Exclusive

Exclusive Post Mortem: Glee Boss on 'Break-Up' Fallout, Promises 'Nothing Is Set in Stone' - Plus: Cory Monteith 'Sad, Nostalgic' in Episode's Wake

If you have yet to watch this week’s “Break-Up”-themed Glee, think twice before proceeding. Everyone else, dry those tears and read on…

They were the splits heard ’round the world — but will any of ‘em stick?

In the wake of Thursday’s game-altering Glee, which saw three of the show’s most popular couples (Rachel/Finn, Kurt/Blaine, Brittany/Santana) go their separate ways, exec producer Brad Falchuk tells TVLine exclusively that those relationships aren’t necessarily over for good.

RELATED | Glee ‘Break-Up’ Recap — Which Split Was the Most Painful?

“Nothing is set in stone,” he assures fans. “For now things are different. But that there’s an enormous amount of love there, so there’s a great chance of a lot of them getting back together.”

Falchuk says the episode’s primary goal was to “shake everything up” as Glee heads deeper into its current fourth season — a prospect Finn’s portrayer, Cory Monteith, finds bittersweet.

“All of the possibilities are really exciting,” he says. “But there’s still a apart of me that’s nostalgic. It’s hard. I’ve always had such a personal attachment to the ‘Finchel’ storyline, and there’s real doubt as to whether or not they’ll ever get back together again. So to see it potentially go by the wayside is very sad.”

RELATED | Cory Monteith on Passing the Glee Torch to [Spoiler]

Darren Criss, meanwhile, lauds the show’s creative minds for dealing with young romance realistically — particularly with regard to Blaine’s apparent infidelity. “It was really hard for [Blaine] to be apart [from Kurt] and it took its toll,” he muses. “It’s a part of life.

“The fans are going to go crazy,” Criss acknowledges, “which is nice because it means they like Blaine and Kurt. I was certainly as sad as any fan of the couple. But they established something so real and I think lasting [with Kurt and Blaine], regardless of what happens next.”

1. Gleek1 says:

Well, while my respect for Finchel has not increased in any way, my love for Rachel and Finn as individuals has definitely grown.

Rachel has always been the selfish spotlight-hogging girl who creeped Finn out when they first met. Yes, she betrayed him by going with Brody. Yes, she’s adopted a new look. Yes, she’s taken advantage of her independence. Fact of the matter is, she is now a grown woman, which is definitely a pivotal point for Rachel’s character. I was very impressed with the way she’s been standing up to everyone.

Finn lost my respect last season when he pulled out the engagement ring and tossed the college pamphlets into the trash and neglected every bit of guidance that Rachel, Kurt, Will, and Emma gave him. Now he realizes that he has no place in this world and he’s back in Lima. He’s a little fish in a huge ocean. This is actually a fantastic thing. Now Finn has an opportunity to grow and discover HIMSELF. I don’t like it when Finn is nothing more than the quarterback of the football team, Rachel’s boyfriend, Kurt’s step-brother, and the lead male in Glee Club. I want to see what he’s doing as a career. We know Mercedes is trying to become a singer. We know Mike’s becoming a dancer. We know Rachel’s heading for Broadway. We know Kurt’s in fashion. We know Santana and Quinn are in college. Even Puck’s pool cleaning. Finn hasn’t made up his mind yet, and that’s the angle they should take with Season 4, letting him find out what he’s truly passionate about. I’ve always loved Cory’s acting, but it was spot-on this episode.

Amazing episode tonight! And I know a lot of you may disagree with me, but I loved Kitty in this episode too. I’ve put all of her quotes down in my ‘memorable quotes’ page. When I was a sophomore (Kitty/Marley/Jake/Ryder folks are sophomores), my chemistry teacher left the room for 30 seconds, so my class shut off all the lights, hid under the lab tables, and he came back into the room and thought we had all left the building. xD So yeah. The “Left Behind” club definitely flooded all the sophomore year memories back into my mind. While Kitty’s character depth is shallow and not so dynamic and round yet, she’s my favorite newbie so far along with Marley.

And clarification: I do not watch this show for ships. I don’t care who gets together or breaks up. I watch Glee because it was intended to be a show about underdogs. A lot of the characters tonight have become underdogs again, making it feel like Season 1’s glory days. :)

2. Grace says:

Glee is not a comedy, even though the emys says it is. it is the life of american teenagers and how they go through their life from being bullyed to being on top of the world. it is to show different views of teenagers, cheerleaders, popular, unpopular, poor, rich, disabled and different sexs. get your head into it people the show is trying to tell everyone that not everyone has a happy ending!!

• Gleek1 says:

I agree about the happy ending thing. I feel like Finchel shippers think this is Cinderella where a man sweeps a princess off her feet and they live happily ever after. That’s not the way real life works. There are struggles. People cheat. People get confused. I feel like Finchel’s portrayal is perfect, though I disagreed with their engagement.

But I also think that Glee can still be a comedy. I’m probably the only one who thinks this, but I thought that Kitty’s role was very comedic. But maybe that’s because a lot of viewers are too “grown-up” to appreciate how childish the fake Rapture was. These are 15-year-old kids. Of course they should be doing silly immature stuff like that. xD I can’t wait for Sue and Roz to come back though. Those two are what defines Glee’s comedy.

• LisaM says:

I’m a Finchel fan and I have never thought their portrayal was “perfect.” On the contrary, I think they’re the most complex couples on Glee. Their high school romance was because they saw each other not as real people, but as idealized versions. I think the test will really come from now, because as a TV show. Of course their path will cross again.

3. Amy says:

My problem with the episode was it left it where everyone can still return to the show for some reason or another with the exception of Santana. She is one of my faves, I’m hoping she’ll be back.

4. Danielle says:

I feel Finn and Rachel are like Ross and Rachel from Friends. They come together, they break apart but that love is always there. Let them be apart and experience life and other people but in the end they are meant for each other.

5. Em says:

I think I can honestly say that I won’t be watching glee as faithfully any more. Now. Before y’all bite my head off. It doesn’t have everything to do with the couples splits. First off the air time change. It airs at the exact same time as Grey’s Anatomy. Uh. Guess which one is more popular? Secondly. The split story line. Thirdly. The splits. I can see Glee making it past this season- but I really don’t know about the next.

6. bella says:

I really do hope at some point Finchel can get back together cause honestly they really were my favorite couple and I agree Rachel needs to get her foot in the door, which I’m sure she will, but Fin needs to find himself and I really hope they show parts of him finding himself and not completely cut him out. Please no he’s my fav<3

7. Emma says:

Of course nothing about Brittana.. What a joke last nights episode was.

8. Krista says:

I am betting that Ryan Murphy is LOVING this feed back!
    On a GOOD note for future episodes, who is excited about Grease being the McKinley school play?? I certainly am!!
    Let’s not dwell on the relationships and focus on the greatness of the show! :) Things in real life have their ups and downs and Glee does a wonderful job showing that!

9. Hannah says:

Oh sweet lord I like Glee as much as the next person but you’re all discussing it like its real. It’s a tv show. Jeez!

10. Rayne says:

From Ryan Murphy’s Q&A on twitter on 08/31/12 ‘Finchel, Klaine, Brittanna, Faberry…ever-lasting…’ and as to Kurt and his life ‘Happy happy happy…then sad…then happier happier,’

11. Jordan Le Bouton says:

I think we love especially Rachel and Finn as much as we do is because from the very begining they knew they liked each other and evey week they evolved into a loving couple. We all just want to be loved. Can you imagine how good they are as actors to make us feel Finn is a dumb jock and Rachel is so focused on herself? WhenFinn stood outside that concert room door and told Rachel he
    loved her well you just knew he meant it. He takes care of her when
    they dance. It makes me want a love like that. I love Kurt but never felt the connection between him and Blaine. Santana was a beautiful witch and when Brittany was allowed to shine boy did she shine. I am not crazy about new kids except Jake. He has an amazing voice. Long live Glee. And I do believe this is not the end of Finn and Rachel. All of us girls know boys take longer to grow into themselves.

12. natalie says:

im totally devo about santanna nd brittany’s break up … makes me wanna cry…. im hoping they get back together on the ASAP they are the best

13. cris nunes says:

i really think they all did a great, great job in this episode! And HeMo is becoming a good actress, that scene with Naya was amazing, i cried with them. Finchel is forever, i hope they’ll get back together as soon is possible. And yes, i said to myself “i’ll never, ever will watch Glee again”, turns out that today i just did, i watched today. The true gleeks, that ones who loves this show will never give up. But, i think the showrunners should put more coherence in Glee, couples are always coming and going, it sucks. Maybe Ryan Murphy is very busy with his other shows and is taking Glee in jest. The proof is: in the Makeover episode, when blaine calls kurt on the phone, but he didn’t answer, in Kurt’s cell phone has a photo of the two, it happens that they’re in this picture with the same clothes that they wear in the break-up scene. What they think? That we all stupid? I love Glee, and i probably always will, but this is have to change. I really miss the season one.

14. Karolina says:

I can’t believe this!! I see “glee” especially by “brittana” and Naya Rivera! We want more Brittana! Just.. that!

15. Helen says:

I think that the break- ups suck, but then again they have their advantages. Rachel has gained more confidence and strength, which has made her feel sexy in her own skin. It’s fun to watch her actually stand up to Finn instead of falling on her knees to him like always. While I don’t believe in what Blaine did, Kurt has realized the neglect and pain he dished out. I feel like after Kurt feeds his need for revenge, they’ll consider getting back together depending on how Blaine takes the news if Kurt even tells him.

• Cindy Stevens says:

I really do not understand this bashing of Kurt. Kurt was where Blaine told him to go! He got a job and has a right to be excited about it. If Blaine can’t have patience for a few weeks, he deserves to lose Kurt! And Blaine did much more with Sebastian than Kurt did with Chandler. Blaine is a hypocrite!

16. Cath says:

And now I will insert my comment that I doubt anyone will even read.
    For all the people that are being sour about the acting in this episode, I for one think that they were all really good. Even Heather Morris, who I never thought was a good actress, (though I forgave her because she isn’t really an actress but rather a dancer) pulled through. I’m biased, because I love Finchel the most, but I also really like Klaine and Brittana. Anyway, I feel like even if it is unrealistic for them all to get back together it would still happen because in my mind Glee’s viewers are made up of three different types of people; the Finchel shippers, the Klaine shippers, and the Brittana shippers. If none of the three couples got back together then the show would lose A LOT of viewers-more than they already have lost/can afford to lose. Also, I don’t think that it is too unrealistic that they all get back together, really. I think that in Finchel’s case, Finn needs to find who he is (does anyone else think he would make an amazing teacher?) and Rachel needs to one, stop wearing so much eye makeup and two explore New York a little bit more. Klaine just needs some air. Honestly, those two have been like the old married couple of the show for so long I was getting really bored, so this’ll be interesting. And I understand Blaine not wanting to feel lonely but no one can honestly justify his cheating. Brittana- it just didn’t hit me that hard. I LOVED Naya’s rendition of Mine (even though they butchered it in the episode cutting wise), but ‘an energy exchange’? Really? Well, whatever. I just feel like that couple needs a little more story to them. And Wemma I just feel like they’re getting older and Ryan just needs to let them get married and live happily ever after. But seriously, this fandom is made up of so many people that just constantly hate on other couples besides their favorite, and it is getting very, very old. Grow up and learn to respect other’s opinions. Not everyone thinks the same way you do.

17. Laura says:

This episode almost had me in tears~ <3 Santana was so right and smart when she broke up with Brittany. She knew how hard it was and knew they probably wouldn't make it anyways. I was half afraid at first that she was going to ask Brittany to drop out of HS and go live with her. XD I think for Klaine that the cheating was a bit much. Even in previous episodes when Kurt first left I could feel how hurt and alone Blaine was feeling when he didn't get to talk to Kurt. That alone would cause a large enough problem and, in my opinion, a more realistic one for the couple. (I still loved them though XD) As for Finchel, I'm glad that they're officially over. Yeah the two had a good run and they made some stupid mistakes, but they were high school sweethearts. I think that's the end for them and if it isn't then I think it should be. I loved following their story, don't get me wrong, but all good things come to an end. Plus I think Brody just fits better with Rachel. [:

18. jukepop says:

The lengths Darren Criss fangirls go to justify every single one of Blaine’s actions is truly sad. You can like the actor and at least have enough objectivity to see that the character is the one to blame, plus, it’s not even the first time. He was texting with Sebastian like it was nothing for a long time even though Kurt didn’t like it one bit, now he slept with some guy. The way that guy chatted him up is characteristic of a random hook up, not just one kiss, and it is unforgivable.

I’ll always think it is funny how despite being a fan of ‘Klaine’, which is two people, most of you are quick and comfortable with putting the blame on Kurt/Chris Colfer no matter what.

• Forever_Klaine says:

I don’t think Kurt is to blame completely and I dislike people who say he is, but I have learnt recently not everything is black and white and while it was wrong of Blaine on many levels to cheat, I think with just how hurt Blaine was when Kurt ignored him, that would have been more realistic. I think the writers let us down in this area and made it un-realistic for his character, and this has jaded my view of Blaine but I can’t help but still love him and now everyone see’s his just HUMAN and he makes mistakes. His been kicked off the pedestal at last. FYI I love Kurt/Chris as much as Blaine/Darren.

19. GermanGleek says:

This episode made me cry so hard. Watching Brittany cry was so painful. Heather did an amazing job. It broke my heart. Yes, my heart broke because my favorite TV-couple broke up. I know it sounds stupid, but I was so into their relationship. Naya and Heather are freaking awesome. But dear god-or-whoever, why? Why did it have to be Brittana? Santana fought so hard for their relationship! And now it’s over? I know it’s ‘just a TV-Show’ and that it’s ‘not real’ But gosh, can you even imagine how many (younger) girls you helped to come out? To go through all that stuff? Obviously no, or you wouldn’t let them break up. They were so damn adorable! They still are! And they deserve more time on screen! I said my heart is broken. You know how to mend it? PUT THEM BACK TOGETHER!

20. Cristina says:

Finn sucks from the first season. He was perfect for the old Rachel but now, the new Rachel need a very hot guy like Brody. They are perfect together!!!!

21. Karen Jensen says:

I am sad to see the breakups too and to be honest I am not sure if I like the way the show is going. I am a big fan of Rachel and Finn they are so good together. I do understand growing up when you leave high school it is just so different then it was . I love the music on the show . But I am not sure how long I will keep watching it right now I will till I see what happens.

22. JudiS says:

I don’t care what anyone says, Glee is one of my favorite shows. They don’t sugar coat how real life is. I love Finn & Rachel together, if they get back together great but lets face it high school loves never last. The show is far from dead. If u chooseto stop watching it then that’s ur choice but ur missing out on a great show.

23. I beg you. Please. Bring. Brittana. Back. So my heart will be filled with joy again. You don’t know how much they mean to me. Please?..

24. leigh says:

I loved this episode. The show is about high school. Teenagers make no sense and do stupid stuff to each other. Why insist they act like adults when they aren’t? Wonderful acting and I can’t wait to see what happens next.

25. isabelle says:

So they made Blaine cheat cuz they Glee wanted to learn us a life lesson…? Like the episode with suicide and now cheating…?

26. chrisyu says:

i think darren & chris did really well in this episode. Chris has always been an amazing actor, i didnt really like darren’s acting during the last 2 seasons. But hes improved alot, he did very well on teenage dream. I think kurt should date other people. But in the end, i would hope they would get back together. I really wish they didnt use the cheating storyline. I love klaine a lot, but they need time apart , blaine really needs to work on himself and kurt needs to explore new york and the people as a single guy.

27. eahjagejhaf says:

it feels like ryan murphy bought me cat, let me fall in love with it, then snuck into my house and punched me in the face and took the cat……ryan murphy you better go in hiding, why break up everyone..

28. Danny says:

All I have to say is, Santana better stay on this show! It’s important for people to see lesbian relationships too! The struggles she had are very true! She needs to show what it’s like after ”it gets better.” Besides, she’s the most gorgeous one on the whole show! :-)

29. culturechange says:

I’m not quite as invested as many seem to be about these characters, but I did like the Blaine and Kurt combination and that is a first for me with a fictional tv nontraditional couple . Real life nontraditional I’m fine with, I’ve just never liked how these relationships are portrayed due to the stereotyping too often portrayed by the very people/writers you would expect to break those stereotypes. So that being said WHAT THE HECK ARE THE WRITERS OF GLEE THINKING! The love this couple had for each other and the way it was portrayed has/had done more good toward changing mindsets of general public than anything else I’ve seen. Suddenly you have a sweet young couple “normal” in every other way that people can relate to and this is just another part of them and the general public (not just those already completely accepting of this nontraditional lifestyle) falls in love with them and is actually rooting for the relationship. So what do the writers do next but throw all of that away by having one cheat on the other the second they aren’t together every day AND to do said cheating with someone that NO in person relationship no matter how minute had been established with, just some facebook connection. Doing it this way just fed right back into that stereotype of not being a valid lifestyle and more an excuse for bedhopping and having no scruples, etc., that is commonly portrayed and believed by a lot (maybe majority) of the population. People in general are easily influenced and for things like voting for marriage equality, if there is a sense of personal involvement even for fictional characters that you would like to see them marry and/or starting a family, they are more likely to support it than if it’s just an abstract and something that many are taught from a young age is wrong and is easier to keep believing what you are taught than to turn things upside down by really having to think about it and form your own beliefs. These writers just did a huge disservice to the nontraditional community no matter what approach they take from here, even if it’s revealed to be kissing instead of sleeping as was implyed. Yes real life couples often move past things like infidelity, but right now if public opinion is to be changed to the point of same sex marriage or PDA between same sex in public being seen no differently than between opposite sex then a higher bar has to be kept to even if ultimately unrealistic for traditional or nontraditional couples. The writers had a chance here to draw more people in to a couple that I think is the first truly loved gay couple on television and change more minds. After a season and a half of seeing massive changes in public attraction of these characters I just don’t get why the writers have chosen to drop that progress and play back into a stereotype especially given that at least one of the writers is himself gay.

30. noro says:

not watching glee anymore until i get finchel back finchel 4 eva (& brody no way don’t like him)

31. Timmy says:

KURT AND BLAINE DID NOT BREAK UP!!! FFS. WE DONT KNOW IF THEY DID. BLAINE DOESNT EVEN KNOW. SO STFUB.! I AM UPSET THAT BLAINE DID CHEAT BUT EVERYONE MAKE MISTAKES AND IF THIS MAKESS YOU HATE BLAINE I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR YOU .I DONT SEE YOU HATIN ON PUCK WHEN HE CHEATED OR ON QUINN. SO GIVE HIM A BREAK!

• king says:

thank you! and while we’re on the subject kurt flirted with that other guy! no it didnt go anywhere but they both sorta semi-cheated! but i love them both dearly anyway<3

• Cindy Stevens says:

Hooking up sexually with someone is a completely different ball game than texting. And Blaine first did a lot more with Sebastian (meeting him in secret, talking on the phone and texting) than Kurt ever did with Chandler.

32. Jill says:

Brittana forever! Santana did do the mature thing by saying they need a break because of the distance. I really hope they go the Brittdependce route right now Brittany needs to focus on graduating so she can be there for Santana when she does go to NY. Santana needs to be independent too to follow her dreams of being a performer or whatever she is going to do in NY. While I’m glad they are still somewhat still together and I’m not happy that they will be allowed to see other people. Since they are the reason I started watching in the first place. I’m bi and they, especially Brittany, helped me come out and helped my relationship with my parents, which is why I really hope they don’t put her with a guy because my parents are still on the fence about it, but its glee so that wouldn’t surprise me If Bram happened I just hope they end up like Bartie nothing serious, because glee loves those love triangles. Brittana was treated horribly as a couple last season Brittany not being a part of Santana’s coming out episode, instead it was saint Finn. Sam will be Brittany’s saint Finn if they get together another Ikag or ihag 2.0. A sex tape storyline that was really offensive imo. To have there first real private conversation about taking a break and then have them or one of them date other people, getting everything Brittana should have gotten last season is a big slap in the face for me. There “unofficial breakup” really seemed kind of like a last second add in just like Wemma. The thing that saved it for me was the fact that Heather and Naya did an amazing job there chemistry is unreal. I am going to be taking a break from Glee for a while because I have no interest in seeing Santana or Brittany with other people, unless I hear news they are getting back together I am finally free from this show for good.

33. Caro says:

I think this episode was well done and very realistic. Finn can’t keep jumping in and out of his relationship w/Rachel like a jack in the box. It’s nice to see Rachel stand up for herself and walk away until and unless Finn can truly commit to her which I hope happens since I really only watch Glee for Finchel. Blaine cheating on Kurt wasn’t a surprise and again, it rang true. Brittany and Santana…you could see that one coming for miles. Especially the way they’ve been pushing Sam and Britt together though I don’t like that pairing. I think Sam and Marley have better chemistry. Jake and Marley don’t work for me though none of the newbies really do…I just can’t bring myself to care about any of them. Oh well…hopefully we’ll see Finn and Rachel grow as individuals and find their way back to one another soon!

34. Ali says:

“The Breakup” was truly excellent though it was so sad-it shows why Cory & Lea are such key characters… I am a Finchel fan, but I think it is realistic for the characters to discover themselves and mature and hopefully get together for good.

People always mention how unrealistic it is for High School sweethearts-though personally that is my life (we didn’t date continuously since we had a one year breakup) and even endured long distance since I went to college out-of-state…today we have been best friends for 12 years and married for 4…..so yeah it can work :). I have faith that Finchel can give hope to these type of relationships…..

35. janne says:

I agree with so many people here, I’m so sad that Finn and Rachel broke up. But this break can maybe make them stronger characters in the future and when they are ready then they can get back together again. I just hope it doesn’t take a whole season for them to get back together.

36. king says:

i have to say if they really do breakup klein i may or may not have to boycott the show… Still debating that but prob wont watch it as avidly.

37. Enzo says:

Where is Quinn? Something I feel that she will be back and hook up with Finn and direct the new directions while Kate Hudson sleeps with Brody and Rachel runs after Finn I so see this happening.

38. I would surely give 10 on 10 for such incredible content.

39. Jillian says:

“I’ve always had such a personal attachment to the ‘Finchel’ storyline, and there’s real doubt as to whether or not they’ll ever get back together again.
    WTF!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????? WELL THEN DONT SEPARATE THEM FOR GOOD. I WANT FINCHEL BACK SO THEY BETTER NOT KEEP DEBATING OR DOUBTING THAT THEY DO NOT GET BACK TOGETHER. GLEE IS OVER FOR ME IF THEY DO NOT REUNITE. THE GREATEST LOVE ON THE SHOW AND THEY ARE GOING TO IGNORE IT!!!! KURT AND BLAINE/ SANTANA AND BRITTANY (NO OFFENSE) BUT WHO CARES!!!! NEVER GOT ATTACHED TO THEM.
    I GUARANTEE RATINGS WILL DROP IF FINCHEL IS NOT REUNITED.

40. Gleek4Life says:

Quinn can get with Brody

41. Okay all I want is Brittana back together.

42. Great post. I’m dealing with a few of these issues as well..

43. Tim says:

Yaaaaaay it’s 2013 and I haven’t watched a single ep of the new season. My protest to the handling of the finchel storyline continues. Someone in this thread made a comment about breaking up being realistic… How about the realism of a couple that stays together and builds a life. or has no-one actually experienced how tough and rewarding it can be.