Fox Picks Up The Mindy Project For Full Season - Plus: Good News For Ben and Kate

The Mindy Project Full SeasonFox is going all the way with The Mindy Projectpicking up the freshman comedy for a full 22-episode season.

Additionally, the network has ordered six additional episodes of fellow rookie Ben and Kate, bringing that sitcom’s Season 1 haul to 19.

Both shows have been modest ratings performers, but Fox Chairman Kevin Reilly said in a statement that they possess “everything we want to stand for in comedy: smart writing, hugely appealing casts and comedy that feels contemporary and real, which is why we’re confident they will continue to build on what is already an appointment comedy night for young, influential audiences on Tuesdays.”

Thoughts? Which pick-up are you most excited about? Weigh in below!

1. Babybop says:

Haven’t watched Ben and Kate, but I really like The Mindy Project. Yay!

2. wrstlgirl says:

I’m sensing the end is near for The Mob Doctor. It is improving week to week but no one cares.

• Karrie says:

I love the Mob Doctor as a good replacement for House!

• wrstlgirl says:

I never watched House but Mob Doctor really isn’t as bad as a lot of folks say. Problem is from what I have read is that a lot of people came into it comparing it with House and that’s shame. With the twist that was revealed last week MD is improving every week.

• Elyse says:

i didn’t compare it to House at all… because i didn’t really watch House much when it was on. but i couldn’t get into Mob Doctor because it was just AWFUL… in my opinion. not worth the DVR space.

• Brad says:

No the problem is that if the sponsors don’t see enough ratings numbers they don’t give a rat’s rear end how good a show is, and the network will cancel it. The days of slow growth like Cheers and Scrubs saw are long gone. You either nail it now, or it gets nailed.

3. Ava says:

I can’t believe how good Fox’s comedy block is. One of the best lineups in a long time. Hopefully the Mindy Project and Ben & Kate will continue to be great!

4. Leggo says:

FOX is jumping the gun a bit…

5. Daniel says:

I’ve tried to like The Mindy Project but it’s been terrible so far. Feels like an amateur team slapped together a show with no regard to setting, believability, or appealing characters. I don’t buy for a second that Mindy is a doctor or that her coworkers actually run a hospital.

• Boothgirl says:

I wanted to like it and I’m going to keep watching to see if I can see what other people thing, but otherwise I totally agree, it’s just dumb.

• Scott says:

I also have never seen Mindy before, and I never want to see her again either. I found the show to be extremely amateurish, the lead had no charisma, one facial expression and vocal tone, and if the show is funny then apparently I haven’t been let in on the joke. The whole show came across as dull and stupid to me, and not particularly original.

Ben and Kate was okay. At least I could laugh at it and the two leads are watchable.

• Brad says:

You’re Americans. Of course you wouldn’t like something this clever. If it isn’t full of “nuck-nuck” or fart jokes you think it’s boring.

• meggo says:

I agree. I just don’t buy her as a doctor. No GYN acts that “teenage girlish”. I love Mindy, but I think the show needs to show more of the doctor side. JMHO!

• Esaul says:

I just don’t see what’s so good about the show. It’s boring. And Mindy doesn’t even make the show funny. I like her in small doses.

6. TV Gord says:

I am really happy to hear this for The Mindy Project! It’s such a clever show and it’s the kind of show that benefits from watching again, because every line is just great. It’s the kind of show you have to pay attention to to get the full enjoyment of it, so I was worried that wouldn’t go over too well in this increasingly dumbed-down world.

I’ve never see her before (other than her appearances on Craig Ferguson), so maybe she just seems more refreshing to me for that reason, but I’m really happy to know her show isn’t in trouble.

7. Alex says:

Ouch, Fox must really be hurting if it ordered more of Ben & Kate…
    Really enjoying The Mindy Project so far though, and glad to see it’s getting a full season.

8. BJohnson says:

Meh on The Mindy Project. I watched the preview and wasn’t into it, but hey that’s just my opinion. I do find Ben & Kate cute enough, I agree with another post that said they hope it stays that endearing. Congrats to both for getting a full season though.

9. rowan77 says:

The pilot of Ben and Kate turned me off. I just found it so forced and unfunny. I just wonder how bad Abby Elliot must have been to be replaced by the bland Dakota Johnson. The Mindy Project is growing on me, though. It was nice to see Seth Meyers in something other than weekend update last week. The second episode as an improvement on the first – which also seemed a bit forced, but the characters were funny.

10. Dean says:

In what world would getting a 1.9 (TMP) and 1.6 (B&K) demo rating in the second episode scream full-season order!! Is this the same old trigger happy FOX! What happened!!
    Realistically speaking, all their freshman shows need to be cancelled if you look at the ratings. But The Mindy Project pickup is great news. Its a refreshing change from the other comedies. Ben and Kate is rather generic.

11. kirads09 says:

Hmmm. So Fox moves Touch back to midseason (which doesn’t bode well)
    And last season they cancel promising shows like Terra Nova and Alcatraz.
    In favor of shows like this? No thanks. I will watch the remaining Fringe episodes and Touch (if it survives). Fox has otherwise lost this viewer.

• Lucifer says:

Unless you’re 9, cancelling Terra Nova was the best thing that happened last season! Alcatraz should have just been set in the 60’s instead of flashing between past and present. In the modern day world, the characters were really boring.

• meggo says:

I agree with you except with Alcatraz. I am so upset with Fox about Terra Nova. ugh.

• Esaul says:

Terra Nova had modest ratings. But the show was crazy expensive. They expected the show to do much much better than what it did. I don’t blame them for cancelling it.

• Christine says:

Yes, it was. They spent too much money on the visuals and not enough on good writing and actors. Every line was bland and unrealistic situation conversations. I really liked the idea of the show, but they focused on the wrong thing. Plus they could have stretched the first two episodes out into a half season!

12. Keyko says:

I’m so excited to see what these hilarious shows have to offer. Ben & Kate has the family comedy aspect & The Mindy Project has the young adult going through comedic bumps in the road.

13. dee says:

If I were Fox I’d give those additional episodes to Fringe instead of Ben and Kate but that’s just me.

• wrstlgirl says:

Judging by Fringe ratings that would not be a good idea. It’s cancelled and FOX was generous to give it a final 13 episode season to wrap things up for the fans.

• Gary says:

Being a true Fringe fan, I can honestly say that FOX has been generous to give even a season 4 with those ratings. That’s 35 more episodes than we expected. So kudos to FOX.

14. murley says:

really glad to see ben and kate get an additional episode order. i have been loving it so far.

15. mia says:

I’ve been really enjoying The Mindy Project; its still finding its rhythm, but I’m glad it has the season to work itself out.
    Cannot say the same for Ben and Kate; couldn’t even watch a whole episode. But I’m pleased for the people who do like it.

16. nick1372 says:

I like Ben & Kate but am a little scared for it. Last year, the shows that got extra episodes and not a full season were Pan Am and A Gifted Man. Remember what happened to those?

• ben says:

And, well, Parenthood? And I’m sure there were a couple of others I can’t think of off the top of my head too.

6 more episodes takes it to 19. It’s not 22, but for many shows, thats what a full season is. There are shows that make 5+ seasons with several seasons well below 19. I wouldn’t be too worried about episode numbers. Lets see how the ratings pan out over time.

• nick1372 says:

Parenthood is not a freshman show. The episode count doesn’t really matter at its age.
        Freshman shows need full 22-episode season pickups because that shows that the networks have faith that they could get four seasons and the 88 episodes needed for off-network syndication. If they don’t they’re likely dead.

17. Nic says:

I like Ben and Kate. The Mindy Project is just meh. Loved her on the Office but the premise of the show is not my favorite.

18. Rachel says:

I really love Mindy Kaling, and whoever Danny is on TMP is my new crush this season. I’m really glad it got picked up!! The reviews seem so mixed, I was nervous for it. I’m liking it more than The New Girl right now…blasphemy?

19. joe says:

Mindy Project is not funny

20. Tee says:

They both seem decent, pretty cute so far. But if this is among the best Fall 2012 has to offer, it’s a weak year.

21. Miffy says:

I don’t like Ben’s teeth on Ben & Kate. Its difficult to watch him with all those snaggleteeth. This is America, not the UK. He should try out for a sitcom on the BBC instead.

• Emma says:

OUCH! That hurt. We have lovely teeth in the UK. Well…,most of us do!

I’m sure Ben’s teeth will be fixed by season 2.

22. Jenn says:

The Mindy Project seems to be a hit or miss with most viewers. I personally love it. I think it might be too much of a romantic comedy for the wider audience. Ben and Kate is okay, I could certainly live without it as of now but I hope it gets better. With Community likely ending as well as the end of 30 Rock, I’d much rather have the Mindy Project around.

23. Jeanrie says:

my two fave new shows this season. longtime mindy fan, but ben and kate is real surprise. love that show! awesome cast, writing, chemistry…

24. Leigh says:

To my surprise, I really loved the first 2 eps of Ben & Kate. I’m glad the show is getting a future.

25. Charlotte says:

Yay for the Mindy Project! I absolutely loved the show and will definitely be tuning in! I am so impressed by Mindy and the cast.

26. P says:

Happy to hear Ben & Kate getting more episode orders! That show has turned out to be a very pleasant suprise. It’s cute and funny. I keep trying to watch the Mindy Project but it’s not really hooking me. Though I do like that male docter’s accent.

27. Diz says:

I like Ben & Kate, but I haven’t found anything funny or likeable about Mindy.

28. Sal says:

I love The Mindy Project!!!! So glad they’re picking it up for the full season!

29. Gary says:

Lets see, what do I watch on FOX – Fringe, New Girl, The Mindy Project and Touch. Fringe will end, Touch and Mindy will probably be cancelled after this season. So, there’s no reason to watch FOX anymore other than for New Girl and The Following (which premieres mid-season).

30. Rodger says:

I can’t get past Ben’s Bad teeth. Why didn’t the producers send him to a dentist before taping began?

31. Clairee CG says:

The Mindy Project is one of my new favorite shows :) Super funny! Mindy Kaling is beautiful!

• Mindy in the projects says:

Are you kidding? She looks like a man and thinks she’s hot, the girl is such a disgusting ego maniac

32. Csimes says:

Love love the mindy project

33. sassy says:

Once Fringe ends I’m through with Fox forever. All their new shows are awful.

34. Mindy in the projects says:

The mindy project is so painfully unfunny, seems like a bunch of idiot writers who aren’t funny but thin they are wrote this crap. Please cancel this crap.

35. Vernice mccurley says: