Grey's Anatomy Boss Promises 'Sexy, Fun and Romance-y' Comeback For Callie and Arizona

Callie Arizona Grey's AnatomyListen up, weary ‘Calzona ‘shippers: There’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

Grey’s Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes is promising fans that the dark cloud hanging over Callie and Arizona in the wake of the latter’s life-saving leg amputation will disappear by February.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Jessica Capshaw Breaks Silence on Amputation Storyline

“Callie and Arizona are going to have a fun romance-y, sexy love life again,” the show’s creator wrote in a message posted on her WhoSay page. “And you are going to see it this season. That’s important to me. I stated in the Writers Room that Arizona could not lose a leg unless we were going to see how a person missing a leg could be sexy and fun and romance-y. So get ready for it – Arizona is gonna get her mojo back in a big way. And (spoiler alert!) it’s gonna happen before Valentine’s Day.”

The decision to have Arizona lose her leg stemmed from Rhimes’ desire to show “someone we love… go from being ambulatory to working on being ambulatory,” thus allowing the audience “to understand what it is like to be differently abled.”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Boss Reveals: Why I Killed McSteamy

Rhimes also made a point to praise Jessica Capshaw’s performance in this season’s first two episodes and beyond. “She is out of control fearless,” Rhimes raved. “It’s a pleasure to get to work with someone so game for the story.”

1. Cory says:

I just hope it doesn’t get too dark. This couple has already went to the darkest points and between Arizona’s issues and Mark’s death and raising Sophia, Callie has a crap load on her shoulders! Everyone on this show needs George… but oh that’s right… THEY KILLED HIM TOO!…. This show is knife happy!

• Christy says:

I really hope that they keep callie and arizona together through out the seasons. They make a great couple. Hate to see them apart.

2. Joanna says:

Seriously – Arizona makes me gag.

3. t.t says:

I hope they do her justice cause seeing Arizona pissed at both Callie and Alex is heartbreaking

• Annieb says:

Yes it is heartbreaking but real I went through something simular and my partner was the one who got the hard part but we made it. And I’m here today

4. Kate says:

I’m interested to see where they go with this storyline. I’d really like them to show the storyline more from Arizona’s point of view – she’s in a dark, dark place right now but we’ve primarily seen how it affects Callie. I’m looking forward to a more equal treatment as we get further into the season.

5. cas says:

I miss Mark.

6. AJ says:

So glad to hear this. Arizona is my favorite character. It will be cool to see her handle some dramatic stuff but I like her best when she is the fun one who is helping everyone else

7. LB says:

Childish….

8. jeremiah says:

It seems out of character for Arizona to be behaving like she is. She comes from a military family. She’s seen loss. She’s experienced loss. I think the first thing she’d be doing is thanking God that she’s alive and then dealing with the loss of her leg head-on. Not lashing out at those closest to her.

• Ana says:

It would be almost inhuman to demand such composure from anyone in the face of so much tragedy and loss. Give her time to adjust to her new reality. Geez…Even soldiers go through PTSD. Just because they look all put together doesn’t mean they are not torn up inside.

• Lyria says:

She was also in the woods for 4 days, with Christina picking bugs out of her leg and a dead coworker/friend being eaten by wolves a few yards away. I think it’s perfectly in character for her to be pissed and lashing out. I think it’s also safe to say that that kind of trauma easily changes the way you deal everything.

• Mandy says:

I think it makes perfect sense. She has already dealt with loss. She doesn’t see it as fair. Like she said to Alex, she is a good person, why is this happening to her? And right now, she can’t see anyone else’s pain.

9. Mary says:

I love Greys Anatomy and all of the characters and will ride along the ups and downs without second guessing, Shonda Rhimes and company are very talented and do not follow formulas. A nice change for network TV.
    I also love Private Practice and Scandal, which is very challenging.

10. i miss lexi why did they kill her off :( also Christina graphic description of what was left of lexi come on how could she suffer that fate couldnt an animal eat mcdreary

11. Ana says:

After 4 seasons, we finally get to see Arizona as a multi-dimensional character. One that struggles like everyone else and can be just as dark as she can be bubbly. Since she came on the show she’s been unrealistically supportive and light. The worst she did was break up with Callie at an airport but then she turned around and quit her dream to come back to her. Her journey has always been unexplored and lightly handled. I’m glad we will get to see more. And JCap completely hit it out of the park. And I’m also looking forward to seeing how Callie is going to handle so much loss…

12. mcyummy says:

JCap & Arizona are fearless and amazing. Especially JCap in the face of a lot of ignorant people.

13. mcyummy says:

Mind you, she does have a massive fanbase. No wonder Shonda keeps her around. Sara & Jessica can bring it.

14. Carrie says:

“Famous last words” from Shonda Rhimes. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve heard her talk about how things will be fun, sexy and beautiful or whatever for this or that character on Greys. Poor Callie and Arizona.

15. stephaine says:

I miss mark

16. nate p says:

I just caught up to the very last episode. Thanks netflix… I stated season 1 back in june and I just watched last weeks episode on my dvr this morning. I’m mad that both lexie and mark died, just wasn’t expecting it to happen. I’m not a big fan of arizona only because of how happy she always seems. Nobody is that happy all the time like she has been. Its good to see her in a different place. I don’t think she should be mad at alex either, its her own fault she took his spot on the plane. christina is coming back to seattle, right????

• felicia says:

if you go back to the argument that Alex and Arizona had she felt disrespected when Karev didn’t tell her about him choosing Hopkins instead Owen had to tell her, that’s where her being pissed off came from it hurt her, after everything they been through together she thought they where closer than that that’s what she meant about blaming him for what happened like Callie told him in season 8 “she loves you” and Alex didn’t understand that but i guess he does now.

• muffin says:

to nate p, where are you viewing netflix from as I can’t find it on my netflix. I’ve watched live up to season 9 but no longer have tv so am missing season 9.

17. Carolyn says:

I’m not sure why, but I’ve never liked McPerky, otherwise known as Arizona. I would have voted her to die in the crash instead of Lexie. Rimes could have given Jessica Capshaw’s salary to Chyler as incentive to stay.

• felicia says:

JCAP isn’t going anywhere, she one half of the largest fandom in grey’s, chyler leaving was her choice and even if it wasn’t getting rid of Jessica/Arizona would be like getting of of derek or mer it ain’t happening and Calzona’s fanbase is larger then slexie’s anyway and Crowen put together

18. Susanna says:

Febuary that is a long wait to see them happy again the season is almost over by then.