Grey's Anatomy Boss Promises 'Sexy, Fun and Romance-y' Comeback For Callie and Arizona

Get More: News, Previews

Callie Arizona Grey's AnatomyListen up, weary ‘Calzona ‘shippers: There’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

Grey’s Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes is promising fans that the dark cloud hanging over Callie and Arizona in the wake of the latter’s life-saving leg amputation will disappear by February.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Jessica Capshaw Breaks Silence on Amputation Storyline

“Callie and Arizona are going to have a fun romance-y, sexy love life again,” the show’s creator wrote in a message posted on her WhoSay page. “And you are going to see it this season. That’s important to me. I stated in the Writers Room that Arizona could not lose a leg unless we were going to see how a person missing a leg could be sexy and fun and romance-y. So get ready for it – Arizona is gonna get her mojo back in a big way. And (spoiler alert!) it’s gonna happen before Valentine’s Day.”

The decision to have Arizona lose her leg stemmed from Rhimes’ desire to show “someone we love… go from being ambulatory to working on being ambulatory,” thus allowing the audience “to understand what it is like to be differently abled.”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Boss Reveals: Why I Killed McSteamy

Rhimes also made a point to praise Jessica Capshaw’s performance in this season’s first two episodes and beyond. “She is out of control fearless,” Rhimes raved. “It’s a pleasure to get to work with someone so game for the story.”

Comments (29)

• I just hope it doesn’t get too dark. This couple has already went to the darkest points and between Arizona’s issues and Mark’s death and raising Sophia, Callie has a crap load on her shoulders! Everyone on this show needs George… but oh that’s right… THEY KILLED HIM TOO!…. This show is knife happy!

Comment by Cory – October 5, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope that they keep callie and arizona together through out the seasons. They make a great couple. Hate to see them apart.

Comment by Christy – December 7, 2012 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously – Arizona makes me gag.

Comment by Joanna – October 5, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they do her justice cause seeing Arizona pissed at both Callie and Alex is heartbreaking

Comment by t.t – October 5, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes it is heartbreaking but real I went through something simular and my partner was the one who got the hard part but we made it. And I’m here today

Comment by Annieb – October 20, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m interested to see where they go with this storyline. I’d really like them to show the storyline more from Arizona’s point of view – she’s in a dark, dark place right now but we’ve primarily seen how it affects Callie. I’m looking forward to a more equal treatment as we get further into the season.

Comment by Kate – October 5, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Mark.

Comment by cas – October 5, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to hear this. Arizona is my favorite character. It will be cool to see her handle some dramatic stuff but I like her best when she is the fun one who is helping everyone else

Comment by AJ – October 5, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Childish….

Comment by LB – October 5, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems out of character for Arizona to be behaving like she is. She comes from a military family. She’s seen loss. She’s experienced loss. I think the first thing she’d be doing is thanking God that she’s alive and then dealing with the loss of her leg head-on. Not lashing out at those closest to her.

Comment by jeremiah – October 5, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be almost inhuman to demand such composure from anyone in the face of so much tragedy and loss. Give her time to adjust to her new reality. Geez…Even soldiers go through PTSD. Just because they look all put together doesn’t mean they are not torn up inside.

Comment by Ana – October 5, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was also in the woods for 4 days, with Christina picking bugs out of her leg and a dead coworker/friend being eaten by wolves a few yards away. I think it’s perfectly in character for her to be pissed and lashing out. I think it’s also safe to say that that kind of trauma easily changes the way you deal everything.

Comment by Lyria – October 5, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it makes perfect sense. She has already dealt with loss. She doesn’t see it as fair. Like she said to Alex, she is a good person, why is this happening to her? And right now, she can’t see anyone else’s pain.

Comment by Mandy – October 8, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Greys Anatomy and all of the characters and will ride along the ups and downs without second guessing, Shonda Rhimes and company are very talented and do not follow formulas. A nice change for network TV.
    I also love Private Practice and Scandal, which is very challenging.

Comment by Mary – October 5, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i miss lexi why did they kill her off :( also Christina graphic description of what was left of lexi come on how could she suffer that fate couldnt an animal eat mcdreary

Comment by Christine Fishlinger – October 5, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After 4 seasons, we finally get to see Arizona as a multi-dimensional character. One that struggles like everyone else and can be just as dark as she can be bubbly. Since she came on the show she’s been unrealistically supportive and light. The worst she did was break up with Callie at an airport but then she turned around and quit her dream to come back to her. Her journey has always been unexplored and lightly handled. I’m glad we will get to see more. And JCap completely hit it out of the park. And I’m also looking forward to seeing how Callie is going to handle so much loss…

Comment by Ana – October 5, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JCap & Arizona are fearless and amazing. Especially JCap in the face of a lot of ignorant people.

Comment by mcyummy – October 5, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mind you, she does have a massive fanbase. No wonder Shonda keeps her around. Sara & Jessica can bring it.

Comment by mcyummy – October 5, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Famous last words” from Shonda Rhimes. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve heard her talk about how things will be fun, sexy and beautiful or whatever for this or that character on Greys. Poor Callie and Arizona.

Comment by Carrie – October 6, 2012 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss mark

Comment by stephaine – October 7, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just caught up to the very last episode. Thanks netflix… I stated season 1 back in june and I just watched last weeks episode on my dvr this morning. I’m mad that both lexie and mark died, just wasn’t expecting it to happen. I’m not a big fan of arizona only because of how happy she always seems. Nobody is that happy all the time like she has been. Its good to see her in a different place. I don’t think she should be mad at alex either, its her own fault she took his spot on the plane. christina is coming back to seattle, right????

Comment by nate p – October 7, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if you go back to the argument that Alex and Arizona had she felt disrespected when Karev didn’t tell her about him choosing Hopkins instead Owen had to tell her, that’s where her being pissed off came from it hurt her, after everything they been through together she thought they where closer than that that’s what she meant about blaming him for what happened like Callie told him in season 8 “she loves you” and Alex didn’t understand that but i guess he does now.

Comment by felicia – October 11, 2012 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • to nate p, where are you viewing netflix from as I can’t find it on my netflix. I’ve watched live up to season 9 but no longer have tv so am missing season 9.

Comment by muffin – November 26, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure why, but I’ve never liked McPerky, otherwise known as Arizona. I would have voted her to die in the crash instead of Lexie. Rimes could have given Jessica Capshaw’s salary to Chyler as incentive to stay.

Comment by Carolyn – October 11, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JCAP isn’t going anywhere, she one half of the largest fandom in grey’s, chyler leaving was her choice and even if it wasn’t getting rid of Jessica/Arizona would be like getting of of derek or mer it ain’t happening and Calzona’s fanbase is larger then slexie’s anyway and Crowen put together

Comment by felicia – October 18, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Febuary that is a long wait to see them happy again the season is almost over by then.

Comment by Susanna – October 18, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post