Fall Preview: 90210 Boss on Season 5's Exits, Possible Wedding Bells for Naomi and More!

90210 Season 5 Preview If you were hoping 90210 actors Gillian Zinser and Justin Deeley would be given lofty sendoffs at the start of the CW soap’s fifth season tonight (8/7c), prepare to be disappointed in 3, 2…

“We will see Austin in the premiere, but there’s not a big farewell,” co-showrunner Patti Carr tells TVLine of one-half of the departing duo. “Just because a character moves on for a bit doesn’t mean we expect to never see them again. It’s not so much a goodbye to Austin as it is that he’s just not in ongoing episodes based on where the storylines launch in the premiere, the events of which really effect everybody’s lives as they move in different directions.”

RELATED | Exclusive: 90210 Gets Rocked by Tegan and Sara

Meanwhile, Zinser doesn’t even appear in the opener, though Carr says she could potentially return at some point. “Gillian had some other interests this season, and we wanted to make her available to pursue those,” Carr explains. “But we do have a deal for her to appear on the show, and we’re hoping that the character does come back at some point in the year.”

But enough about who’s leaving Beverly Hills. Let’s find out what’s in store for those characters sticking around…

NAOMI AND MAX | The recently reunited pair are in it to win it this time around. Previews Carr: “We didn’t want to tell the same stories with them, where it was an on-and-off situation. We wanted to really invest and give it a try.” Expect to see the lovers “make some pretty big decisions and move forward in a huge way” — a plot point that the exec producer is particularly excited about it. “It’s fun because we get to see Naomi really grapple with some really mature stuff,” she shares. “With all the things she has been through and the things she’s learned, she’s not going to make the same mistakes again. But she’s going to have some new challenges that are going to be a little bigger than she had to deal with in high school.” Might Max and Naomi make the most of his abandoned wedding and get hitched themselves? “The very first scene of the premiere addresses that issue,” Carr teases, adding with a laugh, “But I don’t think Naomi would ever take a hand-me-down wedding.”

RELATED | 90210 Exclusive: Taio Cruz Joins 100th Episode

SILVER (AND TEDDY?) | “Silver’s storyline about the BRCA gene is continuing to be pretty central this year and is something we feel drives through the entire season,” Carr says, adding, “Obviously, Teddy was asked a big question [to father Silver's baby] in the finale, and he’s going to have to come up with an answer. We do get his answer in the premiere… and they move forward in unexpected ways off of that.” As for exes Navid and Liam, “Silver puts them on the backburner,” Carr reveals, “but the guys don’t necessarily do the same.”

ANNIE | Look for a refreshing new romance for Shenae Grimes’ alter ego opposite recurring player Riley Smith. “He comes in as a product of Dixon’s accident,” the showrunner shares. “He’s pretty acerbic and really butts heads with Annie. But as we know, there’s a thin line between love and hate…. He’s such a fun guy and is so different from the other characters on the show.”

RELATED | 90210 Exclusive: Parks and Rec Alumna Natalie Morales Books Recurring Role

LIAM | She’s baaack! Arielle Kebbel’s likeably creepy Vanessa returned in the Season 4 finale, which “can’t mean anything good,” Carr jokes. “As crazy a villainess as she is, it’s all really out of her genuine feelings for Liam. She just wants to be with him — it’s a little bit of a Fatal Attraction-type thing.” Liam, meanwhile, is “struggling with how to get out of that situation he’s in with Vanessa, so he’ll make some choices — some really big decisions with big repercussions in an effort to get free of that relationship.”

ADRIANNA | Look for perpetually lost Ade to make “some pretty big moves” in the premiere, “especially before she knows about Dixon’s accident,” Carr reveals. (Hint: Guest star Wes Brown is involved… and naked) Unfortunately, said “moves” are going to “come back to haunt her in a pretty big way,” adds the producer. “Ade has got a lot to deal with and it’s going to be something she struggles with for the first half of the season at least.”

Hit the comments with your early thoughts on 90210‘s fifth season!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview, Interviews, Scoop

1. rony says:

I wish that Liam and Annie get back together.

• Elyse says:

agreed!!!

• dude says:

It really blows me away that the producers would ignore so many fans and continue with this Liam/Silver thing that NO ONE likes over one of the most beloved couples on 9O21O (Annie/Liam). Silver and Liam have no chemistry and that storyline just made Silver a really horrible friend/person. Also, I don’t think there’s anything likable about Vanessa.

• lannie says:

yer same 90210 just isn’t the same without them together :(

2. Jared says:

Excited for the premiere tonight. I usually love the storylines between Max and Naomi and feel that this is the couple I’ll be rooting for all season. Ade has always been better when there’s drama and craziness involved. Her storyline last season was pretty boring.

3. Zoe says:

Max and Naomi are garbage I don’t know why this show continue to invest in that. There are so many better couples to invest. Ade was well written last season, I actually tolerated her. Poor Dixon, live baby, I’m rooting for you the most.

4. Ed says:

the 3rd season was “THE” season if you ask me. The show really has gone down hill after that.

• Agreed! There was so many interesting story lines. And now they can’t keep a story for more than 3 episodes before jumping onto something else. I think it’s time to say goodbye to Dixon and Navid – they just put them in some storylines that no one cares about.

• Zoe says:

that was the poorest rated season of the show. S3 was ok but on wikopedia it’s got one of the worst numbers. :)

5. sladewilson says:

I’m hoping Dixon lives but the writing’s on the wall for Ade to just emotionally murder him when he finds out she’s probably preggers with this new guy’s kid…

6. Marie says:

Very excited to read that Naomi and Max seem to be in it for the long-haul this time around.

7. Sandy says:

Never liked Annie and Liam as a couple, Can’t see why they’re so popular.

• Victoria says:

Me neither; they lack chemistry and are boring, but I reckon they are popular because Liam is the show’s heartthrob.

• Goku says:

Liam is the heartthrob and Annie is the girl next door that’s why people loves them. But personally I’ve never understood it either.

8. Paris says:

Just cause Liam is the heartthrob doesn’t mean that’s the only reason Liam and Annie r popular. If that was the case him and Silver would be and they r not. Liam and Annie are the only couple that was actually developed and not rushed. It made sense and the actors have the best chemistry on this show. I won’t watch the show again untill Liam and Annie r back together.

Adrianna got so boring, Liam got a stupid storyline after stupid storyline, Dixon is just zzzzzzzzz and so is Navid and Silver just bed hops. I do like Max and Naomi though

9. qeee says:

I’ve always preferred Liam/Naomi.

10. Tommy says:

I always liked Liam/Naomi the best. i felt like they had the best chemistry but that will probably never be revisited as long as Max is in the picture

11. DarLeNe says:

max is so cute, naomi is so funny. i love em so much, can’t wait!

12. Evan says:

Liam making big decisions with lasting repercussions = copy a storyline idea from L.A. Complex.

13. Ella says:

I wish Liam and Naomi would get back together. The show has really gone downhill since they broke up.

14. Gabi says:

Did I miss something or did the writers actually forget that Adrianna is an alcoholic? Or rather, did they want us to forget? I am somewhat confused, and a bit disappointed if this really was the sloppy writing it appears to be.

• ray says:

they probably forgot, just like how they Conveniently forgot that Naomi was really discouraged- and lost all hope for love- with the whole P.J. engagement thing.

15. Taryn says:

I agree once upon a time I really enjoyed Liam and Naomi I thought they had better chemistry then Liam and Annie. But I do like Naomi with Max and I doubt they would ever revisit Liam and Naomi as a couple.

16. sabrina says:

I simply love naomi. When I first started watching the show I couldn’t stand her, I almost loved to hate her but now she’s one of my favorite characters alongside liam and silver which I really hope is going to work out!! I also love that max is back in naomi’s life. Can’t wait for more.

17. MB says:

Naomi and Max really need to stay together! I love them! They bring out the best in each other and they get into such crazyiness, it’s always fun to watch.

18. k says:

Liam and Annie are diffidently the best for each other…

19. Dw says:

I am not a fan of liam and annie. There boring. I prefer silver and liam maybe im being biased because i love silver. You guys are complaning about silver being a whore get over it its only a show ilove her and liam. I disllike annie.#love silver&liam.

20. Hanna says:

I was a big Liam and Naomi fan! Why did the writers have to ruin them! I still have hope though, it is a tv show after all!

21. Emma says:

I really like Naomi and Max, I just hope they don’t end. Yeah Naomi and Liam were great but the relationship was very young, but with Max it’s more mature. Which is nice to see. Plus Max and Naomi are cute together, I just hope there is more to them in the 15th Episode.

22. Danniella Moulton says:

LIAM AND ANNIE SHOULD BE TOGETHER! Silver and Navid should be together.

23. Destiny says:

I love Naomi and Max,so cute!!