Supernatural Hot Shots: Sam Goes on a Date, Dean's 'Dad' Plays Detective and More!

Still wondering what made Supernatural‘s Sam fall in love with Amelia? We’ve got a sneak peek at Season 8′s third episode — directed by star Jensen Ackles! — which offers a glimpse into their relationship as the hunter and his new girl go on a picnic with their pooch.

RELATED | Supernatural Premiere Recap: It Was Pure Purgatory — Plus, Scoop on What’s Next!

The Oct. 17 installment (The CW, 9/8c) also deals with another type of heart-related issue as Sam and Dean investigate a series of bizarre murders in which all the victims were recipients of organs from the same donor. They’ll get an assist on the case from Ackles’ real life pops, Alan Ackles, as Detective Pike.

Check out the gallery below and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

Comments (34)

• I love the show, huge fan. My only complaint is with Sam’s hair, he needs a hair cut BAD!!!!

Comment by Alicia – October 5, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. His hair gets douchier every season.

Comment by Super supernatural – October 5, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree. It’s about time his hair grew to this length. It looks so fabulous at this length (ノ◕3◕)ノ

Comment by Secret – October 5, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree…….He’s a grown man! Why should he let others decide how HE wants it …..unless a role DEMANDS a particular style……. All the smartass comments on his sideburns…?!? A man his size with a head to match needs them to balance his jaw and shoulders. My husband was 6 foot 9 inches tall and his stylist highly recommended sideburns!!!!!!!!!! Jared is not some little twink! Leave him alone!

Comment by JUDE – October 5, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • i totally agree wit u………and i love his hair…………

Comment by ashwini venkatesh – October 7, 2012 12:32 PM PDT
        • Totally love his hair this length, best it’s looked since season 1 when he looked so cute with a fringe.

Comment by amd – November 28, 2012 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I’m not the only one who thinks he needs a hair cut

Comment by kimmy – October 12, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally yes I am wondering. what made Sam fall in love with Amelia and what made the show’s writers write Sam’s character so superficial. Even the woman’s wardrobe is horrible. So I should believe that Sam Winchester, the man who brought the Apocalypse and later saved the world by fighting with Lucifer himself, didn’t look for his lost brother and hooked up with a hillbilly dressed with flip flops. Seriously? I too want the show to stay on air for 10 years. And I am not afraid to admit it. I understand. Just have the courage to admit it yourselves writers and showrunners.

Comment by Ann – October 5, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • maybe she was sent to romance Sam into stopping him doing his job.

Comment by Shaun – October 5, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thought exactly. Not sure about this girl so not Sam’s type.

Comment by melissa – November 9, 2012 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Finally somebody with common sense! Totally agree with everything you said!

Comment by Josica – October 5, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You think Sam’s not looking for Dean and having a relationship is superficial? Time to look past the prettiness of Sam and remember that his character never wanted to be in the family business. He always wanted a normal life – hence is running away as a kid and going to college to get away from the life of a hunter. It’s only because of the constant support of Dean, Bobby and (until season 7) Cas that he resigned himself to being in the life. With everyone he knew and loved – his whole support system – gone, Sam obviously was lost emotionally. He had no leads, no ideas, nothing to go on – and no help. And you think he’s shallow to stop and take a breath and have a life. Really? You think that’s out of nowhere? Really, now? The fact that he won’t give details about his life yet to Dean shows there is depth to his story and reasons – which we will see evolve throughout the season, but this is already not a big leap personality-wise.

And I’ve never heard of an educated woman (a vet) referred to as a hillbilly because she’s wearing a sundress and sandals while going in a picnic with her boyfriend and dog.

Calm down and just watch the show. Stop picking on things you aren’t even giving any thought to – because if you were, you’d see this makes sense.

Comment by rowan77 – October 5, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • God bless you, Rowan! The voice of reason…… Just once I’d enjoy seeing some TOTAL support and solid appreciation for this awesome 8 year journey the wonderful writers and awesome actors have taken us on! Get so tired of all the bitching, whining, pissing and moaning about characters and story arcs. As if any of us could write a show this fantastic for this long…… ( Scoffs!!)

I was thrilled to see that Jeremy Carver says the new story arc should be able to sustain at least a couple more years of my beloved show !!!!! I intend to enjoy each and every new character and plot line for how it will add to the depth of our show. I think Benny may bring something truly unique to the table. And Castiel ??? Well after he “used” the Purgatory souls the way he did and then tossed them back in when he realized he’d bitten off more than he could chew….I believe he had one hell of a lot more enemies in Purgatory than all of the Winchesters combined!

I personally believe after all of the losses Sam endured, he was entitled to a little “me” time.

I still remember what Dean told Bobby after Sam was killed in Cold Oak…. When Bobby asked him to join the battle to save the world Dean said the world could go to hell and he didn’t want to fight anymore because he’d already given up too many people and enough of his life! I think if Dean felt that way so can Sam!!

LONG LIVE SUPERNATURAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by JUDE – October 5, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol! Awesome. Yes, not liking Amelia. There better be some kind of good surprise coming up.

Comment by AL – October 9, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • her dress is horrible and she is not cute enough for Sam. Shallow, YEAH

Comment by shukar – October 5, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This article got me excited for a moment because I saw the headline and thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan was coming back.

Comment by Clay – October 5, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Lives!

Alphas are everywhere!

Comment by Mila – October 5, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you Mila! I couldn’t remember where the hell she was from!

Comment by Shell – October 5, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Part of me is really hoping that there’s a pair of scissors in that picnic basket and that Amelia has lured him out into the woods to ambush him with a haircut.

Comment by Dreamrose – October 5, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does Jensen Ackles keep getting more attractive each year?

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – October 5, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that’s seriously a fair question. he’s got these ruggedly handsome looks that just get better with age. amazing.

Comment by kate – October 5, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what the weather’s like where Sam’s in a long sleeve shirt and jeans and boots and she’s wearing a sundress and sandals.

That said, I don’t like Amelia as of yet. I mean, we don’t really know her but I’m not encouraged by what I’ve read about her and what we’ve seen so far. But I seriously like that dog a lot. Keep the dog, Sam. I wouldn’t mind if Dean and Sam had the dog riding around with them in the Impala for the next two or three years.

Comment by kate – October 5, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow what a surprise, the supernatural fandom happen to not like a new female character or a love interest for one of “their” boys. really, really surprising

Comment by Ron – October 5, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL!

Comment by rowan77 – October 5, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • actually, smartass, I liked Lisa a lot. Ruby too, before we found out she was evil, but Amelia gave us nothing to love in the first ep.

Comment by kate – October 5, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, Sam needs a haircut. It’s distracting now. And I don’t like the vet. But since Sam is the Kiss of Death to women, I’m sure she’ll be dead soon enough. Looking at the elder Ackles, it’s not hard to see where Jensen’s good looks come from! ;)

Comment by Michelle – October 5, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jensen must be just like his mom. I was wondered how Dean is always cutting himself but seen like he got no simple scar. I was hopping Sam get a little mature but this time, but he is as selfcenter as always. He’s character is so pale next to Dean’s brave. f

Comment by Alrisha – October 5, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was wondering , is Alan Ackles , and Jensen Ackles are related i would really like to know sometimes you be curious about things , the photo gallery looks interesting guys , Sam i know you are tired of people always talking about your hair sometimes things that people say can push us to the breaking point , they can go a little bit to far sometimes but anyway take care and thanks for the email .

Comment by June – October 5, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roger Alan Ackles and Jensen Ross Ackles are father and son.

Comment by Elizabeth Smith – October 5, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love watch supernaural . Sam and dean are good actor sam look good long hair dont cut hair . Dean look gpod stong man same your brother sam . Sam has date vet woman ,she is lookk goog for him , sam need someone help friend when dean gone . Dean have new friend benny . I am happy they are back toghter brothers

Comment by Belinda harris – October 13, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • his hair is just fine… works with his character

Comment by Jason – October 15, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post