 11, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it. The pilot is always to introduce characters and stories. The previews look great and I too looooove Jesse Spencer so I think it’s a keeper for sure.

Comment by Beth – October 11, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t compare to Rescue Me

Comment by Monique – October 11, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It isn’t meant to be compared. It’s a “new” show with it’s own stories.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 11, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll give it a few more episodes. It wasn’t bad, but I thought it would be better.

Comment by James R. – October 11, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the entire L&O franchise so I really wanted this to be good. But it was just boring to me. It was very predictable, very bland. I wanted to like it, but I didn’t. And yeah, Jesse Spencer’s American accent needs a LOT of work.

Comment by Zoe – October 11, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Plot wise, I thought it was really good. It truly showed the camaraderie between these men and women. On the side of technical issues, I think it could be vastly improved. There were several errors even in the first couple of scenes that made me cringe. I’ll probably end up catching this show

Comment by Julia – October 11, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On demand. Hopefully the producers will listen to the fans and correct some of the technical errors.

*my darn phone hit submit before I was done posting

Comment by Julia – October 11, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really looking forward to this show, found it to be only so/so. It’s def. going to remain as an On Demand show, I don’t have the room to record it and it wasn’t good enough to make me bump anything from the DVR schedule.

Comment by Rain – October 12, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Altogether, I liked it, despite some rather clichéd storylines… But, I’m sorry, I have to nitpick: Why did both paramedics have to be female? Wouldn’t it have been nice if they had switched it up a bit and had shown a woman trying to stand her ground surrounded by men? (Granted, they could still do it later, if the show sticks around… but it bothered me a bit).
    What I found more worrysome, however, is how the two girls ran around with their hair loose and floating while being around wounded people and fire. It’s probably minor, but a I would expect a (otherwise seemingly) well-researched show to get those details right… No paramedic, doctor, nurse or health professional I know would ever do that.

Comment by Lea – October 12, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started watching for Jesse Spencer but switched off halfway through. Very boring.

Comment by Ella – October 17, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have actually tried to watch it several times, but find it so BORING! There are no interesting characters, the characters are unrealistic, and I can’t relate to any of them. I’d rather watch reruns of… ANYTHING! It is slowwww…….

Comment by Deb – October 27, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post