Once Upon a Time Photos: Belle Explores the Non-Provincial Life... and Then Gets [Spoilered]!

Once Upon a Time‘s beautiful Belle is going to get to know Storybrooke better — though she may come to regret doing so.

RELATED | Video Q&A: Once Upon a Time’s Jennifer Morrison Previews Emma’s Fairytale Nightmare

In a fresh series of photos from the Oct. 21 episode titled “The Crocodile,” Rumpelstiltskin’s honey (played by Emilie de Ravin) is seen flitting about the Maine burg, appreciating its quaint charms (and 95-cent car washes?!). As series cocreator Eddy Kitis said in TVLine’s fall preview, since Belle had been stashed away in the hospital for 28 years, Storybrooke “will probably be a strange land to her. She’s never seen a telephone before, she’s certainly never seen a television.” (Cue: Gasp!)

Alas, Belle’s stroll takes a dark turn when a knit-capped grunt drags her away. What’s behind the kidnapping? The episode’s logline surely contains a clue: “[A] reunion with an old acquaintance could prove to be Belle’s undoing. Meanwhile, in the fairytale land that was, Rumpelstiltskin attempts to save his wife, Milah, from being kidnapped by a band of cutthroat pirates.”

Indeed, the “Crocodile” flashbacks feature new series regular Colin O’Donoghue as Captain Hook. And as played by Christopher Gauthier (Smallville, Eureka), the fella grabbing Belle sports a floppy red cap that matches the one typically worn by Captain Hook’s cohort Smee.

Will a search party seemingly comprised of Rumple, Charming and Red (is that an item of Belle’s clothing she’s getting a scent off of?) be able to rescue the pinched princess?

1. Flower says:

Awesome! I love that Belle and Rumpel are part of the Hook storyline. Belle looks amazing. Mr. Gold looks great too.

2. KatherineXOXO says:

Aww, Belle’s costumes are so cute this season. I just want to steal her wardrobe! Lol! Can’t wait to see more of her.

3. Prince says:

Cool. I love Belle. Glad to see her getting more screentime.

4. Pretty says:

Belle looks fantastic. Can’t wait to see this episode. Belle and Rumpel are my favz.

5. Erica says:

I love Belle and I’m a big fan of Emilie. That girl rocks.

6. Elle says:

MY BABY BELLE IS BACK. YAY!
    Stop being so cute, Emilie. :D :D :D

7. Nemo says:

Can’t wait to see this episode. Is my new season premiere. LOL ( Honestly, next episode doesn’t inspire me )
    Really, I’m not on the Rumbelle ship but I love Belle soooo much. Look at her face, is so adorable when try to spying in the library. Looks like a little, curious baby girl !!
    We don’t know anything about her, her development in FTL, her relationship pre-curse … I think we have to wait before so drastic judgments. :)

Maybe she’s a bit obscured by the great expertise of robert, but she’s young and is on track to learn. My opinion, guys. Be gentle. :P

8. Stone says:

I’m just gonna say that I support Rumbelle head on and Emilie fits Bell perfectly in my eyes and no one else would look good next to Rumple/Gold besides her. To me their story does go along with Disney Beauty and the Beast but the real fairy tales are darker and to make relationships work and become strong, both parties need to be willing to work and fight for it. Belle getting kidnapped looks like they are starting to walk down that path since Gold looks like he is frantic to find her cause he is going so far as to enlist help from others. I’m not hatting on anyone. Everyone has a right to voice opionions and that is all i’m doing here. Rumbelle is my OTP and as stated on the tumblr by another fellow dearie…I will go down with this ship.

9. Car says:

God, this girl is stunning. She’s such a beauty. I can’t wait to see this episode. I wanna see Gold worried as never. Love Belle/Rumbelle, best part od the show <3

10. TootlesFTW says:

I love Beauty & the Beast, and love the twist that OUaT cast upon it. For people complaining that the characters aren’t exact reflections of their Disney/fairytale origins…what is so interesting about a rehashed story?! I adore B&tB’s Prince Adam – but I adore Rumpel, too, and think the role suits him.

As far as Emilie/Belle is concerned – I think she’s beautiful & very sweet. Skin Deep showed she is more than a match for him, and I’m super exicted to see her expand upon that in ‘The Crocodile’. Episode 3 will be a chore to sit through with how exicted I am for episode 4!!

11. Eternity says:

I started watching ONCE because I love Fairy Tales. But I stayed because of Rumbelle. That episode was a true revelation to me. I fell deeply in love with this portrayal of Beauty and The Beast. And that was because the extraordinary performance of Robert Carlyle and Emilie de Ravin.

Even if she’s been in the series for such a little time, she shines! And I can truly say that this beautiful, amazing lady is my favorite character of the show. She’s awesome in every sense of the word! And I truly hope we get to see more of her and they decide to develop her character because I really adore her!

12. Izzy says:

Emilie is a great actress. I am looking forward to this episode with her and Gold together again. They both are a really awesome pair. Rumplestiltskin is my favorite character and their relationship is fun to watch.

Robert Carlyle is brilliant with his role and Emilie does justice to the Belle we all know and love. Can’t wait to see more! I’m not going to get tired of those two. Definitely will be tuning in for this one! ……not that I don’t tune in every Sunday night =)

Belle and Rumplestiltskin <3

13. Appie says:

I love Belle/Emily, n cant wait to see how the relationship with Rum/Robert plays out. But, for everyone saying they “hate” her or the character, come on – its only the 2nd episode people. I doubt seriously we’ve seen even the tip of the character she can be. Once has a great cast of strong female characters, so i cant wait to see how Belle develops.

14. Patti says:

Thanks so much for the scoop and pictures. I am glad to see more Belle. She is a great character with lots of potential. I adore Emilie de Ravin in the role. I hope to see Belle and Red become friends too.

15. Emilie de Ravine’s “Belle”, and the chemistry between she and Robert Carlyle are the reasons I finally began to enjoy this show. They’re both so great together on screen, and I can’t wait to see what TPTB will do with the character of Belle this season. I’m really hoping for a Belle and Red friendship!!

16. Patti says:

I read somewhere that if a character or actor is not mentioned. Fans have no reaction to them it’s bad news but passion either way is a great thing. So this big discussion is awesome to me cause Belle is awesome and much talk is awesome for the character

17. Jess C. says:

If I had to give just ONE reason to watch this show, my one reason would be the chemistry between Emilie de Ravin and Robert Carlyle. They are incredible actors and together they create magic. They have been a proper couple for 30 minutes in 24 episodes so far. And they are amazing as it is. I can’t wait to see more of them for they have the full potential to be the most beloved and amazing couple of this show. Plus Emilie de Ravin is a gorgeous, beautiful woman who knows how to inspire deep emotion to us. I love her! She’s the perfect Belle! :)

• Absolutely agree! The other characters are great, but I find myself mainly watching for Robert and Emilie and their characters. They both are so perfect, it’s mind boggling. Love watching them together, even if it only has been for 30 minutes. That just goes to show how much chemistry they have for reeling us in so quick :)

18. Wow I had no idea people were so passionate about Belle (for or against). I really enjoyed her in skin deep and couldn’t wait for her to come back. Since she came back in Land Without Magic, something has been off to me. I also find her boring. I don’t blame Emilie for that though. I don’t think they gave her enough spark in the scenes she has been in. I’m not writing off the character yet. I just hope that the Belle in Skin Deep returns.

19. Kelly says:

Awesome pictures and preview. I am looking forward to this episode. Emilie de Ravin is a phenomenal actress.I loved her on Lost and she is perfect as Belle. I can not wait for more Belle with Rumple and also as a character on her own.

20. I’m so excited for this episode! It’s honestly become my new premiere. Hook looks so mega sexy and I am never one to complain about more Rumbelle. Cannot wait for this! And these photos are adorable, Emilie must be the only girl on earth who can be sniffing a wall and still look adorable XD love Belle, love Rum, already love Hook! This episode is going to be perfection XD XD XD

21. Kelly says:

I can not wait for more Belle/Emilie. I adore the character with and without Rumpel. I hope she interacts again with Grumpy and Jefferson.

22. Patti says:

Belle is definitely one of the most interesting characters. This is the most posts I’ve seen on Once Upon a Time article.

23. Why all the hate?! Emilie is beautiful, and a PERFECT Belle. Her accent is real and Australian, and as an Aussie I’m proud of that. She’s so pretty and I missed her in season 1 – not to mention I LOVE Rumbelle! She’s stronger, this version of Belle, and I like how she’s portrayed. Looking forward to this ep! :)

24. Lisa says:

Words can not describe how much I love this girl. She is just perfect. And beautiful. Thank you very muchfor making her a regular! Seriously she is my fav. And Rumbelle is adorable

25. Claire says:

So much love to Belle <3 Please the two haters who are always complaining about her because she is gonna be more important than a lot of other caracters, stop :)
    Belle is the best. I wanna be her!

26. John says:

I for one love Emilie de Ravin as Belle and Belle is a character with lots of possibilities. I hope we see more of her.

Hey Michael and Matt, how are you liking Emilie de Ravin and Belle?

27. Taylor says:

I’m not going to read all these comments, and I saw a lot of hate from the ones I did read. But in my opinion, she is a beautiful girl and a wonderful choice for Belle. I think that Rumpelstiltskin/Belle is a beautiful, tragic, lovely, unique romance, and not many other shows or stories, even when the romance is the focus, capture a love this wonderful and inspiring.

28. Morgan says:

So excited for this episode! Once Upon a Time would not be the same without Belle and Rumple. Emilie and Robert Carlyle are just the perfect cast for these two characters. Their relationship is like no other on the show.

They have such great chemistry together. Emilie is an outstanding actress and she portrays Belle so beautifully. Belle is such a kindhearted, brave, and genuine individual in the show. She has, unfortunately, suffered much (in regards to her freedom). Still through it all she remains a gentle soul because she forgives the wrongdoings of others (like Regina’s for instance).

I love her! I’m super ecstatic that Emilie is a regular now and we’ll be seeing more of Belle on the show. I can’t wait to see her develop friendships with others now that she is free, see more of her and Rumple, and also see her in the library.

She yearns for adventure and a normal life with her true love-Rumple. She deserves her happy ending after all she’s been through. I’m so anxious about having to wait 10 days for this episode to air.

29. Sandy says:

I love all of Belle’s wardrobe (minus the asylum garb of course). Emilie always looks so cute and she always makes Belle so lovely. I am looking forward to seeing more Belle, Gold, and Rumbelle this episode ^_^.

30. Audrey says:

This is great news. Belle is one of my favorites on the show. This episode looks like it’s going to be amazing. Emilie is drop dead gorgeous and I love her. She did some great acting with just her facial expressions for the episode “Broken.” Belle is awesome so I am so ready to see tons of her on the upcoming episodes.

31. Personally I find Snow and Charming the more boring characters on the show. Love Rumpelstiltskin and curious where they’re going with the Belle angle.

32. Lily says:

Rumbelle is by far my favorite couple!! Cant get enough of them. Emilie is amazing and Robert Carlyle is simply extraordinary…. Just Love them together!!!

33. TKH says:

I’m really diggin the Charming/David – Rumpelstiltskin/Gold interactions. One of the the things I greatly enjoy about this show is how the writers weave relationships together like different melodies; they echo each other and create interesting counterharmonies. For example, I’ve been hoping since the last season’s episodes with Charming and Rumpelstiltskin’s conversation that eventually David and Gold would work together. David is so easy to get along with, I think many fans miss out on his greatest strength: compassion. He’s very willing to help anyone in need, including Gold and Regina – something almost no other characters will do. Bless his dumb heart, he may have a one-track mind, but he’s the most compassionate character on the show. Think about his episodes and you’ll see that trait jump out of every one of them. He’s almost always doing something (usually life-threatening) for someone else, almost never complaining.

I very much enjoy that Rumpelstiltskin is not a cardboard villain, as I suspect some would like him to be (judging by some of the comments). He has a lot of depth which I am entirely grateful for as a viewer. It’s such a nice respite from the regular fodder of American tv dramas. His relationship with Belle was the only reason I started watching the show (which I had completely dismissed up to that point, mainly because of Emma’s character). I was so surprised that the writers would really go there with this show that I knew I was missing something that had the potential to be truly good. That choice disgusted some people, and I’m glad because it wouldn’t have been a brave choice if it had made everyone happy.

All that said, I’m really not all that excited about Hook. I could take him or leave him at this point, and I am a bit surprised that he’ll be a regular. I have nothing against the actor; maybe it’s just that I have a soft spot for the original Barrie character. It’s not that I don’t want to see a new interpretation of the character, but I’d like it to be better or more original than the Hook we’ve seen so far. I’m sure that his character will continue to develop, but I’ve never been a fan of the handsome, cynical bully. It’s the underdogs (cynical or otherwise) and the truly kind (brave) people that I find myself cheering for (yes, I’ll include Regina in that category).